Match Thread Middlesbrough vs Coventry City Play off Semi final 2nd leg Match Thread - Wednesday 17th May (3 Viewers)

jordan210

Holiday Cant Wait GIF by Beeld en Geluid

Gone be a bumpy ride !

Discuss the match, tactics and predictions

Covkid1968#

I fear we have reached the end of the road…Boro 1-0 and shut up shop once scored.

shmmeee

Still thinking this is going to pens. Nothing I’ve seen last two games changes my mind on that. The two styles and managers are interesting and cancel each other out well. If it’s won it’ll be by the odd but of brilliance/mistake I think.

1-1 AET Boro through on pens 5-3

Wilson
McNally Fadz Doyle
BNC Kelly Sheaf Bidwell
Hamer Allen
Gyokeres

S: Moore, Panzo, Dabo, JWE, Eccles, Godden, Maguire/Walker/Palmer

TomRad85

Boro slight favourites but if we remain solid we can nick this. They are a very decent championship team but not Real Madrid are they. Worth remembering that although they tend to score a lot of goals, against us they've managed 1 in 3 games and that was from a complete defensive balls up.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

TomRad85

Still thinking this is going to pens. Nothing I’ve seen last two games changes my mind on that. The two styles and managers are interesting and cancel each other out well. If it’s won it’ll be by the odd but of brilliance/mistake I think.

1-1 AET Boro through on pens 5-3

Wilson
McNally Fadz Doyle
BNC Kelly Sheaf Bidwell
Hamer Allen
Gyokeres

S: Moore, Panzo, Dabo, JWE, Eccles, Godden, Maguire/Walker
That's the line up I'd go with too, although I think Hamer would largely be sat in the 3 rather than up by Allen. With a licence to break forward of course.

shmmeee

Boro slight favourites but if we remain solid we can nick this. They are a very decent championship team but not Real Madrid are they. Worth remembering that although they tend to score a lot of goals, against us they've managed 1 in 3 games and that was from a complete defensive balls up.

They look like the sort of team that if you’re the slightest bit open they’ll rip you apart. We’ve got to sit deep against them really. It does null our attacking threat, but the alternative is conceding a load of goals.

Sky Blue Pete

That's the line up I'd go with too, although I think Hamer would largely be sat in the 3 rather than up by Allen. With a licence to break forward of course.

Allen not a cm though as he played Sunday
He needs to play behind yok

shmmeee

Not sure I like 5311 as much as 3421, in an ideal world we’d have another AM, and we press as a three that would include Hamer I’d expect. But basically, it’s Gus, tell him to go out and enjoy himself.

SkyBlueSoul

My gut is saying 1-0 Boro but it's very, very close. Wouldn't be surprised with another 0-0/1-1 and all the way to pens. They struggle to break us down and looked organised enough to not allow us much on the break. Now Allen's had a couple or run outs I'd bring him in for Godden, the rest I'd leave.

Wilson
McNally Fadz Doyle
BNC Hamer Kelly Eccles Bidwell
Allen
Vik

Obviously Gus would essentially be everywhere rather than sat in next to Kelly, breaking things up and bursting forwards with Allen hassling the shit out of them.

Briles

If Robins keeps the same team he will be playing for the draw 100%. I was pissed off at how deep we were but on reflection, if it was attack vs attack we wouldn't be outscoring them. Im going 1-0 either way

shmmeee

If Robins keeps the same team he will be playing for the draw 100%. I was pissed off at how deep we were but on reflection, if it was attack vs attack we wouldn't be outscoring them. Im going 1-0 either way

If we had Palmer and/or O’Hare I think you’d see a different tactic. But with the personnel we’ve got hoping for a bit of magic from Gus or Vik while the rest stay tight is probably our best hope.

PVA

I fear these knocks and injuries in midfield are finally going to catch up with us.

Hamer and Eccles carrying knocks.
Sheaf and Allen seemingly not fully fit.
Plus of course O'Hare and Palmer out

Leaves us with... Liam Kelly as the only fully fit midfielder!

Briles

If we had Palmer and/or O’Hare I think you’d see a different tactic. But with the personnel we’ve got hoping for a bit of magic from Gus or Vik while the rest stay tight is probably our best hope.

Defo. Hopefully boro come at us a bit more at their place and we can counter better that we did Yesterday

Brighton Sky Blue

Wilson

BNC
McNally
McF
Doyle
Bidwell

Sheaf
Hamer
Kelly
Allen

Gyo

2-0 Boro and Sky to bum Carrick for 10 days

KenilworthSkyBlue

Given their potency at home I can't particularly see us winning. The best we can hope for is it goes to ET and penalties really.

I can see what Robins was trying to do yesterday in terms of sitting back, waiting for them to make a mistake and trying to get them on the break but they nullified that completely by getting close to Gyokeres and putting multiple bodies on him. I suspect they'll do the same on Wednesday.

I'd swap Godden with Allen. We need another body in midfield to give Hamer more fluidity and give him license to get forward more. Midfield was bypassed at times once again. In the second half especially they were consistently going down the middle far too easily.

As others have said there's little point matching Middlesbrough, especially at Riverside, as we just won't outscore them. So I suspect much of the same in terms of tactics on Wednesday. Need to keep it tight, hope they make a mistake and catch them on the counter.

Last edited:

napolimp

Interesting reading the Sunderland forum, how terrible they think Coventry and Boro are after yesterdays game. I know they have a combined IQ of 10 between them, but you'd think they could muster a little critical thinking. We have one of the best defences in the league, most clean sheets for a reason, and restricted Boro's attacking threat. Boro didn't commit enough players forwards to allow us to counter effectively. Two teams cancelled each other out. I really can't see any change in tactics from either side, would be a huge gamble.

Brighton Sky Blue

Interesting reading the Sunderland forum, how terrible they think Coventry and Boro are after yesterdays game. I know they have a combined IQ of 10 between them, but you'd think they could muster a little critical thinking. We have one of the best defences in the league, most clean sheets for a reason, and restricted Boro's attacking threat. Boro didn't commit enough players forwards to allow us to counter effectively. Two teams cancelled each other out. I really can't see any change in tactics from either side, would be a huge gamble.

Without Cheat Code Diallo they’d be going to Luton behind.

TomRad85

Either us or Boro would do Sunderland in the final, that's why it would be a massive shame to miss out.

napolimp

Either us or Boro would do Sunderland in the final, that's why it would be a massive shame to miss out.

I'm inclined to agree. I don't think Sunderland's game would be effective against either. Boro would out attack them, and they'd be too vulnerable to the counter against us.

slowpoke

We saw yesterday what Middlesbrough are about, start well and have good pace going forward but as the game progressed and we pressed higher the more they dropped deeper, expected in a way looking to keep their clean sheet, expect more of the same Wednesday, keep the quite and at bay first 30 minutes and let’s see if they flap a bit, won’t be easy but I’m confident we will cause them problems, we’ll get chances im sure about that when we do got to take them…have faith.

Julie SBA

Would think he has to go one up top for this one with Godden dropping out for Allen and Sheaf coming in for Eccles or Hamer depending on injuries.
I'd also look at the bench, assuming Walkers season is done, if we're chasing the game, JWE and Burroughs would inject some pace out wide to replace tired legs. Dabo for BNC maybe if we are protecting a lead. Maguire is never going to be an answer to any question.

Yorkshire SB

If Sheaf starts and plays well, we'll look a different side.

I'm a bit unsure on what to do re Godden. He wasn't in the game, but then does a lot of unselfish running, and is there a risk Vik is isolated?

Users who are viewing this thread