PLAYOFF DEBATE (1 Viewer)

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

I think we have left ourselves too much to do at this point but the fixtures are kind enough to hold some hope that we put enough of a run together. Either way its been a good season and id love us to be in contention when we play Birmingham as we could get a massive crowd for that.

Sky Blue Pete

Interesting we’re not there. Not a must win on Saturday but if we did win its a certainty with the fixtures that teams around us will lose points so interesting times

Kingokings204

My opinion as a realist is we won’t be close to the playoffs really. We are 9 unbeaten and still 3 points away. We won’t keep winning and staying unbeaten where as most of the other teams will keep winning due to being a better team and or better squads. We have to win 5 out the last 8 and maybe a draw or two also. Sorry for me it’s no chance. We have been punching above our weight and playing teams all in the bottom 3. Not all but we have played the bottom 3 now.

in no way am I having a go or defeatist it’s just the reality of the situation… with 9 unbeaten and 8 games left we literally need to lose 2 games in 17. The fact we are even in this conversation is a miracle to the team and mark robins but it’s a step too far. More than likely to finish around 12th again and anything top half is a miracle and I’m very proud of them.

Saddlebrains

Theres a lot of ifs and buts etc, but the 2 that rankle most with me are

Throwing away a 3 nil lead v Swansea with 20 minutes to go. Criminal that was and its looking like it will hurt us even more

Conceding to Wigan away. Huge moment of luck, the shot was going wide until it deflected off Fadz.

Them 4 points will be the main reason we dont make it i feel

Brighton Sky Blue

Throwing away a 3 nil lead v Swansea with 20 minutes to go. Criminal that was and its looking like it will hurt us even more

Conceding to Wigan away. Huge moment of luck, the shot was going wide until it deflected off Fadz.

Equally we’ve gained points in fortuitous situations ourselves. The deflection that got Hamer a goal against Wigan, Watford missing an open goal, last minute penalties against Rotherham/Sheff U/WBA etc.

It does all balance out

TomRad85

Nah honestly this is stuff all clubs point to, if we didn't do this that and the other we'd be higher. Basically if we were better we'd be higher... the one that actually rankles is Blackpool at home as we lost that due to 'other' circumstances. That's the one that may cost us and the expected 3 points there would have us in the play offs now.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

rob9872

You could so look to some huge slices of luck or where someone hit the bar or a pen not given like Blackpool last week. I genuinely believe you usually end up where you should be. Unfortunately for us I do think we'll just miss out but hopefully I'm wrong. In it until the last few games is still a terrific season.

rob9872

Equally we’ve gained points in fortuitous situations ourselves. The deflection that got Hamer a goal against Wigan, Watford missing an open goal, last minute penalties against Rotherham/Sheff U/WBA etc.

It does all balance out
Beat me to it!

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
I feel Saturday is huge as it’s the first post the international break, its sets the tone for the remaining games and also signals our continued intent and pressure on other teams around us or not depending on the result.

A team with improved form, taken points off others so wont be easy but if we are serious about trying to have the run that Forest did last year then we have to win.

We are conditioned to not seeing us on long unbeaten runs but nor were forest fans so we are right to play it down and say it won’t happen but it’s a sprint of a season now with us being one of the unbeaten in form teams coming up on those above us so let’s have that hope, let’s have a little bit of optimism and believe, at least until Saturday at 5

Last edited:

clint van damme

Every team who just misses out will have similar hard luck stories, but I agree, it's some of the draws that have killed us more than the defeats.

The other two drawn home games over christmas/new year hurt as well.

SkyBlueMatt

I thought it was over after Wigan and I was wrong, we're outsiders and I don't expect us to get there but I'm enjoying the ride.

Like many have mentioned Stoke is huge, coming back after the break against a team in great form. A two week rest will do our small squad a world of good, providing we can get straight back on it.

If everything goes our way, we could be in the top 6 on Saturday! Wouldn't that be crazy at this point of the season?

I think that would change the whole perspective. We've finished strong before, who knows?

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Offhegoes

As everyone knows, we are capable of beating all of the 8 teams left we have to play. It's about how Robins sets the mentality of the players. We should be beating Stoke at home, but being CCFC, we might lose that one and then smash Swansea and Watford, and be right back in it

Otis

We own the best player in the league so we have half a chance.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Yup, that's where I am. Half a chance. Would be very surprised indeed if we make the top 6.

I think Watford, West Brom and Norwich are all very strong sides and I expect them to be right in contention.

Millwall seem to be the only side in the top 6 who may fall out of the playoff places. I would expect one of the three sides just mentioned above to bag that slot.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Could also say last game in an alternate universe we could have seen Gyok and Hamer sent off (and therefore missing for a few games after as well) + had a penalty given against us and been 2-1 down.

Undoubtedly we've had some very shit decisions this season but we've had games we've got points out of we arguably shouldn't have as well.

rob9872

I think we need 9 points from the next 5. A win v Stoke takes the pressure off a tough run of games meaning 6 from 4 after. That gives us 66 with 3 to go and I think when needed with Reading and Blues on the beach we beat both. If all that happens 72 going into Middlesbrough and needing to get something which is where I see us failing.

Best scenario imo is Boro not automatics and comfortably 3rd so they rest players.

lord_garrincha

Part of me thinks the Stoke game is massive in general. We haven’t followed breaks well this season - if we start slow again, we won’t make it. We need to carry on the form we had pre international break
Look at it the other way. Stoke have had 2 great wins followed by 2 draws against decent teams.

Hopefully the break has taken the wind out of their sails?

steve cooper

I think we need 9 points from the next 5. A win v Stoke takes the pressure off a tough run of games meaning 6 from 4 after. That gives us 66 with 3 to go and I think when needed with Reading and Blues on the beach we beat both. If all that happens 72 going into Middlesbrough and needing to get something which is where I see us failing.

Best scenario imo is Boro not automatics and comfortably 3rd so they rest players.
I would be very happy with 72 points going into the Middlesboro game. A point from that might be enough, and the final game of the season always throws up unexpected results.

Sky Blue Pete

You’ll go mad thinking like that.
3 points gained from Hamer not getting a pen against him and a red card
Also yok staying on the pitch and not missing 3 games

Users who are viewing this thread