Maddison (1 Viewer)

CovInEssex

How did we make him? A player of his quality will make it no matter what academy they’re in

SlowerThanPlatt

Yeah if it was that easy every player with raw talent would make it to the top our national team would be the best in the world.

England’s youth is the best but the majority don’t get the opportunity which is why we are seeing some go abroad

SlowerThanPlatt

Think it goes back further than that just us and Villa were the mainstays of the top division so that grew. Wasn’t there a running pitch battle with Leicester back in early 80s?

Pitch invasions by Coventry City and Leicester City fans. Fighting between rival fans on the field holds up the match for 10 minutes

Found this interesting - the Coventry City experience 1981-1984. Also whether we were right to go all seater

http://hillsborough.independent.gov.uk/repository/docs/TSO000000750001.pdf

April 1981:

Protest banners appear at Coventry City home games

August 1983:

During the close season, many of the club's star players seek, and are granted, transfers, including Danny Thomas (£350,000 to Tottenham Hotspur) and Garry Gillespie (£250,000 to Liverpool). Replacement players are largely recruited from lower divisions.

Not much has changed :woot:

SlowerThanPlatt

April 1982:

Announcement that Coventry City home attendances fell by over 25% in the first year of the all-seater. Average gates stand at just over 13,000.

December 1982:

Just over 8,000 fans, the club's lowest ever First Division crowd, watch the home defeat of Brighton. Club debts of £565,000 are announced.

Hill remarks that the all-seater is "almost spat upon" in Coventry

SlowerThanPlatt

Do people really have an issue with a person saying they will check a result before ours? He’s a Man United fan - Cov were just his local team/team he played for

Manchester_sky_blue

I agree their is no loyality on either side as its a business. I would not have used terms like heart and fantastic club. Just toned it down quite a bit and been more neutral.Still a place for principles in my view.

Maybe James Maddison not experienced the unpleasant side of some of their supporters.

They don't write these things themselves.......... clubs have social media bods for that.

DazzleTommyDazzle

Really pleased for him.

It was evident from his first game that he had a special talent.

It would have been good to seen more of him in a Cov shirt, but hopefully the money will be put to good use.

ccfcrob

Given there is only you and Stanley Unwin thinking they have been good then that’s an odd argument.

The referees are sub standard. Look at the ludicrous decision to award a free kick abd not a penalty yesterday. Then the Colombia “foul” for their goal.

As for VOR it’s a shambles of an invention. It’s rules for operating are confusing and massively flawed.
Fair enough, personally they have been good for me, games have flowed, VAR has been a good addition, already quicker then it is in American sports. It can only get faster and better with time. Eventually it will eradicate diving and off the ball incidents will be picked up at the time. Meaning teams will get an advantage during the game rather than a retrospective ban that would benefit the next 3 teams.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Luckily Richard Stevens took him to task admirably

I don't get the Social Media outrage to Maddison going to Leicester. He's no longer a Coventry City player and hasn't been for 2 and a half years. Like I said earlier on this thread, it's not like he will ever play for us again, unless it's when he's 37 looking for a last pay day. A Norwich player has moved to Leicester.

On the other hand, I don't get the Social Media loving towards Maddison. He only played 24 games for us before signing for Norwich and then 11 games when he came back on loan . When he came back on loan, Maddison made it abundantly clear he didn't give a fuck anymore and had lost interest, to the extent that he wasn't even making the 16 man squad by the end of the season. He's also the first to praise players leaving the club.

Anyway...
Our only interest in Maddison was that we got a 10-15% cut on whatever he went for. I only care about CCFC and wanted us to get as much money from the deal as possible and so be it, he went to Leicester - who bid the highest amount for him. We got £2mill - £3mill as part of the deal, which is fantastic and hopefully will stop SISU from selling players for a season - meaning we can keep the likes of McNulty and Bayliss and have a decent shot at League 1. Hopefully SISU won't be snapping hands off for 500K for one of them now... The vested interest in Maddison, is now over.

ajsccfc

When Marc McNulty is sold to a Championship club or whatever, I can only assume all the same raging Cov fans will be perfectly fine with him just talking about Scotland in the article that goes with it.

