Transfer Rumour Palmer to Norwich (2 Viewers)

Finham

I struggle to believe Robins has sanctioned an almost £2m signing on a player who doesn’t fit our system and will be “shoehorned” into either attacking midfield or a wingback. He’s clearly going to compete to start in one of those spots.
I didn't say he won't compete for AMC but he's certainly no natural there. He's patently a wide man and most of his game is taking men on and getting a cross in. He can do that a bit at AMC, but it's hardly "central" to the role (ho-ho). It's a puzzling signing to a degree, but it seems that we spotted a gem and thought "get him in and sort out what to do with him later". We might play wingers soon, who knows!

PS 1.5m is not "almost 2m".

Matt smith

I struggle to believe Robins has sanctioned an almost £2m signing on a player who doesn’t fit our system and will be “shoehorned” into either attacking midfield or a wingback. He’s clearly going to compete to start in one of those spots.
I don’t really get the sakamoto signing he doesn’t fit our system at all

BlueSkiesForever

I’m sorry but IMO Palmer is not worth anymore than £750k
He is too injury prone to be worth anymore than that. Has some nice touches but not a reliable player that’s gunna play 40 matches a season.
Over the last few years his career has been start stop, you can see there’s something there but it’s not firing all cylinders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s all personal opinion but I think Palmer is worth way more than £750K, I know there’s probably more to come from the likes of Simms and MVE etc but in terms of going forward Palmer was the only one trying to create anything in the last game. I realise his end product isn’t great but I felt that no one else in that game was making decent runs or trying to get into positions for him to lay the ball off so he almost had no choice but to take the shots on himself.
Maybe an estimation of £5 million is a bit high but seriously anything less than £3 mil would be an insult, when you think what you can get for £3 mil these days it isn’t much, especially someone who’s got proven experience in the championship and is a good personality to have around your club.

SBT

He’s so electrifying, I just hope he can start to add Goals and Assists to his game because that’s where Palmer has one over on him currently.
O’Hare made more assists in the league than Palmer last season, despite playing about 20 fewer games.

Ben Wilson has scored more goals than Palmer in the last six months.

Bad Boy

Get yourself up to Ryton and tell him to his face that he's signed a wrong un.

Clearly you know so much more than he and his staff will ever know.

Grendel

Rumoured by Grendel

It was reported at the time of the signing - palmers wages at Bristol and the contract arrangement arent a secret

Torquay Sky Blue

For the right price I'd sell him. Concentration issues resulting in bad distribution. There's a player in there, but I fear we'll always be saying that.
Strangely enough, my Bristol City mate said the same thing.

skybluecam

Get yourself up to Ryton and tell him to his face that he's signed a wrong un.

Clearly you know so much more than he and his staff will ever know.
Not what I was saying at all, I’m saying Robins will have a plan for him and since MVE looks like he’ll be our first choice at RWB that plan surely involves plenty of playing time in attacking midfield.

Bad Boy

Not what I was saying at all, I’m saying Robins will have a plan for him and since MVE looks like he’ll be our first choice at RWB that plan surely involves plenty of playing time in attacking midfield.
I get that but MR did say a few weeks ago there was to be no more round pegs in square holes.

I trust in what he's trying to do.

slowpoke

Robins is obviously re-building the first team squad top to bottom, as new ones come in established players could well be pushed out, I think Palmer could come into that category. I like him, his bursts forward with the ball get you on the edge of your seat, but the end product let’s be honest isn’t the best.
Wouldn’t be surprised if he moves on but it’s a little late in the day transfer window wise.
Will obviously depend who if any come in this week.
It’s another case of in Robins we trust.

The Philosopher

Didn’t Palmer cost Bristol £3.5m from Chelsea?

Every player has a price.

If Norwich bid £10m then he’s off. £1m maybe not.

Someone thought Palmer worth £3.5m not too long ago.

Just saying.

£2.5m plus McCallum would be good business.

(I know SM hasn’t set the world on fire at NCFC but he seems to do well here. Some players suit certain clubs; see Martyn Waghorn for details.)

covcity4life

Just saying.

(I know SM hasn’t set the world on fire at NCFC but he seems to do well here. Some players suit certain clubs; see Martyn Waghorn for details.)
My gut feeling would be any fee offered is similar to what we paid. Not anywhere near 10m for example.

