Lets see how well this goes down on here (2 Viewers)

Grendel

I am one of those people. If you are open for business, you are open for business. If gays came into my pub, I would serve them. The same goes for everyone else - even you. A business is not there to discriminate, it should be neutral. As long as people are not breaking the law or damaging property. I would accept a dress code, because you can adapt your clothing style. I would not expect people to change their sexual preference to fit in with my views though. What an arrogant and bigoted attitude.

So can you please explain why the veteran LGBT campaigner Peter Tatchell takes that view. It was his view I was expressing.

Liquid Gold

Did the dad give all his sweets to one kid on Halloween in the hope that the trickle down effect would leave enough sweets for everyone?

Seriously this place is getting GMK.

Sick Boy

Reece-Mogg has views best on religious beliefs.

He defends women’s rights in parliament and is respected by many including Jess Phillips. He doesn’t impose such views on others and has made it clear he’d never seek the change the law on such matters - it is a point of principal.

The snarling bigoted left thought police on here prove the OP has a very valid point.

Trust you to stick up for a man who believes rape victims are wrong to abort their rapists baby.

Astute

I have quite a lot of friends who are gay. The wife always wanted a gay son who is very camp. But......

Although I am not religious I respect people who are religious. This can include not letting people sleep together who are not married. Being gay is against some religions. Then you have people sleeping under their roof.

I agree that if you open up a business you should accept all. Everyone should be respected. But religions should be respected. And so should freedom of speech.

Not clear cut to me. And some gay people agree. You have those who hide who they really are. But then you have some who are totally militant and only want to cause trouble to highlight anything that they don't agree with. Then you have the majority that just want to be left alone to have a normal life. They want to blend in. They are normal people so why not be treated as so?

Sick Boy

I have quite a lot of friends who are gay. The wife always wanted a gay son who is very camp. But......

Although I am not religious I respect people who are religious. This can include not letting people sleep together who are not married. Being gay is against some religions. Then you have people sleeping under their roof.

I agree that if you open up a business you should accept all. Everyone should be respected. But religions should be respected. And so should freedom of speech.

Not clear cut to me. And some gay people agree. You have those who hide who they really are. But then you have some who are totally militant and only want to cause trouble to highlight anything that they don't agree with. Then you have the majority that just want to be left alone to have a normal life. They want to blend in. They are normal people so why not be treated as so?

What is a militant gay person?

Grendel

Trust you to stick up for a man who believes rape victims are wrong to abort their rapists baby.

I’m not I’m sticking up for the basics of democracy - freedom of speech and expression.

Kingokings204

QUOTE="Astute, post: 1421109, member: 2627"]I have quite a lot of friends who are gay. The wife always wanted a gay son who is very camp. But......

Not clear cut to me. And some gay people agree. You have those who hide who they really are. But then you have some who are totally militant and only want to cause trouble to highlight anything that they don't agree with. Then you have the majority that just want to be left alone to have a normal life. They want to blend in. They are normal people so why not be treated as so?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree and I wouldn't discriminate against gay people in my business either as an example but I do agree with people expressing their wish based on their religion or whatever. If someone doesn't want to accept their business because of their sexuality let's say then it's surely their damn loss but allow them their opinion.

Sick Boy

I’m not I’m sticking up for the basics of democracy - freedom of speech and expression.

Hahaha you regularly insult those who happen to disagree with you. It's funny that I haven't seen you doing the same for other groups of people apart from rich narrow minded toffs. Weird that.

Astute

Nice stories, but not really militants.
Part of the link

Back home in New York in '75, I joined the militant Gay Activists Alliance, no longer in its heyday but still a force. You could walk in and have a say. They even used Robert's Rules of Order. All the groups operated democratically. No one was getting paid. It was all people power.

Gazolba

Wealth is redistributed when the wealthy spend their money.
If they never spend it, it does not do them much good anyway.

martcov

QUOTE="Astute, post: 1421109, member: 2627"]I have quite a lot of friends who are gay. The wife always wanted a gay son who is very camp. But......

Yeah I agree and I wouldn't discriminate against gay people in my business either as an example but I do agree with people expressing their wish based on their religion or whatever. If someone doesn't want to accept their business because of their sexuality let's say then it's surely their damn loss but allow them their opinion.[/QUOTE]

You think businesses should choose who they serve is the same as allowing people to have opinions? What if you don’t like „blacks“ or Muslims? Just turn them away? What if a company doesn’t like your face? In their opinion you are not worth serving?