Otis

Fans is stupid!

Based on that one, single Champions League game, some Liverpool fans were saying that the keeper, Karius, should never ever play for the club again.

The overreaction to things these days in general is ridiculous to say the least.

Captain Dart

There are Cov fans calling him a c**t on Twitter, I don't think any club holds exclusivity on dickhead supporters to be honest.
300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I don't get the Social Media outrage to Maddison going to Leicester. He's no longer a Coventry City player and hasn't been for 2 and a half years. Like I said earlier on this thread, it's not like he will ever play for us again, unless it's when he's 37 looking for a last pay day. A Norwich player has moved to Leicester.

On the other hand, I don't get the Social Media loving towards Maddison. He only played 24 games for us before signing for Norwich and then 11 games when he came back on loan . When he came back on loan, Maddison made it abundantly clear he didn't give a fuck anymore and had lost interest, to the extent that he wasn't even making the 16 man squad by the end of the season. He's also the first to praise players leaving the club.

Anyway...
Our only interest in Maddison was that we got a 10-15% cut on whatever he went for. I only care about CCFC and wanted us to get as much money from the deal as possible and so be it, he went to Leicester - who bid the highest amount for him. We got £2mill - £3mill as part of the deal, which is fantastic and hopefully will stop SISU from selling players for a season - meaning we can keep the likes of McNulty and Bayliss and have a decent shot at League 1. Hopefully SISU won't be snapping hands off for 500K for one of them now... The vested interest in Maddison, is now over.

Absolutely spot on!

play_in_skyblue_stripes

I always thought the Leicester thing was a convenience thing. We got relegated, had no rivals.

Villa don’t really care about us and Forest and Derby don’t really care about them. So we both contrived to make a rivalry?

Either way good luck to the lad, he’ll play for England

I never saw Leicester as rivals and viewed them as a bit of a joke to be quite honest. Rivals are Villa and previously Wolves.

Never saw them as rivals but always disliked them because of fans.

Sure joke is on us these days but expect the natural equilibrium to be restored eventually. Football success goes in cycles (hopefully in case of Coventry City!!).

skybluesam66

the equilibrium with Villa will be the 1st to be restored
I would argue that they are going to be in the bottom 1/3 of the championship next year, and hopefully us in the top 1/3 of league 1
It would not take too much for us to be playing in the same league as them in the following season

NorthernWisdom

Think it goes back further than that just us and Villa were the mainstays of the top division so that grew. Wasn’t there a running pitch battle with Leicester back in early 80s?

Found this interesting - the Coventry City experience 1981-1984. Also whether we were right to go all seater

http://hillsborough.independent.gov.uk/repository/docs/TSO000000750001.pdf

April 1981:

August 1983:

Not much has changed :woot:
More impressed that we only needed a crowd of 11,500 to break even in the top flight!

Adge

I can’t believe they’ve gone ahead with the transfer without consulting you Adge. What a waste of money - could have saved £22m if they just asked you
Your obsessed!
It might be a waste of money .Let's wait and see if he does it in the Prem.

SlowerThanPlatt

Your obsessed!
It might be a waste of money .Let's wait and see if he does it in the Prem.

Not obsessed - just have a good memory

One of us said he was a League One standard player and not good enough for the Championship

One of us said within 2 years he’ll join a Premier League club for very big money

Adge

Not obsessed - just have a good memory

One of us said he was a League One standard player and not good enough for the Championship

One of us said within 2 years he’ll join a Premier League club for very big money
Correct. What about it?

Adge

I can be wrong once in a while you know! To readdress the balance I said Kelly Evans would end up at the Boro if you can be bothered to find it? :emoji_thumbsup:
My "opinion" on Bayliss is that I think he will go all the way-looks a better player than when Maddison first came on the scene.

Users who are viewing this thread