Iran & USA (3 Viewers)

SkyblueBazza

.Rally round the flag: do wars boost presidential popularity?

Rally round the flag: do wars boost presidential popularity? | Mona Chalabi

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
The resulting carnage & loss of life PLUS what nowadays results in prolonged rebel attacks & loss of national esteem when finally sneaking away makes it most unlikely to be a very strong motivator on its own now imo

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Liquid Gold

...but they did, and we have what we have, and we have not too much military might do anything about anything very much ourselves in other parts of the world.

So other than to side with the Russians or Chinese we simply have to go it alone & get picked on/walked over, or stick with the US who we have relied on heavily so much in the past.

Would be a good time not to be pissing off our European allies.

Sick Boy

Has De Pfeffel Johnson said anything about it yet? Or is the man of the people still away on that exclusive island?

SkyblueBazza

Would be a good time not to be pissing off our European allies.
The EU doesn't enter into the argument. They are far too cumbersome & steeped in vested but extremely diverse interests to ever really do anything other than talk (& pacify) as a unit.

The French would maybe get stuck in after losing patience...the rest just offer - well, nothing really

Sick Boy

The EU doesn't enter into the argument. They are far too cumbersome & steeped in vested but extremely diverse interests to ever really do anything other than talk (& pacify) as a unit.

The French would maybe get stuck in after losing patience...the rest just offer - well, nothing really

How ignorant can you get? A lot of countries across Europe were involved in Iraq, is it any surprise they don’t get heavily involved in the USA’s conflicts?

SkyblueBazza

Has De Pfeffel Johnson said anything about it yet? Or is the man of the people still away on that exclusive island?
I suspect he is saying it all to Trump & his own advisors with view to ensuring, as far as possible, the safety of our own 400 or so armed forces as well as any civilians out there.
Tbh - I prefer that to running straight to the media with sound bites, but agree that after 24hrs (like now!) he should be able to offer some sort of statement

Sick Boy

I suspect he is saying it all to Trump & his own advisors with view to ensuring, as far as possible, the safety of our own 400 or so armed forces as well as any civilians out there.
Tbh - I prefer that to running straight to the media with sound bites, but agree that after 24hrs (like now!) he should be able to offer some sort of statement

Yeah, I’m sure Trump is really interested and going to listen to that!

Apparently the UK hadn’t even been briefed about what was going to happen, which tells you all you need to know about the ‘special relationship’.

SkyblueBazza

How ignorant can you get? A lot of countries across Europe were involved in Iraq, is it any surprise they don’t get heavily involved in the USA’s conflicts?
Eventually they were yes. Support roles especially. All help is better than none - but when the chips are down you want someone you can rely on to either act on your behalf or to negotiate a way out for you.

We rely on the US as our tower of strength. We cannot rely on the EU

Sick Boy

Eventually they were yes. Support roles especially. All help is better than none - but when the chips are down you want someone you can rely on to either act on your behalf or to negotiate a way out for you.

We rely on the US as our tower of strength. We cannot rely on the EU

What is the EU supposed to do? It doesn’t have an army and it’s up to each individual country?

I’d much rather not be involved in any of the USA’s ‘wars’, thanks.

As I said, plenty of European countries sent troops to deal with ISIS and are still out there now, I believe.

Last edited:
Reactions: AOM

SkyblueBazza

Yeah, I’m sure Trump is really interested and going to listen to that!

Apparently the UK hadn’t even been briefed about what was going to happen, which tells you all you need to know about the ‘special relationship’.
Which is what Boris is probably talking to & taking issue about with Trump.

It is easy to criticise...the US is basically the mast we have nailed our colours to, & our best bet to get behind. We are a bit part player militarily on the global stage beyond our nuclear arsenal. The US is certainly not beyond criticism or reproach on its foreign activities...but we should beware of further loosening those ties.

If we had a bigger & stronger military presence we would be more respected, consulted but involved by the US in general on such matters. We cannot have it both ways

Sick Boy

Which is what Boris is probably talking to & taking issue about with Trump.

It is easy to criticise...the US is basically the mast we have nailed our colours to, & our best bet to get behind. We are a bit part player militarily on the global stage beyond our nuclear arsenal. The US is certainly not beyond criticism or reproach on its foreign activities...but we should beware of further loosening those ties.

If we had a bigger & stronger military presence we would be more respected, consulted but involved by the US in general on such matters. We cannot have it both ways

If you’re happy to get behind a country that is allied with the Saudis and seems to lack any regard for international law, then fair enough!

I think you’re probably overestimating Johnson’s influence over Trump and how much Britain’s opinion matters to him.

SkyblueBazza

What is the EU supposed to do? It doesn’t have an army and it’s up to each individual country?

I’d much rather not be involved in any of the USA’s ‘wars’, thanks.

As I said, plenty of Europeans countries sent troops to deal with ISIS and are still out there now, I believe.
But that is the rub isn't it?

