Royal Family (1 Viewer)

Malaka

Not looking forward to being bored by the Queen's birthday celebrations. I don't mind her but I don't have much time for the rest of them.
Does anyone else think that a monarchy is out dated? Are they more special than me because of who they were born to?
Personally, I don't think that anyone is better or worse than me I would get rid when Betty dies.

Nick

Administrator
I can't be arsed reading about them, like when they went to India or whereever recently.

"William and Kate have dinner"
"William and kate visit the beach"

Who cares, really?

lifeskyblue

Nicholas witchall (bbc royal correspondence) should be renamed Nicholas 'brown nose, brown head, brown torso, brown legged all but my ankles' witchall.
The royal family as an institution is outdated...why are we subjects not citizens? Why is a family that is so privileged in terms of wealth and opportunity set up as being better, more important etc than the rest of us?
I am a republican and would prefer any elected form of head of state...someone we could elect or someone we could vote out...not someone who gets the job based on what side of the sheets you were born or divine right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry Gibson's perm

That sun photographer Edwards is the ultimate brown noser, out dated bunch on inbread layabouts, that woman that William is married to makes me want to throw up

lifeskyblue

That sun photographer Edwards is the ultimate brown noser, out dated bunch on inbread layabouts, that woman that William is married to makes me want to throw up

Seems to me it's all about style over substance...looks good and smiles appears far more important than ability to change and improve the fortunes of the majority.

lifeskyblue

If he was elected...then even he. I would prefer an array of candidates from other walks of life than politics for what is in essence a figurehead and no more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry Gibson's perm

She has done well to get to ninety but she has hardly had the hardest life, eaten the best food, never had a massive amount of worry, had people to do most of the difficult things in life for her she should live to about 150.

rob9872

Looks like I'm the only one proud that we still have a monarchy then. I'll take the royals every day over some half baked celebrity from filmstars or Towie or Chelsea or Geordie or big brother etc or even dare I say footballer (who's football I watch and don't care who they shag and how much money they have). Great history is why we have a fantastic tourist industry and they are a huge part of it here and around the world.

Covstu

Looks like I'm the only one proud that we still have a monarchy then. I'll take the royals every day over some half baked celebrity from filmstars or Towie or Chelsea or Geordie or big brother etc or even dare I say footballer (who's football I watch and don't care who they shag and how much money they have). Great history is why we have a fantastic tourist industry and they are a huge part of it here and around the world.
Two of us rob! I can't quite out my finger on why I like having them there but I do. Maybe it makes us unique, it's still the envy of most countries including the states

rob9872

Welcome! ☺

Nick

Administrator

I am not too fussed about them.

You see Prince Harry on TV and he seems to be trying to do things he is passionate about like Invictus Games etc.

I just don't want to know every time they have a shit.

rob9872

I'm sure you'll all want a day off work when she eventually dies too

Otis

I am not too fussed about them.

You see Prince Harry on TV and he seems to be trying to do things he is passionate about like Invictus Games etc.

I just don't want to know every time they have a shit.
I have absolutely no interest in them whatsoever. Switch off anything and everything to do with them.

Think it is ridiculous that in the 21st century we still have kings and queens.

I suppose it's good to wheel them out for trade agreements and hand shaking though isn't it.

chiefdave

I'm by no stretch of the imagination a royalist but don't really have any desire to get rid of the monarchy either.

They do some good and must generate a fair amount of tourism.

CCFC88

Its like most things in life, If you have no interest in them don't read about them, dont write about them dont aknowledge them

They are easily avoidable, just turn that page of the newspaper, dont click on that link relating to them.

I personally think they do a great deal for our international relations and are a huge part of tourism in the UK, wether they warrant the publicity/cash they recieve is a different matter. I cant see them being gone in our lifetime so you just have to live around them.

Otis

Its like most things in life, If you have no interest in them don't read about them, dont write about them dont aknowledge them

They are easily avoidable, just turn that page of the newspaper, dont click on that link relating to them.