Boicey

Robins has favourites. That includes Palmer and Godden and Allen.
They will be amongst his first picks when fit.
Palmer's going nowhere. And Sakamoto and/or Simms, Wright will be having a lot of bench time.

slowpoke

Just saying.

We can do better than McCallum was a good lad here, but Norwich haven’t been the best the last two seasons and McCallum has not exactly been pulling up trees there has had at leat two managers as well.

Sick Boy

This isn’t a loaded question but what percentage of games since he signed has Palmer played 90 mins in? Not only games he’s played in but the total games.

Last edited:

Esoterica

This isn’t a loser question but what percentage of games since he signed has Palmer played 90 mins in? Not only games he’s played in but the total games.
Someone with more time than me will work it out, but my guess would be around 10%. Something like 5 full 90s in 55ish games.

46 league games, 3 playoff games, 4 league games this season and a few cup games.

RegTheDonk

The Palmer story is almost certainly a plant by his agent to see if there is a chance of a move for him this week. Norwich denied any interest almost as quickly as the story came out. It could as easily be a ploy to get a pay rise as well.
I'm no doubt over reacting but this sort of thing annoys me. The Norwich reply says there is NO interest, so presume agent is BS rather than having some insider knowledge. But it don't end there ... there's still a potential knock on effect of uncertainty, destablisation, dressing room moans over wages, generating interest from other parties. Obviously goes on but I'd love one of these agents (or their sources) to have their arses sued by the club for creating a falsehood.

Matt smith

The Palmer story is almost certainly a plant by his agent to see if there is a chance of a move for him this week. Norwich denied any interest almost as quickly as the story came out. It could as easily be a ploy to get a pay rise as well.
He doesn’t deserve a pay rise

he’s hardly done enough to warrant one

Sick Boy

I'm no doubt over reacting but this sort of thing annoys me. The Norwich reply says there is NO interest, so presume agent is BS rather than having some insider knowledge. But it don't end there ... there's still a potential knock on effect of uncertainty, destablisation, dressing room moans over wages, generating interest from other parties. Obviously goes on but I'd love one of these agents (or their sources) to have their arses sued by the club for creating a falsehood.
Never going to happen because players would end up being majorly pissed off. It makes me laugh that people actually think players don't instruct their agents to do this kind of stuff and it's all down to the big bad agents.

iflynno

Someone with more time than me will work it out, but my guess would be around 10%. Something like 5 full 90s in 55ish games.

46 league games, 3 playoff games, 4 league games this season and a few cup games.
He played 90 mins 6 times last season in Champ and so far only Leicester this season. Made around 29 appearances in total in the league.

3 Goals and 2 Assists last season, most of which came within a week at the end of October.

covcity4life

Never going to happen because players would end up being majorly pissed off. It makes me laugh that people actually think players don't instruct their agents to do this kind of stuff and it's all down to the big bad agents.
Have zero proof Palmer has asked him to do it though. Dangerous game to just assume and have a go at him isn't it?

RegTheDonk

Yes absolutely get that mate, it's playing the game. Though if I was Norwich I'd consider taking Palmer to task via his agent IF there's nothing in it.

Cov98

I swear you lot watch a different game most weeks. 750k for Palmer? That's insane.. is he worth 15m like Gus? Obviously not but he's worth a couple of mill for sure.
Fitness wise I agree, he could be and probably needs to be better but since the start of the season he's looked way more like the player he needs to be. Like it or not, he's our most creative player at the minute with Gus gone and all of our injuries. Ayari looks good but you can tell he's still a bit raw and he's also not permanent, so no use selling Palmer and ending up with fuck all come January if Brighton want to recall him, although that would be unlikely.
Most of the good against Sunderland came through Palmer and I see a lot of Kasey "almost" Palmer inside here but he is probably one of the only players in the squad at the minute who's willing to try a forward ball or an outrageous pass. Eccles and Sheaf aren't going to be looking for the same passes and are definitely not going to drive forward like Palmer does.
Until O Hare comes back and (if) we get a Gus replacement in, he's going to be the main man in midfield most weeks because who else do we have other than Ayari?

Users who are viewing this thread