Match Thread Norwich City - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 3rd Feb (1 Viewer)

Hertsccfc

Score goals, it doesn’t matter what contribution he makes as long as he does that.
I don't agree. It is a real problem that Simms doesn't do much aside from the goals. He doesn't hold onto the ball or challenge the defenders. He is pretty much like Godden in this respect and he doesn't score as many goals as Godden.

Old Warwickshire lad

Palmer and Thomas?

Kitching?

As much as I want our players to stick up for themselves, it’s about doing it in the right way and making decisions that don’t lead to an unnecessary sending off. Bobby Thomas did it yesterday after the second foul on Sakamoto, went and had a word without raising his hands etc.
Well you saw more than I did, you don’t do it in ones you do it in twos and threes so you don’t get booked. It’s called intimidation, something we need to learn.

stupot07

Because he ultimately delivered nothing

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
I've just had a look at all his league goals,

1 Vs Blackpool first goal we then went on to lose 2-1
1 Vs Norwich at 3-1 down to make it 3-2 lost 4-2
1 Vs huddlesfield, already 1-0 up, to make it 2-0
This season 3rd against Sunderland already 2-0 up to make it 3-0.

He doesn't even score big goals at key moments.

Offhegoes

Amazing people criticising Palmer. He was very lively when he came on and their keeper made a good save from him. He did far more in his short period on the pitch than many players who started. I would say he was one of the top performers yesterday and I hope he starts in Tuesday.

It is really quite ridiculous how much he is picked on by certain elements.
Agreed. He should have started, and the chance he had, he made himself and got it on target. Hardly a miss. Also the flack Simms is getting…He wasn’t great yesterday but Wright, Saka , MVE and Bidwell weren’t either. He led the line brilliantly at Leeds, and scored an equaliser midweek.

covcity4life

Amazing people criticising Palmer. He was very lively when he came on and their keeper made a good save from him. He did far more in his short period on the pitch than many players who started. I would say he was one of the top performers yesterday and I hope he starts in Tuesday.

It's a pattern mate

AiS86

Two really poor finishes from great positions, both far too close to the keeper. I'd put money on O'Hare and Sakamoto scoring the there.

3527f4d4eb230f2bcb526fdab4dbd320.jpg
614bd1a8a2f2a571ef3a4cf2f9251b5b.jpg

Two good reaction saves. Wright has pressure on both shoulders after creating the chance himself and has to get the shot away when he does. Low and just to the keepers side is sometimes harder for the keeper to deal with than a bit wider which they can get down to. Palmer's, the ball is going across his body from a quick passing move, the keeper is moving to his left to cover the near post, if Palmer puts it there, it's probably a save, he goes back across the goal, and it's a great reaction from Gunn. Both good attempts producing good saves.

usskyblue

Palmer coming on was the reason our 10 men looked more likely to score. He was by far the best player on the pitch at that point.

The still picture of his shot doesn’t show the whole picture. The keepers positioning was perfect, he covered the near post while being far enough off his line to also cover enough of the far post (defenders covered a shot to the far corner) Palmer placed the shot in the opposite direction of the keeper’s movement and Gunn had to make a reaction save.. which we’d be lording up if it were Collins.

The only issue for me with Palmer is his final ball, he needs to work on that.

PVA

It's the same people over and over again.

Apparently now playing well and being a threat but with poor final ball is worse than playing badly and having poor final ball.

I bet if you asked Norwich fans at full time they'd rather have faced any of Wright/Simms/Sakamoto for 90 minutes than Palmer.

And before anyone says, no I'm not saying he's better than those players.

Flying Fokker

[

Apparently now playing well and being a threat but with poor final ball is worse than playing badly and having poor final ball.

I bet if you asked Norwich fans at full time they'd rather have faced any of Wright/Simms/Sakamoto for 90 minutes than Palmer.

I’ve seen these comments from The Pinkun. Given that we are playing below par I think this is a positive:

Sakamoto a cry baby.

I thought that (Leeds apart) Coventry were easily the best team at FCR this season. They played positive, bright attacking football and it was only that lack of cutting edge that edged them out of what was a really entertaining match. Gunn made two blinding saves which denied them at least a point so from that point of view they can feel a bit hard done by. The sending off was a 100% cert though so he can have no complaints on that!

mmttww

Simms and Wright haven’t had games like that, they’ve had 1 or 2 (if we’re lucky) big chances in a game.

This. Really feel for Simms most games. He's where he should be and gets nothing played where he needs it. Needs to compete more for aerial crosses but otherwise, he's getting scraps.

Hertsccfc

Amazing the negative remarks on Palmer from certain sections but no comment in how poor Allen and Bidwell were. I am not saying they aren't decent players but they were poor yesterday.

I think most people would say Palmer was one of our best players yesterday for the period he was on, but some will always criticise him no matter what. Probably only Torp and O'Hare come out of that match with more credit than Palmer.

Mucca Mad Boys

I haven't seen any recent stats, but to my memory Godden has missed quite a few chances this season that I'm sure he would have finished in previous seasons (including 2 penalties). While pace has never been his thing, he nevertheless also appears to have lost a yard in pace and seems very easily beaten to the ball this season. Wright has also fluffed quite a few one on ones that I remember, while Simms hasn't really got started.

The assists list you have put up would also look significantly different if our forwards had taken the chances they should have. I'm not having it that the fault lies with the likes of O'Hare, Saka & Sheaf.

Penalties aside, I can’t think of a chance where Godden has missed that was gilt-edged. Same with Simms too.

