Match Thread Norwich City - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 3rd Feb (4 Viewers)

PVA

Tbf to Wright, while people are busy picking him apart for this miss (not you just in general) how many of our players make a run like that to get into that position in the first place?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Absolutely, he did great to make the chance. But he has to bury it really.

Nuskyblue

Funnily enough he was getting slaughtered by their fans (and from further afield) after he first joined them as well
To be fair he was gash in his first season, was the Prem tho in a Norwich team destined for relegation (bigish fee too I think) he was poor based on that. I dare say two seasons at this level has improved him no end, think he’d do a job at the top level now given the chance.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Huckerby is absolutely berating Simms on social media

Appreciate what he did as a player for us but the ensuing pile on he has encouraged has helped nobody and is ever so slightly classless in my opinion - you made your point mate leave it be now

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration.

I just had a look and all he's really said was that he expected more and he was a bit dissapointed with Simms. He also said he had big shoes to fill, but that Palmer looked more lively when he came on. It's hard to argue with most of that.

He scored a tap in last week and he had an army of people (who have since disappeared again) trying to exaggerate both his contribution and the comments that have been said against him.

He's just not been very good. Whilst I agree the system probably hasn't been overly helpful, he's so far been a dissapointing signing. The striker position at the moment is a weak spot for us. Not to say that won't change.

Mucca Mad Boys

Absolutely, he did great to make the chance. But he has to bury it really.

Yes, it was a chance he should’ve buried. Two things:
1) We need to be creating more chances
2) Our defence needs to tighten up - we’re leaking goals atm

There were games last season where Gyokeres would miss two or three 1-on-1s but then score a goal. Reading and Birmingham towards the end of the season he must’ve missed 5-7 clear cut chances and we ended up winning both games. Simms and Wright haven’t had games like that, they’ve had 1 or 2 (if we’re lucky) big chances in a game.

skyblue025

Yes, it was a chance he should’ve buried. Two things:
1) We need to be creating more chances
2) Our defence needs to tighten up - we’re leaking goals atm

There were games last season where Gyokeres would miss two or three 1-on-1s but then score a goal. Reading and Birmingham towards the end of the season he must’ve missed 5-7 clear cut chances and we ended up winning both games. Simms and Wright haven’t had games like that, they’ve had 1 or 2 (if we’re lucky) big chances in a game.
This. We don't create many good chances for our central striker. Unless they create their own chances they might get 1 half chance a game of one from a defensive/keeper error.

Boicey

The main trouble with Simms and Wright is that although they clearly care, we rarely see any real aggression or determination around the box and they more often than not lose any one to one battles when it matters.
Can MR change them to win those one to ones? Can he get them to be determined to make an impact - even if only as a sub coming on after 60 mins against tiring weak Championship sides??

Old Warwickshire lad

We need a goalkeeper for next season. How many one on ones do our keepers save ?
9 times out of 10 if they are through they score, with us it’s 1 out of 10 . Can’t all be down to our strikers.
And a keeper who can command his 6 yard box would be great. 😉

Matt smith

Haji wright was playing really well prior to his injury.

simms is the one from me, in my opinion the only signing you can say has been a genuinely poor one so far. He’s gonna be on a fair bob and needs to start scoring goals, it’s simple as

We have to sign a number 9, probably from abroad as otherwise to get what we need most of the budget will be blown

TomRad85

Haji wright was playing really well prior to his injury.

simms is the one from me, in my opinion the only signing you can say has been a genuinely poor one so far. He’s gonna be on a fair bob and needs to start scoring goals, it’s simple as
He could probably be moved on at a loss but I'd rather we got it out of him.

Matt smith

He could probably be moved on at a loss but I'd rather we got it out of him.

Don’t think that’ll happen mate. Second season is the one where he really has to start doing it.

In terms of first 11 signings we need a ST CAM and LB.

squad signings cb, cm, rw

Mucca Mad Boys

This. We don't create many good chances for our central striker. Unless they create their own chances they might get 1 half chance a game of one from a defensive/keeper error.

Godden's goals drying up is telling. He is a player who has always had a strong conversion rate so when he's not scoring, it's generally because he's had a low volume of chances.

The main trouble with Simms and Wright is that although they clearly care, we rarely see any real aggression or determination around the box and they more often than not lose any one to one battles when it matters.
Can MR change them to win those one to ones? Can he get them to be determined to make an impact - even if only as a sub coming on after 60 mins against tiring weak Championship sides??

Do you think the crossing and passing in the box has been good enough? Even Gyokeres scored 1 (maybe 2?) headers - we never have been a team creating chances like that.

Godden is a player who’s movement in the box is good yet he hasn’t scored in 12 league games, why?

