Rishi’s wife (2 Viewers)

Grendel

I love sunny weather, therefore gothic architecture is bad.

The fact I’m afraid is when you purely campaign on hypothetical economic negatives and not positive benefits of a institution it’s doomed to fail

Especially as you say one thing - economic impact - wasn’t even a motivation to many many voters

Grendel

A green card says you must be a permanent US resident and also says you cannot serve in a foreign government.

Sunak obviously contravened both of those.

Will he be sent to prison?

skybluetony176

The article is 5 years old.

Pretty much everything in there that was apparently a remainer lie has since come to fruition 🤣

0/10, must do better.
Project fear was hopelessly optimistic in reality and the experts we’d had enough of were proven right. None more so than Robin Turner who predicted the issues for the fishing industry to the button. But unlike the leave government is working to find some ways out of the brexit mess for the fishing industry.

Grendel

If only it was sometimes.

Anyway, this isn't the Brexit thread. This is the thread for little Rishi and the end of his leadership bid.

Yes I’ve asked you a question on that

PVA

@Grendel84342619
Boris is greatest PM since Churchill 🇬🇧🇬🇧Love Europe but hate the EU! Lefties will be blocked. Like fishing and motorbikes. 🇬🇧🇬🇧

robbiekeane

Exactly the suggestion is he’s broken uk law which is patently absurd
yes, not broken any laws at all. Is it morally questionable? Maybe. Bit dodgy? You could argue he’s been caught out lying as he said her home was always intended to be India but then she has a green card…fine, so she lied/changed her mind and should’ve surrendered her green card. Big wow…join the rest of the people who have VISA stuff turned a blind eye to.

What pisses me off though is this football club/tribal mentality to politics which is sensationalist and defend your side any criticise the other at all costs. Pathetic and weakens credibility of any debate.

Is it any different to me keeping investing in my vanguard account in the US because of the preferential tax system, or investing in the UK to make the use of my tax free allowance my British passport grants me? No.

Is it any different to @shmmeee literally starting a thread asking for advice on how to avoid tax. No.

The hypocrisy is astounding.

“oh but it’s the chancellors wife”
yes so to not have your finances in order and tax efficient would be bloody worrying

I bet she still pays more UK tax than all of us on this thread put together

Grendel

Nobody has suggested he's broken UK law as far as I can see.

You said he’s not allowed to be in a government position here. Is he allowed?

Grendel

yes, not broken any laws at all. Is it morally questionable? Maybe. Bit dodgy? You could argue he’s been caught out lying as he said her home was always intended to be India but then she has a green card…fine, so she lied/changed her mind and should’ve surrendered her green card. Big wow…join the rest of the people who have VISA stuff turned a blind eye to.

What pisses me off though is this football club/tribal mentality to politics which is sensationalist and defend your side any criticise the other at all costs. Pathetic and weakens credibility of any debate.

Is it any different to me keeping investing in my vanguard account in the US because of the preferential tax system, or investing in the UK to make the use of my tax free allowance my British passport grants me? No.

Is it any different to @shmmeee literally starting a thread asking for advice on how to avoid tax. No.

The hypocrisy is astounding.

“oh but it’s the chancellors wife”
yes so to not have your finances in order and tax efficient would be bloody worrying

I bet she still pays more UK tax than all of us on this thread put together

The funny thing is the green card “revelation” is 18 months old

Grendel

Fucking hell. No I didn't.

I said Green card rules don't permit him to hold a place in a foreign government.

Learn to read.

He isn’t in a foreign government - you said it’s the end for “little Rishi” and he has to declare US as primary residency

the penalty for doing neither is oddly removal of the green card

So it’s from a uk perspective an utter non story isn’t it?

Grendel

Have you had a bang to the head?

It’s a non story from a uk perspective as it’s nothing to do with his role in the uk government

Yes or no?

Grendel

A green card says you must be a permanent US resident and also says you cannot serve in a foreign government.

Sunak obviously contravened both of those.

this is what you said

From a uk perspective what’s the significance?

Grendel

Might want to get yourself down to A+E, sounds like a bad one!

Oh dear

is this whataboutery or deflection? Certainly it’s refusing to answer a question posed 3 times

SBT

and if you don’t it gets removed doesn’t it?

I think the onus is on him to surrender the green card, but he could certainly get grief from US immigration about it whenever he enters the country. Although he’s probably entering on a special govt/diplomatic visa anyway and I doubt some random CBP officer is going to deny entry to the British Chancellor of the Exchequer over a technicality that many people skate over, if they can afford it.

The green card thing doesn’t strike me as a scandal at all, but it is a little weird. Mainly interesting for what he’s planning in terms of his career post-politics (and how soon he plans to move on).

