Kevin Blackwell to be appointed (1 Viewer)

grafikhaus

Because he took over from them when Warnock left after relegation. Turned a premier league team (or a very well established play-off team) into relegation fodder in 3 season's season. Did the same at Leeds - spent shit loads, complained he didn't have enough to spend and took them from play-off's to League 1.

Blades fan in peace! ^^^ That about sums it up. He's a bottler (2 failed Play-off finals), offered to resign after Burnley beat us at Wembley but, unfortunately our Chairman declined the offer.

Yes, a 42% win percentage certainly looks good on paper but, Christ is it painful to watch.

Nick

Administrator
He may be a racist but Ol' Ron had star quality. It was like having a fat Movie Star as a manager, if you like...

ron_atkinson_365x470.jpg

Watch out Brad Pitt!

Walking Bird

I remember fat Rons 1st game, He stuck about an extra 5000 on the gate & we won.
Could do with someone doing the same & that aint Blackwell

Dinyull

Do you think foo?

There's just a massive sense of apathy towards the club at the minute, don't get me wrong I'd be pissed off if they were to appoint him - even if just till the end of the season - just don't really think people would be that bothered.

Nick

Administrator
Blades fan in peace! ^^^ That about sums it up. He's a bottler (2 failed Play-off finals), offered to resign after Burnley beat us at Wembley but, unfortunately our Chairman declined the offer.

Yes, a 42% win percentage certainly looks good on paper but, Christ is it painful to watch.

Only just spotted this. What sort of football did he get you lot playing?

How is Doyle doing? We miss a bit of bite nowadays!

JCR1987

He may be a racist but Ol' Ron had star quality. It was like having a fat Movie Star as a manager, if you like...

Oh yes, at times I loved having big ron at the city, at other times I didn't, but overall he had that one thing that is seriously lacking in many managers these days - character. I'd love to see him back here, but probably only til May.

singers_pore

we probably have our most balanced squad since relegation (ie a couple of players for every position).

Balanced yes. But the squad is full of players who are no better than League 1. The only decent players are Westwood and King and they will be gone. If we're not relegated this season then you can bet we will be next season.:(

fellatio_Martinez

Do you think foo?

There's just a massive sense of apathy towards the club at the minute, don't get me wrong I'd be pissed off if they were to appoint him - even if just till the end of the season - just don't really think people would be that bothered.

I would be incensed, but I'm not sure about others.. it seems like a lot have given up the ghost. If Ranson does appoint Blackwell it would be just plain wrong, and I'd like to think the fans would like to express their disgust by gathering outside The Ricoh and causing a fuss. It only takes a minority after all.

It's a hard one to gauge.

bassett

Hi. Another Blades fan here - one based in Coventry!

Blackwell's football was pretty grim and he is tactically poor.

One thing in his defence, and that grafikhaus doesn't mention (and would be relevant to you guys), is that he took over from Bryan Robson and stabilised a side that was sliding towards relegation.

There were some good players at the club at the time (James Beattie, Kyle Walker, Kyle Naughton, Paddy Kenny etc) and the following season he got us to the play-off finals with some good results (we didn't lose a game away for most of the season, I think). However, the play-off final was grim - a total failure to learn from the mistakes made against Burnley a couple of weeks before and started with Craig Beattie up front on his own! We deserved to lose that final by a truckload and it was only the good defence that kept it down to a respectable 0-1.

The following season was a horror show of mediocrity and average results as players were sold on and replaced by dross.

The best you can hope for is an instant boost to see you safe and then sack him in the summer.

fellatio_Martinez

I'd maybe go for him in a temp role, most managers of his ilk do have the good start factor. That's all we need though, you just know if he kept us up he'd be signed on full time.

skybluetom

I'd maybe go for him in a temp role, most managers of his ilk do have the good start factor. That's all we need though, you just know if he kept us up he'd be signed on full time.

Here lies my arguement against this, Ranson isn't daft. He'd know appointing Blackwell long term at this moment in time would not be recived well and as you say I still think enough care to get down there with placards, if he comes in short term and lifts the team as generally any new manager does it would be much easier come the summer to give him the job full time.

skyblu3sk

Here lies my arguement against this, Ranson isn't daft. He'd know appointing Blackwell long term at this moment in time would not be recived well and as you say I still think enough care to get down there with placards, if he comes in short term and lifts the team as generally any new manager does it would be much easier come the summer to give him the job full time.

Yep and this is why for me we shouldn't even be looking to bring him in on a temporary basis! we need someone who will get the players to play on the floor otherwise the crowds will go down again and the downwards spiral will continue

fellatio_Martinez

At this stage of the season I'd take watching Westwood being fired from a cannon from one goal to the other with the ball in his hands over nice football, as long as it gets some god darn results :(

skybluetom

I think after everything people would accept that, if we played like Donny do which isn't overly effective looking at their league position but is nice on the eye I think people would be happy enough just to bum around where we are. I think most realise this is our level untill somebody comes in with major money. I have to say I don't blame anybody for not going, for the first time in years I'm finding it difficult. It's so dull and boring your looking at your watch waiting for the match to end.

I thought I was done with England after the awful World Cup but I actually can't wait for Saturday, I can support a team which despite it's flaws may actually play some football with some quality players on display.

Dinyull

What do we want, results or decent football?

The club NEEDS result's, if this is brought about from another hoof merchant than so be it. We are losing money hand over fist so we can't decide to go down Donny's route - yes it may bring back a few thousand fans but they will soon dwindle away if the results aren't there claiming we're too lightweight or we try to pass it into the net.

I don't mind the style we play if winning and in an ideal world we'd play good football AND get results, sadly this is difficult. I just don't want another out of work failure of a manager with only 1 or 2 decent season's behind him.

Dinyull

yes it may bring back a few thousand fans but they will soon dwindle away if the results aren't there claiming we're too lightweight or we try to pass it into the net.

Also, ask the blades on here about Speed taking over from Blackwell. Tried playing nice football but couldn't get results - some were wanting Blackwell back and a lot backed the appointment of another serial hoofer in Adam's.

Also Sousa @ Leicester and Rodgers @ Reading. Good football but if the results aren't there the fans aren't happy!!!

Fat Boy

We simply have to employ somebody that is going to be able to rebuild the squad around our best players(mostly nearly all out of contract), and more importantly they have to be given TIME. my shout is Curbs but that may not be for everyone.

ccfcjdee

If true, this is not a great appointment in my book and just shows the ambition of the club. Someone who can work with a tight budget basically means you have no money to spend gaffer so beg, borrow and steal players. Unless they give our next manager a decent amount of money we will not change and we will see Mr Blackwell sacked in the next 12 months.

wont even get 12 months, my understanding is that he has until the end of the season, and I cant see him producing anything impressive between now and then. If he comes, he would be dumped in the summer.
It was shit being in the championship for 10 years. Hope we can manages a top half finish in league one next season.

6 Generations

Ray Ranson has denied that we have approached Blackwell, await tomorrows Cov. Telegraph headline. "BLACKWELL HIRED AS THE NEW MESSIAH". :eek: PUSB

ccfctommy

Hold on,

This rumour has been going for nearly three days and its only source is the Daily Mail!

I think its Andy thorn til the end of the season.

Adamrb

we should give AT a home game at least - see what he has to offer - although I think we'll struggle to take 3 points off watford

AngryAnt

If we appoint Blackwell i'll turn my back on city.
Felt Aidy was a scape goat, but he should really have never been apointed. Blackwell will really resign us to league 1.

Users who are viewing this thread