Luis Binks (3 Viewers)

Happy_Martian

Agreed, the fact that 22 players left the club from various levels frees up a lot of cash for wages (we saved loan fees as well) I'd expect a much smaller squad this season but operating at a higher standard ( quality rather than quantity)

And herein lies the blade. We complained regularly last season about lack of strength in depth. Not that the first 11 wasn't good enough but when injuries hit, we had noone to replace them of any similar quality. Our midfield relying on 3 under-23s for months was a telling period. Our bad run when Fadz was out. Trimming the fat is only so good while there is fat to trim. Of our first team squad now, if we lose any of the starters, do we really have enough players of a high enough standard to fill in for a month, 3 months or in the case of an ACL or an ongoing Kelly, for the rest of the season ?

We can't deny that things are progressing well. It's looking good but we can't be satisfied with things as they are. Personally, I'd say that a balanced squad is far more important than looking at numbers or individual quality.

Jcap

Have you completely lost your mind or just genuinely being stupid? O hare is our best player and walks into any championship team. The disrespect is a joke.
He’s had a nasty injury, no guarantees he comes back the same player. If he does, that’s a huge bonus but let’s not get carried away.

Happy_Martian

Multi lingual? Robins said Sakamoto is learning English but who other than that do you think can't speak good English?

I actually don't think this will be a problem. Saka was playing in Belgium so probably speaks Dutch, Flemish or French. We've now got Milan from the Netherlands. Both of which spoke respectable English during their intro videos.

And we've got Gus who is Dutch (on his passport, birth cert is different) so communication between the three of them shouldn't be hard.

As has been said, the team can cope with communicating to Wilson so we don't have those problems to contend with :p

NortonSkyBlue

He's a very unhappy man

I used to troll when I didn't like my job. Since career change don't have the time or motivation anymore lol

One of my year 10s wrote me the loveliest letter on the last day btw. After van erwick it's the best thing to happen to me in last 7 days lol
That’s lovely but I do hope you are not an English teacher...

fatso

The point I’m trying to make (and clearly failing) is they operated entirely on income in and using that to fund the whole operation

It clearly was falling apart in the championship as the operational costs were much higher to compete and they were having to bridge gaps through external high interest loans

So could they have afforded the players - yes clearly they could as the money would have been in the club to pay the fees and the structure to get them. The issue arises when the operating costs need paying

That’s when we will see what king is capable of and how he achieves that funding and if external borrowing is required

We simply do not know
There's little point in King (allegedly) clearing all our debts, and then seeking to borrow again to fund operating costs, what would be the point, and why get involved at all?

I think King can see that backing MR's in the transfer market will be the best way to generate future profits. We can see that in the profile of the new recrutes.

No Waghorn types this season, just young players that we actually own, all of them capable of being in the starting 11 and all with long term contracts and potential resale value.

In theory, we now only need to sell 1 player to a top club every couple of years to sustain our development, and if we achieve promotion in the meantime then its happy days.

I'm also sure Mr Kings working relationship with the new landlord is far better than Sisu's was with the council, so all parties can now actually work together for the common good for a change, and we should be able to drop any plans for another stadium, thus saving more resources.

Sky Blue Pete

There's little point in King (allegedly) clearing all our debts, and then seeking to borrow again to fund operating costs, what would be the point, and why get involved at all?

I think King can see that backing MR's in the transfer market will be the best way to generate future profits. We can see that in the profile of the new recrutes.

No Waghorn types this season, just young players that we actually own, all of them capable of being in the starting 11 and all with long term contracts and potential resale value.

In theory, we now only need to sell 1 player to a top club every couple of years to sustain our development, and if we achieve promotion in the meantime then its happy days.

I'm also sure Mr Kings working relationship with the new landlord is far better than Sisu's was with the council, so all parties can now actually work together for the common good for a change, and we should be able to drop any plans for another stadium, thus saving more resources.
That’s the theory
We have to be happy too and I’ve said before the fan base have been excellent about yok going

Samo

That’s the theory
We have to be happy too and I’ve said before the fan base have been excellent about yok going

It's a strange one with Yok. Although I admired him as a player and enjoyed watching him, I never felt that emotional connection that you feel for some players, Gus for example.

Last edited:

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

And herein lies the blade. We complained regularly last season about lack of strength in depth. Not that the first 11 wasn't good enough but when injuries hit, we had noone to replace them of any similar quality. Our midfield relying on 3 under-23s for months was a telling period. Our bad run when Fadz was out. Trimming the fat is only so good while there is fat to trim. Of our first team squad now, if we lose any of the starters, do we really have enough players of a high enough standard to fill in for a month, 3 months or in the case of an ACL or an ongoing Kelly, for the rest of the season ?

We can't deny that things are progressing well. It's looking good but we can't be satisfied with things as they are. Personally, I'd say that a balanced squad is far more important than looking at numbers or individual quality.
With Robins having said recently he wanted another 10 in (2 of those now done i think?) You'd hopefully be looking at an improvement in terms of squad depth. We'll have to wait and see who comes in before knowing for sure i suppose but signs so far have been good, i juat hope we can do most of our remaining business before the season begins.

fatso

As you say, I'd say we had plenty of numbers last year, but they just weren't good enough to rely on.

I'm talking about players like:
Waghorn
Walker
Kane
Decosta
Rose
Rowe
Dinanga
Maguire

That's more than enough depth, just not enough strength in there, and some of those players would of been on good money.