Our creativity has come from our midfield and they’ve been very good at creating things for themselves - some of Sakamoto’s and COH have been brilliant individual efforts, for example.

So for me, the problem isn’t the strikers per se, it’s the lack of chances they generally have.

Mucca Mad Boys

Amazing the negative remarks on Palmer from certain sections but no comment in how poor Allen and Bidwell were. I am not saying they aren't decent players but they were poor yesterday.

I think most people would say Palmer was one of our best players yesterday for the period he was on, but some will always criticise him no matter what. Probably only Torp and O'Hare come out of that match with more credit than Palmer.

Missed chances are going to frustrate people. Palmer looked really good yesterday, until it came to the final pass or finish. Unfortunately for him, he won’t be starter until that improves. I hate to admit it, but @Grendel’s ‘nearly man’ label is not unfair.

As for Allen, he had a decent game, but his final ball was lacking too. His final ball to Palmer, ironically, was perfect. That was MR’s assessment too.

COH deserves the plaudits for a fantastic goal and Torp was very good defensively and on the ball - he just isn’t fully match fit to last 90m at this stage.

People have been saying Bidwell was poor so I don’t get that comment.

Nuskyblue

My heads gone! I thought the black haired fella who scored was Sargeant 😂 that Sainz looked a good threat. Now I know who Sargeant is 😂 I thought he did the ugly part of a striker well which is what we need from Simms at times.
Sainz can't half leather a ball. That wasn't even his best goal this week!

Tommo1993

Missed chances are going to frustrate people. Palmer looked really good yesterday, until it came to the final pass or finish. Unfortunately for him, he won’t be starter until that improves. I hate to admit it, but @Grendel’s ‘nearly man’ label is not unfair.

As for Allen, he had a decent game, but his final ball was lacking too. His final ball to Palmer, ironically, was perfect. That was MR’s assessment too.

COH deserves the plaudits for a fantastic goal and Torp was very good defensively and on the ball - he just isn’t fully match fit to last 90m at this stage.

People have been saying Bidwell was poor so I don’t get that comment.

Bidwell also guilty of fluffing some easy passes too. Looked very leggy on the recovery too.

Calista

Yeah it was a good save for Wrights too, but it was an easier chance than Palmer's and he really had to score it. Very bad miss.
Wright's effort reminded me of the one Harry Kane failed to score in the World Cup SF a few years ago. Not that I've ever brought myself to watch it again.
Slight difference in the stakes mind you.

junglej13

I've just had a look at all his league goals,

1 Vs Blackpool first goal we then went on to lose 2-1
1 Vs Norwich at 3-1 down to make it 3-2 lost 4-2
1 Vs huddlesfield, already 1-0 up, to make it 2-0
This season 3rd against Sunderland already 2-0 up to make it 3-0.

He doesn't even score big goals at key moments.

Exactly this. Compare this to Jamie Allen's contribution last season. It is night and day. Palmer is clearly twice as skilful and has far more ability. I'm sure he's the best player in training every day. Come match day his impact on the result of a game is absolutely nothing.

Don't really know what I would do with him if I was coach. If you watched one of our games you could be fooled into thinking he is out best player. For balance, I used to be very critical of O'Hare - his end product has improved unbelievably since his return from injury. Really hope Palmer can do the same.

Mucca Mad Boys

Exactly this. Compare this to Jamie Allen's contribution last season. It is night and day. Palmer is clearly twice as skilful and has far more ability. I'm sure he's the best player in training every day. Come match day his impact on the result of a game is absolutely nothing.

Don't really know what I would do with him if I was coach. If you watched one of our games you could be fooled into thinking he is out best player. For balance, I used to be very critical of O'Hare - his end product has improved unbelievably since his return from injury. Really hope Palmer can do the same.
Why don’t we compare Allen and Palmer on this season’s contributions?

PVA

I disagree, he's not rubbish and clearly has a lot of technical skill. That's what makes him so frustrating, he does one thing brilliantly and then next thing fluffs his lines.

With the way O'Hare, Sheaf, Hamer, Gyokeres improved under the coaching staff I'm confident/hopeful they can do the same with Palmer.

SkyBlue_Bear83

What is it that makes him rubbish ?
Doesn't score goals and doesn't assist goals for others and for most his time here struggled to play a full 90 minutes due to his fitness.

He would never be able to produce the goal he scored against Oxford in a big moment because he hasn't got the mentality for it.

His technique doesn't hold up when he's put under pressure, he's not a fantastic passer of the ball or striker of the ball for someone allegedly with so much skill.

He's basically similar to O'Hare when he had no end product but without the stamina or energy levels of O'Hare and more of a tendency to go missing in matches.

PVA

Doesn't score goals and doesn't assist goals for others and for most his time here struggled to play a full 90 minutes due to his fitness.

He has the most assists per 90 minutes of anyone in the squad this season (bar Torp and his very small sample size!).

And if you do it on goals and assists per 90 he's behind O'Hare, Wright and Sakamoto only.

Grendel

Hes hardly picked ok. He’s a highly paid player who over his whole career has failed to establish himself as a regular starter and that’s to him

SkyBlue_Bear83

He has the most assists per 90 minutes of anyone in the squad this season (bar Torp and his very small sample size!).

And if you do it on goals and assists per 90 he's behind O'Hare, Wright and Sakamoto only.
So he's second last out of our attacking midfielders and wingers? Only ahead of Allen

Users who are viewing this thread