PONTICELLI

Discussion in 'Coventry City General Chat' started by CovisGod, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Gazolba

Gazolba Well-Known Member

Imagine if we leave it till the second half of the season before we give Ponticelli a chance. Then he turns out to be a prolific goal scorer. We'll all be kicking ourselves saying what might have been if we'd only played him earlier. Of course, we wont play him later because then we'll either be fighting for the play-off spots or fighting against relegation. Too risky then to chance an untried player. Now is the time to give him a few games, at the start of the season, when nothing is really at stake.

2. Mucca Mad Boys

Mucca Mad Boys Well-Known Member

I don’t think that is the case. Robins’ has made it fairly clear that he doesn’t feel like he’s ready yet. So if he did get introduced and scored lots of goals, it would be because Robins’ has seen enough in training to prove he’s up to the standards of our current starters. Besides, how many 18-19yr olds are able to maintain high standards throughout a long season. Armstrong couldn’t stop scoring but stagnated and it took seemingly an age for him to eventually hit 20 goals. You have to be patient with young players.

3. stevefloyd

stevefloyd Well-Known Member

If we leave him to the 2nd half of the season and he starts scoring prolific that would be great! whos to know if we play him early if it will screw him up or not...let him keep scoring in the unders until its impossible to leave him out, I am sure Robins is keeping a very very close eye on him, he's been on the bench a few times giving him first hand experience of watching a learning but doubt he will be on the bench for tonights game

skybluegod likes this.
  4. skybluegod

skybluegod Well-Known Member

You say that but then you could argue that, because he was kept out of the public eye, he was given the chance to improve day in day out away from pressure, and that is why he was so good in the second half of the season.
    So it’s a pretty silly argument.

5. Adge

Adge Well-Known Member

Interestingly I had a conversation recently with Steven Pressley and his time at the club. I think it is well known that his remit was to replicate the Falkirk model at Ccfc where he slashed the wage bill and was told to "develop" the academy into the first team. Remember he gave an example where he gave George Thomas his debut at 16 at Leyton Orient not because George Thomas was a good player or ready at the time, but because there was nobody else.Also the bench that night was also made up of youth team/academy players who are now no longer involved in football. And with that remit is it any surprise we are where we are. Said if he knew what was coming ie/budgets/players/administration/points deduction's/Northampton move etc, that he should in hindsight, have left for Huddersfield who he had spoken too.

6. SlowerThanPlatt

SlowerThanPlatt Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? Why do you keep making up things when a quick search on Google proves you wrong?

On the bench that night were Burge, Jordan Clarke, Haynes, Phillips, Willis, Barton and Slager.

7. Nick

Nick Administrator

Slager the striker he gave an 18 month contract and he left a month later mutually?

8. Danceswithhorses

Danceswithhorses Well-Known Member

Sounds like he was sold a pup.
    Maybe he should have jumped and gone to Huddersfield, or maybe have quit in protest, and been honest with the fans at the time, who would presumably have had some sympathy for him.
    As it is, he is almost unemployable...he chose poorly.

9. Nick

Nick Administrator

Pressley also said this about Orient.

"And credit to Leyton Orient. They're a really hard-working side and I hope for Russell Slade they are one of the sides that go up. They are an example to everybody about how to build a football club."

[​IMG]

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue likes this.
  10. skybluesam66

skybluesam66 Well-Known Member

to be honest a team with
    Joe Murphy
    cyrus christie
    John Fleck
    Carl Baker
    Leon Clarke
    Callum Wilson

should have been strong enough to finish top 6 even with a points deduction

11. fernandopartridge

fernandopartridge Well-Known Member

LOL

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

12. Adge

Adge Well-Known Member

Just passing on what he said. Maybe it was another game if anybody can be bothered to research it?

13. fernandopartridge

fernandopartridge Well-Known Member

14. fatso

fatso Active Member

It's odd that MR dosnt think that ponticelli is ready yet, but somehow believes that Beavon is!
    Personally, I don't think we need to rely on him (ponticelli) scoring all season, but we do need some goals from somewhere between now and January, when the transfer window opens again, and our lack of goals can be addressed properly.
    Whichever way you look at it, it's bad management to go into a crusial season without a proven, experienced goalkeeper, and without a natural goal scorer.

That may go some way to explain why MR is managing a crisis riddled club in division 2 instead of an ambitious outfit in the championship.
    I hope I'm wrong and the goals start flowing, ....... Only time will tell.

