Shareholder's meeting. (1 Viewer)

wince

IF Coventry could get 10000 away fans in they would

AndreasB

Whats the amount of away fans got to do with it , money is money , that's what all clubs exist for ,what a stupid thing to say

quite a lot. We filled the Ricoh TWICE, yep twice. We couldnt even sell out the first game (with a capacity of 23k) 15k would be a sustainable and stabilizing target - whats the point of having an average gate of 11,000 and then 32,000 once a year. Much better to aim for 15,000 every week - and we would be miles of that even back at the Ricoh.

J

Jack Griffin

So ,Just how Big Is a 60 Acre Site,anyone think of somewhere for comparison .

Try using this tool on a site.. http://www.freemaptools.com/area-calculator.htm, here is one I did earlier..

area-r10.jpg

Astute

ames
ooh 6 times in 10 years what a big club we are. 4 of those for cups (remind me how many fans we had for the league game post Chelsea?) and 2 games with massive away followings. 20k is easily enough -buy a season ticket and guarantee a seat if you REALLY think we need bigger than that.

We couldn't all buy a season ticket. Our average gate even in Div 3 last season wouldn't fit where we are now.

magic82ball

quite a lot. We filled the Ricoh TWICE, yep twice. We couldnt even sell out the first game (with a capacity of 23k) 15k would be a sustainable and stabilizing target - whats the point of having an average gate of 11,000 and then 32,000 once a year. Much better to aim for 15,000 every week - and we would be miles of that even back at the Ricoh.

Your really are an oddity.

If we were to get to the prem which is where I can only assume SISU want us to crystallise on their investment, we would be averaging well above 22,000 should we have the stadia to accommodate, if only for the neutrals wanting to come and watch premiership football.

chiefdave

ames
ooh 6 times in 10 years what a big club we are. 4 of those for cups (remind me how many fans we had for the league game post Chelsea?) and 2 games with massive away followings. 20k is easily enough -buy a season ticket and guarantee a seat if you REALLY think we need bigger than that.

that's only the top 6, if you look at all attendances that would be too big for the proposed new ground by season then you get this:

2005/06 - 16
2006/07 - 12
2007/08 - 11
2008/09 - 5
2009/10 - 3
2010/11 - 3
2011/12 - 3
2012/13 - 1

Actually when you look at what has happened since SISU took over there has been a drastic decline in numbers but to think if we ever got back in the championship or even the prem that 20K would be enough is crazy. Remember on top of capacity you will lose some seating to segregation. Look at the likes of Southampton (who are talking of putting a second tier on) or Norwich, why could we not get similar crowds to them with a bit of success? The JPT final showed that the slightest hint of success and people will come back.

chiefdave

So we could have two Ricoh's and two main roads cutting through the middle. Or is Timothy twisting the truth again?

if we're getting a 60 acre site that should cut down the options so can those who live locally suggest sites that would be that big and not in green belt?

Astute

that's only the top 6, if you look at all attendances that would be too big for the proposed new ground by season then you get this:

2005/06 - 16
2006/07 - 12
2007/08 - 11
2008/09 - 5
2009/10 - 3
2010/11 - 3
2011/12 - 3
2012/13 - 1

Actually when you look at what has happened since SISU took over there has been a drastic decline in numbers but to think if we ever got back in the championship or even the prem that 20K would be enough is crazy. Remember on top of capacity you will lose some seating to segregation. Look at the likes of Southampton (who are talking of putting a second tier on) or Norwich, why could we not get similar crowds to them with a bit of success? The JPT final showed that the slightest hint of success and people will come back.

Wait for the argument that we only turned up as it was only a fiver a ticket. And this will be by the same people that will tell you that we only pay 9 quid a game on average for the rest of the time when on a different subject :whistle:

Astute

if we're getting a 60 acre site that should cut down the options so can those who live locally suggest sites that would be that big and not in green belt?

All of Beduff?

J

Jack Griffin

So we could have two Ricoh's and two main roads cutting through the middle. Or is Timothy twisting the truth again?

Half of it would have to be retail (like arena park) or commercial (like Ryton) to obtain partnership funding..
Actually 60acres is probably almost exactly the same area as Ricoh + Arena retail park

bigfatronssba

WTF are you talking about? First game at the Ricoh the capacity was limited to 23k. The attendance was 23k, yet your saying it wasn't a sell out?

