Out of Contract Championship Players (2 Viewers)

Terry Gibson's perm

Will our financial restraints be any worse than others for the coming season, income will still be restricted for all clubs.

I can see the average wage being considerably lower next year and a lot shorter contracts throughout the league

Marty

Conor Hourihane will probably be available again, most likely out of our budget but a midfield containing James, Hamer, O'Hare and Hourihane isn't going to be far from the play offs.

Saddlebrains

There's loads of decent players on that list.

I laugh when people on here say 'yea journeyman, yea shit don't want them anywhere near'

Yet there's been almost unanimous agreement on here that 1 or 2 proven championship players have been the main thing we lacked this season.

Mind boggling

Legia Sky Blue

Only McFadz was in his 30s, Marosi was 25 when we brought him in, Godden and Kelly 28 I think.

You've misunderstood. I'm saying you can expect more of the same. McFadzean was an exception to the rule, and there is a chance one old hand might be brought in I guess, but generally the club will stick with its policy of buying younger, cheaper players. Given that our whole team should have benefited from this year's Championship experience, by definition the need to bring in Championship experienced players is much lessened anyhow.

procdoc

I laugh when people on here say 'yea journeyman, yea shit don't want them anywhere near'

Yet there's been almost unanimous agreement on here that 1 or 2 proven championship players have been the main thing we lacked this season.

Mind boggling
I agree, a lot of the players on that list would improve the squad.

Magwitch1

It’s a big chance to bridge the gap relatively cheaply, I think if we added two or three experienced quality players to our squad plus another striker we can become a decent top ten team and if we do that top six beckons

fernandopartridge

Mind boggling

Our biggest problem this season is lack of goals and that's mostly down to not having the two first choice strikers available at any one time. We have addressed pretty much our defensive problems to an extent bar the odd mistake and penalty concession.

We haven't looked like we're lacking in "proven Championship players" aside from maybe putting the ball in the net.

That said, would look at Nyland from Norwich (though imagine his wage demand would be too high).

SBAndy

That said, would look at Nyland from Norwich (though imagine his wage demand would be too high).

He’s 2nd choice there at best, having been released by Villa and being without a club until Jan. I’d genuinely be hopeful we could offer something worth considering.

Gibbo

We will need a few from the end of contract list, it is after all how we acquired the following (and I stand to be corrected),

Marosi, McFadz, Allen, Dabo, O'Hare, Pask, Rose, Kelly and Wilson*

It was noticable that last summer we got nobody that way, whereas the nucleus of the promotion side came from out of contract players. If we are getting OOC players, better they are from the Championship

The other source would be sell Hamer or O'Hare and buy top performing players in League 1.

* Someone, probably Grendel, will chip in now and say Wilson cost us a chip butty, or Dabo a dutch bagel, so doesn't strictly speaking count as a free, or similar.

edgy

Thinking of priority positions:

Yuri Riberio (LB) - 24, good experience pedigree and would add potential value.
Matt Penney (LB) - 23, not as much pedigree but had played championship football for a few seasons. Again would add potential value.
Emiliano Marcondes (AM) - 26, bit part player for Brentford, but still getting game time.
Britt Assombalonga (CF) - 28, probably too expensive but is a bit out of favour at Boro. Very experienced and would still be an improvement

Really no idea on what we can afford or what these types of players would demand.

Saddlebrains

For me Jon Toral and Jamie Paterson would be fantastic signings on a free.

If we could bin off our current attacking mid options of Kastaneer Jobello and Shipley and replace with them two, that would be some business.

Assombolonga would be a gret shout but think wages would be an issue, hence my earlier shout of Jaydon Stockley or James Collins

shmmeee

We will need a few from the end of contract list, it is after all how we acquired the following (and I stand to be corrected),

Marosi, McFadz, Allen, Dabo, O'Hare, Pask, Rose, Kelly and Wilson*

It was noticable that last summer we got nobody that way, whereas the nucleus of the promotion side came from out of contract players. If we are getting OOC players, better they are from the Championship

The other source would be sell Hamer or O'Hare and buy top performing players in League 1.

* Someone, probably Grendel, will chip in now and say Wilson cost us a chip butty, or Dabo a dutch bagel, so doesn't strictly speaking count as a free, or similar.

👋

Allen was an undisclosed fee.

Gibbo

Dacosta was free but we paid for Hilssner and Jobello

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Thanks

So as far as I can make out then, there are 29 players with a prospect of being in the squad for a match, the most marginal being Bapaga and Eccles. That includes Kasta, Mason and Drysdale who I appreciate are out on loan.

Of those 29 there are 10, including Jobello, who came as 'Out of contract' with their previous club - 34% (39% if you exclude the three loan outs). On that basis the list of Championship players out of contract should interest us a lot.

There must be a good experienced central defender and smart creative midfielder in that list somewhere.

shmmeee

Thanks

So as far as I can make out then, there are 29 players with a prospect of being in the squad for a match, the most marginal being Bapaga and Eccles. That includes Kasta, Mason and Drysdale who I appreciate are out on loan.

Of those 29 there are 10, including Jobello, who came as 'Out of contract' with their previous club - 34% (39% if you exclude the three loan outs). On that basis the list of Championship players out of contract should interest us a lot.

There must be a good experienced central defender and smart creative midfielder in that list somewhere.

The issue will be wages. Can we afford to bump the wage bill up enough to bring in Championshop experience used to a decent wage? One thing to Nick a couple of frees off third place in L1 (even if they were Ogogo and Brown), quite another to do it in this league.

Sky Blue Pete

The issue will be wages. Can we afford to bump the wage bill up enough to bring in Championshop experience used to a decent wage? One thing to Nick a couple of frees off third place in L1 (even if they were Ogogo and Brown), quite another to do it in this league.
Would love to know budget and the difference it would make selling 10000 season tickets for next season

Gibbo

a number of these, for all their previous wages, will have poor negotiating positions viz-a-viz a club wanting their services - mainly because of their age. So wages are a problem, but not insurmountable in many cases. The strikers will be expensive, but we should look elsewhere for a couple of those

no_loyalty

I would be okay with him we know he can play and if a freebie why not,

I would love us to sign Walsh, but if he is back playing Pearson might offer him a new deal, or has he already turned down their contract offer?

Users who are viewing this thread