Match Thread Middlesbrough vs Coventry City Play off Semi final 2nd leg Match Thread - Wednesday 17th May (8 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

Would think he has to go one up top for this one with Godden dropping out for Allen and Sheaf coming in for Eccles or Hamer depending on injuries.
I'd also look at the bench, assuming Walkers season is done, if we're chasing the game, JWE and Burroughs would inject some pace out wide to replace tired legs. Dabo for BNC maybe if we are protecting a lead. Maguire is never going to be an answer to any question.

I think a lot of this is going to come down to fitness rather than tactics. If they were fit and ready to go you’d have Sheaf/Hamer/Allen/Palmer in there no question.

Skyblue_CP

Also think that 1 up top for this,

Wilson
McNally Fadz Doyle
BNC Kelly Sheaf JWE
Allen Hamer
Gyokeres

Try and get abit of joy down the flanks, we gave them far too much respect first 25 yesterday, what Giles said in his interview almost ran true, we looked scared of them.

Sky Blue Pete

God knows what role Godden was playing yesterday. I'd be shocked if he even knew.
As robins was really happy with his contribution it is pretty clear he was doing what he was asked with the hope that a chance might fall to him
Pretty sure Allen would play the role he’s better at if fit
Godden was harrying and hassling
Allen does this and more in that he makes attacking runs but misses chances
Godden doesn’t make many runs and makes the most of his chances

KenilworthSkyBlue

As robins was really happy with his contribution it is pretty clear he was doing what he was asked with the hope that a chance might fall to him

Well it isn't. His role would've been to support Gyokeres and he failed miserably at doing that.

There was no link whatsoever between the two players all game.

It's pointless playing him in a supporting role if there isn't a midfielder in behind pushing forward to try and create chances. He can't run and he's only ever effective when physically in the opposition's box.

There were points in the game where he was completely out of position or far too deep to do anything remotely impactful.

Sky Blue Pete

Well it isn't. His role would've been to support Gyokeres and he failed miserably at doing that.

There was no link whatsoever between two players all game.
Lol
You think which
Robins didn’t explain himself
Godden didn’t do what he was asked
Robins was building confidence when asked and not saying what he truly thought
All of which could be true or none of it

KenilworthSkyBlue

Lol
You think which
Robins didn’t explain himself
Godden didn’t do what he was asked
Robins was building confidence when asked and not saying what he truly thought
All of which could be true or none of it

If you honestly think Godden played well then frankly you're not worth conversing with.

Mucca Mad Boys

I don’t think Godden played well. His role in the team is to finish off chances and in games where we struggle, he will not look good.

Realistically, if Sheaf is fit I’d play the box formation with Hamer and Allen behind Gyokeres. It should give us more energy on and off the ball without giving up a solid screen for the defence.

With Palmer and O’Hare in the side, I’d feel a lot more confident and our lack of depth is exposed somewhat.

To get to the playoffs without them in the first place is seriously impressive.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Like a lot of people here, I'd go for the box but give Hamer a bit of licence to either play AM or drop slightly deeper.

Depends on who's fit, but I'd go:

Wilson
McNally Fadz Doyle
BNC Sheaf Kelly Bidwell
Hamer Allen
Gyok

Moore, Panzo, Dabo, JWE, Eccles, Palmer, Godden

napolimp

We can only assume Robins asked him to not win any headers, and do his best Salmon impression.

Grendel

Indeed. Though real football fans should want to see O’Nien going off on a stretcher tomorrow evening

The boro fans were complaining about the bias sky coverage towards us

Grendel

Allen not a cm though as he played Sunday
He needs to play behind yok

? he’s played in central midfield with palmer in the team a lot this season

KenilworthSkyBlue

I don’t think Godden played well. His role in the team is to finish off chances and in games where we struggle, he will not look good.

Realistically, if Sheaf is fit I’d play the box formation with Hamer and Allen behind Gyokeres. It should give us more energy on and off the ball without giving up a solid screen for the defence.

With Palmer and O’Hare in the side, I’d feel a lot more confident and our lack of depth is exposed somewhat.

To get to the playoffs without them in the first place is seriously impressive.

I think that might cause us issues on Wednesday, especially in the second half.

With players coming back into the fold from injury, Middlesbrough will have a stronger bench in the next game with scope to do a lot more if it's all evens or they're behind.

3 games in the space of 9 days is a lot to cope with when you have a small squad. Especially when we've made a grand total of two substitutions in the past two games - both of those being Eccles.

eastwoodsdustman

We are better against them with a high press up front. Playing one Striker will just allow them to push forward at will. I have a felling Allen will come in for Eccles and Allen and Gus will take turns with the high press.
They are panicky at the back when pressed as we've seen over the last 2 games and still try to play out if they can. As soon they went long they invariably conceded possesion.

Offhegoes

Robins clearly had his mind on the 2nd leg, and probably thinks we can win the tie that way. Instruction was not to lose yesterday which we achieved. If the away leg was always going to be tough he would of sent us out to win the game yesterday.

ccfcricoh

still think the winner of this semi gets promoted - 2 decent defences and dangerous going forwards.

Would like to see Allen in for Godden and we've got to hope Hamer is fit - keep it tight and sneak a 1.0

Skybluecol

Sheaf and Allen to come in for Eccles and Godden.
They're a type of side which would suit Sheaf to play against....Gyok needs to do more off the ball work too for us (he does so much already but he needs his A game on Wednesday)
2-2 draw AET
Penalties...have not got a clue

KenilworthSkyBlue

Robins clearly had his mind on the 2nd leg, and probably thinks we can win the tie that way. Instruction was not to lose yesterday which we achieved. If the away leg was always going to be tough he would of sent us out to win the game yesterday.

I think it was more than he was hesitant about going head to head with Middlesbrough given how lethal they are in attack.

Illogical to infer that he wanted this result when Middlesbrough have only lost three times at home all season.

Reactions: AOM

SeaSeeEffCee

Didn’t we play Middlesbrough away midweek, on bh Monday? 1-1 also
Yes, but with over a week’s break since the previous came. This is purely games where we played away on the Tuesday or Wednesday after playing at the weekend too.

(Although actually saying that I don’t believe we played a game before Luton as it was one of our postponed games)

Users who are viewing this thread