Retained List (1 Viewer)

Manchester_sky_blue

Apart from anything else, all footballers and strikers especially, go through huge variations in form. I seem to remember a certain Callum Wilson achieved naff all for quite a few seasons and was on the verge of being released before he came good and made a career for himself. George Thomas similarly and I bet if you look back over time there are dozens of others in the same boat. Ok Max may be a bit older than Wilson or Thomas were when they came good but you have to bear in mind that Max didnt have the advantage of being full time or category 2 academy to support him. I agree that he still has a way to go and I agree that we can't wait forever for him to get there but I think he has shown more than enough this season, especially in the second half, to buy himself some more time to show what he can do.

Otis

Apart from anything else, all footballers and strikers especially, go through huge variations in form. I seem to remember a certain Callum Wilson achieved naff all for quite a few seasons and was on the verge of being released before he came good and made a career for himself. George Thomas similarly and I bet if you look back over time there are dozens of others in the same boat. Ok Max may be a bit older than Wilson or Thomas were when they came good but you have to bear in mind that Max didnt have the advantage of being full time or category 2 academy to support him. I agree that he still has a way to go and I agree that we can't wait forever for him to get there but I think he has shown more than enough this season, especially in the second half, to buy himself some more time to show what he can do.
Totally second that.

I'm sure we will be seeking out new strikers, but it is worth having him in the squad to see how he fares against a level above.

Mucca Mad Boys

How the hell couldnt he improve? He’d said the bar so low.

Name a number 9 over a whole season whose played most games who was worse then.

Why “give him a chance” - wait another 30 games to score as he seems to smile a lot?

Seriously. This club seems obsessed with trying to give a career to awful footballers and hope they make it.

Biamous epitaph will be - never have so many superlatives been said about someone with so little talent

We need to compete with the likes of Sunderland, Charlton, Barnsley and Bradford - we ain’t doing that by giving someone a chance.

You’re being unfair.

Has Biamou improved this season? The answer is indisputably ‘yes’. Is it feasible that he’ll continue to improve? Again, the answer is ‘yes’. From Easter, he’s certainly turned a massive corner in terms of his output goals wise and sometimes you need a good run to kick on!

I do, however, agree that some overrate his his role in the team. Some seem to think McNulty immediately turns into a world beater when paired with Biamou, which I don’t think is true. There is also a bit of a double standard when judging JCH and Biamou, despite JCH’s first 20 odd games being far better than Biamou’s.

Shipley is just underrated full stop. People have expressed feelings questioning whether or not he’s ‘good enough’ for L1. He absolutely is, but he probably won’t be a starter with the squad at full strength. His stats are comparable to Bayliss’, and doesn’t get the credit he deserves imo.

Biamou certainly has a role to play in this squad, and personally, think he’ll be used as an impact sub.

Otis

You’re being unfair.

Has Biamou improved this season? The answer is indisputably ‘yes’. Is it feasible that he’ll continue to improve? Again, the answer is ‘yes’. From Easter, he’s certainly turned a massive corner in terms of his output goals wise and sometimes you need a good run to kick on!

I do, however, agree that some overrate his his role in the team. Some seem to think McNulty immediately turns into a world beater when paired with Biamou, which I don’t think is true. There is also a bit of a double standard when judging JCH and Biamou, despite JCH’s first 20 odd games being far better than Biamou’s.

Shipley is just underrated full stop. People have expressed feelings questioning whether or not he’s ‘good enough’ for L1. He absolutely is, but he probably won’t be a starter with the squad at full strength. His stats are comparable to Bayliss’, and doesn’t get the credit he deserves imo.

Biamou certainly has a role to play in this squad, and personally, think he’ll be used as an impact sub.
Agree with that. Think he will be on the bench.

Cavan O'Doherty

There is no doubt Biamou has improved and I’ve started to warm to him, but in league one I definitely wouldn’t have him in the first team yet. For me we need to sign another striker as I also don’t think JCH is the answer.

Mucca Mad Boys

There is no doubt Biamou has improved and I’ve started to warm to him, but in league one I definitely wouldn’t have him in the first team yet. For me we need to sign another striker as I also don’t think JCH is the answer.

You mean like the striker we signed today?

Grendel

Mucca Mad Boys

I thought he was going to play on the left? He seems to be able to play in multiple positions, but I imagine he will be too similar to McNulty to play alongside him up front. I’m thinking more of a physical No.9.

He’s primarily a striker who can play on either wing.

JCH will be fine in L1, he scored 9 goals in his last full season with Oldham and I think he’ll beat that with a whole season under his belt (assuming we play 4-4-2). We’ve got McNulty as our main goal getter and with a supporting cast of Biamou and Allassani, I’m content with that position. We’ll see what MR and his staff does this window.

