Iran & USA (3 Viewers)

clint van damme

Iran has been attacking and seizing oil tankers, it has taken down drones, attacked Saudi oil plants, launched rocket attacks on US forces, and organised the storming of the US embassy. The US retaliated. Surprised?

Soleimani was a monster behind the murder and rape of thousands, and most in the region are rejoicing.

Don't like Trump, not one bit, but let's not pretend Obama wouldn't have responded in a similar way. In fact, Trump has been notably more isolationist and less hawkish than Obama, Bush and Clinton ever were.

Not one person has mentioned Obama, Bish or Clinton.
Not sure why you've brought them up.
If you look at other threads where they're mentioned they generally get slated.

theferret

Not one person has mentioned Obama, Bish or Clinton.
Not sure why you've brought them up.
If you look at other threads where they're mentioned they generally get slated.

Fair enough, but equally I don't recall them being labelled raving lunatics when they ordered the assasination of islamist targets in the past.

You can call Trump a lot of things, not many of them nice, but war-monger isn't one of them. It was a reaction that many leading Democrats were calling for, and they're now queueing up to condemn him. The hypocrisy is tiresome.

There might be a reaction of coursr, time will tell, but I don't think there'll be a major escalation. I'm often wrong, hopefully not this time.

fellatio_Martinez

You can call Trump a lot of things, not many of them nice, but war-monger isn't one of them. It was a reaction that many leading Democrats were calling for, and they're now queueing up to condemn him. The hypocrisy is tiresome.

I agree. Trump may be a large slice of c**t but he's definitely not some war mongering maniac. It's embarrassing how some people just trot out the same lines over and over again.

Trump bad man. Trump bad man.

shmmeee

I agree. Trump may be a large slice of c**t but he's definitely not some war mongering maniac. It's embarrassing how some people just trot out the same lines over and over again.

Trump bad man. Trump bad man.

The meme is orange man bad.

The guy is demonstrably unstable and possibly mentally ill and is basically in charge of world security.

The childish attitudes and complete lack of understanding of geopolitics in this thread is frightening

clint van damme

Fair enough, but equally I don't recall them being labelled raving lunatics when they ordered the assasination of islamist targets in the past.

There might be a reaction of coursr, time will tell, but I don't think there'll be a major escalation. I'm often wrong, hopefully not this time.

I agree I think the predictions of WW3 are probably a little bit premature.

But I also think that if the West is trying to disentangle itself from the on going sunni/Shia conflict then this wasn't a very smart move and once again we will be aligning ourselves with ISIS's main sponsors.
Then again,.maybe his bravado might work.

fellatio_Martinez

The guy is demonstrably unstable and possibly mentally ill and is basically in charge of world security.

The childish attitudes and complete lack of understanding of geopolitics in this thread is frightening

You call Donald Trump unstable and mentally ill and call others childish.

For fuck sake man. Time to get a grip on reality.

theferret

The meme is orange man bad.

Come now. Childish? Take a moment to read what you just said, hardly a reasoned, thoughtful take on the issue.

The significance of this is not lost. This was not like assassinating the head of a terrorist organisation, this was somebody at the heart of government in Iran. It was a very risky move, but also one that would have been discussed and debated with military leaders and within the administration. This not a cartoon where the fiendish villain wakes up one morning and decides to kill someone. Had Hiliary been in power the very same do we/don't we dilemna would have been hers to make a call on. It was a military plan ultimately.

There will be a reaction, but the Iranian regime, disgusting though it is, is neither stupid or suicidal.

Liquid Gold

Iran was slowly coming back into the international fold under the Obama regime after a stable and internationally recognised nuclear deal. It was Trump’s desire to rip up his predecessors legacy that has bought us to this point anyway and that he’s enacted what is essentially an act of war without the approval of the legislature is problematic in itself.

theferret

I agree I think the predictions of WW3 are probably a little bit premature.

But I also think that if the West is trying to disentangle itself from the on going sunni/Shia conflict then this wasn't a very smart move and once again we will be aligning ourselves with ISIS's main sponsors.
Then again,.maybe his bravado might work.

The US record when it comes to Iranian affairs isn't one they can be proud of. The role it, through Jimmy Carter and his deluded advisers, played in the revolution and overthrow of The Shah is a case in point. These were people who regarded Ayatollah Khomeini as 'moderate and progressive'. That was a serious misjudgement, hope this isn't another.

Marty

He doesn't need to do this to get re-elected. The opposition is so weak and he's actually a decent president.

4 more years!!

stupot07

He doesn't need to do this to get re-elected. The opposition is so weak and he's actually a decent president.

4 more years!!
Tbf a lot depends on what comes out of the impeachment.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Marty

Tbf a lot depends on what comes out of the impeachment.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

They have nothing on him from what I can tell, it's just a he said this situation, it was laughed out of Congress weeks ago as the case was so poor, the star 'witness' heard it 4th hand.

From the moment he was elected, they've tried to remove him, they know that Trump would win an election hands down if it was held tomorrow, which is why they'll wait so long to proceed, try and screw him mid re election campaign. It's one big smear campaign as the west continue to reject left wing politics.

clint van damme

They have nothing on him from what I can tell, it's just a he said this situation, it was laughed out of Congress weeks ago as the case was so poor, the star 'witness' heard it 4th hand.

From the moment he was elected, they've tried to remove him, they know that Trump would win an election hands down if it was held tomorrow, which is why they'll wait so long to proceed, try and screw him mid re election campaign. It's one big smear campaign as the west continue to reject left wing politics.

