Recruitment has been shocking (4 Viewers)

Otis

Still think next season is when this team shows its full worth..
You have to give players time. Been shown time and time again and you only have to throw up the examples of Adebola, Turner and McGoldrick to prove why.

Some players are immediate successes. Some take time. Some fail

We need to give them time to fail though.

Grendel

Some of the dismissing of Kitching is very amusing.

Thomas too. Both are looking very good right now.

The summer recruitment campaign is starting to look so much better.

In January we need another midfielder for sure. We are a bit thin on the ground and Ayari, unfortunately, has so far failed and looks a bit lightweight. We need to strengthen there. Palmer and Kelly are far too injury prone.

The defence look better as we’ve altered the system - the signings made were to accommodate high wing backs and 3 centre halves. It didn’t work and they looked poor in the intended system

mmttww

I think I’m on the spectrum.
mr t dancing GIF

Grendel

The clutching at straws is already getting very tedious .

We’ve won two games - and mainly as we’ve bought back a left back robins tried to shove out the door last season.

Alkhen

⬆️

This is why you have to give players time

Is Kitching still pointless and Thomas w*nk?
Just a troll at this point, add posts like this to the clear fact they have a personal axe to grind with the owner you can disregard anything they post

TomRad85

People are always saying Robins should have alternatives anyway. Wouldn't be surprised to see five at the back make a return at some stage, but he has always shown himself pragmatic enough to change if it's needed. He did it in League One after all.
God i hope it doesn't return, not with this group of players anyway.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

shmmeee

Yeah just feels like it fits this squad better and is so flexible. The players will always remember how to play 3ATB but id expect us sign for this in Jan and it a go until the end of the season barring a major injury or crisis.

SkyBlueMatt

God i hope it doesn't return, not with this group of players anyway.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

People are still basing it on when we were all at sea. If Kitching, Thomas and Collins can continue to be solid, make the positions their own. There is scope to be more dynamic.

It's almost as if our season starts now, it's taken longer than we all expected but I think we now have a starting point. For example if the defence is settling and understand what is expected of them / their role. It will make it easier for other players to do what they are good at and generate confidence to the rest.

I'm certain we'll see 532 again in the not to distant future. For right now, stick to the formation that is working and nail that first.

The Philosopher

People are always saying Robins should have alternatives anyway. Wouldn't be surprised to see five at the back make a return at some stage, but he has always shown himself pragmatic enough to change if it's needed. He did it in League One after all.
Unsure where the “Hamer box to box” replacement fits in in this 4 back set up.

Eccles and Sheaf are doing fine sitting deep but to be fair they are getting in the box regularly.

Sims for Godden could work and I think a fitter O’Hare on the left of attack in place of Wright would give us more energy in the press and pull defences about more.

Haji scored - kudos to him - and can cause problems but I think O’Hare would bring more to the team in terms of being able to trap a ball and give and go.

Tats on the right is working.

Rotate Sims and Wright in the centre.

We have options at least.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Eccles and Sheaf are doing fine sitting deep but to be fair they are getting in the box regularly.

Sims for Godden could work and I think a fitter O’Hare on the left of attack in place of Wright would give us more energy in the press and pull defences about more.

Haji scored - kudos to him - and can cause problems but I think O’Hare would bring more to the team in terms of being able to trap a ball and give and go.

The creative player slots in where Eccles is all day of the week. Eccles is similar to sheaf we don’t need two of him

ceetee

Do you think O'Hare would score as many goals as Wright?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Thought this was worth revisiting.

4 of the 5 at the back are new signings this season, where we spent money. I think the defence is starting to look as solid as last season. I'd say that's good recruitment.

Obviously Sakamoto is starting to look very good. Simms has time to grow into a good investment. Wright is the elephant in the room, but his goal/assist contribution come the end of the season will tell the true story.

There's a few things that stand out for me.

When you look at the players we have signed, on paper the results we have been getting don't really match up. Yes, we lost a good number of goals out of the team, but the players we have signed should be better than the sum of the parts we lost. That's why for me at least, other than the midfield, the question marks weren't really with the signings. More with the management and how we were playing. If you want to coin a popular phrase 'time to gel' also being a relevant variable.

A 433 always seemed to make more sense, and I don't think it has been an exaggeration to say it has been a bit of a revelation. We actually look dangerous at times, but not only that, the back line seems much more solid and able to stand up for itself. I don't think we played that well yesterday, but keep a clean sheet and all you need to do is grab a dirty goal, which we did.

I hope this is the corner turned now, and long may this positive trajectory continue.

The Philosopher

Do you think O'Hare would score as many goals as Wright?
O’Hare would create more chances for others I think and it’s whether playing him means better results on the whole.

My personal presumption (and that’s all it is) is that O’Hare roaming wide left, Tats on Right and Sims in the middle is a better proposition.

SlowerThanPlatt

O’Hare would create more chances for others I think and it’s whether playing him means better results on the whole.

My personal presumption (and that’s all it is) is that O’Hare roaming wide left, Tats on Right and Sims in the middle is a better proposition.
He’s not even impacting the game from off the bench since coming back, don’t know how we’d possibly be better off if he started.

skybluecam

O’Hare didn’t look good at all on the wing when he came on last night, positionally confused and misplayed/timed multiple passes.

More training needed if he’s going to play there I think. He may be better challenging Allen for the more adventurous position in the midfield 3.

PVA

O’Hare didn’t look good at all on the wing when he came on last night, positionally confused and misplayed/timed multiple passes.

More training needed if he’s going to play there I think. He may be better challenging Allen for the more adventurous position in the midfield 3.

Sometimes it’s a 4-3-3 with a flat three in midfield and sometimes it’s a 4-2-3-1 with Allen clearly playing as a 10. Seems to vary depending on the opposition and match situation.

So yeah O’Hare can play off the left in the 4-3-3 or, ideally, the 10 in a 4-2-3-1.

The Philosopher

Maybe, but I’d like to see him being able to jink in and roam rather than an all out wide man.

With Sheaf and Eccles sitting, the Full backs can get forward like they have of late. O’Hare cutting in and roaming is what I’m thinking.

Anyway, I’m not MR - I just like the idea of a fully fit O’Hare menacing the opposition and although Haji has his good points it’s still fresh in my mind how we picked up last season when O’Hare came in.

Last edited:

SBAndy

Maybe, but I’d like to see him being able to jink in and roam rather than an all out wide man.

With Sheaf and Eccles sitting, the Full backs can get forward like they have of late. O’Hare cutting in and roaming is what I’m thinking.

Anyway, I’m not MR - I just like the idea of a fully fit O’Hare menacing the opposition and although Haji has his good points it’s still fresh in my mind how we picked up last season when O’Hare came in.

Eccles didn’t sit:

1701276435367.png

Users who are viewing this thread