Poll (4 Viewers)

Should Robins remain as manager if we fail to finish top 7 this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Otis

But you said the top teams can't live with us? Been just as many days when the top teams have, so it's a moot point.

When was the last time it was our day?

I don't think we have played very well for some time now and both Swindon and Cambridge were not great performances and FGR and Accrington were both awful.
And bloody hell, Exeter was back in September!!

Londonccfcfan

Carlisle away, we should have won 4/5 nil. Thoroughly played them off the pitch 2nd half. Missed penalty too, and goal by Biamou disallowed.

Played superbly vs Stoke And Mk dons.

Played well vs Swindon and Cambridge recently , agree we rode our luck a little bit. But still can’t argue with 6 goals and a few them stunning goals. There were positives. Is winning 3-1 and not playing at our best. Can be taken as a positive.

Otis

Carlisle away, we should have won 4/5 nil. Thoroughly played them off the pitch 2nd half. Missed penalty too, and goal by Biamou disallowed.

Played superbly vs Stoke And Mk dons.

Played well vs Swindon and Cambridge recently , agree we rode our luck a little bit. But still can’t argue with 6 goals and a few them stunning goals. There were positives. Is winning 3-1 and not playing at our best. Can be taken as a positive.
I deliberately avoided the cup games as there have been many a team over the years that has struggled in the league, but have excelled in the cup.

Grendel

Sack him. Slade is available again. Not sure who we’re going to replace him with. We could gamble on a complete rookie, maybe promote from within or go for another journey man who will probably be no better qualified, get some new manager bounce at the start of next season, the usual suspects on here will be slapping each other on the back congratulating themselves on how right they are, before the demoralising poison chalice that is CCFC owned by SISU’s curse strikes again, post Xmas slump, same usual suspects who were only three months ago slapping each other on the back congratulating themselves on how right they were will then start calling for his head as they’ve failed to see the bigger issues and the saviour must fall on his sword, he gets sacked or leaves on his own accord, same usual suspects again start slapping each other on the back again, rinse and repeat with another relegation thrown in for good measures.

What could possibly go wrong?

You’ve voted to sack him in the poll Tony

SlowerThanPlatt

If we don’t go up this season, we’re in serious trouble IMO. Our better players in McNulty, Jones, Bayliss and Willis will be offloaded and the ST uptake could be as low as 3,000.

I can see it very much being like the Championship and L1 seasons where we just flirt with relegation before eventually falling down.

In Robins’ defence though, we’ve tried plenty of managers (even our chief scout!) and hundreds of players yet none of them have delivered a successful season on the pitch so I’m not sure what the answer is

D

Deleted member 2477

I think sky blue rufian is on a one man mission to sack Robins and start the manager merry go round again.
Some people are so fickle. You only appeared when we lose and you crawl back into the woodwork when we win.

You have to question why some so called fans support the club

steve82

The worry is that players like McNulty, Grimmer, Willis and McDonald will want to leave if we don't go up this season, it will be very hard to replace them

Sack the manager who brought them in and they will want to go anyway offers or no offers. We've more chance of the likes of McNulty staying and playing under MR than any other manager.

As for JJ I'd be sceptical if any bids that replicate his value come in this summer given the injury he's coming back from. He will be here till January at a minimum I'd guess proving his fitness and form

steve82

Robins did say himself though that we were the best team in this division.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

He did, I think that was more a injection of confidence in his team as opposed to Mark Venus style of killing there confidence

Otis

I can’t believe people want this guy sacked and it isn’t even end of the season yet. Mark Robins has been great for us. I will try and convince:

1. It’s a very very close league for a start and we are still in the races for autos and definitely the playoffs. Season is by no means over.

2. Our club is in turmoil and has been for a good few years now. We just had a relegation last year and 4 managers in that season.

3. He has been given a top 10 budget and we know I would say as a fact we haven’t got the best budget in the league and we haven’t got the worst. We are about par.

4. We’ve lost our two best players with major injuries by November. Jones and andreu. Just plain bad luck.

5. Robins for my opinion has always come across genuine and gave frank assessments and when it’s not good enough he has told us. He gives the fans no bullshit.

At least give him until the end of the season and re evaluate and give him a chance to still make the playoffs and autos. Plenty of games and points left. Robins isn’t beyond scrunity but give the guy a full season at it.
Errmm....the whole thread and poll is about what we should do at the end of the season if we don't make the top 7, so very first point and your summary aren't relevant.

We are giving him until the end of the season.

