Shame on you Coventry Telegraph (1 Viewer)

mark_ccfc

Looks to me like the Coventry Telegraph have set out their stall.

They are firmly behind the 'sell the Ricoh to SISU at a snip' idea - no doubt driven by Mr Reid.

Totally disagree with this - giving in to demands by a hedge fund - thin end of the wedge. Also the last seven headlines under the 'Ricoh Arena Row' have been either promoting the idea of selling the Ricoh, or pressure on the council. Not a mention of the fact that there was a poll indicating most people don't want to sell to SISU and not a dicky bird about Coventry City being discussed in Parliament.

So much for unbiased reporting.

Shame on you Coventry telegraph!

Nick

Administrator
What have they done now? Have they said the words sell it to them at a snip or sell it to them?

It is a bit strange nothing has been said about Bob though. (Unless it just isn't on the website yet)

Nick

Administrator
That is quite bad, they have put other articles in the past about him on there. I must admit I don't tend to bother with it much any more, the website is too hard to use :(

Changeyourface

Most people don't want to see the club own a stadium in the city? Strange, would they rather we carry on playing in Northampton?

mark_ccfc

Headline:-

"Could Ricoh Arena be sold to Coventry City owners Sisu for £7m?"

Phrased as a question rather than a statement admittedly but still trying to 'ease' the idea into people's subconscious.

As for not mentioning Parliament - I rest my case.

Nick

Administrator
I think you are looking for something that isn't there!

I think you might be right. Haven't the CET done a lot of digging of SISU on the past and reported it? Although never gone mega deep they have still said stuff negative to SISU.

It could be that SISU have taken over the Telegraph in a bit to change people's views or they have hacked Les Reid's accounts and taken him hostage?

mark_ccfc

Most people don't want to see the club own a stadium in the city? Strange, would they rather we carry on playing in Northampton?

That is a bit simplistic isn't it - do you not know the history of all of this or are you trying to wind people up?

If SISU had come along and bought the club and stadium for a fair price initially nobody would have been happier than me.

However to come along, buy the club, lie to the fans, sell off the clubs assets and half decent players, get them demoted, fail to pay the rent, take the club away from the city and then expect to be given the stadium for peanuts.

Well I think you will find that's another story altogether.

Nick

Administrator
That is a bit simplistic isn't it - do you not know the history of all of this or are you trying to wind people up?

If SISU had come along and bought the club and stadium for a fair price initially nobody would have been happier than me.

However to come along, buy the club, lie to the fans, sell off the clubs assets and half decent players, get them demoted, fail to pay the rent, take the club away from the city and then expect to be given the stadium for peanuts.

Well I think you will find that's another story altogether.

Sometimes it can be simplistic. So if you don't want them to buy the stadium then what other option would you like to get them back?

Do you not want them to buy the stadium because they will charge rent and the club won't own it? Is the alternative to rent off ACL and not own it?

mark_ccfc

I think you are looking for something that isn't there!

Don't think so - I have never been a fan of the X-files anyway!

I personally think that Les Reid has a strong influence at the telegraph and he genuinely thinks the way forward is to give in to Joy Sepalla's demands for the freehold of the Ricoh. Despite the poll suggesting that the majority of people would not like this the prevalent headlines seem to reflect Les's views rather than that f their readership - which I think is wrong.

dongonzalos

What have they done now? Have they said the words sell it to them at a snip or sell it to them?

It is a bit strange nothing has been said about Bob though. (Unless it just isn't on the website yet)

Oops someone else eating waffles
I suspect there are quite a few who have noticed this campaign

dongonzalos

I think you might be right. Haven't the CET done a lot of digging of SISU on the past and reported it? Although never gone mega deep they have still said stuff negative to SISU.

It could be that SISU have taken over the Telegraph in a bit to change people's views or they have hacked Les Reid's accounts and taken him hostage?

They used OSB's digging after trying to fob off BSB when he kept informing them about the manoeuvres of AVRO.

