Good old films (1 Viewer)

Gazolba

Just seen "Carry on Cabby" from 1963
With Sidney James, Hattie Jacques, Kenneth Connor, Charles Hawtrey, Esma Cannon, Liz Frazer.
Great film!
Plot: Workaholic cab company owner's (Sidney James) neglected wife (Hattie Jacques) secretly forms her own competitor cab company staffed by gorgeous mini-skirted drivers who proceed to steal all of her husband's customers.
Funny with great acting, Charles Hawtrey brilliant as an accident-prone cab driver.
See it somehow if you can.

Ranjit Bhurpa

Just seen "Carry on Cabby" from 1963
With Sidney James, Hattie Jacques, Kenneth Connor, Charles Hawtrey, Esma Cannon, Liz Frazer.
Great film!
Plot: Workaholic cab company owner's (Sidney James) neglected wife (Hattie Jacques) secretly forms her own competitor cab company staffed by gorgeous mini-skirted drivers who proceed to steal all of her husband's customers.
Funny with great acting, Charles Hawtrey brilliant as an accident-prone cab driver.
See it somehow if you can.
One of the last Norman Hudis scripted Carry Ons I think before they took a more risque approach. The film was a good promotional vehicle for the Ford Motor Company too.

Otis

One of the last Norman Hudis scripted Carry Ons I think before they took a more risque approach. The film was a good promotional vehicle for the Ford Motor Company too.
I really didn't care for the Carry On series at all, but the first 2 or 3 were good, before it all went down double 'hit you over the head with a sledgehammer ' entendre territory.

Ranjit Bhurpa

I really didn't care for the Carry On series at all, but the first 2 or 3 were good, before it all went down double 'hit you over the head with a sledgehammer ' entendre territory.

Think that was mainly due to the change of scriptwriter after the first 4 or 5 films plus a greater emphasis as you say on the double entendre and saucy seaside postcard humour. Whilst they were far from classics, I grew up with them and they were always on in our house, so when I see them even for the umpteenth time, I'm reminded of fond memories from my childhood and teen years.

Otis

Think that was mainly due to the change of scriptwriter after the first 4 or 5 films plus a greater emphasis as you say on the double entendre and saucy seaside postcard humour. Whilst they were far from classics, I grew up with them and they were always on in our house, so when I see them even for the umpteenth time, I'm reminded of fond memories from my childhood and teen years.
Yeah, get all that.

I am the same with Opportunity Knocks.

Gazolba

"Carry on Cabby" 1963
The rival cab company (Glamcabs). Anyone know who the brunette in the middle is?:
Carry-on-Cabby-1.jpg

Gazolba

If you mean the lady to Amanda Barrie's right, I believe it is Carole Shelley.
Thanks for the clues.
After looking at their other photos, I believe Amanda Barrie is the brunette that I mean.
She also played a character (Alma Sedgewick) on Coronation Street for 20 years.
Amanda-Barrie-Coronation-St.jpg

Johnnythespider

Thanks for the clues.
After looking at their other photos, I believe Amanda Barrie is the brunette that I mean.
View attachment 7998
She also played Cleopatra in carry on Cleo

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
3bf1a4e671a2ddf3da865e15587b45d7.jpg

Ranjit Bhurpa

Thanks for the clues.
View attachment 7998
My interpretation of brunette sorry. Certainly a very attractive lady in Cabby, Cleo and even in Corrie.
From the line up in Cabby, my favourite is the one nearest the camera. Although she is probably in her seventies now and might have trouble finding first gear.

Gazolba

Just watched "Sex and the Single Girl" 1964
With Tony Curtis, Natalie Wood, Henry Fonda, Lauren Bacall
Great film. Natalie Wood is stunning in this.
Lauren Bacall has some great lines.
Interesting plot with some very clever and funny scenes.
Sex-Single-Girl-1.jpg

Gazolba

The Shining is a masterpiece - like a lot of Kubrick films.
I agree but just lately I've needed movies that make me laugh rather than think too much.
"Sex and the Single Girl" has some hilarious scenes, like the bathroom scene where everything is coin-operated, even the mirrors.

jimmyhillsfanclub

I had a rather vivid dream last night that was in the movie, "Jubilee"......

Now, It is well over 25 years since I seen it so I cannot vouch for it being "good"....but it was certainly bizarre in the extreme......anyone else ever seen it?

jimmyhillsfanclub

Bad boy bubby is another weird one....but its a good weird one...