I personally think they do a great deal for our international relations and are a huge part of tourism in the UK, wether they warrant the publicity/cash they recieve is a different matter. I cant see them being gone in our lifetime so you just have to live around them.
Property is far too expensive in Pall Mall though, so I think I might just stay in Coventry.

Johnnythespider

Two of us rob! I can't quite out my finger on why I like having them there but I do. Maybe it makes us unique, it's still the envy of most countries including the states
I'm not really sure it's the envy of the world as most of it chose to be independent from the British crown. It's an outdated concept for me and I don't really buy the tourism thing as the history would still be there without the royals, most tourists come to see the buildings and historical sites without ever getting a glimpse of Kate's latest frock. I Would much prefer an elected head of state, but not necessarily a politician. I just can't get my head around the idea of someone being born with a silver spoon, also I think most supporters of the monarchy would probably like to skip Charles and go straight to William, so even they would like some say in who gets the throne.

Otis

I'm by no stretch of the imagination a royalist but don't really have any desire to get rid of the monarchy either.

They do some good and must generate a fair amount of tourism.
Yeah. It's such a shame they get less tourism in Paris and Rome due to not having a monarchy isn't it. ;)

Otis

The most detailed reports put the net effect of the Royal Family at £1.5bn.
And if they weren't there and the public got complete and total free access to the whole of Buckingham Palace and Windsor etc?

How much would that be worth?

Grendel

And if they weren't there and the public got complete and total free access to the whole of Buckingham Palace and Windsor etc?

The cost is far less than an elected upper chamber and president.

I'm no royalist of the model we have but there is zero financial argument to apply.

Otis

The cost is far less than an elected upper chamber and president.

I'm no royalist of the model we have but there is zero financial argument to apply.
Well that's a different argument.

Can be argued that if the royals went and all the royal palaces and houses were fully open to the public, that tourism if anything would increase, due to being allowed access to previously totally private areas.

chiefdave

Can be argued that if the royals went and all the royal palaces and houses were fully open to the public, that tourism if anything would increase, due to being allowed access to previously totally private areas.

Initially I suspect you are correct but over time that would change as they would become no more significant that other historical buildings.

Johnnythespider

Yes, and if we had them all stuffed and put on display at Tussauds imagine the queues of people willing to shell out for a look.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Can't stand the bloody Royal Family and the Queen! I never voted for her!
(Plus, I'm Irish Catholic!!) ;)

Grendel

Well that's a different argument.

Well it can't really as the they actually own much if the land, many of the properties and many Duchies.

mrtrench

It made me laugh a couple of days ago when William responded to criticism that he hasn't been doing many royal engagements. His response was that he was concentrating on his job as being a father. In other words, 5 years paid paternity leave. Nice work if you can get it.

EDIT: Can you please let me know the next time the job of Prince of Cornwall comes up? I'm thinking of applying.

Covstu

I'm not really sure it's the envy of the world as most of it chose to be independent from the British crown. It's an outdated concept for me and I don't really buy the tourism thing as the history would still be there without the royals, most tourists come to see the buildings and historical sites without ever getting a glimpse of Kate's latest frock. I Would much prefer an elected head of state, but not necessarily a politician. I just can't get my head around the idea of someone being born with a silver spoon, also I think most supporters of the monarchy would probably like to skip Charles and go straight to William, so even they would like some say in who gets the throne.

So we pass it over to a public school boy? Haven't we got enough of them in parliament?

Sick Boy

Having a monarchy in 2016 further encourages the continuation of the British class system. For those who claim that other countries are jealous, you couldn't be further away from the truth; why do you think so many expelled or executed their royal family?

Grendel

Having a monarchy in 2016 further encourages the continuation of the British class system. For those who claim that other countries are jealous, you couldn't be further away from the truth; why do you think so many expelled or executed their royal family?

Do the Scandavians have a class system? I don't see it in Spain at all any more than Italy.

Russia has a very defined class structure.

skybluetony176

The Danish are very proud of their royal family and very much see them as something to be celebrated. That much I do know.

Macca

Fairly apathetic to be fair, it is pretty outdated but there are other things that bother me more. There are stranger things like people being paid the value of my house every week for kicking a football

Users who are viewing this thread