A little insight as to why this is a problem is in the lack of assists for our midfielders and fullbacks:
- COH - 1 assist
- Sakamoto, 2
- Sheaf, 2
- Eccles, 4 (set piece taker)
- Allen, 3
- MVE, 2
- Bidwell, 1
- Palmer, 2

Our top assister is Hadji Wright and Ellis Simms has 2 assists. Which to me, is a problem because our creative players aren’t putting chances on a plate for Wright, Simms or Godden.

Cally Fedora

I think we’ll hang on to Simms. Godden will go and due to that we’ll naturally need a new 9. That’s a key signing and the two will compete. Then it will just be a replacement for O’Hare. Due to us signing permanent players we’re now in the happy place of tinkering and finessing rather than rebuilding.

shmmeee

I don’t think Robins thought he would be playing the current formation at the start of the season and that’s impacted the way we’ve recruited our strikers.

I do. He was talking about wanting a left forward to give him formation options in the summer.

Grendel

Although Palmer’s was straight at the keeper, I still think Gunn reacted very well. Wright I’m very disappointed with.

The keeper couldn’t have got out the way of palmers shot

The Nearly Man strikes again

Grendel

Brighton Sky Blue

Robins asking if Wagners tactic was to kick the shit out of Tats, of course it was. Wagner wanted them to keep Tats and Cal calmed down, the dirty fuckers should have been down to 10 before we were.
I hate these cunts.
It wasn’t very subtle. Need our players to be sticking up for Saka in those situations

Hertsccfc

Amazing people criticising Palmer. He was very lively when he came on and their keeper made a good save from him. He did far more in his short period on the pitch than many players who started. I would say he was one of the top performers yesterday and I hope he starts in Tuesday.

It is really quite ridiculous how much he is picked on by certain elements.

alexccfc99

I just had a look and all he's really said was that he expected more and he was a bit dissapointed with Simms. He also said he had big shoes to fill, but that Palmer looked more lively when he came on. It's hard to argue with most of that.

He scored a tap in last week and he had an army of people (who have since disappeared again) trying to exaggerate both his contribution and the comments that have been said against him.

He's just not been very good. Whilst I agree the system probably hasn't been overly helpful, he's so far been a dissapointing signing. The striker position at the moment is a weak spot for us. Not to say that won't change.
A club icon slaughtering one our players helps no one - Say he was poor, yes - But 4 or 5 tweets digging him out is needless

He wouldn’t do that to a Norwich player

Legia Sky Blue

Godden's goals drying up is telling. He is a player who has always had a strong conversion rate so when he's not scoring, it's generally because he's had a low volume of chances.

Do you think the crossing and passing in the box has been good enough? Even Gyokeres scored 1 (maybe 2?) headers - we never have been a team creating chances like that.

Godden is a player who’s movement in the box is good yet he hasn’t scored in 12 league games, why?

A little insight as to why this is a problem is in the lack of assists for our midfielders and fullbacks:
- COH - 1 assist
- Sakamoto, 2
- Sheaf, 2
- Eccles, 4 (set piece taker)
- Allen, 3
- MVE, 2
- Bidwell, 1
- Palmer, 2

Our top assister is Hadji Wright and Ellis Simms has 2 assists. Which to me, is a problem because our creative players aren’t putting chances on a plate for Wright, Simms or Godden.

I haven't seen any recent stats, but to my memory Godden has missed quite a few chances this season that I'm sure he would have finished in previous seasons (including 2 penalties). While pace has never been his thing, he nevertheless also appears to have lost a yard in pace and seems very easily beaten to the ball this season. Wright has also fluffed quite a few one on ones that I remember, while Simms hasn't really got started.

The assists list you have put up would also look significantly different if our forwards had taken the chances they should have. I'm not having it that the fault lies with the likes of O'Hare, Saka & Sheaf.

Gint11

Yeah but a better striker

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

My heads gone! I thought the black haired fella who scored was Sargeant 😂 that Sainz looked a good threat. Now I know who Sargeant is 😂 I thought he did the ugly part of a striker well which is what we need from Simms at times.

Flying Fokker

Two really poor finishes from great positions, both far too close to the keeper. I'd put money on O'Hare and Sakamoto scoring the there.

3527f4d4eb230f2bcb526fdab4dbd320.jpg
614bd1a8a2f2a571ef3a4cf2f9251b5b.jpg

Top one. Keeper had it covered and he’d have shot wide if he’d placed it further right IMO.

Flying Fokker

Huckerby is absolutely berating Simms on social media

Appreciate what he did as a player for us but the ensuing pile on he has encouraged has helped nobody and is ever so slightly classless in my opinion - you made your point mate leave it be now

Plus he played for Norwich ….

Flying Fokker

Score goals, it doesn’t matter what contribution he makes as long as he does that.

fernandopartridge

Amazing people criticising Palmer. He was very lively when he came on and their keeper made a good save from him. He did far more in his short period on the pitch than many players who started. I would say he was one of the top performers yesterday and I hope he starts in Tuesday.

It is really quite ridiculous how much he is picked on by certain elements.
Because he ultimately delivered nothing

Users who are viewing this thread