15. Grendel

Grendel Well-Known Member

Clarke left in January, Wilson I think was injured for a while and didn't Christie say he was off by the end of the season and gave up? Baker was back to baker in the championship after December.

16. ccfcway

ccfcway Well-Known Member

9 games in, 5 goals conceded and beat the top 2,

boooooo

Sick Boy and Greggs like this.
  17. Johnnythespider

Johnnythespider Well-Known Member

I like to imagine to myself that Robins who is manager, knows he isn't quite ready yet and that when he is he will give him some game time. Just imagine if Robins had put him in the side for two or three games and he didn't score, and we lost those games everybody would be saying, what's he playing at putting an untried kid into the side when we've got Nazon.

Sick Boy, Nick and NorthernWisdom like this.
  18. Nick

Nick Administrator

That's the thing, people seem to forget he hasn't been a footballer for very long. Robins will use him when he feels he is ready, at the minute he sees biamou in front of him anyway.

Johnnythespider likes this.
  19. Johnnythespider

Johnnythespider Well-Known Member

As do I, I quite like the option Biamou gives us and if he can add a couple of goals to his game all the better.

20. fatso

fatso Active Member

In case you hadnt realised, I was referring to goals scored.

21. Greggs

Greggs Well-Known Member

Does it make sense introducing a kid into a team of players that are yet to gel.....or waiting until the team is more established?

22. vow

vow Well-Known Member

....and they nearly did it too, apart from a collapse near the end of the season.

23. Esoterica

Esoterica Well-Known Member

I just hope Ponticelli gets a chance soon so people will shut up about him. When he doesn't score with every touch he gets I hope it starts to sink in that the issue behind the lack of goals is as much formation than personnel. All this lack of natural goalscorer chat is a load of old bollocks. Almost all players at this level need 2 or 3 decent chances per game to score (Just look at some of what has been missed against us - header over from a yard out, Reid's 1 on 1 Saturday) and we just haven't been creating that until already ahead in games.

24. Hobo

Hobo Well-Known Member

Full of experience and quality....
    Exhibit A: Slager!!

25. SlowerThanPlatt

SlowerThanPlatt Well-Known Member

Great moment for the lad

image.png

26. Adge

Adge Well-Known Member

And hopefully the first of many!

dongonzalos likes this.
  27. stevefloyd

stevefloyd Well-Known Member

Just imagine the clamour coming to a forum near you very very soon

28. SeaSeeEffCee

SeaSeeEffCee New Member

Someone fit him into this

29. superskyblue

superskyblue Active Member

Just seen the goal on twitter. Whilst I'm sure the lad is a good finisher, I think every single one of our strikers would have scored so I'm not getting too hyped up yet.

30. Skybluefaz

Skybluefaz Well-Known Member

I get you, but, would they all have got themselves into that position? Beavon would have found a way to miss bless him.

31. shmmeee

shmmeee Well-Known Member

Two in two for the first team now isn’t it?

Lineker never scored from more than about five yards his whole career, still a bloody good striker

32. pusbccfc

pusbccfc Well-Known Member

That's the thing with Ponti, having watched him a few times at youth level, he just gets into the positions. He is a clever lad.

Although I agree with not playing him right now, I wouldn't argue against him coming off the bench in the league.

33. Nonleagueherewecome

Nonleagueherewecome Well-Known Member

Exactly. Whilst he's obviously not that good, he is a goal poacher who gets into goalscoring positions. He seems to have that "natural goalscorer" instinct, which a few of our strikers-(whose overall game is way ahead of his at this stage) -sure don't, and for that reason he's a very handy sub. He brings something different. His overall game can be worked on and coached over time, but that knack of scoring goals is something that some players just have and it is rare and invaluable. Robins has clearly seen this, hence the long term contract. He'll feed him in gradually in games like today and soon, I really hope, some league games as a sub.

I'm delighted he's been given a chance and taken it so well. I know it was a simple finish tonight, but he got into that goalscoring position and it's hard to argue with his strike rate!

34. SkyblueBazza

SkyblueBazza Well-Known Member

If he is a poacher - MR is doing right so far imo. He will be watching & thinking "I would've put that one away" & just building up his angst & determination.
    This boy could have Lineker value to him if he is managed right.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

clerkin61 likes this.
  35. Gazolba

Gazolba Well-Known Member

It doesn't really matter because he'll be gone before the end of the season.
    We better play him while we can.

itsabuzzard likes this.