Man arrested for killing a burglar (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Homeowner, 78, arrested after 'burglar stabbed to death during break-in'

You would think they would apply a bit more common sense, 78 year old finds 2 people in his house. 1 of them armed with a screwdriver and has a struggle and ends up killing the bloke.

Hope the guy is released as soon as possible and looked after and the other burglar is charged with burglary and also something else blaming him for the other guy dying. Wouldn't have happened if they didn't break in.

Otis

Homeowner, 78, arrested after 'burglar stabbed to death during break-in'

You would think they would apply a bit more common sense, 78 year old finds 2 people in his house. 1 of them armed with a screwdriver and has a struggle and ends up killing the bloke.

Hope the guy is released as soon as possible and looked after and the other burglar is charged with burglary and also something else blaming him for the other guy dying. Wouldn't have happened if they didn't break in.
Should be no arrest. Plain and simple. There should simply be a 'come down the station to give a statement and explain it all' request.

Only after thorough investigation should there be any thought of arrest.

Seems here that he was pretty much straight away arrested on GBH.

If that's true, it's madness.

Nick

Administrator
The way I read it is that the homeowner was forced into the kitchen by the burglar who was armed with a screwdriver?

Why does that then warrant him being arrested if he is being threatened in his own house by a bloke with a screwdriver while another goes to look to steal stuff?

Stuff like that annoys me, I'd dread to think how somebody would end up if I caught them breaking in. Anything I could find would be a weapon whether it was a TV or a shoe, it wouldn't be the time to think "what if he dies" it would be more "what if he gets up and stabs me and I die".

CovBurty

bastards deserved to get killed. picking on the elderly. scum. if this happened more often then maybe the scum would think about getting a job instead of being a waster. Fair play to the old boy.

Marty

Fair play to him, I had my house broken into about 6 months back, would loved to have been here when they got in.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

He definitely shouldn't be charged with anything. You break in, you lose a lot of your rights I think.

He probably didn't deserve to lose a lot of his rights, but it would be interesting to know what happened in the struggle.

That farmer got put away a few years ago if I remember, but I think that was because he shot the thief in the back which raised questions.

Astute

People power will make sure that it won't go far. But on the off chance that we get one of them stupid judges he would soon be out if given a sentence inside. And the lags would look after him.

Yes we need human rights. But there needs to be a time when they are lost. And breaking into a pensioners home is one of them. The law needs to be on the side of the pensioner.

Captain Dart

No doubt which way public opinion will lie, but how will the law be interpreted?

Astute

No doubt which way public opinion will lie, but how will the law be interpreted?
Self defence.

78 year old covered in bruises. Burglar took the weapon into house.

It would take a very brave CPS decision to prosecute him. Or stupid.

I suppose the police do need to investigate the death. But the charge changed from GBH to murder. And murder should mean there was at least intent.

For all we know the 78 year old could have a past from years ago. But it was in his own home, seems like he was attacked and only stabbed him with the screwdriver once. Bloody good shot if you ask me.

Captain Dart

If the stupid f**kers prosecute then you can count me in to contribute to his defence fund.

Nick

Administrator
The bloke has gone to bed one night with everything normal and woken up during the night to find people in his house threatening him with a screwdriver. He is now finding himself in police customer on suspicion of murder.

It's going to be tricky though, as in that split second he stabbed him he may well have wanted to kill him or seriously hurt him out of panic so is that murder stilll?

Astute

The bloke has gone to bed one night with everything normal and woken up during the night to find people in his house threatening him with a screwdriver. He is now finding himself in police customer on suspicion of murder.

It's going to be tricky though, as in that split second he stabbed him he may well have wanted to kill him or seriously hurt him out of panic so is that murder stilll?
You are allowed sufficient force. And the heat of the moment comes into it.

But if the old bloke has chased him out of the house and then stabbed him it is a different matter altogether.

