PONTICELLI (1 Viewer)

Esoterica

That 18 year old kid is older than Adam Armstrong was when he was here and scoring for fun.
But yea, lets not give a goal scorer a chance, let's persevere with non scorers........ because there older.
That makes no fucking sense whatsoever!
About the same amount of sense as writing off new players as non scorers when they're being played in a team creating nothing. Which will be exactly the same reason why Ponticelli wouldn't solve anything. Fix the system first then give him his chance.

dongonzalos

He is 19 in 4 days by the way.
Not that, that makes any difference.
If you are good enough you are old enough.
If I had a scoring record like his and the people ahead of me couldn't score for toffee. I would expect at least 10-15 minute run outs when we are desperate for a goal and playing against 10 men

stevefloyd

That 18 year old kid is older than Adam Armstrong was when he was here and scoring for fun.
But yea, lets not give a goal scorer a chance, let's persevere with non scorers........ because there older.
That makes no fucking sense whatsoever!
Also makes no fucking sense bringing other strikers in also if he is just going to play Ponticelli... we got very very lucky with Armstrong look where hes at now

fatso

If he was on the books of man utd or liverpool, and we signed him on loan today, all the doubters on here would look at his goals record and be creaming themselves, but because hes already ours, lets just leave him in the stiffs till hes had enough of waiting and fooks off.
He just could be the next
About the same amount of sense as writing off new players as non scorers when they're being played in a team creating nothing. Which will be exactly the same reason why Ponticelli wouldn't solve anything. Fix the system first then give him his chance.
Whats wrong with the system when we mis a free header from 3 yards out?
Or when our best striker goes one on one with the keeper and cant even hit the target?
How many months has it been since Beavon scored?

Last edited:

Joy Division

I think I'd rather send him out on loan for a couple of months playing mens football before dropping him into the baying jaws of the Sky Blues support. Can imagine if he doesn't score in his first few games it could knock his confidence if fans begin to get on his back.

SkyBlueScottie

Personally I would give him a few subs appearances first, see how he copes with it, if he doesnt make an impression then go out on loan to a carefully chosen club. You cant just go and dump him anywhere with no thought other than it might toughen him up. You want to give him the best chance to succeed for us, so preferably in a team that plays in a similar way to us etc...

Esoterica

If he was on the books of man utd or liverpool, and we signed him on loan today, all the doubters on here would look at his goals record and be creaming themselves, but because hes already ours, lets just leave him in the stiffs till hes had enough of waiting and fooks off.

Or when our best striker goes one on one with the keeper and cant even hit the target?
What's wrong with the system? Well your 2 examples of our free flowing creativity are from the final 20 minutes of the last game played and are pretty much all we have created in the last 3 league games. Both chances were created by Andreu who hasn't started a league game yet. When he's not on the pitch our central midfield are so deep there's no link between midfield and the strikers down the middle and anything we do create is mostly down to JJ running at players directly. Is Ponti the type of player who makes his own chances? Not from what I've seen (which is admittedly limited to video highlights)
In terms of the two chances McNulty missed, well that header was an awkward height and a little behind him but I agree he should have done better with it - a left footed player would probably have volleyed it.
For the 1 on 1? Great first touch from the Andreu pass and good pace to beat the defender - would Ponticelli even have got there if requied to do the same? Do i think he should have hit the target though? More times than not but the keeper came off his line, it was on a 45 degree angle and he had a defender bearing down on him so not as straight forward as if he'd gone clean through down the middle.
Beavon I've said many times would not be starting if up to me.

Adge

Adge, are there any actually Cov players you've rated in the last 5-10 years? The only player I can remember you giving a positive analysis on was Nathan Clarke
Westwood,Keough,Christie,Ben Turner,Marlon King,Fox,Dann,Wilson,Leon Clark,Joe Murphy,Carl Baker, Elliot Ward, Gunarsson and erm ..now I'm struggling. .....

Hobo

At this level you need 5 chances to score 1 goal. On my reckoning you are 3 short and that is just one game.

Fergusons_Beard

.....we got very very lucky with Armstrong look where hes at now

Eh!

Armstrong has just started his second season in the championship and plays for England u21's!

Just not good enough for Newcastle and the Prem at the moment but given time he will be.

That's all this thread is about anyway-time!

George Thomas never looked good enough for me until the end of last season and he had plenty of opportunities. Sometimes a player needs bedding in before realising their potential.

