Lets see how well this goes down on here (1 Viewer)

martcov

Because you are intolerant of views that do not fit your own. You use the word “discriminate” as a shield to support your own views.

You are prepared to ignore views based off clear beliefs and yet consider yourself non-discremenatory because those beliefs are not sacred to you. That, in the end, is just discrimination.

In what way am I intolerant? I think they are wrong, but I don’t take any action such as discriminatory action. Do I have to share people‘s beliefs to be non discriminatory? I ignore the views of most of 7 billion people simply because I can only relate to what I know. That is not discrimination.

Astute

In what way am I intolerant? I think they are wrong, but I don’t take any action such as discriminatory action. Do I have to share people‘s beliefs to be non discriminatory? I ignore the views of most of 7 billion people simply because I can only relate to what I know. That is not discrimination.
And you won't admit to there being a fine line of discrimination of someones religious beliefs and someones right to live their life how they want to.

martcov

And you won't admit to there being a fine line of discrimination of someones religious beliefs and someones right to live their life how they want to.

Do you mean gays wanting to live their lives as they want to and then being discriminated against because they are gay? My problem would be if the AfD wanted to meet in my pub. Then I would probably draw the line. But I don’t think not accepting people of a different political persuasion is illegal. I would get the free speech argument against me though. I have had meetings of the Pirate Party, Liberals, our CDU candidate used to meet constituents and the SPD state president of Schleswig-Holstein used to come regularly. The AfD wouldn’t fit in with my clients.

Astute

Do you mean gays wanting to live their lives as they want to and then being discriminated against because they are gay? My problem would be if the AfD wanted to meet in my pub. Then I would probably draw the line. But I don’t think not accepting people of a different political persuasion is illegal. I would get the free speech argument against me though. I have had meetings of the Pirate Party, Liberals, our CDU candidate used to meet constituents and the SPD state president of Schleswig-Holstein used to come regularly. The AfD wouldn’t fit in with my clients.
You are talking bollox again.

So you agree with Otis when he says he can see both sides.

So what did you actually agree with?

Astute

I can see both sides. And I know it is difficult.
But it isn't what you are saying.

I have said that if they offer a service that they should be prepared to offer it to everyone. If they are not prepared to offer services to certain minorities they should look to do something else.

Then I said that it is also discrimination against their religion and beliefs if they are forced to go against what they believe. This is the fine line that you won't admit to or can't see. Even Tatchell says the same. And he has done more for gay rights than anyone else.

Otis

I don't think there is a straight, 'this is right, that is wrong' in some cases. I think they need to be judged on their own individual situations.

It's a bit of a minefield isn't it.

I think the B&B people should have offered the room to the gay couple. I think the cake shop should sell a cake to a gay person or couple, but I don't believe they should have to put absolutely anything anyone asks for on the cake.

Astute

I don't think there is a straight, 'this is right, that is wrong' in some cases. I think they need to be judged on their own individual situations.

I think the B&B people should have offered the room to the gay couple. I think the cake shop should sell a cake to a gay person or couple, but I don't believe they should have to put absolutely anything anyone asks for on the cake.
Then you will have some moan that it is discrimination against the B&B owner as he has no choice on what is against his religion but the cake baker has the choice. That was the point Tatchell made.

The world is going mad.

Grendel

The B and B couple openly stated their values and they did not allow anyone unmarried in a church to share the same room. Even the ruling acknowledged it was not a ruling against any discrimination through sexuality.

I find it rather odd this couple decided to go by pure chance to such an establishment and then drag it through the courts.

singers_pore

I was at Oxford with Jacob Rees-Mogg so I do have some personal experience. He is actually a complete c**t. And I say that despite agreeing with a lot of his politics.

Otis

The B and B couple openly stated their values and they did not allow anyone unmarried in a church to share the same room. Even the ruling acknowledged it was not a ruling against any discrimination through sexuality.

I find it rather odd this couple decided to go by pure chance to such an establishment and then drag it through the courts.
Yep, maybe they chose the place to make a point. Guess we will never know.

singers_pore

A practicing Muslim probably wouldn’t give a toss what others do. Only a fanatical religious person would ban alcohol sale or not accept gays in a B and B.

Vegans are not discriminating because of religion or sky wizards. They would be selling ethically produced food, which is a bit different to imposing their religious views on others. I wouldn’t feel discriminated against because of food standards being offered.

I could still drink vegan beer as well.

In fact the majority of Muslims do meet your definition of being fanatics. For example 52% of British Muslims want homosexuals to be imprisoned. The percentages with fanatical views are even higher in Muslim countries.

oakey

I employ temporary staff on events and in the work contract they have the right to complain about forms of discrimination. This is an EU requirement written into German employment laws. If I discriminated on religious grounds I would be in trouble. This is what actually happened with the catholic church when employing staff ( not priests, but e.g. gardeners or maintenance staff ). They cannot just employ Catholics.
They can just employ Catholics in their schools. The ad is allowed to say, "must be practising Catholic." Try getting a job teaching RE or Philosophy in a Catholic school if you are not a Catholic. This discrimination is legal and these are tax funded schools.

Astute

Users who are viewing this thread