Cavan O'Doherty

He’s primarily a striker who can play on either wing.

JCH will be fine in L1, he scored 9 goals in his last full season with Oldham and I think he’ll beat that with a whole season under his belt (assuming we play 4-4-2). We’ve got McNulty as our main goal getter and with a supporting cast of Biamou and Allassani, I’m content with that position. We’ll see what MR and his staff does this window.
I think JCH needs to be abit less selfish. He goes on some great runs but holds onto it for too long and ends up losing it. You can see he’s got the ability but sometimes I question his decision making.

Irish Sky Blue

There’s no denying that Biamou improved dramatically during the season.
But people’s opinions of him when he was poor, were perfectly valid at the time.
No one was to know that he would eventually turn a corner.
And it may or may not be a coincidence that he turned that corner just as JCH Turned up to provide some much needed competition.
Biamou has shown signs of the ability he has from day one (laying the ball on for Jones third goal against Notts County for example). The one area lacking has been goals which he has now rectified. Some people don’t like admitting that they were wrong.

Grendel

Biamou has shown signs of the ability he has from day one (laying the ball on for Jones third goal against Notts County for example). The one area lacking has been goals which he has now rectified. Some people don’t like admitting that they were wrong.

You’re wrong - that was Nazon

Irish Sky Blue

It’s really bizarre. When players like Shipley are accused of lack of commitment no one (but me and one other) stands up for him but when the new Coventry Treasure is criticised it’s pistols at dawn.
I think people take exception to the criticism of someone like Biamou from yourself because it was so blatantly blinkered and unfair. You could never see or acknowledge anything good that he did. Your opinion of some players is totally polarised, Haynes, Burge, Biamou bad, JCH, could do no wrong. Anyone who reads these boards frequently can see that you are struggling, particularly in your comparison of JCH and Biamou. You never mention JCH now as it is completely obvious to everyone that Max has more of an impact on games. If you are still looking for a centre forward worse than Max you could start with JCH.

fatso

Wrong about what? I still maintain that we need a better centre forward than Max Biamou, regardless of the fact that he improved over the season.
He’s not going to some how transform into the next Harry Kane, he’s just not good enough.
5 league goals in 40 appearances speaks for itself.

torchomatic

Nailed it.

fatso

If only we had held on to Kevin Kyle, he’d have come good one day!

Hobo

Well yes I do but as I say people on here are very selective. Thomas was described as fat and shit when he first played in the team - “what is the point of George Thomas” - Shipley has had hardly any praise really in here compared to Biamou but has contributed far far more

People are very selective in their views on players

I agree people expect too much of our young players to soon Thomas and Shipley are good examples. Allassani is already being elevated to wonder kid but yet to make his league debut.

As for poor goal scoring number 9 Clive Platt 33//4 and 34/3 in two seasons with us. Don't say played at a higher level as we haven't had a season at this level for ages. He was brought in to play and perform at a higher level after all.

Grendel

I agree people expect too much of our young players to soon Thomas and Shipley are good examples. Allassani is already being elevated to wonder kid but yet to make his league debut.

As for poor goal scoring number 9 Clive Platt 33//4 and 34/3 in two seasons with us. Don't say played at a higher level as we haven't had a season at this level for ages. He was brought in to play and perform at a higher level after all.

Platt did a good job in the first season. Until the transfer embargo problems we were in the top 6 - pretty popular player wasn’t he?

Hobo

Platt did a good job in the first season. Until the transfer embargo problems we were in the top 6 - pretty popular player wasn’t he?

So you agree goals aren't everything when judging a strikers contribution.

Reactions: vow

Grendel

So you agree goals aren't everything when judging a strikers contribution.

It was at a higher level and in a side that tried to grind out results. He fitted that style of play.

When a similar age to Biamou platt I think had a season in league two for MK Dons and scored around 20 goals.

David O'Day

It was at a higher level and in a side that tried to grind out results. He fitted that style of play.

When a similar age to Biamou platt I think had a season in league two for MK Dons and scored around 20 goals.

that was something like his 10th season as a professional

try again

Grendel

that was something like his 10th season as a professional

try again

So what how many did the Cheltenham guy score in his first season as a professional?

Grendel

Not a similar age Grenners

Also why mention a Cheltenham player? You were comparing Platt to Max

So basically you've snookered yourself here

No I said similar age - which is correct

You then suggested it was unfair to compare someone with a decade of league experience to one with none - so I gave you an example to show that’s also irrelevant.

Users who are viewing this thread