The only other point is 'pace'-look at most young players who are given a chance early doors and they have one thing in common-blistering pace.

Unless like Armstrong and players like Little Sheff (and To some extend Madders) who had skills that were way above their contemporaries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fatso

At this level you need 5 chances to score 1 goal. On my reckoning you are 3 short and that is just one game.
I've lost count of the number of times we've had possession in and around the box, and not even looked to pull the trigger.
How do you expect to win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket?

fatso

Armstrong hasn't scored in 6 months
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Armstrong no longer plays for us, and hence I couldn't give a flying toss how long it's been since he's scored.
Beavon on the other hand ......

ccfcway

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Armstrong no longer plays for us, and hence I couldn't give a flying toss how long it's been since he's scored.
Beavon on the other hand ......

last 5 or 6 years he has scored about 6 or 7 a season. We are only 5 games into this season, he will get his 6 or 7. he was player of the season last time he was in League Two.

stevefloyd

him scoring 6 or 7 wouldn't worry me if he was creating 10 or 12 for other players however... I actually like Beavon he works hard for the team but we need more than hard workers playing up front, but it appears Beavon is fast becomming a luxury we can't afford!!

Hobo

I've lost count of the number of times we've had possession in and around the box, and not even looked to pull the trigger.
How do you expect to win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket?

Doesn't matter who your striker is then if they are not getting the right delivery or service. It's a pretty new set of players so there will be a gelling period. Fans being impatient and getting on players backs will make it worse not better.

Gazolba

Yes exactly, but he's only 18 and he has to wait for that chance, people shouldn't expect him to get a chance or be the next big thing as he is just a kid.
You mean like the 17-year old who plays for Wales and just scored in one World Cup qualifier and set up the winning goal in the next one?
Where would Wales be now if they didn't give him a chance because "He's just a kid"? Out of the World Cup is where they would be!
By the way, Ponticelli is 19 in three more days.

chiefdave

You mean like the 17-year old who plays for Wales
Don't much too much pressure on Ponticelli, just compare him to one of his generations most exceptional talents!

Klopp has said Woodburn won't be rushed into the first team and if he doesn't play first team for a year its not an issue as his long term development is more important. The same reason they won't loan him out.

skybluegod

You mean like the 17-year old who plays for Wales and just scored in one World Cup qualifier and set up the winning goal in the next one?
Where would Wales be now if they didn't give him a chance because "He's just a kid"? Out of the World Cup is where they would be!
By the way, Ponticelli is 19 in three more days.

How many games has he played for Liverpool? Hasn't been in the squad yet this year.
Coleman has said that Woodburn wouldn't start a game for them because he's too young? He was only ever going to be used as an impact sub?
Not only that but woodburn had been part of the wales squad for the last 2 squads, and trained with the Liverpool first team for all of last season. To give him exposure.
He's also been at the Liverpool academy from 7 years old. Whereas ponticelli has been with us for 2 years.
That is why it is stupid comparing players.
I haven't said not to give him 10/15 minutes here and there. I am against starting him every game before he is ready. Or even bringing him into the first team before we have settled.

fatso

How many games has he played for Liverpool? Hasn't been in the squad yet this year.
Coleman has said that Woodburn wouldn't start a game for them because he's too young? He was only ever going to be used as an impact sub?
Not only that but woodburn had been part of the wales squad for the last 2 squads, and trained with the Liverpool first team for all of last season. To give him exposure.
He's also been at the Liverpool academy from 7 years old. Whereas ponticelli has been with us for 2 years.
That is why it is stupid comparing players.
I haven't said not to give him 10/15 minutes here and there. I am against starting him every game before he is ready. Or even bringing him into the first team before we have settled.
You can't compare a 17 year olds lack of appearances in the premiership with Liverpool, to a 19 year olds (19 on Sunday) lack of appearances for a mid table division 2 side! If a 19 year old fit, talented and keen to impress footballer can't make his mark at this level then he's in the wrong job!
Stop wrapping him in cotton wool ffs and give him a chance.

theferret

I think that is exactly what people are doing. Jones is still only 19 now and was getting first team starts the season before last. It always seems we're happy for youngsters to play when we bring them in from other clubs, but those we develop ourselves it always seems 'too early'. Give the lad a chance, he must be chomping at the bit.

skybluegod

You can't compare a 17 year olds lack of appearances in the premiership with Liverpool, to a 19 year olds (19 on Sunday) lack of appearances for a mid table division 2 side! If a 19 year old fit, talented and keen to impress footballer can't make his mark at this level then he's in the wrong job!

