Match Thread Middlesbrough vs Coventry City Play off Semi final 2nd leg Match Thread - Wednesday 17th May (3 Viewers)

napolimp

I think that might cause us issues on Wednesday, especially in the second half.

With players coming back into the fold from injury, Middlesbrough will have a stronger bench in the next game with scope to do a lot more if it's all evens or they're behind.

3 games in the space of 9 days is a lot to cope with when you have a small squad. Especially when we've made a grand total of two substitutions in the past two games - both of those being Eccles.

Agree with this. I'm quite worried about fatigue and mistakes creeping in, Boro can clearly punish team when given the opportunity.

TomRad85

i'd think even if we go a goal down in the first half we'll remain tight until the last 15, don't want to open up and have it taken away from us. Stay solid and try and batter their goal towards the end.

Londonccfcfan

Still thinking this is going to pens. Nothing I’ve seen last two games changes my mind on that. The two styles and managers are interesting and cancel each other out well. If it’s won it’ll be by the odd but of brilliance/mistake I think.

1-1 AET Boro through on pens 5-3

Wilson
McNally Fadz Doyle
BNC Kelly Sheaf Bidwell
Hamer Allen
Gyokeres

S: Moore, Panzo, Dabo, JWE, Eccles, Godden, Maguire/Walker/Palmer

Spot on .

The other improvement I forgot to mention in 2nd half was how one of McNally and or Doyle went forward. This is imperative as it created space for everyone.

A bit left wing but I'd like to see Panzo in for Mcfadz for this very purpose. Until crooks comes on.

Robinshio

read anywhere in their media, they are planning Wembley - I think they are assuming they have only got to turn up
it will certainly be interesting

Robinshio

Spot on .

The other improvement I forgot to mention in 2nd half was how one of McNally and or Doyle went forward. This is imperative as it created space for everyone.

A bit left wing but I'd like to see Panzo in for Mcfadz for this very purpose. Until crooks comes on.
i would hold panzo back for the last 20 , same with Wilson Esbrand,
Also would be good for extra time the additional energy if needed

Brighton Sky Blue

read anywhere in their media, they are planning Wembley - I think they are assuming they have only got to turn up
it will certainly be interesting

If I were Carrick I wouldn’t be that complacent but I also wouldn’t be too concerned. We showed very little ambition yesterday while he will have home advantage and a few players coming back.

Same gameplan for them and just wait for the error.

KenilworthSkyBlue

If I were Carrick I wouldn’t be that complacent but I also wouldn’t be too concerned. We showed very little ambition yesterday while he will have home advantage and a few players coming back.

Agreed. To not have one shot on goal all game is diabolical frankly and hasn't really been touched upon enough.

When factoring in that Middlesbrough are far superior at home, key players are coming back into the side for them and the fact that I suspect fatigue will probably cause us issues at some point in the game I really can't see us winning.

Brighton Sky Blue

Agreed. To not have one shot on goal all game is diabolical frankly and hasn't really been touched upon enough.

When factoring in that Middlesbrough are far superior at home, key players are coming back into the side for them and the fact that I suspect fatigue will probably cause us issues at some point in the game I really can't see us winning.

More than once they would have the ball in their half, the player with it just standing still for a good 10-20 seconds or so while our players were static and just watching him.

If that is really what Robins wanted from his team then OK, but it was a really passive display.

TomRad85

Once it kicks off they'll be bricking it just as much as anyone in our camp, especially the longer it stays at 0-0.

Mucca Mad Boys

I think that might cause us issues on Wednesday, especially in the second half.

With players coming back into the fold from injury, Middlesbrough will have a stronger bench in the next game with scope to do a lot more if it's all evens or they're behind.

3 games in the space of 9 days is a lot to cope with when you have a small squad. Especially when we've made a grand total of two substitutions in the past two games - both of those being Eccles.

Our bench lacks depth and quality that Robins doesn’t really have many options to choose from. When people bemoan MR for not making changes, it does grate me a bit. Even Boro only made 2 changes themselves.

I thought we looked tired on Sunday and perhaps we’ve ran out of steam. I’m remaining optimistic that we were being pragmatic.

Recovery is key going into Wednesday as we need a Herculean effort from the team!

Brighton Sky Blue

Once it kicks off they'll be bricking it just as much as anyone in our camp, especially the longer it stays at 0-0.

