Ponti (1 Viewer)

skybluegod

That's what the U23 coach was quoted as saying!
Natural finishing ability is something inherent, it's not related to the level you are playing at.
In my opinion, it's more mental than physical.

Andy Thorn said the same thing about Cody Mcdonald.... It means nothing...
Portsmouth Coaches have said similar things about Chaplin... people don't believe that.

Otis

Under 23's? 11th is today. Is that unbelievable scenes from the 12 supporters and a dog?

usskyblue

Footage..

giphy.gif

Otis

Everyone always has to go over the top these days.

'Unbelievable goal', yes, fine. 'Unbelievable scenes ' at an U23 match? I think not.

Macclesfield v Fleetwood so I would be surprised if there were any more than about a dozen there tops (plus maybe a dog or two)

Greggs

Everyone always has to go over the top these days.

'Unbelievable goal', yes, fine. 'Unbelievable scenes ' at an U23 match? I think not.

Macclesfield v Fleetwood so I would be surprised if there were any more than about a dozen there tops (plus maybe a dog or two)
so his finishing ability is judged by how many men and his dog are watching?

no_loyalty

I think he could show our strikers a thing or two, let's recall him and Beavon for the second half of the season.

Otis

so his finishing ability is judged by how many men and his dog are watching?
Don't have any problems with the unbelievable finish . Do have a problem with unbelievable scenes. Something unbelievable.

Unbelievable scenes is the crowd going wild, running on to pitch and everyone going crazy.

If you heard in the press or on TV them saying there were unbelievable scenes from a sports story and then them going to that story you would be expecting more than just a world class goal. You would be expecting ...... well, an unbelievable scene.

Nick

Administrator
Don't have any problems with the unbelievable finish . Do have a problem with unbelievable scenes. Something unbelievable.

Unbelievable scenes is the crowd going wild, running on to pitch and everyone going crazy.

If you heard in the press or on TV them saying there were unbelievable scenes from a sports story and then them going to that story you would be expecting more than just a world class goal. You would be expecting ...... well, an unbelievable scene.

Maybe it was unbelievable from the context of a Macclesfield Reserve Game?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I still think we'd have been better served at least having him on he bench. One thing we're struggling with is putting the ball in the net and it's what he does best. Reckon by the end of the season he'd be at the very least rotating with Chaplin.

Otis

Maybe it was unbelievable from the context of a Macclesfield Reserve Game?
Just annoys me a tad. We are in the realms of 150% effort and working 25/7 to improve our performances type nonsense.

steve82

Initially a little frustrated to see Maycock and Ponticelli both starting for a Macclesfield U23s game but when you think about it a new manager needs to see what he’s got in the squad. Ponticelli is getting up to speed again so have to understand that too.

Still they are developing as players/men in being away from comforts of academy football and home potentially too. That difference in environment is as key as developing their game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

I'm not writing the kid off by any stretch, and I hope he goes on to have a successful career, hopefully here but if not somewhere else, but I can't help but feel Ponticelli's standing is hugely inflated whenever there is a goal drought among our first team strikers. I would guess I'd have seen him play maybe 15 times and I'm yet to see what he really offers. I know everyone's gone on about his 'unbelievable finishing' etc but his all round play hasn't really shone through at all yet, nor has he really got himself in positions to show off this unbelievable finishing. It's all good saying 'We shouldn't have sent him out on loan', but up to this point, from what I have seen, I wouldn't be looking to him as the solution just yet.

Warwickhunt

Initially a little frustrated to see Maycock and Ponticelli both starting for a Macclesfield U23s game but when you think about it a new manager needs to see what he’s got in the squad. Ponticelli is getting up to speed again so have to understand that too.

Still they are developing as players/men in being away from comforts of academy football and home potentially too. That difference in environment is as key as developing their game.

He can play in our under 23s so what's the point if him being the?

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Exactly,

We sent Ponticelli out on loan to get first team football because playing in the under 23s will not improve his development.

So if he's not playing in their first team , bring him home and give him a chance with our first team or at least as an impact sub .

After all our strikers are not exactly in any form .

steve82

That was my first thought but then you look deeper into it it’s ok. A few points to consider...

He’s returning from a reasonable lay off so the match minutes he needs, it’s a level he’s comfortable at so that goal brings back the confidence too from his lay off
New gaffer wants to see what he’s got in the squad too and don’t have much time for flexibility and trialing different things with Macclesfield sat bottom but had picked up back to back wins prior to Saturdays loss. So Ponticelli and Maycock might of played themselves into contention for the 1st team.

If it’s still the same in a months time then question can be asked.

steve82

Exactly,

We sent Ponticelli out on loan to get first team football because playing in the under 23s will not improve his development.

So if he's not playing in their first team , bring him home and give him a chance with our first team or at least as an impact sub .

After all our strikers are not exactly in any form .

He has only just gone back after being injured tho? That’s a fair assumption in a months time if he’s not getting games or a marker for where he is in his development

fernandopartridge

I'm not writing the kid off by any stretch, and I hope he goes on to have a successful career, hopefully here but if not somewhere else, but I can't help but feel Ponticelli's standing is hugely inflated whenever there is a goal drought among our first team strikers. I would guess I'd have seen him play maybe 15 times and I'm yet to see what he really offers. I know everyone's gone on about his 'unbelievable finishing' etc but his all round play hasn't really shone through at all yet, nor has he really got himself in positions to show off this unbelievable finishing. It's all good saying 'We shouldn't have sent him out on loan', but up to this point, from what I have seen, I wouldn't be looking to him as the solution just yet.
Agreed, he's never looked anywhere near ready to me

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Agreed, he's never looked anywhere near ready to me
It doesn't help when the Manager Mark Robins plays his Strikers out of position, including Ponticelli.

I believe Ponticelli is a goal poacher ( like a Gary Lineker ) and should play in the penalty box and not out wide ect.

fernandopartridge

It doesn't help when the Manager Mark Robins plays his Strikers out of position, including Ponticelli.

I believe Ponticelli is a goal poacher ( like a Gary Lineker ) and should play in the penalty box and not out wide ect.
He's always been played up front but has run around like a headless chicken

mark82

He's always been played up front but has run around like a headless chicken

Not 100% true, he definitely played on the wing at times last season.

Also worth noting he's averaged a goal every 124 minutes for us. A goal every 1.3 games. That's pretty reasonable.

PVA

Never really thought he has looked ready yet, especially for league one, but it was an unbelievable goal to be fair.

fernandopartridge

Have to say I have never thought he was ever going to make it, however, Watch All The Goals From Our Central League Cup Victory Against Fleetwood Town that takes a certain amount of skill and confidence at any level.. not saying he is the long term answer but we are pretty much playing with 10 men with Chaplin up front anyway, I genuinely think if ponti has played the minuets Chaplin has he would of bagged a handful.
Ridiculous comment about the ten men

pastythegreat

Have to say I have never thought he was ever going to make it, however, Watch All The Goals From Our Central League Cup Victory Against Fleetwood Town that takes a certain amount of skill and confidence at any level.. not saying he is the long term answer but we are pretty much playing with 10 men with Chaplin up front anyway, I genuinely think if ponti has played the minuets Chaplin has he would of bagged a handful.
I don't even buy the "Ponticelli is young and inexperienced" argument.
People say we can't play him until he's older/more experienced, why not? We have a 20 year old inexperienced player we're not willing to play, but we're happy to spend £500k on a 21 year old inexperienced striker! What is the difference between the 2?

With his very limited game time last season he showed he knows where the goal is.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread