Match Thread Middlesbrough vs Coventry City Play off Semi final 2nd leg Match Thread - Wednesday 17th May (3 Viewers)

harvey098

Well done Coventry - I thought you where outstanding last night and deserved to go through.

The tactical changes really gave you the upper hand in midfield. I have mentioned a couple of times that without Howson we lack the pace, urgency and some of the risk taking that has worked so well for us since Christmas. You saw a lot more of the ball and our defence looked shaky from the start, poor passing out from the back matched by your much higher press.

I thought Viktor was fantastic second half and as someone has mentioned the McNair yellow card really changed that battle. In truth i don't think we would have scored if we played another 180 minutes.

I have tried to find excuses but the better team outplayed us, the better manager on the night won the the tactical battle so its easier to just admit the better team over the two legs won.

I don't think anyone would have predicted a Coventry and Luton final - amazing considering where both teams have been in the past 10 years!!

I really hope you guys do it 1) it would be a little comfort losing to the eventual winners. 2) You play some good football and much easier on the eye than Luton and 3) Coventry where a Premier League team in my youth and you annoy Sunderland fans.

I am absolutely gutted. It seems our poor end of season form was in fact poor form and not down to players being rested or taking their foot off the gas, momentum certainly came through this time.
This is a nice message thank you. I don’t think if the shoe was on the other foot I would’ve been able to send a message like this after the amount of cynical fouls and time wasting we committed last night but that’s all part of the modern game and it worked.

I could only watch it on TV and it certainly appeared that the Boro fans were in good voice. Decent club, hope you’re challenging again next year.

harvey098

I don’t think I can add anything different to what’s already been said on here but what an unbelievable feeling this is. Scenes at the end were amazing (very jealous of the 2K!). We played so fucking well, even the dark arts towards the end. I’m just so happy and still can’t get my head round the fact that we’re literally a win away from the premier league. The fucking premier league.

djr8369

Well done Coventry - I thought you where outstanding last night and deserved to go through.

The tactical changes really gave you the upper hand in midfield. I have mentioned a couple of times that without Howson we lack the pace, urgency and some of the risk taking that has worked so well for us since Christmas. You saw a lot more of the ball and our defence looked shaky from the start, poor passing out from the back matched by your much higher press.

I thought Viktor was fantastic second half and as someone has mentioned the McNair yellow card really changed that battle. In truth i don't think we would have scored if we played another 180 minutes.

I have tried to find excuses but the better team outplayed us, the better manager on the night won the the tactical battle so its easier to just admit the better team over the two legs won.

I don't think anyone would have predicted a Coventry and Luton final - amazing considering where both teams have been in the past 10 years!!

I really hope you guys do it 1) it would be a little comfort losing to the eventual winners. 2) You play some good football and much easier on the eye than Luton and 3) Coventry where a Premier League team in my youth and you annoy Sunderland fans.

I am absolutely gutted. It seems our poor end of season form was in fact poor form and not down to players being rested or taking their foot off the gas, momentum certainly came through this time.
Best of luck next season. Good squad and good young manager so I think you’ll be thereabouts again next year. It was a great tactical game!

djr8369

Not been able to read through the thread and sure I’m adding anything new but what a professional tactical performance that was last night.

Hope everyone enjoyed it. We deserve some glory after the last 20 years!

Northants Sky Blue

Lost my old man in April and he was at Wembley 87 and Villa Park 2001. Had to jump around the front room on my own.
Lost my Dad to Covid a few weeks before the Rotherham game & thought at the time at least he got to see us back in the Champ.

The emotions were high then and last night was the same - the first bloke I'd ring would be the old man. Condolences mate

Happy_Martian

The PL elitist crap that is spewing onto the BBC Have Your Say comments section about the game is phenomenal. Almost every team that gets promoted to the PL has to rebuild as it's a completely new challenge. So whoever wins the final will be seeing more than a few new players.

