Royal Family (1 Viewer)

LastGarrison

Having a monarchy in 2016 further encourages the continuation of the British class system. For those who claim that other countries are jealous, you couldn't be further away from the truth; why do you think so many expelled or executed their royal family?

I wouldn't say jealous but in my experience there is some real love out there for our Royal Family and it does fascinate people from overseas.

Also, in my experience our class system is no-where near as bad as other countries such as Kuwait, India, Thailand etc.

martcov

I think the Queen does a great job and Charles will have a hard act to follow. Looking at some presidents and presidential candidates ( e.g. Trump, Palin, Clinton etc) I think we should stick with our System - what you see is what you get. Could drop the Defender of the Faith bit and the House of Lords though - definately out of date and not fit for purpose.

Samo

I'm a republican, but I do wish her a a happy birthday. No contradiction there for me.

lifeskyblue

I think the Queen does a great job and Charles will have a hard act to follow. Looking at some presidents and presidential candidates ( e.g. Trump, Palin, Clinton etc) I think we should stick with our System - what you see is what you get. Could drop the Defender of the Faith bit and the House of Lords though - definately out of date and not fit for purpose.

The problem is it's all part of the same package...do away with it all I say

CJ_covblaze

I'm a Royalist and am proud to be one of her 'subjects' but I do agree that they get shoved in our faces too often. So much so that when there's a special occasion it falls into insignificance for some who just think "here they are again". Tbf to them mostly it's the media and I'd imagine they just want to be left on their own to go to the shops or to the pub.

lifeskyblue

Remember until recently the queen didn't pay tax...one of the wealthiest women in the country. On top of that we pay a fortune for them from maids and chauffeurs, through p.a and equerrys etc: obscene, immoral, unjustifiable in the 21st century

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CJ_covblaze

Remember until recently the queen didn't pay tax...one of the wealthiest women in the country. On top of that we pay a fortune for them from maids and chauffeurs, through p.a and equerrys etc: obscene, immoral, unjustifiable in the 21st century

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cost of having a Royal Family is around £35m per year. Around a pound per tax payer. Not bad really. However the revenue paid to the state by the Royal Family is at least £250m a year so they don't actually cost us anything and they're bringing in £1bn every 4 or 5 years.

Liquid Gold

I don't care about the opinions of people in other countries or other royal families or the economic benefits. In my view it's quite simply wrong in the 21st century that a person can be born into a life of privilege and grandeur simple because they were born to a certain family. I used to be unsure on the issue because of various reasons but it must simply come down to what is right.

These people are not better than you, they didn't come out of a gilded vagina, make them suffer like the rest of us.

Steve.B50

Not looking forward to being bored by the Queen's birthday celebrations. I don't mind her but I don't have much time for the rest of them.
Does anyone else think that a monarchy is out dated? Are they more special than me because of who they were born to?
Personally, I don't think that anyone is better or worse than me I would get rid when Betty dies.

everyone has there own views.
I enjoyed yesterday the coverage on tv was great.
Yes I am a loyalist, the Queen is our head of state and she had my full respect and long may she live.

Its St. Georges day tomorrow and I will be wearing my Rose with pride.

Steve.B50

I don't care about the opinions of people in other countries or other royal families or the economic benefits. In my view it's quite simply wrong in the 21st century that a person can be born into a life of privilege and grandeur simple because they were born to a certain family. I used to be unsure on the issue because of various reasons but it must simply come down to what is right.

These people are not better than you, they didn't come out of a gilded vagina, make them suffer like the rest of us.

We suffer like most as we are City fans.

Liquid Gold

The cost of having a Royal Family is around £35m per year. Around a pound per tax payer. Not bad really. However the revenue paid to the state by the Royal Family is at least £250m a year so they don't actually cost us anything and they're bringing in £1bn every 4 or 5 years.

The question is though if normal people (who couldn't hide their assents abroad) owned the assets they do what would the value be for the treasury then?

oakey

The OP misses the point. The current hoohah is not about the family, of which most of us care very little. It is about the monarch, who even her critics acknowledge has been an admirable Head of state for 64 years. She is no better than any of us, she is not meant to be. She is a figurehead, a representative of the people, of no importance in her own right but of great importance as representing the nation.
I, for one, think we are far better with such a monarch, than all those faceless republics who nobody can distinguish from one another. Go anywhere in the world and they know who the British queen is. Can you say the same for any other nation's leader?

lifeskyblue

£35million doesn't even cover security for Royal family

Nick

Administrator
For some reason, news apps on my phone have sent me alerts to say price George has met obama.... Like that's news

dutchman

In my view it's quite simply wrong in the 21st century that a person can be born into a life of privilege and grandeur simple because they were born to a certain family.

Whereas 'democratically elected' leaders like Cameron, Osborne and Johnson weren't?

article-2407406-1B8A4305000005DC-25_634x489.jpg

CJ_covblaze

Samo

I'm a republican and I object to being forced to pay for the lifestyles of people who were not elected.

chiefdave

I'm a republican and I object to being forced to pay for the lifestyles of people who were not elected.

This isn't a flippant question but would you rather not have a royal family but pay more tax to offset the £1.2bn a year loss of income?

Samo

This isn't a flippant question but would you rather not have a royal family but pay more tax to offset the £1.2bn a year loss of income?

Where did you get that figure from Dave? But yes.

Terry Gibson's perm

Plenty to debate in that 'valuation'. For example; given that very few tourists meet the royal family, what is counted as 'royal' tourism? A visit to The Tower of London? Or Buck Palace? Would that tourism dry up overnight?
But still yes.

how much would be made if Buckingham palace turned into a hotel all these tourists would want to stop there.

Sick Boy

Hand the Royal buildings over to the people and turn them into museums for tourists to waste their cash in.

Users who are viewing this thread