Kingokings204

Errmm....the whole thread and poll is about what we should do at the end of the season if we don't make the top 7, so very first point and your summary aren't relevant.

Doesn’t sound like it to me.

However fair enough and I’ve changed thread where hopefully it becomes relevant as you say.

Oh and I think he should stay if we fail for top 7. Seems more agree with me as it stands.

Last edited:

Paxman II

A few weeks ago we were third. It changes quickly. We will be in the playoffs at worst. Still think top 3 is to play for.
The usual pessimist are in force on here with all their doom and gloom.

Otis

A few weeks ago we were third. It changes quickly. We will be in the playoffs at worst. Still think top 3 is to play for.
The usual pessimist are in force on here with all their doom and gloom.
Some are for sure, Pax. The rest of us are just concerned and rightly so.

1. Our away form is poor.

2. Beaten easily in the last two games.

3. Not creating nearly enough chances in matches.

4. Key injuries, including the loss of our influential captain.

5. We are starting to drift away from the top 3.

Yeah, sure, could be just a blip, but there is a bit of a trend.

A positive result tomorrow will change all that and I agree, some of the thread titles are very much OTT on the doom and gloom front.

I am just in concerned mode at the moment, but we do need to get back on track very quickly and as I keep saying to people, for me the bar is higher. It's not about getting into the play-offs, it's about obtaining one of the automatic places.

Londonccfcfan

Simple yes or no, do you think we will make offs ?

Otis

Simple yes or no, do you think we will make offs ?
It's not simple though is it. Far from it. Still 15 games to go, of course we can make the playoffs. Why do you seek a yes or no now?

We have to see if this is just a wobble or not at the moment, or the start of something a bit more serious.

It's not a yes or no for me right now. Still too many games left.

Lose 3 or 4 in a row though and then I reckon I would be going for no for sure, because that would be a very clear trend.

Skyblueweeman

I wouldn't get rid of him if we don't make the Top 7. Will I be pee'd off that we wouldn't have made the play offs? Yes. Will I compare the slump from Feb onwards to that of TM? Yes.

But MR is the first manager we've had in years that has brought some positivity to the club in a number of areas since he's been in. Maybe bar the first couple of months of the Mowbray season where we had Armstrong, Murphy, Kent etc.

Robins has given us our 2nd ever trophy. By and large, since he's been in, we've not been a selling club in the transfer windows (bar those who have wanted to go - Stevenson, Maddison). He's changed the mentality of a squad reliant on loans to a squad merely supplemented by loans. He's brought in our best contracted front man in years.

Yes we've had two sh!te results. But two defeats doesn't suddenly make him Mark Slade, regardless of the performance. In the same ways that 2 or 3 wins on the bounce doesn't make him Mark Guardiola.

The sole reason I'd give him until at least the first few months of next season, is that I'd look forward to see how he'd set up an attacking team with both Jones and Andreu in the side. I'ev said it before and I'll say it again...genuinely feel we've struggled badly adapting to injuries to key players this season. I know the same can happen next season but he needs to be given the chance to put out his first choice 11 in more games next season. He's probably only been able to do that 1 or 2 times this season.

He seriously needs to look at our away form though and 1 if not 2 new keepers for next season. Within their clangers this season, we'd comfortably 2nd or 3rd right now.

NorthernWisdom

But two defeats doesn't suddenly make him Mark Slade
Mark_Slade_High_Chaparral_1968.JPG

??

Skyblueweeman

I did wonder if anyone would pick up on that NW. In hindsight, I probably should've stuck with Russell Slade and Pep Guardiola!

Ashdown

Who instigates this sort of shit, I'd sack Tim Fisher before anyone purely for the fact that he actually does nothing for the club at all !

NorthernWisdom

Who instigates this sort of shit, I'd sack Tim Fisher before anyone purely for the fact that he actually does nothing for the club at all !
This is the problem. Ultimately the buck doesn't even stop with him... it stops with the people above him!

And even if we assume Robins is a crock o'shite as a team manager, who's been appointing the past managers since Coleman, and which of them has worked out?!? Unless you believe in monkeys, typewriters, and Shakespeare, it's not overly likely they'd suddenly get it right, is it?

Londonccfcfan

Strange
It's not simple though is it. Far from it. Still 15 games to go, of course we can make the playoffs. Why do you seek a yes or no now?

We have to see if this is just a wobble or not at the moment, or the start of something a bit more serious.

It's not a yes or no for me right now. Still too many games left.