Then eventually they did a two page spread on OSB's work as their exclusive in my humble opinion.

mark_ccfc

Sometimes it can be simplistic. So if you don't want them to buy the stadium then what other option would you like to get them back?

Do you not want them to buy the stadium because they will charge rent and the club won't own it? Is the alternative to rent off ACL and not own it?

Nick,

There is nothing simplistic about this situation!

I don't pretend to have all the answers, and although I am strongly anti-sisu I am in no way pro ACL/CCC either as they have some of the blame to carry too. I would like to see a new rent deal at the Ricoh - some kind of sliding scale, I think it is right that at least some pressure needs to go on the council, I think they may have already realised that their previous rent agreement was unworkable, and they need to know that other people think that too.

However SISU are on another plane when it comes to blame for this. They are a unique combination of Arrogance, incompetence and aggression, I want to see the back of them so CCFC can start again.

At the moment SISU are struggling as they did not expect the boycott of the games to be so strong. I don't think they can realistically plan for a new stadium while there is no sizeable fanbase. If the Judicial review goes against them in November they will have no choice but to either sell or liquidate the club or seek out a new rental deal with ACL. The Judicial Review is the pivotal point in my mind.

torchomatic

I said on another thread yesterday that if the column inches of each story didn't match then there would be Les Reid SISU Puppet Fever. And I was right.

Moff

I said on another thread yesterday that is the column inches of each story didn't match then there would be Les Reid SISU Puppet Fever. And I Was right.

Is like that like Red Fever, except he comes out in little red blotches which read 'SISU apologist' on them ;)

bigfatronssba

Do have to wonder what Les Reid's angle is on this. What was the point of his 'opinion piece' the other week?

Yes journalists often give their opinion on news items, but this is a very divisive topic, which he risks alienating himself from a large number of his readers.

As he doesn't support Ccfc (Everton fan I understand), you have to question why he feels so personally strong about this?

He would be much better sticking to just reporting and keeping his opinions to himself.

To get himself involved in this debate suggests a severe lack of judgement IMO.

lordsummerisle

Headline:-

"Could Ricoh Arena be sold to Coventry City owners Sisu for £7m?"

Phrased as a question rather than a statement admittedly but still trying to 'ease' the idea into people's subconscious.

As for not mentioning Parliament - I rest my case.

Didn't that £7million figure come from Ainsworth yesterday in Parliament?

Something along the lines of "Some fans told me that Sisu want the Ricoh for £7million" or something?

Some fans thought that Andy Thorn was a great manager, and 99 percent of fans thought that Sisu were the best thing since sliced bread when they took over.

Moff

Do have to wonder what Les Reid's angle is on this. What was the point of his 'opinion piece' the other week?

Yes journalists often give their opinion on news items, but this is a very divisive topic, which he risks alienating himself from a large number of his readers.

As he doesn't support Ccfc (Everton fan I understand), you have to question why he feels so personally strong about this?

He would be much better sticking to just reporting and keeping his opinions to himself.

To get himself involved in this debate suggests a severe lack of judgement IMO.

Yes his deabte didnt help, but maybe he is trying to cover this great crock of sh*t that is CCFC from every perceivable angle?

skybluepete1987

Have to agree that the Telegraph seem to be avoiding some of the current issues and not following up key aspects of the story and fans feelings:

1) The eight week stadium target was missed, last week the extended four week announcement timescale was missed - not followed up or mentioned. SISU have justified their actions with the promise of a new stadium, yet they've missed two deadlines and aren't being held to account by the publication which obtained those statements.
2) The results of the poll showing that two thirds of respondents do not want to sell the Ricoh to SISU just to return the club to Coventry, a key point in any negotiations that the Get Cov Back to the Ricoh campaign are calling for.

dongonzalos

Les feels the council should sell the Ricoh.

This does not seem to be a popular opinion for various reasons. Yet because of who he is, we have had two very lengthy articles pushing this campaign.

The second of which added no further journalist value to the first so why publish it? It was a total rehash of everything that has already been published.

Then the poll was requested, people took time to participate. Now it has been ignored.

Publish the results discuss them, strengths and weaknesses.