"That’s 20th place sorted in the PL next season."
"It’s a sad indictment on the disparity of English football, but whichever of these teams go up doesn’t make no odds. They’ll get leathered every Saturday next year and relegated with Sheff Utd next May."
"If that is the standard of football that will be progressing to the premier league, then I'm sorry, it will be short lived."
"None of the current PL clubs will be losing any sleep at the prospect of facing Luton or Coventry next season."
"Isnt it a shame that the two route 1 long ball teams have got to the play off finals..." - suggests a Mackem fan can type.
"COVENTRY, LUTON, SHEFFIELD UNITED!!! Hopefully the FA do us all a favour and reduce the Prem to 18 teams next season." - this one from a Wolves fan. #facepalm
"Let's be honest, genuinely without being disrespectful - Whichever one of these that goes up are going to get absolutely battered in the Premier League."

Evo1883

The PL elitist crap that is spewing onto the BBC Have Your Say comments section about the game is phenomenal. Almost every team that gets promoted to the PL has to rebuild as it's a completely new challenge. So whoever wins the final will be seeing more than a few new players.

"It’s a sad indictment on the disparity of English football, but whichever of these teams go up doesn’t make no odds. They’ll get leathered every Saturday next year and relegated with Sheff Utd next May."
"If that is the standard of football that will be progressing to the premier league, then I'm sorry, it will be short lived."
"None of the current PL clubs will be losing any sleep at the prospect of facing Luton or Coventry next season."
"Isnt it a shame that the two route 1 long ball teams have got to the play off finals..." - suggests a Mackem fan can type.
"COVENTRY, LUTON, SHEFFIELD UNITED!!! Hopefully the FA do us all a favour and reduce the Prem to 18 teams next season." - this one from a Wolves fan. #facepalm
"Let's be honest, genuinely without being disrespectful - Whichever one of these that goes up are going to get absolutely battered in the Premier League."
Ah yes because Norwich and Watford again would have made it so much more unique ..

RoboCCFC90

Removed all distractions last night, just so I could watch the game and take it in.

Great game from our perspective, we had the chances for it to be 3-0, we looked fairly comfortable dealing with Boro and while they had a few good chances I never felt they would take them in.

Had about five heart attacks during the game itself, but credit to MR, he set up the most effective way and Vik was an absolute beast all night. Great performance from BNC as well, although Giles was very good BNC kept at it, second half he was brilliant until he came off. Hamer was also superb.

Gutted I can't make it to Wembley, but being a Premier League club next season would make up for that 🤩

CovInEssex

Lost my Dad to Covid a few weeks before the Rotherham game & thought at the time at least he got to see us back in the Champ.

The emotions were high then and last night was the same - the first bloke I'd ring would be the old man. Condolences mate

It was all very sudden. He was coming with me to the Birmingham game but died the week before. CCFC was our most talked about subject. It makes me sad he won't see these times. Sorry I'm just having a minute.

kg82

To be fair, we might get battered every week if we go up, it’s not really the point though. The point is we’d have earned the right to be there. Same with Luton. Stupid comments like those (most of whom are probably in their teens) aren’t really worth listening to.

hill83

Season 5 Idk GIF by Paramount+

Torquay Sky Blue

Oh yes and Wolves have really lit the premier league up haven't they. Short memories

djr8369

Blimey

djr8369

It was all very sudden. He was coming with me to the Birmingham game but died the week before. CCFC was our most talked about subject. It makes me sad he won't see these times. Sorry I'm just having a minute.
Football creates a lot of cherished family memories. My condolences.

fernandopartridge

There is a good chance that all 3 of last year's promoted teams will stay up. They over estimate the gap between the bottom half of the Prem and top half of this league.

Great_Expectations

Not much to add; what an incredible feeling and such an achievement.

We’re a long long way from that L1 relegation season and the likes of Andre Wright!

Anyone else over excited for the ‘City Unseen’ later today?!

Users who are viewing this thread