Sarah Everard (5 Viewers)

Sky Blue Pete

The evidence is out there that his behaviour is morally suspect but not necessarily strong enough to secure a criminal conviction so guess instead of sacking him they'll sell him
Sure but ched evans Marlon king Lee Hughes. Should people be allowed a profession??

Sky Blue Pete

Lee Hughes actually killed somebody.
Sorry the point was not whether they did or didn’t do things wrong but there are examples of footballers who one may find morally reprehensible but should that mean they shouldn’t have a profession. Sorry

NorthernWisdom

Sure but ched evans Marlon king Lee Hughes. Should people be allowed a profession??
Ultimately yes, especially if they've been found not guilty / not been brought to trial... and even if they've been released and shown some kind of remorse.

But there are some very uncomfortable cases, aren't there. On the one hand if he wasn't a footballer, and had a lower profile, he might have a fighting chance of getting on with his life. On the other hand, it's only because he's quite good as a footballer that people would have him in the dressing room. He's innocent, has to be treated as such, but also clearly morally dubious at best.

Sky Blue Pete

Ultimately yes, especially if they've been found not guilty / not been brought to trial... and even if they've been released and shown some kind of remorse.

But there are some very uncomfortable cases, aren't there. On the one hand if he wasn't a footballer, and had a lower profile, he might have a fighting chance of getting on with his life. On the other hand, it's only because he's quite good as a footballer that people would have him in the dressing room. He's innocent, has to be treated as such, but also clearly morally dubious at best.
Yeah and the Reality for many criminals is they’re rightly or wrongly paying for their crimes in the job market way after they’ve served their punishment for their crimes. Especially persons convicted of a sexual offence

rob9872

Yeah and the Reality for many criminals is they’re rightly or wrongly paying for their crimes in the job market way after they’ve served their punishment for their crimes. Especially persons convicted of a sexual offence
Good!

fernandopartridge

People if they are to be rehabilitated should be allowed to work yes. However, i'd question whether football is the right profession given the influence footballers can have on young people. That said, Ronaldo was welcomed back with open arms so Greenwood will be.

Nick

Administrator
Sorry the point was not whether they did or didn’t do things wrong but there are examples of footballers who one may find morally reprehensible but should that mean they shouldn’t have a profession. Sorry

It depends on the job though, surely?

shmmeee

Yes. If they’re safe have them out and monitored if you want, if they’re not lock em up. I don’t see what taking someone’s job is supposed to do. Surely if anything it makes reoffending more likely?

shmmeee

People if they are to be rehabilitated should be allowed to work yes. However, i'd question whether football is the right profession given the influence footballers can have on young people. That said, Ronaldo was welcomed back with open arms so Greenwood will be.

Im sure there’s some kids that look up to accountants. Where’s the line?

NorthernWisdom

Im sure there’s some kids that look up to accountants. Where’s the line?
It does depend how. King signing for us does and did make me feel very uncomfortable because he refused to accept he'd done anything wrong, the manager tried to bully people with concerns, and some fans hero worshipped a sex offender before he'd even kicked a ball for us - all because we were desperate for a striker. That's not a good message to send out. Likewise, Evans is making me very uncomfortable. If we accept he was in fact unfairly convicted (and the law says so) it's still been done in a rather distasteful way with no real self awareness of his own behaviour. Football's rather more high profile than accountancy, and a generally accepted part of a footballer's job is a spot of community work, including to schools and / or around schoolchildren from time to time. Where's the example being set from somebody who learns nothing and gets success and fame despite being a bit of a c**t?

Take away the local aspect, and I'm more comfortable with Lee Hughes, who at least paid lip service to regret for his actions.

There is a very positive message that can come out of somebody who's done wrong turning their life around, being an example of how to change and how to wish they hadn't done what they'd done. Football often goes for the amoral approach though - if you can score goals, you're in - we'd have hired Shipman if he could have headed a few goals in from corners... and just look at Jamie Allen!

shmmeee

It does depend how. King signing for us does and did make me feel very uncomfortable because he refused to accept he'd done anything wrong, the manager tried to bully people with concerns, and some fans hero worshipped a sex offender before he'd even kicked a ball for us - all because we were desperate for a striker. That's not a good message to send out. Likewise, Evans is making me very uncomfortable. If we accept he was in fact unfairly convicted (and the law says so) it's still been done in a rather distasteful way with no real self awareness of his own behaviour. Football's rather more high profile than accountancy, and a generally accepted part of a footballer's job is a spot of community work, including to schools and / or around schoolchildren from time to time. Where's the example being set from somebody who learns nothing and gets success and fame despite being a bit of a c**t?

Take away the local aspect, and I'm more comfortable with Lee Hughes, who at least paid lip service to regret for his actions.

There is a very positive message that can come out of somebody who's done wrong turning their life around, being an example of how to change and how to wish they hadn't done what they'd done. Football often goes for the amoral approach though - if you can score goals, you're in - we'd have hired Shipman if he could have headed a few goals in from corners... and just look at Jamie Allen!

