Ponti (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

I don't even buy the "Ponticelli is young and inexperienced" argument.
People say we can't play him until he's older/more experienced, why not? We have a 20 year old inexperienced player we're not willing to play, but we're happy to spend £500k on a 21 year old inexperienced striker! What is the difference between the 2?

With his very limited game time last season he showed he knows where the goal is.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Over 100 games is the difference. Jesus wept

pastythegreat

And still no goals!?!?! Jesus wept.
Ponticelli has scored the same amount of goals for us in less than half the game time. And guess what? He didn't cost us HALF A MILLION FUCKING QUID

*Disclaimer* this isn't me saying Ponticelli is the answer, its me saying he couldn't do any fucking worse than what we already have!

steve82

*Disclaimer* this isn't me saying Ponticelli is the answer, its me saying he couldn't do any fucking worse than what we already have!

All to easy to sit here now and look back and say it’s not working or go as far as to write him off, but if we’d of gone with Ponticelli minus the injury and experienced the same form with Chaplin thats not working to how many would like, confidence has gone how many would be shouting if we’d if signed Chaplin we’d be in the play offs and why didn’t we invest.

You can see why we scouted him and invested in him. While at Portsmouth he made 31 L1/L2 starts scoring 10 goals with 73 substitute appearances going on to score 12 goals at a ratio of 160 mins per goal in the league alone.

Not every striker signed for a fee comes good or instantly fit that.
He was a investment and still is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pastythegreat

All to easy to sit here now and look back and say it’s not working or go as far as to write him off, but if we’d of gone with Ponticelli minus the injury and experienced the same form with Chaplin thats not working to how many would like, confidence has gone how many would be shouting if we’d if signed Chaplin we’d be in the play offs and why didn’t we invest.

You can see why we scouted him and invested in him. While at Portsmouth he made 31 L1/L2 starts scoring 10 goals with 73 substitute appearances going on to score 12 goals at a ratio of 160 mins per goal in the league alone.

Not every striker signed for a fee comes good or instantly fit that.
He was a investment and still is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't disagree with any of this but I'm not talking rhetorical theories of if we had or hasn't signed anyone. I'm talking cold hard facts of right now. We have both strikers on our books. One isn't working, why not give the other a couple of games to show what he can do. It's not like he can score less goals than Chaplin.

steve82

I don't disagree with any of this but I'm not talking rhetorical theories of if we had or hasn't signed anyone. I'm talking cold hard facts of right now. We have both strikers on our books. One isn't working, why not give the other a couple of games to show what he can do. It's not like he can score less goals than Chaplin.

Cold hard fact now don’t calculate the fact he’s currently committed to a season long loan to Macclesfield Town, or at least till January.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Chaplin has 4 goals in 15 league games for us and is our top scorer... you make out like he's gone half a season without scoring like Biamou did last season. And yes, he can score less goals than that

fatso

Chaplin has 4 goals in 15 league games for us and is our top scorer... you make out like he's gone half a season without scoring like Biamou did last season. And yes, he can score less goals than that
Just playing devils advocate here, so bear with.
If you ignore chaplains penalty (the one he scored, not the one he blazed over the bar) and his free kick goal, he’s actually scored 2 goals from open play in 15 matches!
Now I feel reasonably confident that young Ponticelli would have contributed at least as many, and proberbly more if only he was given the opportunity.

Which brings me on to another point, Does MR put too much faith in his favourite players and therefore take too long to make changes that appear obvious to the fans, Such as persisting with Doyle when it looks like his form has dipped, persevering with Chaplin when he’s struggling in front of goal and sticking with Hiwula when he’s obviously not a left sided midfielder.
Just a thought, that’s all.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Just playing devils advocate here, so bear with.
If you ignore chaplains penalty (the one he scored, not the one he blazed over the bar) and his free kick goal, he’s actually scored 2 goals from open play in 15 matches!
Now I feel reasonably confident that young Ponticelli would have contributed at least as many, and proberbly more if only he was given the opportunity.

Which brings me on to another point, Does MR put too much faith in his favourite players and therefore take too long to make changes that appear obvious to the fans, Such as persisting with Doyle when it looks like his form has dipped, persevering with Chaplin when he’s struggling in front of goal and sticking with Hiwula when he’s obviously not a left sided midfielder.
Just a thought, that’s all.
I'd agree on the penalty, you're right. Don't think we can dismiss a free kick as not contributing towards his goal tally though surely? My honest belief is that it isn't Chaplin, it's more the system. It feels like the Sunderland miss (which was poor) has stacked up against him considerably more than is justified.

fatso

I'd agree on the penalty, you're right. Don't think we can dismiss a free kick as not contributing towards his goal tally though surely? My honest belief is that it isn't Chaplin, it's more the system. It feels like the Sunderland miss (which was poor) has stacked up against him considerably more than is justified.
The free kick, (good as it was) was excluded from his tally as it’s a direct shot at goal rather than a created opportunity, (if you get what I mean) any one could of taken it, sometimes they fly in, more often they don’t.

I do feel that Chaplin is a penalty box goal poacher, and playing him 40 yards from goal dosnt help his style of play, which makes you ask why was he signed if he dosnt fit the style of play, but that same could be asked of Ogogo, Bakayoko, Andreu and Hiwula. To name but 4!
Our recruitment seems at odds with what we want to do on the pitch, and a reluctance to give some fringe players a run also seems strange. But before anyone points it out, I’m fully aware that none of this was mentioned when we were on that great run a while back, But that seems a long time ago now dosnt it.

SkyblueBri

Not true . Mark Robins has played him out of position, i.e. out wide. Make Robins is still doing it now .
So why are we playing him if the position he is in is not allowing him to score. I just do not get what were trying to do, but for £500k he currently looks like a bad choice, and before everyone says he is an investment for the future, I'm more worried about staying in Div 1.

usskyblue

giphy.gif

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

You've just been complaining about him playing on the wing and you're advocating Ponticelli to cover for a winger. Barmpot.
Yes we need cover , but I've never said he should play on the wing.

He's a striker and should play as one .

Stop misquoting me !

Last edited:

Warwickhunt

I think if we were recalling anyone to cover JJ, it'd be Allassani

Allassani looked reasonable when he came on against Luton! if he had come on a bit earlier he would have taken off the double teaming Luton were doing against Thomas!

pastythegreat

Allassani looked reasonable when he came on against Luton! if he had come on a bit earlier he would have taken off the double teaming Luton were doing against Thomas!
I think that's what we need. The team looks so unbalanced with the pace of Thomas on the right and Shipley on the left. Personally, I think we need to but Thomas on the left and Bayliss on the right and get the Doyle/Kelly partnership back together.
The reason Doyle hasn't been playing well is because he hasn't had Kelly complimenting him and the reason Kelly hasn't played is because he's not been fit. Well.... No he's fit and playing so get the band back together again.

Users who are viewing this thread