....I (sort of) remember watching this on lsd in an arthouse cinema somewhere in dublin.....

Gazolba

"The Three Faces of Eve" 1957
Watched it last night.
Joanne Woodward (who won an Oscar for it) played Eve.
Lee J. Cobb is the psychiatrist and David Wayne the disbelieving husband.
It's based on a true story of a woman with multiple personalities.
Reading Wikipedia about it, they took lots of liberties with the storyline but still a fascinating film.
Three-Faces-Of-Eve.jpg

Last edited:

Gazolba

"Goodbye Mr. Chips" from 1939
With Robert Donat and Greer Garson.
I'd seen the 1969 version, which I liked, but this one is the best.
Truly a classic film that could never be improved upon.
The actors and actresses just don't exist to make a film like this today.

Ranjit Bhurpa

"Goodbye Mr. Chips" from 1939
With Robert Donat and Greer Garson.
I'd seen the 1969 version, which I liked, but this one is the best.
Truly a classic film that could never be improved upon.
The actors and actresses just don't exist to make a film like this today.
Are you the film critic for Saga magazine by any chance Gazolba?

Gazolba

Are you the film critic for Saga magazine by any chance Gazolba?
No, in fact I rarely watch any film made before 1960 but that one intrigued me because I'd seen the later version and not the original.
I have access to a large number of older films and just lately I've been watching one almost every day.
However, I must admit I enjoy older films so much more than modern ones.
My favourites are mostly from the 1960's since I believe that was the most creative period in film making.

Gazolba

"Murder She Said" 1961 with Margaret Rutherford as "Miss Marple".
I love these films, Margaret Rutherford is brilliant as the amateur sleuth who everyone thinks is a 'dotty old maid'.
Of course, she always proves them wrong with her dogged persistence and keen deduction skills.
This one is very good with some fine supporting actors.

torchomatic

I love these films, Margaret Rutherford is brilliant as the amateur sleuth who everyone thinks is a 'dotty old maid'.
Of course, she always proves them wrong with her dogged persistence and keen deduction skills.

Yeah, love those films. We bought the box set a few years ago.

Gazolba

"From the Earth to the Moon" 1958, based on an 1865 Jules Verne novel.
Two rival scientists, one motivated by fame and the other by fortune, reluctantly collaborate on an attempt to land on the moon.
Typical 1950's projections of the future with the 'rocket-ship' being shot out of a cannon like a gigantic bullet.
The fuel for the rocket is the mysterious 'Power X'.
Very good film exploring the best and worst of human motivations.
Fromtheearthtoothemoon.jpg

Ranjit Bhurpa

For me she was the definitive version of Miss Marple and the set of films are very nostalgic.
Margaret was quite astute in real life, insisting that her husband always had a role in her films.

Gazolba

"World Without End" from 1956
One of the first films featuring Rod Taylor.
A spaceflight returning to Earth from Mars is caught in a vortex and catapulted 600 years into the future.
They eventually land on an unknown planet that turns out to be an unrecognisable Earth.
After a nuclear catastrophe, Earth is inhabited by mutants and a few 'normal' survivors that live in an underground world.
The women among the survivors are of course all gorgeous and wearing miniskirts, but still do the domestic duties.
Interesting sci-fi film with a non-traditional ending.
Worldwithoutend-resized.jpg

Grendel

The short story horror movies from the late 60's and early 70's always remain watchable - Asylum, Dr Terrors House of Horrors etc.

Gazolba

The short story horror movies from the late 60's and early 70's always remain watchable - Asylum, Dr Terrors House of Horrors etc.
Probably not what you are referring to, but I liked "The Tingler" and "The Blood Beast Terror" (What a title!)
Basically anything with Vincent Price, Christopher Lee, or Peter Cushing is good.
"The Blood Beast Terror" has the bonus of featuring the beautiful Wanda Ventham.

Grendel

Probably not what you are referring to, but I liked "The Tingler" and "The Blood Beast Terror" (What a title!)
Basically anything with Vincent Price, Christopher Lee, or Peter Cushing is good.
"The Blood Beast Terror" has the bonus of featuring the beautiful Wanda Ventham.

I don't think Wanda appearance in Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter was a great addition to the CV

Users who are viewing this thread