Is the petition full proof, can it be manipulated sabotaged?

If it can why have the results been published, under the line 800 people have signed it in just 4 days.

( this is about 5% of Cov fans) yet it has a positive slant.

How about the headline after 4 days 95% of Cov fans have still not signed a petition to pressure the council to sell the Ricoh to SISU.

How many people took part in the poll in 4 days?

torchomatic

He said "SISU's fans".

Didn't that £7million figure come from Ainsworth yesterday in Parliament?

Something along the lines of "Some fans told me that Sisu want the Ricoh for £7million" or something?

Some fans thought that Andy Thorn was a great manager, and 99 percent of fans thought that Sisu were the best thing since sliced bread when they took over.

:claping hands::claping hands::claping hands:

They are firmly behind the 'sell the Ricoh to SISU at a snip' idea - no doubt driven by Mr Reid.

Totally disagree with this - giving in to demands by a hedge fund - thin end of the wedge. Also the last seven headlines under the 'Ricoh Arena Row' have been either promoting the idea of selling the Ricoh, or pressure on the council. Not a mention of the fact that there was a poll indicating most people don't want to sell to SISU and not a dicky bird about Coventry City being discussed in Parliament.

CCFC

I agree that the CT has a strangely imbalanced reporting method. When you read the articles they contain what appear to be facts and these seem on the face of it balanced. But whilst recently the emphasis has been on being critical of CCC/ACL and really lenient on SISU For example the head line stating.....
Sky Blues fans' campaign group set to abandon ‘Jimmy’s Hill’ protests outside Sixfields

had in the text the statement........

Michael Orton, co-ordinator for the Keep Cov In Cov/Not One Penny More campaign, has sent an email to members, suggesting the usual ‘Jimmy’s Hill’ protest is scrapped for the next Sixfields ‘home’ game against Sheffield United on October 13

So not being abandoned, suspended for 1 game.

Then there was

Could Ricoh Arena be sold to Coventry City owners Sisu for £7m?

In that article which contained a reasonable balance of facts was presented and read to me as an 'Essay to persuade' those not close to the facts, that the sale would be good value at £7 million (Explaining that the stadium did not really Cost £118 million to provide) and started to promote the new splinter group that wanted to redress the imbalance of protest and encourage protest against the CCC/ACL It also had the poll at the end asking should the stadium be sold to SISU. Having just checked its current 66% say no, don't sell it to SISU. Why was the poll taken if they are not going to use the data? and why was this not placed against the on line poll to get City back in Coventry (The give it to SISU campaign) the CT are promoting the web site.

Of course I am being just over sensitive to how things are reported as I am anti SISU and Les is of course perfectly balanced and impartial.

O and I could only count 35 outside the CH yesterday.:facepalm:

dongonzalos

Have to say the idea of a protest outside the telegraph offices, where are they now,no longer in the city I assume.

Protest outside the council house

Protest outside SISU's offices

And a protest outside sixfields

Seems to be the way we are heading

aty6uvym.jpg

torchomatic

So how do the comments from Lucas about the local media yesterday sit with you? Must put you in a bit of a quandary.

Shame on you Coventry telegraph!

hill83

This all just sounds like more stuff to moan about and more Mrs Marple shenanigans to me.

torchomatic

It is, Hill. It is.

SkyBlueCharlie

[QUOTE O and I could only count 35 outside the CH yesterday.[/QUOTE]

And some of those were taking part in a totally different protest against the West Midlands Employees Pension Fund's investment policy!

mark_ccfc

So how do the comments from Lucas about the local media yesterday sit with you? Must put you in a bit of a quandary.

Why should that put me in a quandary? Let's face it the press are biased enough without being goaded by the council, imagine what would happen if she slagged them off.

bezzer

and I could only count 35 outside the CH yesterday.:facepalm:

How many were protesting outside SISU headquarters?

How many were on the hill last night?

It's all getting a bit silly now.

What next? Hill protesters saying they have bigger knobs the Council House protesters!!

FFS we all support the same team!

Users who are viewing this thread