He choose to compare them not me?
He's in the wrong job? Just like jamie Vardy? Andre gray? Callum Wilson didn't make a mark until 22?
All players are different is my point. Some players develop early (woodburn) some develop later e.g. Vardy.
Robins is a professional football manager with over 400 games of managerial experience, plus 375 appearances as a striker so I think he knows what he's doing. And I think he has a better idea of how he will develop than you or I

fatso

He choose to compare them not me?
He's in the wrong job? Just like jamie Vardy? Andre gray? Callum Wilson didn't make a mark until 22?
All players are different is my point. Some players develop early (woodburn) some develop later e.g. Vardy.
Robins is a professional football manager with over 400 games of managerial experience, plus 375 appearances as a striker so I think he knows what he's doing. And I think he has a better idea of how he will develop than you or I
Those players weren't in division 2! WHAT PART OF DIVISION 2 DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND!

fatso

No you are right, jamie Vardy and Andre gray were in Non-league you Moron It took them longer to develop what do you not understand
Would you really like me to list all the teenagers who've made it in the premier league, or the champions league or who have played at international level?
The point you seem unable to grasp (and trust me it's not difficult) is that unless we give ponticelli a chance, we will never know.
I can see it's pointless trying to talk common sense with you, so I'll not reply to you in future, except to say that when strachan intimated that fans no fuck all about football, I'm beginning to see what he meant.

fernandopartridge

I think that is exactly what people are doing. Jones is still only 19 now and was getting first team starts the season before last. It always seems we're happy for youngsters to play when we bring them in from other clubs, but those we develop ourselves it always seems 'too early'. Give the lad a chance, he must be chomping at the bit.

Yes but Jones had already got a fair number of appearances under his belt. I agree that Ponticelli should be given opportunities, but don't see the need to rush him in with the expectation of goals weighing him down. You can see to a certain extent how a lack of confidence is affecting McNulty who is snatching at chances. It won't be much different with Ponticelli

fatso

Yes but Jones had already got a fair number of appearances under his belt. I agree that Ponticelli should be given opportunities, but don't see the need to rush him in with the expectation of goals weighing him down. You can see to a certain extent how a lack of confidence is affecting McNulty who is snatching at chances. It won't be much different with Ponticelli
But how do we know that?

SlowerThanPlatt

Robins:

After a remarkable season with the Under-18s, Jordan Ponticelli has continued his goalscoring form for City's Development side scoring four times in as many fixtures.

Robins has assured Ponticelli, and other youngsters within the squad that if they continue to perform they will get their chances this season.

He added: "Jordan is always in our plans, he just has to be patient and keep doing what he is doing. He is somebody that will, if he carries on doing what he is doing, be part of the squad this season.

"We work with him on a daily basis and he is getting better. We did a session with him at the start of the week and it looked like he was a little away from the group, but then the most recent session he got better.

"I am taking him with us and he is responding to that, so i'm confident that is he keeps his head down and works hard, which he has been doing, he won't be far away and it won't be too long either."

Good they're actually asking these questions rather than the usual 'any injuries' or 'hopes for Saturday'!

Reactions: vow

skybluegod

Would you really like me to list all the teenagers who've made it in the premier league, or the champions league or who have played at international level?
The point you seem unable to grasp (and trust me it's not difficult) is that unless we give ponticelli a chance, we will never know.
I can see it's pointless trying to talk common sense with you, so I'll not reply to you in future, except to say that when strachan intimated that fans no fuck all about football, I'm beginning to see what he meant.

I can fully grasp that players need to be given a chance and until they are of course WE won't know. What you don't seem to grasp is that, every player is different! And that MR sees him every day in training.
Robins will put him in when he is ready.
We are on a poor run, and imo he would get slaughtered if he didn't score within say 5 games.
Coventry fans seem to like to pick on players that come through the academy and don't hit the ground running.
E.g. Thomas in the first half of last season was written off. Haynes( a lot hate some like), bigi, Conor Thomas, Jordan clarke, Cyrus Christie, Nathen Cameron. coventry fans aren't patient enough with players. And I would rather trust Mark Robins judgement as to when to put the kid in.
So I repeat I do know that unless given a chance he can't prove himself. What you need to understand is. I trust Robins to know when to give him that chance!

Users who are viewing this thread