Astute

WTF are you talking about? First game at the Ricoh the capacity was limited to 23k. The attendance was 23k, yet your saying it wasn't a sell out?

Can you please stop coming out with the truth?

wingy

Half of it would have to be retail (like arena park) or commercial (like Ryton) to obtain partnership funding..
Actually 60acres is probably almost exactly the same area as Ricoh + Arena retail park

Was thinking this earlier .

It would have to be a satalite town around Coventry ,I cannot think of a suburb of the City that Is'nt already well served .

Kenilworth Bedworth Nuneaton Rugby Meriden Gap.

bigfatronssba

So if I'm interpreting sisu bullshit correctly, the initial investment in the new stadium will come from selling Ryton?

Past mistakes repeating themselves?

J

Jack Griffin

Was thinking this earlier .

It would have to be a satalite town around Coventry ,I cannot think of a suburb of the City that Is'nt already well served .

Kenilworth Bedworth Nuneaton Rugby Meriden Gap.

Well there is Byng and his railway schemes too.. but stations have to be in conurbations.. anyway I've said b4, think about Birmingham NEC/Airport area.. where a major Hs2 interchange is going to be.. if it happens I think it will be associated with Hs2 in some way, because people will want to invest in schemes around it & the taxpayers will be footing a load of the infrastructure costs.. it would also be close to a major motorway, i.e M6, M42 or M40, I don't think end of M69 is a likely site, its too close to Leicester support..

Last edited by a moderator:

valiant15

2005/06 - 16
2006/07 - 12
2007/08 - 11
2008/09 - 5
2009/10 - 3
2010/11 - 3
2011/12 - 3
2012/13 - 1

It would appear that some or our fans are happy to stay in the 3rd tier for the forseable future and sit in sisu's arena tinpot stadium in the sticks. I was going to add that we'll be the laughing stock of the midlands if this joke of a ground happens but we already are.

I personaly want my club to be back in the premier league at some time in the future,and I want my kids to experience the feeling of joy that top flight football used to bring me,the pride in that badge on the shirt,the city it represents and that euphoria of walking out of the ground after giving one of the big boys a football lesson.

If sisu were to build this tiny stadium then you can forget any hopes of a top flight return or challenging at the better end of the championship.

This stadium will become a hate figure for what we could be.

torchomatic

I wonder how much Jimmy Hill got for the Connexion?

So if I'm interpreting sisu bullshit correctly, the initial investment in the new stadium will come from selling Ryton?

Past mistakes repeating themselves?

stupot07

2005/06 - 16
2006/07 - 12
2007/08 - 11
2008/09 - 5
2009/10 - 3
2010/11 - 3
2011/12 - 3
2012/13 - 1

What were the championship attendances at HR before the move to the Ricoh?

The Ricoh had an initial pulling power, including opposition fans wanted to see a new stadium and chalk it off their list, but I do think attendance were starting to decline back to the HR level anyway. Sisu's first season (2008/09) in charge, with investment in the squad was about 3-4k lower (17.4k compared with 21.3k)than than the first season at the Ricoh and had the 1/3rd of the amount of 20k+ attendances (5 compared with 16) than the first season and that's before you throw in sisu's poor tenure.

Ironic that Norwich and Southampton are mentioned, given they both averaged 20k fans in league one compared to our paltry 10.8k last season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

bigfatronssba

I wonder how much Jimmy Hill got for the Connexion?

Ok your right. Its ok to gamble with the companies fixed assets.

You've just lost any authority in being critical of Richardson then.

torchomatic

I'm just saying you're right. We should learn by past mistakes. They haven't only been made by SISU and Richardson but by Hill too. Selling the Connexion was a mistake as was the whole Washington Diplomats fiasco.

Ok your right. Its ok to gamble with the companies fixed assets.

You've just lost any authority in being critical of Richardson then.

bigfatronssba

What were the championship attendances at HR before the move to the Ricoh?

The Ricoh had an initial pulling power, including opposition fans wanted to see a new stadium and chalk it off their list, but I do think attendance were starting to decline back to the HR level anyway. Sisu's first season (2008/09) in charge, with investment in the squad was about 3-4k lower than than the first season at the Ricoh and had the 1/3rd of the amount of 20k+ attendances than the first season and that's before you throw in sisu's poor tenure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Averages below. Still higher than the initial capacity of the Garlick Bowl. Coincidently it also blows away the myth that HR was more appealing to fans as comparable crowds were always much higher at the Ricoh.

04/05 16048
03/04 14816
02/03 14813
01/02 16150

Last edited:

torchomatic

Garlick Bowl. Brilliant. Another cracker to be savoured in every other post. You want to patent the phrase for yourself.

Averages below. Still higher than the initial capacity of the Garlick Bowl. Coincidently it also blows away the myth that HR was more appealing to fans as comparable crowds were always much higher at the Ricoh.

stupot07

True, but a lot of that is because of the away end 6-7k is it at the Ricoh? It couldn't have been much more than 1.5-2k at HR?

The HR figures do back up the argument that some of the reduction in attendance is just natural curiosity wearing off and returning to HR levels.

bigfatronssba

I'm just saying you're right. We should learn by past mistakes. They haven't only been made by SISU and Richardson but by Hill too. Selling the Connexion was a mistake as was the whole Washington Diplomats fiasco.

Selling off a sports hall is hardly comparable to selling the ground or the companies last fixed asset.

RoboCCFC90

04/05 16048
03/04 14816
02/03 14813
01/02 16150

Comparing attendances to Highfield Road in it's last 4 seasons to the shiny, new Ricoh after it had just happened is a null and void arguement.

bigfatronssba

True, but a lot of that is because of the away end 6-7k is it at the Ricoh? It couldn't have been much more than 1.5-2k at HR?

It was nearly 4k at HR IIRC.

I think the impact of away crowds is miniscule when averaged out. When you see that over the course of the season Andy Thorn drew in more fans than Eric Black then the Ricoh was clearly more popular.

torchomatic

True. Still, it's an asset that would have come in handy over the years, I'm sure. Losing loads of dosh in the States was a right royal fuck-up from JH though.

Selling off a sports hall is hardly comparable to selling the ground or the companies last fixed asset.

bigfatronssba

Comparing attendances to Highfield Road in it's last 4 seasons to the shiny, new Ricoh after it had just happened is a null and void arguement.

Could you explain why?

Hobo

Thanks for the post Houdi.
No quick return to the Ricoh doesn't surprise me, neither does the level of hatred.
Interesting a lot of auditors wouldn't touch them?
Purchase of land is proving to be protracted? I suspect because they are in no rush. Secondly anything involving SISU and a deal proves to be complicated.
Liquidating one company transferring assets to another....pour from one pot to another....one minute debt then it's gone.

Whatever picture suits them they paint. It's not just SISU it's how business is done these days. It may be legal but, no I won't say anymore.

The size of the stadium, doesn't seem very grand. but if they get a successful team and sell out, demand just means higher prices.

I think SISU will be here for a long time and we will be feeding them money for a long time.

stupot07

It was nearly 4k at HR IIRC.

I think the impact of away crowds is miniscule when averaged out. When you see that over the course of the season Andy Thorn drew in more fans than Eric Black then the Ricoh was clearly more popular.

Not in terms of the number of games with 20k+. All the big games I remember at the Ricoh all had packed away sections.

I'm not trying to argue which stadium was better, more that our support was always going to dwindle back to around HR levels. If anything, we should have had another peak in sisu's first season, new owners, new dawn, renewed optimism, £m players...but it was 4k less than the first season at the Ricoh and only 5 crowds 20k+ compared to 16 in the first season.

Last edited:

bigfatronssba

60 acres brownfield sites then. Cant be many of them knocking round is there? Should easily be able to work out where its going to be.

GaryPendrysEyes

Sisu have presided over 5 years of failure on the pitch (as well as off) including a relegation so of course gates dropped v.significantly under them. There was a point when they came in, when we had 18k+ crowds in the Championship, that if we had even modest success crowds would have grown. didnt happen and we ended up with 10k after 5 years of Sisu..... and the relative success we have now is in the Sixfields vacuum.

AndreasB

Stop talking about potential and "the crowds" - what we need is Season Tickets -the only sustainable form of income and support to attract investment. All our owners have failed to address the issue (apart from the half hearted operation premiership)

There is NO point returning to the Ricoh if 10,000 or more fans can be persuaded to sign up to a ST next year - whether we are in L1 or not.

Users who are viewing this thread