You don't want to get involved in US wars (but seem affronted our PM is quiet so far on the matter?), but if the UK were invaded by Russia or had some kind of ISIS uprising in the UK...people such as you (that actually live here) would be apoplectic if the US didn't jump in to rescue us, I suspect. Or would you want the EU to negotiate a return to how things were before?

Sick Boy

But that is the rub isn't it?

You don't want to get involved in US wars (but seem affronted our PM is quiet so far on the matter?), but if the UK were invaded by Russia or had some kind of ISIS uprising in the UK...people such as you (that actually live here) would be apoplectic if the US didn't jump in to rescue us, I suspect. Or would you want the EU to negotiate a return to how things were before?

There is minimal chance of Russia invading and occupying the UK, the USA would also take action to protect themselves and their interests, not because they feel a sense of duty towards the UK.

I also live in Verona, by the way. ;)

SkyblueBazza

If you’re happy to get behind a country that is allied with the Saudis and seems to lack any regard for international law, then fair enough!

I think you’re probably overestimating Johnson’s influence over Trump and how much Britain’s opinion matters to him.

We have to remain neutral in the worst cases, & support thier actions in the best ones.

Boris has little or no influence over Trump at present. Once we have those awful trade deals you're expecting with the US we shall see a degree of growth in our influence though.

SkyblueBazza

There is minimal chance of Russia invading and occupying the UK, the USA would also take action to protect themselves and their interests, not because they feel a sense of duty towards the UK.

I also live in Verona, by the way. ;)

There is minimal chance of Iran declaring outright war on the US too. Russia annexing Crimea & occupying part of Ukraine? Nah, never happen. Although, if nobody stands up to/for them..!

I know you aren't resident here which is why I put the bit in brackets. It also begs the question why you keep putting your two-penneth into UK matters now. Given the fact that is precisely what you criticise the US & UK for doing.

clint van damme

Apparently he wasn't told it was going to happen which is not normally the done thing when your allie has troops in the country concerned.

clint van damme

There is minimal chance of Iran declaring outright war on the US too. Russia annexing Crimea & occupying part of Ukraine? Nah, never happen. Although, if nobody stands up to/for them..!

I know you aren't resident here which is why I put the bit in brackets. It also begs the question why you keep putting your two-penneth into UK matters now. Given the fact that is precisely what you criticise the US & UK for doing.

You cannot be serious with that last comment. Please tell me it was an attempt at humour.

Sick Boy

Because believe it or not one’s citizenship/interest/wanting what’s best for it doesn’t end when you live in another country.

Sick Boy

We have to remain neutral in the worst cases, & support thier actions in the best ones.

Boris has little or no influence over Trump at present. Once we have those awful trade deals you're expecting with the US we shall see a degree of growth in our influence though.

How naive can you get?

clint van damme

Because believe it or not one’s citizenship/interest/wanting what’s best for it doesn’t end when you live in another country.

Even if you never set foot in the country people all over the world comment on goings on in countries they've never set foot in.
I hope he was joking, if he wasn't it's the stupidest thing he's posted, and it's a crowded field.

Liquid Gold

What a knobhead

SkyblueBazza

So it is the same in reverse isn't it? The US is protecting it's domestic & foreign interests & those of its allies.

I don't like the how, but have to trust it is needed to allow me (& you) to continue enjoy the benefits I currently do!

SkyblueBazza

Even if you never set foot in the country people all over the world comment on goings on in countries they've never set foot in.
I hope he was joking, if he wasn't it's the stupidest thing he's posted, and it's a crowded field.
He was making the point about the US interfering in other countries affairs is roundly criticised - yet they do so for the very same reasons SB does. And with much greater information.

Shame you needed that explaining really, but the fact you did tells us a great deal

Sick Boy

He was making the point about the US interfering in other countries affairs is roundly criticised - yet they do so for the very same readons SB does. And with much greater information.

Shame you needed that explaining really, but the fact you did tells us a great deal

HAHA classic!
Yes because going around killing people with drones, which is likely to lead to more bloodshed and destabilising the world is comparable to someone talking about it on a football forum - haha!

SkyblueBazza

HAHA classic! Yes because going around killing people with drones, which is likely to lead to more bloodshed is comparable to someone talking about it on a football forum - haha!
The principle wa..ahh, of course you wouldn't undestand the meaning

clint van damme

He was making the point about the US interfering in other countries affairs is roundly criticised - yet they do so for the very same reasons SB does. And with much greater information.

You think Sickboy talking about the affairs of another country is the same as invading it, bringing about regime change and assassinating an important figure from another sovereign state on that country's soil.
The fact you need that explain tells us one thing - you're a cretin.

SkyblueBazza

You think Sickboy talking about the affairs of another country is the same as invading it, bringing about regime change and assassinating an important figure from another sovereign state on that country's soil.
The fact you need that explain tells us one thing - you're a cretin.

No I think the underlying principle is the same.
The fact I needed to explain shows you to be an idiot!

Users who are viewing this thread