Recruitment has been shocking (4 Viewers)

shmmeee

If we’d have kept to the “common sense model” (and we can brand it however we like, Brentford or Brighton but just common sense:

Buy young players with proven potential at either the league below or fringe prem or cheaper euro leagues for up to £2m

Have a couple of older heads in midfield and defence)

Then I think most on here could have seen the strategy and would be less concerned.

We’ve had a £35m windfall that we’ve not ever had before and two players in particular don’t fit the “common sense” model.

With the Wright and Kitching money we could have easily got 6 decent players in and had a much deeper squad.

I think that sums up the mood of the fans. Maybe King too.

I think there’s a fair question about whether those £1-2m players still exist in the market, or with inflation (both IRL and in football) are they now £3.5m players like MvE and Simms?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I think there’s a fair question about whether those £1-2m players still exist in the market, or with inflation (both IRL and in football) are they now £3.5m players like MvE and Simms?

I think they are one step up to be honest.

When we signed Hamer he was still quite unknown. MvE was considered one of the better right backs in the Eredivise for example.

Either way, I would have expected to see more results from some of these signings already. The fact so many are stuttering has been a bit baffling/concerning.

Sick Boy

Considering the hype MvE has been disappointing, especially after Robins’ comments about him not doing what was asked of him.

Reactions: SBT

False9

Also if we keep this formation Robins will always prefer the extra defensive solidity at full back
He's a strange one, I think he looks more solid defensively than good going forward.

He plays like Kyle walker. Fast off the ball and getting back to track a winger but when he gets it he just wants to recycle possession and technically tidy.

I don't think he is someone that will consistently beat a man with the ball.

shmmeee

I think they are one step up to be honest.

When we signed Hamer he was still quite unknown. MvE was considered one of the better right backs in the Eredivise for example.

Either way, I would have expected to see more results from some of these signings already. The fact so many are stuttering has been a bit baffling/concerning.

He's a strange one, I think he looks more solid defensively than good going forward.

He plays like Kyle walker. Fast off the ball and getting back to track a winger but when he gets it he just wants to recycle possession and technically tidy.

I don't think he is someone that will consistently beat a man with the ball.

Stats suggest he’s trying a lot more than he’s used to and succeeding a lot less. Like Wright could just be getting used to the league.

IMG_0334.jpeg

shmmeee

Yeah in a modern 433 you can definitely have an attacking full back. Plus we’ve got players like Eccles and Sakamoto who can drop back. Plus he’s rapid so doesnt actually get caught out up the pitch too much.

Reactions: SBT

Cally Fedora

I think Latibeaudiere at RB recently has been to shore things up and stop the rot. He doesn’t look comfortable on the ball to me and is best suited centrally. Van Ewijk looks like a good signing - it’s a good point made earlier that he’s a 2m signing of yesteryear that now costs 4m due to the passage of time. An Evtushok or a Breen if you will.

False9

Looks to me to be more of a “cut in and drive at middle” player whereas MR seems to want him to go outside and cross.
Yea inverted, he likes to combine with the midfielder too. Possibly from the possession based Dutch style.

You'd think this sort of thing would be identified by scouts and Robins.

It seems like we aren't playing to the obvious strengths of some of the new signings which is a bit worrying.

DrPoolittle

The club has set aside caution and spent money with all the logic of a kid in a sweet shop. If anyone at City has a lessons learned template, it would advise not to waste even more money in January.

But of course, the club has to spend more to replace Hamer. And arguably, the club needs two midfielders, not just one.

Now the conundrum is that players were signed to suit a wing back formation but Robins has to consider whether or not to change to a back 4.

Still, £15 million worth of forwards on £25,000 a week should convince the nay sayers

SBAndy

Interesting.

Looks like he's being asked to do something that's not necessarily his usual game.

Can’t be arsed to go back and watch clips, but it strikes me that the best utility of his pace would be to play the ball in behind the defender and give him a raw foot-race. To do this, his starting position needs to be higher. So many instances of players not being as quick with the ball at their feet.

Of course, the next thing would be to get bodies into the box, but that’s never been MR’s bag.

BlueSkiesForever

I can't accept Latibeaudiere is better 1v1 than MVE , been turned inside out a few times last 2 games
Yeah in a modern 433 you can definitely have an attacking full back. Plus we’ve got players like Eccles and Sakamoto who can drop back. Plus he’s rapid so doesnt actually get caught out up the pitch too much.

Definitely agree, I think Van Ewijk needs to come back in at RB, he seems much more natural at that role than Lati. I’d be tempted to play Lati in CDM instead of Sheaf some games (still rate Sheaf, just sometimes he has a bad game and could maybe have a rest here and there).

I think Van Ewijk will really suit the RB slot, he’s able to track back quickly and we’ll need that now we’ve got one less CB. Hopefully he’ll also be able to get up the pitch now and again and offer some attacking threat which is something Lati perhaps isn’t quite as good at.

Ideally I’d play:

Collins
Van Ewijk, Thomas, Kitching, Bidwell
Allen/Palmer, Sheaf, Dasilva/Eccles
Sakamoto, Simms, Wright

SBT

it’s a good point made earlier that he’s a 2m signing of yesteryear that now costs 4m due to the passage of time. An Evtushok or a Breen if you will.
MVE was one of the top 20 most expensive signings in the whole division this summer. If you exclude the three relegated clubs then only a handful of players were signed for a bigger fee. It’s a significant investment for a team at this level.

shmmeee

MVE was one of the top 20 most expensive signings in the whole division this summer. If you exclude the three relegated clubs then only a handful of players were signed for a bigger fee. It’s a significant investment for a team at this level.

Well half the division didn’t even spend that much across the whole window.

Marty

Can’t be arsed to go back and watch clips, but it strikes me that the best utility of his pace would be to play the ball in behind the defender and give him a raw foot-race. To do this, his starting position needs to be higher. So many instances of players not being as quick with the ball at their feet.

Of course, the next thing would be to get bodies into the box, but that’s never been MR’s bag.

I think this is why Binks was bought in, renowned for his diagonal balls into the channels for the wingers/wing backs to run onto.

napolimp

Thought this was worth revisiting.

4 of the 5 at the back are new signings this season, where we spent money. I think the defence is starting to look as solid as last season. I'd say that's good recruitment.

Obviously Sakamoto is starting to look very good. Simms has time to grow into a good investment. Wright is the elephant in the room, but his goal/assist contribution come the end of the season will tell the true story.

Otis

Thought this was worth revisiting.

4 of the 5 at the back are new signings this season, where we spent money. I think the defence is starting to look as solid as last season. I'd say that's good recruitment.

Obviously Sakamoto is starting to look very good. Simms has time to grow into a good investment. Wright is the elephant in the room, but his goal/assist contribution come the end of the season will tell the true story.
Some of the dismissing of Kitching is very amusing.

Thomas too. Both are looking very good right now.

The summer recruitment campaign is starting to look so much better.

In January we need another midfielder for sure. We are a bit thin on the ground and Ayari, unfortunately, has so far failed and looks a bit lightweight. We need to strengthen there. Palmer and Kelly are far too injury prone.

Otis

DaSilva - Free - alright
Latibeaudiere- free- decent
Binks - Loan - decent

Ayari - Loan - Shit
Simms - 3.5m - Double shit
Wright - 7.7m - Triple shit
Van Ewjik- 4m - player there, think he'll be good
Tats - 1.2m - good player but MR dont rate him
Collins - 500k - who knows?
Thomas - 2m - wank
Kitching -4m - pointless

So in summary we've spunked loads of money on shit players
⬆️

This is why you have to give players time

Is Kitching still pointless and Thomas w*nk?

Cally Fedora

Must admit in Jan I’d seriously be considering trying to offload O’Hare and Atari to free up wages to reinvest in midfield. O’Hare has obvious quality but just doesn’t play enough.

Users who are viewing this thread