Astute

Yeah I agree and I wouldn't discriminate against gay people in my business either as an example but I do agree with people expressing their wish based on their religion or whatever. If someone doesn't want to accept their business because of their sexuality let's say then it's surely their damn loss but allow them their opinion.

You think businesses should choose who they serve is the same as allowing people to have opinions? What if you don’t like „blacks“ or Muslims? Just turn them away? What if a company doesn’t like your face? In their opinion you are not worth serving?[/QUOTE]
Is that what I said though?

I said I respect religious beliefs although not religious myself.

KOK said similar but in a different way. He said nothing about racism. So where did this diatribe come from?

My point was that we have to respect peoples religion and beliefs. Even if we don't agree with them. I also said that they shouldn't go into business in something that would cause conflict. How about where religious beliefs state that people don't sleep together if not married? Can they stop heterosexual couples but not homosexual couples?

As I said it isn't a clear cut problem.

martcov

You think businesses should choose who they serve is the same as allowing people to have opinions? What if you don’t like „blacks“ or Muslims? Just turn them away? What if a company doesn’t like your face? In their opinion you are not worth serving?
Is that what I said though?

I said I respect religious beliefs although not religious myself.

KOK said similar but in a different way. He said nothing about racism. So where did this diatribe come from?

My point was that we have to respect peoples religion and beliefs. Even if we don't agree with them. I also said that they shouldn't go into business in something that would cause conflict. How about where religious beliefs state that people don't sleep together if not married? Can they stop heterosexual couples but not homosexual couples?

As I said it isn't a clear cut problem.[/QUOTE]

It is clear cut. You can have your opinions, but if you’re in business you can’t pick and choose your clients based on your views on sex, religion colour or whatever. If you have this inflexible attitude don’t go into business.

Grendel

Sky Blue Pete

Well this is absolute bollocks. The whole premise this is based on is utterly flawed in that it indicates that those who earn less don't work as hard. I'm fortunate enough to earn decent enough money. My mum works a damn load harder than me and earns less than half what i do.
Bang on mate.

Grendel

Astute

No one should be discriminated against full stop.
Hooray. You have got my point.

We shouldn't discriminate against people and how they lead their lives as ling as it doesn't harm others. We shouldn't discriminate against people's religious beliefs. This is the fine line I mentioned.

Should people have the right to keep to their religious beliefs in their own home?

It is debatable whichever way you look at it.

Sick Boy

Hooray. You have got my point.

We shouldn't discriminate against people and how they lead their lives as ling as it doesn't harm others. We shouldn't discriminate against people's religious beliefs. This is the fine line I mentioned.

Should people have the right to keep to their religious beliefs in their own home?

It is debatable whichever way you look at it.

If they're offering a service and then their beliefs are imposed upon others and lead to discrimination, that is wrong.

Astute

It is clear cut. You can have your opinions, but if you’re in business you can’t pick and choose your clients based on your views on sex, religion colour or whatever. If you have this inflexible attitude don’t go into business.

Would a B&B be able to stop a heterosexual unmarried couple from having a room in their own home if their religion doesn't agree with it?

As I have said they shouldn't be in the business. But it is debatable on religious grounds.

Otis

I quite like Peter Tatchell. Obviously flawed, (aren't we all) and I don't agree with some things he says, but I find him articulate and interesting.

For what it's worth I don't think cake shop should turn someone away because they are gay, but I do think they should be able to draw a line on what they are prepared to put on the cake. Otherwise is it okay to put 'F**k off you fat slag' or 'Happy Birthday you c**t?'

Last edited:

martcov

It is a difficult question but I am not comfortable with kind of discrimination. Should someone be able to refuse service based on the colour of their skin?

That was my point. If it’s ok to discriminate on religious grounds, then why can’t people discriminate based on their opinions of black people? Better to say no discrimination. Full stop.

Astute

It is a difficult question but I am not comfortable with kind of discrimination. Should someone be able to refuse service based on the colour of their skin?
You are bringing in racist comments into a totally different subject.

Are you surprised that Tatchell says similar to what I have been saying is a fine line?

Users who are viewing this thread