We can't continue to carry that amount of fat, hence I feel we will have a smaller squad but will be looking to push the u23's to compete at first team level.
The loan market is an obvious route, but its only really useful if there's an option to buy, otherwise we develop other clubs players beyond our means which is crazy. (Doyle and Mcnally for example)

SHUNT31

I actually don't think this will be a problem. Saka was playing in Belgium so probably speaks Dutch, Flemish or French. We've now got Milan from the Netherlands. Both of which spoke respectable English during their intro videos.

And we've got Gus who is Dutch (on his passport, birth cert is different) so communication between the three of them shouldn't be hard.

As has been said, the team can cope with communicating to Wilson so we don't have those problems to contend with :p
Gus doesn’t even sound Dutch.

Sounds like he’s from Dorset 🤣

Sick Boy

Milan probably speaks and writes better English than a lot of natives.

fatso

Why? Because O hare is our best player and some people aren’t wanting him back in the team?
I think we all want him back ASAP!

The thing is, we don't want to rush him back, and there's always the question of "will he still be able to reach the same level as before?"

For some players an ACL is the end of or beginning of the end of their career at this level. Jodie Jones being a classic example.

We can't put pressure on O'hare to return, he must be 100% before coming back, and that will take some time, but in the meantime we need to cover that position in the team.
Palmer could potentially do it, but has had his own injury issues, and maybe Sakamoto could do the job, but as yet he's untested at this level.
We can't and won't stand still though thats for sure, so I expect another quick, young talent to join us before the end of the window.

Grendel

I think King can see that backing MR's in the transfer market will be the best way to generate future profits.

He will not himself have cleared debts and I would be very surprised if he would personally fund operational losses (which there will be)

Profit is not achievable without promotion

CCFCSteve

He will not himself have cleared debts and I would be very surprised if he would personally fund operational losses (which there will be)

Profit is not achievable without promotion

Operationally (day to day) I agree we are unlikely to make a profit, however, as others have alluded to it looks like we might be moving towards the original SISU model of buying up and coming players that can be sold on for a profit if we don’t get promoted

Robinshio

Operationally (day to day) I agree we are unlikely to make a profit, however, as others have alluded to it looks like we might be moving towards the original SISU model of buying up and coming players that can be sold on for a profit if we don’t get promoted
correct . and it is about growing the investment

so if he loses £10m a year for 3 years, but then sells the club for £35m more than he bought it for- he makes a profit

Offhegoes

I think we all want him back ASAP!

The thing is, we don't want to rush him back, and there's always the question of "will he still be able to reach the same level as before?"

For some players an ACL is the end of or beginning of the end of their career at this level. Jodie Jones being a classic example.

We can't put pressure on O'hare to return, he must be 100% before coming back, and that will take some time, but in the meantime we need to cover that position in the team.
Palmer could potentially do it, but has had his own injury issues, and maybe Sakamoto could do the job, but as yet he's untested at this level.
We can't and won't stand still though thats for sure, so I expect another quick, young talent to join us before the end of the window.
Jodi Jones did his ACL 3 times though, with very little playing time in-between. That's what affected his career, + he was a pacey, tricky winger who relied on his pace. O'Hare can easiy recapture his form from one ACL injury. Problem is if he does it again numerous times. but plenty of players have an ACL injury only once in their career

Deity

Your own players are assets that would be included in any valuation of the club. Developing other clubs players through the loan system doesn’t add value to the financial valuation of the club.

San Francisco

Milan probably speaks and writes better English than a lot of natives.

I was really impressed with his English when I watched the signing videos. The English teaching standard in Holland must be quite high plus Dutch and Frisian are the two closest languages to English.

shmmeee

I was really impressed with his English when I watched the signing videos. The English teaching standard in Holland must be quite high plus Dutch and Frisian are the two closest languages to English.

It is. My missus speaks better English than most English people I know. It’s quite rare to find a Dutch person under 30 who doesn’t speak fluent English in my experience. Especially one born in Amsterdam where half the population doesn’t even speak Dutch.

San Francisco

Especially one born in Amsterdam where half the population doesn’t even speak Dutch.

Shocking that really. Can't imagine visiting another country let alone living there without knowing at the very least few words and phrases to communicate with locals.

When in Rome... or in this case, when in Amsterdam...

shmmeee

Shocking that really. Can't imagine visiting another country without knowing at the very least few words and phrases to communicate with locals let alone living there.

When in Rome... or in this case, when in Amsterdam...

Missus’ brother is dating a Thai girl who has lived there for six years and doesn’t speak a word of Dutch. Her parents were complaining after a trip to Amsterdam that half the shops they went in the people didn’t speak Dutch. Everyone speaks English. I’d imagine a lot of international cities are like that but don’t know.

Brighton Sky Blue

Missus’ brother is dating a Thai girl who has lived there for six years and doesn’t speak a word of Dutch. Her parents were complaining after a trip to Amsterdam that half the shops they went in the people didn’t speak Dutch. Everyone speaks English. I’d imagine a lot of international cities are like that but don’t know.
I had to tell an Irishman in Dublin he’d misspelled ‘craic’

San Francisco

Most major capitals have become "international cities" thanks to globalisation thus English has become the lingua franca. If you want to experience Holland then you're better off visiting smaller cities/towns and villages where you get that proper local feel.

Users who are viewing this thread