It's irrelevant what they have on him. The Senate will throw it out
The whole thing is just the opening gambit of the election campaign

Trumps biggest issue is that wages have stagnated among lower earners if his support base. They're have also been some big job losses in blue collar states.

I still think he'll win but I think the issues I've hilighted will give him more cause for concern than impeachment.
And to be honest, not voting democrat is hardly a rejection of left wing politics.
As some one said, Obama was more hawkish than Trump.

Last edited:

fernandopartridge

The funny thing is it's just accepted now that the US is allowed to sit troops all over the world without reprisal. What on earth are they actually doing in Iraq now?

clint van damme

Mike Pence now trying to link Iran and Solieman with the 9/11 attacks.
So they've invaded Iraq and Afghanistan because of 9/11 and are now in danger of conflict with Iran but are still have their strings pulled and are best mates with the country where the majority of the attackers came from. How can people fall for this shit?

Ian1779

So they've invaded Iraq and Afghanistan because of 9/11 and are now in danger of conflict with Iran but are still have their strings pulled and are best mates with the country where the majority of the attackers came from. How can people fall for this shit?

Never underestimate the propaganda of a flag.

Brighton Sky Blue

Their mates in Saudi can’t believe their luck after actually helping to plot it

Brighton Sky Blue

Bush and Cheney got us into this mess in the first place. Obama did at least secure the nuclear deal with Iran which they were sticking to in order to have returned to them money which the US seized in the past. He also reopened peaceful relations with Cuba. Trump has doubled down going against both of these.

Trump like Bush is a useful idiot to those in his Cabinet. He does whatever FOX says on the telly or what the last person in the room says to him. The military industrial complex is king and wants more wars all year round. But it helps when there’s a dumbass in the Oval Office

SkyblueBazza

In truth...the idea of going to war to win elections is a thing of the very distant past. There is no way the US wants a war with Iran. The prolonged mess resulting from the last two such major incursions...Afghanistan & Iraq - neither of whom I suspect were ranked anywhere near where Iran are at the start of those respective 'wars'.

So let us not be too naive. The US embassy in Iraq was attacked without anyone even attempting to stop it. Those attacking thus emboldened went back for more...only backing off in the face of US forces firing tear gas.

Their people on the ground probably got info about the Iranians orchestrating things, &/or their future intent.

Surely it is clear that the US is trying to protect fuel supply for itself & it's allies? Without it's allies having a good power-base the threat of major war increases surely?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

In truth...the idea of going to war to win elections is a thing of the very distant past. There is no way the US wants a war with Iran. The prolonged mess resulting from the last two such major incursions...Afghanistan & Iraq - neither of whom I suspect were ranked anywhere near where Iran are at the start of those respective 'wars'.

So let us not be too naive. The US embassy in Iraq was attacked without anyone even attempting to stop it. Those attacking thus emboldened went back for more...only backing off in the face of US forces firing tear gas.

Their people on the ground probably got info about the Iranians orchestrating things, &/or their future intent.

Surely it is clear that the US is trying to protect fuel supply for itself & it's allies? Without it's allies having a good power-base the threat of major war increases surely?

So why is it helping one of its allies commit war atrocities in Yemen? In fact, why does it count as an ally the biggest exporter of Islamic extremism in the region?

Iran was sticking to the terms of Obama’s deal. It then was met with a concerted effort to destabilise its economy amidst other blatant attempts to provoke it into retaliation. Maybe if the CIA hadn’t gone initiating a coup several decades previous we wouldn’t even have the Ayatollah...

clint van damme

Maybe if the CIA hadn’t gone initiating a coup several decades previous we wouldn’t even have the Ayatollah...

At the behest of the oil companies (I think I'm right to say BP were heavily involved).
These profit at all cost decisions resonate for decades with major consequences for everyone.

hill83

I’ve just seen that Jesus thing on the news with trump being touched and gurning.

Fucking hell. Ha ha ha.

Brighton Sky Blue

At the behest of the oil companies (I think I'm right to say BP were heavily involved).
These profit at all cost decisions resonate for decades with major consequences for everyone.

Yup it was-really worked out well. Petraeus argued for allying with Al Qaeda a few years ago...

duffer

I can't quite get to how little the rule of law now means. This kind of action doesn't make anyone safer because now any state or organisation with the means to do so can now seemingly kill any person anywhere, on the basis that they may or might be offering a threat.

In essence, on the world stage it's seemingly that 'might makes right', and diplomacy and legality are out of the window.

That doesn't bode well imho, especially if you want to promote western, secular, rule-based democracy as the path to a more civilised world.

Tommo1993

Fuck them up, get into ‘em!

Joking aside, there’s a lot of worried people about. Listening to Radio 2 yesterday sounds like people are preparing to be dragged into major war. Think Iran vowing to get their revenge is to be expected, and it will happen.

The Mrs doesn’t really take much interest in it all, out of fear. She’s asking me if we’ll be safe in NYC in May. Lol.

SkyblueBazza

So why is it helping one of its allies commit war atrocities in Yemen? In fact, why does it count as an ally the biggest exporter of Islamic extremism in the region?

Iran was sticking to the terms of Obama’s deal. It then was met with a concerted effort to destabilise its economy amidst other blatant attempts to provoke it into retaliation. Maybe if the CIA hadn’t gone initiating a coup several decades previous we wouldn’t even have the Ayatollah...
...but they did, and we have what we have, and we have not too much military might do anything about anything very much ourselves in other parts of the world.

So other than to side with the Russians or Chinese we simply have to go it alone & get picked on/walked over, or stick with the US who we have relied on heavily so much in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread