Good old films (1 Viewer)

Astute

I am not a big film fan. Watch most only once. The good ones a few times. But one of my favourites hasn't been mentioned. I love a good comedy. Stops me from falling asleep. I used to watching Airplane when shitfaced. You know what is going to happen next. But it still makes you laugh.

War films got mentioned. But not Battle of Britain. Personal stories and showing how bad it was and how close it came to being a different result.

Other good films I enjoyed were One flew over the cuckoo's nest, The green mile, Rocky and the Elephant man.

Otis

I am not a big film fan. Watch most only once. The good ones a few times. But one of my favourites hasn't been mentioned. I love a good comedy. Stops me from falling asleep. I used to watching Airplane when shitfaced. You know what is going to happen next. But it still makes you laugh.

War films got mentioned. But not Battle of Britain. Personal stories and showing how bad it was and how close it came to being a different result.

Other good films I enjoyed were One flew over the cuckoo's nest, The green mile, Rocky and the Elephant man.
Rocky and the Elephant Man? Not seen that one.

Does the Elephant Man's face end up looking the way it does because it has been pummelled to death by Sylvester Stallone?

Astute

Rocky and the Elephant Man? Not seen that one.

Does the Elephant Man's face end up looking the way it does because it has been pummelled to death by Sylvester Stallone?
You need to watch the Elephant man. Watched it in the cinema when it came out. Wasn't old enough but my mother took me in. Was shot in black and white. Gave the film something extra. One of them films that stays with you.

Or maybe I wasn't fully awake then :smuggrin:

Otis

You need to watch the Elephant man. Watched it in the cinema when it came out. Wasn't old enough but my mother took me in. Was shot in black and white. Gave the film something extra. One of them films that stays with you.
Of course I have seen it.

Great film.

Adge

Not a classic but certainly worth a watch which I watched the other night is Hacksaw Ridge.

Gazolba

Last night it was "A Taste of Honey" from 1961.
With Rita Tushingham (her film debut), Dora Bryan and Murray Melvin (love that guy).
Murray Melvin is one of those actors who popped up in everything but never became that well known. Not good-looking enough to play a leading man, I guess.
Apparently he was in the very first episiode of The Avengers. I believe he was in 'Alfie' too.
Here's a scene from the film with Rita Tushingham and Murray Melvin.
Taste-of-Honey.jpg

Last edited:

Badger

For a laugh Blazing Saddles, 1974 I can watch this over and over. The last scene in the canteen spoils it though
Following on from Miss Marple, Peter Ustinov is who I always think of as Poirot

Otis

For a laugh Blazing Saddles, 1974 I can watch this over and over. The last scene in the canteen spoils it though
Following on from Miss Marple, Peter Ustinov is who I always think of as Poirot
I like that last scene. Nod to the old days of Hollywood and all the different sound stages etc.

Gazolba

Gazolba

Just watched "School for Scoundrels" from 1960 with Ian Carmichael, Terry-Thomas, Alastair Sim and Janette Scott.
Interesting movie with some very funny moments.
I always love anything with Terry-Thomas in it and Janette Scott is gorgeous in this.
School-For-Scoundrels-2.jpg

Gazolba

"The Belles of St. Trinians" 1954 with Alastair Sim and Joyce Grenfell.
The raucous goings-on at a girls boarding school.
The plot involves stealing a racehorse.
Funny film with Alastair Sim playing both the school headmistress and her twin brother!
Belles-of-St-Trinians-1-resized.jpg Belles-of-St-Trinians-2-resized.jpg

Gazolba

"Murder at the Gallop" from 1963
With Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple
Charles Tingwell brilliant as the police inspector
Robert Morley and Flora Robson in excellent supporting roles.
My favourite of the four Miss Marple murder mysteries.
The musical score in this film is outstanding.
My favourite poster is this french one:
murder-at-the-gallop-movie-poster-1963-resized.jpg

Captain Dart

Rashomon, early Kurosawa.
rashomon-movie-poster-1951-1010482515.jpg

Captain Dart

Haven't seen that one, what's the basic plot?
An allegorical tale about subjectivity of truth and the uncertainty of factual accuracy.
Told through the testimony of several people who have witnessed the same incident explaining it very differently,

wingy

An allegorical tale about subjectivity of truth and the uncertainty of factual accuracy.
Told through the testimony of several people who have witnessed the same incident explaining it very differently,
Bit like the Bible or Trumps world then ?:p

Captain Dart

Gazolba

Sounds very interesting. It's a well-established fact that eyewitness testimony is the most unreliable evidence of all.

Gazolba

"Private Parts" 1972
This has no relation whatsoever to the the 1997 film with the same title.
No-one famous in it.
This is how Wikipedia describes it:
"Private Parts is a 1972 psychological thriller film with some elements of horror and black comedy, directed by underground film director Paul Bartel as his feature film debut. The film stars Ayn Ruymen, Lucille Benson, and John Ventantonio."
Plot:
"When Cheryl and her roommate quarrel, Cheryl moves into her aunt's skid-row hotel in downtown L.A. rather than returning home to Ohio. The lodgers are strange, Aunt Martha is a moralizer obsessed with funerals, murder is afoot, and the inexperienced and trusting Cheryl may be the next victim. She wants to be treated like a woman, and she's drawn to George, a handsome photographer who longs for human contact but sleeps with a water-inflated doll and spies on Cheryl as she bathes. Jeff, a neighborhood clerk, may be Cheryl's only ally in what she doesn't realize is a perilous residence haunted by family secrets. And, what happened to Alice, a model who used to have Cheryl's room?"
Private_Parts_(1972)-resized.jpg

Terry_dactyl

Sounds very interesting. It's a well-established fact that eyewitness testimony is the most unreliable evidence of all.

In that case how can we be sure it’s about that!
I haven’t seen Rashomon but have thoroughly enjoyed the kurowsowa films I have seen. ‘7 Samurai’ ruined ‘the magnificent 7’ for me...I was like ‘meh’!
I’d like to recommend ‘m’ by Fritz Laing. It must be one of the first serial killer portrayals. Peter Lorre is great in it.

Gazolba

"Around the World in 80 Days" from 1956
Blockbuster film with too many stars to list, though mainly featuring David Niven and Cantinflas (who I'd never heard of before).
Filmed literally all over the world, this film broke several records and was much acclaimed.
Definitely worth a watch. but be aware its a very long film.
80-Days-resized.jpg

wingy

"Around the World in 80 Days" from 1956
Blockbuster film with too many stars to list, though mainly featuring David Niven and Cantinflas (who I'd never heard of before).
Filmed literally all over the world, this film broke several records and was much acclaimed.
Definitely worth a watch. but be aware its a very long film.
View attachment 9832
Went to see it at the old Godiva Cinema when I was about 10 or 11.
We have a dedicated Channel for old films over here now .
Watched a decent one yesterday afternoon 'The man who knew too much 'yesterday .
Espionage /Assassination plot set in Morroco and London with James Stewart and Doris Day, not bad for its ilk and day .

Last edited:

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I haven't trawled through the previous posts, so I hope I'm not repeating anything here, but one of my all time favourite films was on Film 4 this afternoon. "The Odessa File", starring Jon Voight. Brilliant film. Every time I watch it, it always seems to feel like the first time of viewing. Watch it if you get a chance. Also "Marathon Man" with Dustin Hoffman and Laurence Olivier. (Similar story line to the Odessa File). Oh, and keeping with the "nasty Nazis escaping from the law" plots, grab a chance to see "Boys from Brazil" starring Gregory Peck and (again) Laurence Olivier.

Otis

Went to see it at the old Godiva Cinema when I was about 10 or 11.
We have a dedicated Channel for old films over here now .
Watched a decent one yesterday afternoon 'The man who knew too much 'yesterday .
Espionage /Assassination plot set in Morroco and London with James Stewart and Doris Day, not bad for its ilk and day .
Alfred Hitchcock film from 1956 and a remake of the same film by the same director back in 1934.

The oiginal one had the great Peter Lorre in it.

peter-lorre-9386583-1-402.jpg

Both very good films and the second one was released during Hitchcock's golden 50's period (Vertigo, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Dial M for Murder).

Lana Turner, Grace Kelly and Kim Novak were all suggested for the female lead, but Hitchcock specifically asked for Doris Day after seeing her in a film called Storm Warning.

Hitchcock also requested that the screenwriter for the 56 version did not watch the first film, or indeed read its script and therefore the films are quite different in many ways.

Ranjit Bhurpa

I haven't trawled through the previous posts, so I hope I'm not repeating anything here, but one of my all time favourite films was on Film 4 this afternoon. "The Odessa File", starring Jon Voight. Brilliant film. Every time I watch it, it always seems to feel like the first time of viewing. Watch it if you get a chance. Also "Marathon Man" with Dustin Hoffman and Laurence Olivier. (Similar story line to the Odessa File). Oh, and keeping with the "nasty Nazis escaping from the law" plots, grab a chance to see "Boys from Brazil" starring Gregory Peck and (again) Laurence Olivier.

Not seen The Odessa File but a big thumbs up for Marathon Man - unless you're about to visit the dentists :inpain:

Captain Dart

I love this one. Its hilarious and tragic. But I'm not sure its old enough to qualify?

Mystery Train is a 1989 independent anthology film written and directed by Jim Jarmusch and set in Memphis, Tennessee. The film is a triptych of stories involving foreign protagonists unfolding over the course of the same night. "Far from Yokohama" features a Japanese couple (Youki Kudoh and Masatoshi Nagase) on a blues pilgrimage, "A Ghost" focuses on an Italian widow (Nicoletta Braschi) stranded in the city overnight, and "Lost in Space" follows the misadventures of a newly single and unemployed Englishman (Joe Strummer) and his companions (Rick Aviles and Steve Buscemi). They are linked by a run-down flophouse overseen by a night clerk (Screamin' Jay Hawkins) and his disheveled bellboy (Cinqué Lee), a scene featuring Elvis Presley's "Blue Moon",[3] and a gunshot.

Gazolba

Alfred Hitchcock film from 1956 and a remake of the same film by the same director back in 1934.

The oiginal one had the great Peter Lorre in it.
<snip>.
Peter Lorre had a small cameo in "Around the World in 80 Days".

Users who are viewing this thread