Im not sure it’s a workplaces place to punish criminals TBH or what good ostracising them does in the long run.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Being drunk doesn’t make people abusive and neither does sport or family holidays. Really it’s about a personality type and whether they think they can get away with it. Something I was reading made a good point which is that these men wouldn’t fight a policeman or their boss because they know there would be consequences and similarly wouldn’t abuse their wife at a party. It’s because at home against someone they view as controllable they think they can get away with it. Alcohol or football might make those men more likely to offend but it’s the men that are the problem. Male aggression and entitlement over women is a much harder problem to solve than beer or footy though. And if we need other men on the lookout and policing I’m not sure punishing everyone with seemingly silly rules is productive.
Not sure I agree with that.

While I agree the propensity to be aggressive is going to there anyway, I've known a few people who could control it while sober but not when drunk. Normally pleasant people who when drunk would be shouting abuse and even trying to pick the odd fight. I found it hard to believe they were the same people.

Hertsccfc

Not sure I agree with that.

While I agree the propensity to be aggressive is going to there anyway, I've known a few people who could control it while sober but not when drunk. Normally pleasant people who when drunk would be shouting abuse and even trying to pick the odd fight. I found it hard to believe they were the same people.
Agree with that and I have also known of cases of domestic violence heavily associated with alcoholism.

Other than that point I agree with Shmmeee was saying though.

stay_up_skyblues

This is the type of offender/offence I don’t believe can be rehabilitated. There’s a defect in there akin to someone who gets kicks from sadistic killing. It should be a life sentence or just fuck them off onto a nonce island or something. But here we release him early.

Sky Blue Pete

This is the type of offender/offence I don’t believe can be rehabilitated. There’s a defect in there akin to someone who gets kicks from sadistic killing. It should be a life sentence or just fuck them off onto a nonce island or something. But here we release him early.
The evidence shows that they absolutely can. The evidence also suggests that a predilection to an attraction to young boys or girls cannot be removed but many people live and breathe amongst us who have desires and passions for things that would be criminal if they acted upon them.
So in the same way as many of us think about doing criminal things that’s absolutely possible for people who’ve been convicted of a criminal offence.
Then it’s all about dealing with risk

Sick Boy

There’s a joke in Singapore that if you go on the beach and leave your Breitling watch and a towel they won’t even dare pinch the towel
It’s probably accurate - I had a restaurant owner chase me down the street after I left something like a €2 coin on the table

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Not sure where to put this, but this Nicola Bulley case is a bit odd isn't it? It is giving me Sarah Everard vibes a little bit. Not to say it was police officer, but moreover that a third party was involved.

When they said she might have fallen in the river, I was expecting it to be some sort of wild river rapids that swept her under and away, but having seen the river now, it looks like a small, flat, mill pond. It's bizarre.

NorthernWisdom

Not sure where to put this, but this Nicola Bulley case is a bit odd isn't it? It is giving me Sarah Everard vibes a little bit. Not to say it was police officer, but moreover that a third party was involved.

When they said she might have fallen in the river, I was expecting it to be some sort of wild river rapids that swept her under and away, but having seen the river now, it looks like a small, flat, mill pond. It's bizarre.
I won't do speculation as it's unfair but... I have a theory. We'll see if I'm right. Chances are I won't be of course(!) but yeah, all odd that someone can just disappear, yet they're certain no crime committed. I guess people do find the pressure of life a bit much and just walk off too, but...

clint van damme

Bit weird how family and friends very publicly dismissed the police theory straight away.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Bit weird how family and friends very publicly dismissed the police theory straight away.

The search and rescue guys are really excellent in what they do, and they are saying they would have found her already if she was in the water. Hard to argue with that when you see what type of water body it is as well, which is where I presume the family are coming from considering they've said she was a decent swimmer (regardless of factoring water temperature).

I looked at a case from about 15/20 years ago in New Zealand when I was a student, and in that case someone had attacked a woman and buried her somewhere else in the vicinity with similar timelines and a rural location like this. Historically there are other similar incidents too, so unfortunately I'm feeling like this could be the same.

@NorthernWisdom I think speculation on here is relatively harmless for what it is worth, perhaps not so much on open social media etc where her family might see it, or people might get influenced. She is a mother of two at the end of the day and it must be horrendous what they are all going through. That said, if the outside world start flicking through SBT then we're all screwed!

Saddlebrains

Il throw it out the theorys ive seen online:

1. The husbands business was in financial shite and a Shannon Matthews style fundraiser was put together on JustGiving for 100k last night to 'find Nicola' but was removed after backlash

2. The Husband and the sister were at it, Nicola found out, then somethings happened off the back of that.

3. The path leads back to a copper and last thing the police need is another dirty one in public

My personal theory is that someone else was involved, you don't just disappear. Too many weird things, the phone left on the bench, dog harness off, dog distressed etc. If she had gone into the water, no way would the dog be bone dry and distressed like it apparently was when found.

I don't think she's in the water either

wingy

Likewise also chilling what happened to the head at Epsom College. Killed by her husband who then turned the gun on their daughter and himself.
Yep another sounds like he was out and and didn't like it.
She'd been on the phone to a family member not to long before.

Users who are viewing this thread