Lose 3 or 4 in a row though and then I reckon I would be going for no for sure, because that would be a very clear trend.

Strange...you dont know have an opinion if asked at this moment in time do you think we will make play offs.

Thats fine if you cant answer it.

My opinion is we will make play offs. And its not dependant on the results in next 3 very tough away games. They are must not lose games rather thsn must win.

We hang in there and get 3 away draws. From next 3 three away games. It will be a huge improvement and huge confidence boost. Which importantly would mean the teams above us dont leave us behind. And hopefully when Grimmer, Doyle, Burge, etc are back in March. We can make a charge with easier fixtures.

We need to hang in there in this month and grab what we can whilst this virus and injuries are biting.

Id rest the whole first team squad vs Brighton, to get them all rested and recharged properly.

Id play the like of JCH and Ponticelli etc vs Brighton.
Have alot more to gain than lose playing fringe players.

chiefdave

And even if we assume Robins is a crock o'shite as a team manager, who's been appointing the past managers since Coleman, and which of them has worked out?!?
Just had a look at various managers win %. It doesn't make good reading!

Robins 49.00
Slade 18.75
Mowbray 34.67
Pressley 32
Robins 51.52
Thorn 18.37
Boothroyd 30.77
Coleman 29.06
Dowie 40.82
Adams 33.33
Reid 32.26
Black 45.45
McAllister 27.63
Nilsson 44.19
Strachen 32.71
Atkinson 25.68
Neal 31.34
Gould 30.51
Butcher 33.33
Sillett 37.33

So Robins first spell is the most successful and his current spell 2nd. And whoever got shot of Nilsson and Dowie didn't do a good job with their replacements.

How on earth did Slade and Thorn both get jobs after their spells here?

NorthernWisdom

Robins 49.00
Slade 18.75
Mowbray 34.67
Pressley 32
Robins 51.52
Thorn 18.37
Boothroyd 30.77
Coleman 29.06
Dowie 40.82
Adams 33.33
Reid 32.26
Black 45.45
McAllister 27.63
Nilsson 44.19
Strachen 32.71
Atkinson 25.68
Neal 31.34
Gould 30.51
Butcher 33.33
Sillett 37.33

So Robins first spell is the most successful and his current spell 2nd. And whoever got shot of Nilsson and Dowie didn't do a good job with their replacements.

Frightening that Butcher is one of the more successful ones when it comes to the bare numbers!

Otis

Strange

Strange...you dont know have an opinion if asked at this moment in time do you think we will make play offs.

Thats fine if you cant answer it.

My opinion is we will make play offs. And its not dependant on the results in next 3 very tough away games. They are must not lose games rather thsn must win.

We hang in there and get 3 away draws. From next 3 three away games. It will be a huge improvement and huge confidence boost. Which importantly would mean the teams above us dont leave us behind. And hopefully when Grimmer, Doyle, Burge, etc are back in March. We can make a charge with easier fixtures.

We need to hang in there in this month and grab what we can whilst this virus and injuries are biting.

Id rest the whole first team squad vs Brighton, to get them all rested and recharged properly.

Id play the like of JCH and Ponticelli etc vs Brighton.
Have alot more to gain than lose playing fringe players.

Why is it strange? Don't get that at all. Why on earth is it strange when we still have 15 games to go? Very puzzled as to why you think I should commit now on the back of two very pitiful performances and defeats. It would be a knee jerk at best.

We could turn things around tomorrow and have only lost two in a row. I have merely said I am concerned this might be a trend and that our away form has been poor, but it would be daft for me to say whether we will make the playoffs as it stands right now. Right now we are 9th and have just had two dismal games in a row with hardly a chance being created. You then have to factor in the injuries too and when players are back and fit.

We carry on the way we are, then no, we obviously won't make the playoffs. We win tomorrow and get back on track in the next 2 games following, then we are back in with a good chance again.

Last edited:

Londonccfcfan

Why is it strange? Don't get that at all. Why on earth is it strange when we still have 15 games to go? Very puzzled as to why you think I should commit now on the back of two very pitiful performances and defeats. It would be a knee jerk at best.

We could turn things around tomorrow and have only lost two in a row. I have merely said I am concerned this might be a trend and that our away form has been poor, but it would be daft for me to say whether we will make the playoffs as it stands right now. Right now we are 9th and have just had two dismal games in a row with hardly a chance being created. You then have to factor in the injuries too and when players are back and fit.

We carry on the way we are, then no, we obviously won't make the playoffs. We win tomorrow and get back on track in the next 2 games following, then we are back in with a good chance again.
Dont get you knickers in a twist.