Grendel

I think the onus is on him to surrender the green card, but he could certainly get grief from US immigration about it whenever he enters the country. Although he’s probably entering on a special govt/diplomatic visa anyway and I doubt some random CBP officer is going to deny entry to the British Chancellor of the Exchequer over a technicality that many people skate over, if they can afford it.

The green card thing doesn’t strike me as a scandal at all, but it is a little weird. Mainly interesting for what he’s planning in terms of his career post-politics (and how soon he plans to move on).

It’s been taken away hasn’t it?

SBT

It’s been taken away hasn’t it?

According to his spokesperson:

“Upon his first trip to the US in a government capacity as chancellor, he discussed the appropriate course of action with the US authorities. At that point it was considered best to return his green card, which he did immediately."

Sounds to me like US immigration pulled him up on it during his last sojourn to Silicon Valley and basically told him to give it up. I’m not sure what the process is to revoke green cards (assuming there is one), but more often than not in this situation people just give them up.

stupot07

Nothing to see here.....

The Guardian has also discovered the Treasury last week brought in a new low tax scheme that is partly designed to benefit some wealthy non-dom investors – just days before Sunak’s national insurance rise hit millions of working people at the height of a cost of living crisis.

The new laws specifically mention fund manager non-doms as a category of people who can benefit by not having to pay tax on foreign earnings through the new vehicles.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Sky Blue Pete

The suggestion that she’s already paid tax on her dividends in India as a defence might be getting blown out of the water. Now being reported that she gets paid her dividends in Mauritius, which is a tax haven.

Person who pays £30K a year to avoid paying tax in uses other mechanisms to avoid paying tax shocker.
Selfish greedy bastards

But I only say that as I’m jealous and envious of their money

duffer

Let's be honest here for a moment.

The Tories know and we know, that the £350m was a flat out lie.

They know and we know that on that basis, it could never have gone to the NHS.

They know and we know that Boris has a long and storied history of lying.

And it turns out that his Chancellor is cut from the same cloth.
Nothing to see here.....

The Guardian has also discovered the Treasury last week brought in a new low tax scheme that is partly designed to benefit some wealthy non-dom investors – just days before Sunak’s national insurance rise hit millions of working people at the height of a cost of living crisis.

The new laws specifically mention fund manager non-doms as a category of people who can benefit by not having to pay tax on foreign earnings through the new vehicles.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Yep, things are really hard at the moment, so we'll all have to tighten our belts. Except for the very wealthy and Tory donors of course, it's business as usual for them.

fernandopartridge

from the independent

Last year she collected dividends of £11.5m from her estimated £700m stake in Infosys, the IT firm set up by her father, potentially saving around £4.5m in UK taxes through her non-dom status. She has previously stated that she “has always and will continue to pay UK taxes on all her UK income”.

I would argue this is misleading as it very much implies that she’s getting a net saving of £4.5m. This is not going to be the case and very likely she paid the Indian government taxes.
Who gives a fuck if she paid tax in India? It isn't the point at all that she pays tax at all its that she pays nothing here.

She's ironically benefiting from the non domiciled status which was designed for the imperialists who made their money out of her home country.

CCFCSteve

Who gives a fuck if she paid tax in India? It isn't the point at all that she pays tax at all its that she pays nothing here.

She's ironically benefiting from the non domiciled status which was designed for the imperialists who made their money out of her home country.

It is relevant though. I don’t agree with the domicile rules but if (and I still don’t know if this is the case) she has say paid dividend tax to India as an Indian citizen from money derived from an Indian company, it is very different from paying limited/no tax ie in a tax haven. I don’t know how much tax she pays here but it’s said she pays tax on any income earned in the UK so I don’t think it’s nothing, although I’d imagine main income is from Indian company

NorthernWisdom

It is relevant though. I don’t agree with the domicile rules but if (and I still don’t know if this is the case) she has say paid dividend tax to India as an Indian citizen from money derived from an Indian company, it is very different from paying limited/no tax ie in a tax haven. I don’t know how much tax she pays here but it’s said she pays tax on any income earned in the UK so I don’t think it’s nothing, although I’d imagine main income is from Indian company
It is. My main issue is that it's the chancellor's job to maximise the tax take for this country, and he and his family seem to be determined to do the opposite. It's somewhat different to an individual taking the rules to the limit, after all.

Wouldn't even be so bad if he was health secretary or something. Chancellor kind of rubs it in!

CCFCSteve

It is. My main issue is that it's the chancellor's job to maximise the tax take for this country, and he and his family seem to be determined to do the opposite. It's somewhat different to an individual taking the rules to the limit, after all.

Wouldn't even be so bad if he was health secretary or something. Chancellor kind of rubs it in!

I don’t disagree, it’s a bad look and probably done irreparable damage in terms of his political career. However there’s also been some intentionally confusing and vague commentary to make it sound as morally as bad as possible. I don’t know if it’s bad or not and am unlikely to unless they disclose all their tax affairs

Users who are viewing this thread