Nick

Administrator
You are allowed sufficient force. And the heat of the moment comes into it.

But if the old bloke has chased him out of the house and then stabbed him it is a different matter altogether.

Yeah there is that, but heat of the moment still needs to come into it.

If somebody breaks into my house and I chase them out the front door and give them a hiding, it's a bit different to me opening the door to the postman and giving him a hiding.

Astute

If somebody breaks into my house and I chase them out the front door and give them a hiding, it's a bit different to me opening the door to the postman and giving him a hiding.
The law would say that you didn't need to chase him as any danger had gone once he has left the property. You could chase him, bring him to the ground and then wait for the police. If he then attacks you then defence force is usable.

In other words if you want ti give him a good hiding do it in your own property. You should be safe from prosecution then.

Nick

Administrator
The law would say that you didn't need to chase him as any danger had gone once he has left the property. You could chase him, bring him to the ground and then wait for the police. If he then attacks you then defence force is usable.

In other words if you want ti give him a good hiding do it in your own property. You should be safe from prosecution then.

Yeah, understand that's what the law says but I would want them as far away as possible or ideally unable to move until the police come and take them away.

It's a scary thought to think somebody could break in, get a whack, land funny and die and you are arrested for murder.

Astute

Yeah, understand that's what the law says but I would want them as far away as possible or ideally unable to move until the police come and take them away.

It's a scary thought to think somebody could break in, get a whack, land funny and die and you are arrested for murder.
Once they have left your property immunity is vastly reduced. You are then reduced to necessary force to aid citizens arrest. Inside your property you are acting in self defence and protection of others inside the property. And necessary force has never been explained as each event is different.

rob9872

The law should be changed to say that you can do whatever you like to someone breaking in. That way it might act as a bit of a deterrent against some of the scumbags breaking in. If they need to feed their drug habit then I'd rather they rob from Sainsbury's than someone's house. I know theft is theft, but it's simply not the same in my eyes and they deserve all they get once they've entered your home.

Captain Dart

The law should be changed to say that you can do whatever you like to someone breaking in. That way it might act as a bit of a deterrent against some of the scumbags breaking in. If they need to feed their drug habit then I'd rather they rob from Sainsbury's than someone's house. I know theft is theft, but it's simply not the same in my eyes and they deserve all they get once they've entered your home.
I think that is what the law is in the States.

Malaka

It is not murder, I'm sure the chap never set out to murder him. I would be scared if in his situation and we all do stuff when we are scared. He was probably scared for his life and a court should examine the evidence to ascertain if this was so.It should be manslaughter and a conditional discharge afforded to him if he acted reasonably, of which I have no doubt that he did.

Otis

I don't know, I have been waiting 7 days for a dashcam satnav mat.

Another couple of days and I am not sure I will be able to restrain myself any further.

I've also just got to wait for the smaller postman who's on our round to be on his shift.

Sick Boy

There's no way he should be prosecuted for murder, it's not like he chased the guy out into the street. If you are genuinely fearing for your life or that of your loved ones' in that moment, what are you supposed to do?

Otis

There's no way he should be prosecuted for murder, it's not like he chased the guy out into the street. If you are genuinely fearing for your life or that of your loved ones' in that moment, what are you supposed to do?
The guy was found in a street around the corner though.

Could it be the police believe the guy was indeed stabbed out in the street?

wingy

The guy was found in a street around the corner though.

Could it be the police believe the guy was indeed stabbed out in the street?
Not according to eyewitness who saw him running down the Street.
There was a struggle as the pensioner has bruising to his Arm,that's my take anyway.

Sick Boy

Well that was my thinking. If that was the case though surely the police wouldn't charge the homeowner with murder would they?

Has he actually been charged then? I thought he had just been arrested at the moment.

wingy

I'm no fan in cases like this and certain others where people get placed under Arrest when really it should be purely helping with inquiries.
It tends to sound like a bit of a slur .

Users who are viewing this thread