Just asking what your opinion is judging by what you seen so far. Nothing more or less.

We all have opinions. Gut feels, etc. Im forever an eternal optimist. So if we need to win last 5 out 7 games to get get in play offs. Id still think yes. Even if our form was very patchy.

skybluetony176

Robins 49.00
Slade 18.75
Mowbray 34.67
Pressley 32
Robins 51.52
Thorn 18.37
Boothroyd 30.77
Coleman 29.06
Dowie 40.82
Adams 33.33
Reid 32.26
Black 45.45
McAllister 27.63
Nilsson 44.19
Strachen 32.71
Atkinson 25.68
Neal 31.34
Gould 30.51
Butcher 33.33
Sillett 37.33

So basically our best manager for 27+ years needs sacking because he isn’t good enough, according to some. Maybe the problem is elsewhere and he happens to have just overcome that problem better than those before him. Even the managers who got backing from the owners during operation premiership couldn’t match his performance and there was no operation championship, although you could argue MR benefited from a team largely built for championship football in spell 1. However same can’t be said this time around. No operation league 1, a squad largely built from nothing due to the short termism that the club has been operating from and a squad that’s only been invested in by supporters.

Otis

Dont get you knickers in a twist.

Just asking what your opinion is judging by what you seen so far. Nothing more or less.

We all have opinions. Gut feels, etc. Im forever an eternal optimist. So if we need to win last 5 out 7 games to get get in play offs. Id still think yes. Even if our form was very patchy.
Not getting my knickers in a twist at all. Just sitting here rather puzzled and a little bit baffled rather than annoyed or in any way irritated. I am not a knickers in a twist person.

In this instance it's a puzzled scratch of my head stance.

We are just 2 points off the playoffs. Would be really silly to say now we won't make it. I haven't got a crystal ball looking into the future and we obviously cannot judge on just the past two matches.

Can we turn it round? Course we can. Will we turn it round? Ask me again in 4 or 5 matches.

Nowt at all strange about the stance I have and as I keep saying, for me it is all about the automatic places. If you were to ask me now will we go up through finishing in the top 3 I would have to say no.

Combination of being 6 points adrift and losses of players through injury.

Ashdown

This is the problem. Ultimately the buck doesn't even stop with him... it stops with the people above him!

And even if we assume Robins is a crock o'shite as a team manager, who's been appointing the past managers since Coleman, and which of them has worked out?!? Unless you believe in monkeys, typewriters, and Shakespeare, it's not overly likely they'd suddenly get it right, is it?
No it doesn't but what does he bring to the party..............he's a waste of whatever he's creaming out of it...........but it sure won't be nothing !

NorthernWisdom

No it doesn't but what does he bring to the party..............he's a waste of whatever he's creaming out of it...........but it sure won't be nothing !
We get deflected too easily. Ultimately the owners are responsible for the direction of a club, its culture, its ethos. Moving the chairs on the decks won't change things - we've seen that plenty enough times before.

CJ_covblaze

I mentioned this who actually knows in that 20 page thread about it .

The same for Wilson and was some time ago the same again for Sturridge. To many dreamers I am afraid and not in touch with reality

Fisher said we wouldn’t have broken even without the add ons for Wilson a couple of years ago. We turned a profit of around 700k so it must’ve been that amount despite him being injured. With regards to Maddison, Joy said we’ve made an investment in his whole career so it’s similar to the Sturridge deal. The sell clauses for both on are also pretty sizeable.

Otis

Fisher said we wouldn’t have broken even without the add ons for Wilson a couple of years ago. We turned a profit of around 700k so it must’ve been that amount despite him being injured. With regards to Maddison, Joy said we’ve made an investment in his whole career so it’s similar to the Sturridge deal. The sell clauses for both on are also pretty sizeable.
Well £50m coming our way would be nice. Then we can buy out Wasps.

Sky Blue Harry H

th
I believe !

Terry_dactyl

Robins 49.00
Slade 18.75
Mowbray 34.67
Pressley 32
Robins 51.52
Thorn 18.37
Boothroyd 30.77
Coleman 29.06
Dowie 40.82
Adams 33.33
Reid 32.26
Black 45.45
McAllister 27.63
Nilsson 44.19
Strachen 32.71
Atkinson 25.68
Neal 31.34
Gould 30.51
Butcher 33.33
Sillett 37.33

Where’s Eric black when we need him...

Users who are viewing this thread