Sarah Everard (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Head’s totally gone here. Plenty of countries who have already done away with journalism and the free press if they piss you off that much, by the way - which one would you pick?

he’d have a shock when he decides to go on strike

Brighton Sky Blue

I’d rather stay private tbh. What are you trying to prove? I assume you think the world would be a better place if I (and most of my colleagues) were on the dole and ChatGPT did our jobs instead?
Pretty much-save for the very small number who carry out groundbreaking investigative work. Why hire someone to write what can be done just as well by a machine?

I'm no great advocate for the teaching profession either seeing as I'm actively trying to leave.

Brighton Sky Blue

he’d have a shock when he decides to go on strike
Bad play that-we already have some of the toughest anti strike laws in the West. And as you know a single person can't unilaterally withdraw their labour without expecting to be sacked shortly after.

Did I say I want the freedom of the press removed-no. Did I say ChatGPT could easily replace 99% of journalists-yes.

Grendel

Bad play that-we already have some of the toughest anti strike laws in the West. And as you know a single person can't unilaterally withdraw their labour without expecting to be sacked shortly after.

Did I say I want the freedom of the press removed-no. Did I say ChatGPT could easily replace 99% of journalists-yes.

you wouldn’t be allowed to strike in Germany could you as a teacher?

SBT

Did I say ChatGPT could easily replace 99% of journalists-yes.
This is just a laughable claim - you surely don’t believe this? What do you actually read? I’ve no idea where this spite has come from, especially from someone who supposedly values education.

SBT

Btw - not sure if @Nick or whoever can move this stuff to its own thread, because it’s an interesting debate but really off-topic for this thread.

Brighton Sky Blue

you wouldn’t be allowed to strike in Germany could you as a teacher?
No, but teachers in Germany have far better working conditions than ones here, so industrial action isn't needed in the first place. There are also of course considerably different rules on collective bargaining and union recognition. Thrilling discussion but irrelevant.
This is just a laughable claim - you surely don’t believe this? What do you actually read? I’ve no idea where this spite has come from, especially from someone who supposedly values education.
There is some spite on my part for how low some parts of the profession go to muck rake and find dirt on people, as it has done with the case at Epsom College. In other respects it's just people catering for their paper/radio station/TV station's audience or writing factual pieces which an AI could do just as well.

If you're one of the few carrying out groundbreaking investigations that shine a light on wrongdoers, good for you.

SBT

There is some spite on my part for how low some parts of the profession go to muck rake and find dirt on people, as it has done with the case at Epsom College. In other respects it's just people catering for their paper/radio station/TV station's audience or writing factual pieces which an AI could do just as well.

If you're one of the few carrying out groundbreaking investigations that shine a light on wrongdoers, good for you.
I’m sure there will be a day when AI can do my job as well as (if not considerably better than) me, and there won’t be much I can do about it, but that day is quite clearly not today, and it’s silly (and in your case, seemingly quite petty) to suggest otherwise. You don’t sound like someone with much knowledge of either AI’s current capabilities, or what “99% of journalists” actually do with their time - most likely both.

I certainly don’t consider myself to be a groundbreaking journalist, just as I highly doubt you’re a groundbreaking teacher, but since when was that a prerequisite for either of our careers to be worthwhile?

Brighton Sky Blue

I’m sure there will be a day when AI can do my job as well as (if not considerably better than) me, and there won’t be much I can do about it, but that day is quite clearly not today, and it’s silly (and in your case, seemingly quite petty) to suggest otherwise. You don’t sound like someone with much knowledge of either AI’s current capabilities, or what “99% of journalists” actually do with their time - most likely both.

I certainly don’t consider myself to be a groundbreaking journalist, just as I highly doubt you’re a groundbreaking teacher, but since when was that a prerequisite for either of our careers to be worthwhile?
I didn't say it currently can-just that the day will come when it does.

wingy

Well you said it would be “easily” done - is that based on anything other than your personal grudge against the parts of the gutter/tabloid press which you seem to think make up almost the entire industry?
Take it somewhere else it's way off topic.

Grendel

Take it somewhere else it's way off topic.

it sort of is but I suppose you could argue the press involvement in the Bulley case and press investigation into Met corruption have raided heightened awareness of these issues as oppose to just a bland script read out on state sponsored news

skybluetony176

MET conveniently have no record of why the appealed the decision not to charge Caroline Flack -
Sort of beggars belief when you see what the Met have let slide. I’m not saying that she didn’t deserve punishment, no place for domestic violence regardless of which sex the perpetrator is, but a caution would have been the appropriate response in the case especially as her partner didn’t want to press charges. Let’s face it in all likely hood even a caution probably would have ended her TV career so it’s not like she wasn’t facing further consequences. Can’t help but feel that if this had have been a male TV personality or a man in the public eye this would have been treated differently. Rod Liddle being a case that instantly springs to mind, assaulted his pregnant girlfriend, admitted it, got a caution and still had a career.

Grendel

Sort of beggars belief when you see what the Met have let slide. I’m not saying that she didn’t deserve punishment, no place for domestic violence regardless of which sex the perpetrator is, but a caution would have been the appropriate response in the case especially as her partner didn’t want to press charges. Let’s face it in all likely hood even a caution probably would have ended her TV career so it’s not like she wasn’t facing further consequences. Can’t help but feel that if this had have been a male TV personality or a man in the public eye this would have been treated differently. Rod Liddle being a case that instantly springs to mind, assaulted his pregnant girlfriend, admitted it, got a caution and still had a career.

John Leslie?

Grendel

I brought up Kirsty Allsop because a father posted on twitter a post almost identical to Shmmees about what do you tell your daughters about the police now and that was her response.
If that response had been from anyone I would have hilighted it and the trigger fordoingso was how similar Shmmeees post and the one onTwitter were.

Allsop has lost her job on location at last. Astute is now presenting with Phil.

His first challenge is to find a mansion with a room the size of a football pitch for a young couple with a £50 grand budget.

clint van damme

Allsop has lost her job on location at last. Astute is now presenting with Phil.

His first challenge is to find a mansion with a room the size of a football pitch for a young couple with a £50 grand budget.

Can't believe you've dug out a post from 2021 to take the piss out of a post over 2 years later on a different thread, great stuff!

Grendel

Can't believe you've dug out a post from 2021 to take the piss out of a post over 2 years later on a different thread, great stuff!

Its the first Allsop reference I could see

Phil is practicing how to say “what you got Astuterls”

stay_up_skyblues

The evidence shows that they absolutely can. The evidence also suggests that a predilection to an attraction to young boys or girls cannot be removed but many people live and breathe amongst us who have desires and passions for things that would be criminal if they acted upon them.
So in the same way as many of us think about doing criminal things that’s absolutely possible for people who’ve been convicted of a criminal offence.
Then it’s all about dealing with risk

Can we just leave him in there this time 🤔

Grendel

Users who are viewing this thread