Doubt it to be quite honest, I also doubt there’s many nerves on our side either, there seems to be an acceptance for the most part on either side that we aren’t winning this.

KenilworthSkyBlue

More than once they would have the ball in their half, the player with it just standing still for a good 10-20 seconds or so while our players were static and just watching him.

If that is really what Robins wanted from his team then OK, but it was a really passive display.

Yeah. Their two midfielders Mowatt and Hackney were slow on the ball and would often play languid passes to either each other or another Middlesbrough player and we'd just not bother closing down .

We looked sacred throughout the entire game.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Our bench lacks depth and quality that Robins doesn’t really have many options to choose from. When people bemoan MR for not making changes, it does grate me a bit. Even Boro only made 2 changes themselves.

I thought we looked tired on Sunday and perhaps we’ve ran out of steam. I’m remaining optimistic that we were being pragmatic.

Recovery is key going into Wednesday as we need a Herculean effort from the team!

I don't really berate Robins too much for that either as obviously the quality of our bench is severely lacking.

That being said, whatever way you look at it the lack of substitutions is certainly going to be felt by the players on Wednesday. As you say I also think we looked tired yesterday which doesn't particularly bode well when they're pulling their shirts on again in two days time.

Mucca Mad Boys

Middlesborough didn’t look great in either of our games. Yes, they had plenty of possession and ‘threat’ but not many chances. The Akprom chance that Wilson save was the one time in 180m they carved us up. Whilst Boro were probably happy to see out draws in both games, it’s also fair to say we did well to keep them quiet.

To sum up a neutral’s opinion on the game, ‘neither side looks like they deserved to be in the playoffs’.

SeaSeeEffCee

Yeah. Their two midfielders Mowatt and Hackney were slow on the ball and would often play languid passes to either each other or another Middlesbrough player and we'd just not bother closing down .

It reminded me a bit of watching an FA Cup tie where a Premier League side are away at a League One side.

Not quality wise, just in the approach to the game.

Brighton Sky Blue

It was anathema to the style that’s worked for us this season. My overriding thought during and after was that we didn’t believe we could win. And if we’re like that at home with a full Boddy crowd, away we could well just get tanked.

Brighton Sky Blue

Middlesborough didn’t look great in either of our games. Yes, they had plenty of possession and ‘threat’ but not many chances. The Akprom chance that Wilson save was the one time in 180m they carved us up. Whilst Boro were probably happy to see out draws in both games, it’s also fair to say we did well to keep them quiet.

To sum up a neutral’s opinion on the game, ‘neither side looks like they deserved to be in the playoffs’.

Akpom also had a free header he kindly put wide.

Otis

i'd think even if we go a goal down in the first half we'll remain tight until the last 15, don't want to open up and have it taken away from us. Stay solid and try and batter their goal towards the end.
Yup and we always have Wilson as a threat from set pieces too don't we.

David O'Day

Boro can hurt you if you make a mistake but as has been said they are very slow and ponderous. Was Ramsey the one player of theirs that could really inject a bit of spark regularly?

If you listen to the none moron boro fans they have been like this a while now.

They will need to step on to us more and that allow us to break quickly.

They ain't great, they finished a dew points and 1 place above us.

All to play for

Speedie's Head

To the Godden knockers we need to remember that it was his worldie a few weeks ago that put us in playoff contention in the first place. He's played in a few games where Robins would probably have preferred a box midfield because we haven't had the players. It is quite possible that Allen might be needed in a more defensive midfield role if Eccles and/or Hamer/Sheaf don't make it. Unfortunately that is the way it is with a small squad. Boro showed us yesterday what depth on the bench can do, whereas we could only muster one enforced sub.. With Godden on the pitch we need to be getting balls in to him - as Sky pointed out yesterday, with our deep m/f, passes have to be inch perfect (which of course they rarely can be) if they are going to trouble defenders. Haaland would have been in exactly the same position. We need to be getting the ball wide and making good use of it. Bidwell isn't brilliant but he has defensive qualities, Cuffy on the other hand just doesn't look like creating a goal at the moment.

TomRad85

That’s how it seemed yesterday.
I don't really see how tbh, it was a dull as fuck game as a one off but we're decent away from home and like to hit on the break anyway. Struggling to see how this is all over at 0-0, especially as Boro seem to struggle with breaking us down.

Users who are viewing this thread