Shareholder's meeting. (6 Viewers)

RoboCCFC90

Could you explain why?

The Ricoh was brand spanking new and the attraction of a new stadium is what bought the higher numbers of fans plus the optimism and buzz that the Arena brought, when people realised that the Arena wasn't improving matters on the pitch crowds dwindled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shmmeee

Just sums up that at home in front of big crowds we have generally been quite crap.

I can't be arsed to check but IIRC most if not all of those teams were above us in the league at the time. Big gates tend to come against bigger clubs, our record would be skewed anyway.

RoboCCFC90

I can't be arsed to check but IIRC most if not all of those teams were above us in the league at the time. Big gates tend to come against bigger clubs, our record would be skewed anyway.

Can you explain Crewe then?

shmmeee

The Ricoh was brand spanking new and the attraction of a new stadium is what bought the higher numbers of fans plus the optimism and buzz that the Arena brought, when people realised that the Arena wasn't improving matters on the pitch crowds dwindled.

Yep the Ricoh basically gifted City a 30% rise in fans and it was their job to keep them.

bigfatronssba

But that doesn't explain why Andy Thorn had more people watching than Eric Black does it?

The Ricoh had been there over 6 years by then. In what was our worst season in 50 years, to still be able to pull in crowds better than a lot of decent seasons at HR suggests to me it wasn't considered this awful ground in the middle of nowhere, as claimed by so many on here.

shmmeee

Can you explain Crewe then?

Well we bottled it. But one swallow does not a summer make. The WBA game was with no manager. Chelsea are Chelsea. We played well against a Prem Middlesbrough team (and lost away in front of a small crowd).

I'm just saying the results don't tell the whole story.

Though if someone could get a nice spreadsheet of attendance and result I'd love to see the analysis.

bigfatronssba

Well we bottled it. But one swallow does not a summer make. The WBA game was with no manager. Chelsea are Chelsea. We played well against a Prem Middlesbrough team (and lost away in front of a small crowd).

I'm just saying the results don't tell the whole story.

Though if someone could get a nice spreadsheet of attendance and result I'd love to see the analysis.

We played brilliantly against Blackburn. Most home areas were full that game.

wingy

Seem to remember two or three big gates against Blues also who were one or two leagues above at the Time.

The Reality Is this currently Is froth ,lose the Jr and the Pr to get the CCC to hand over the keys and five years down the line this may not even be necessary.If It Is 12K.capacity will be plenty and as ever 33% full.

shmmeee

Stop talking about potential and "the crowds" - what we need is Season Tickets -the only sustainable form of income and support to attract investment. All our owners have failed to address the issue (apart from the half hearted operation premiership)

There is NO point returning to the Ricoh if 10,000 or more fans can be persuaded to sign up to a ST next year - whether we are in L1 or not.

This is spot on. I'd go as far as free or severely reduced tickets for a season to get people back into the habit.

It's one of the reasons the cost of the time spent in Sixfields can't just be counted in income lost this season.

AndreasB

This is spot on. I'd go as far as free or severely reduced tickets for a season to get people back into the habit.

It's one of the reasons the cost of the time spent in Sixfields can't just be counted in income lost this season.

I know and IF we are back at the Ricoh for next season the club needs to do some radical things to bring this back - could they do a £100 Season ticket if you signed up for 2 years?? free cup games, reduced corporate tickets etc etc - there needs to be some serious wooing back of fans and an admittance that they have been dicked about. Fresh start, truth and reconciliation.

RoboCCFC90

But that doesn't explain why Andy Thorn had more people watching than Eric Black does it?

The Ricoh had been there over 6 years by then. In what was our worst season in 50 years, to still be able to pull in crowds better than a lot of decent seasons at HR suggests to me it wasn't considered this awful ground in the middle of nowhere, as claimed by so many on here.

I would assume the average attendances increased due to the Ricoh being able to provide a bigger away following for teams in comparison to HR.

bigfatronssba

I would assume the average attendances increased due to the Ricoh being able to provide a bigger away following for teams in comparison to HR.

That assumption is wrong I'm afraid.

In the 11/12 season only four teams brought a following larger than HR away end would hold. Namely Leicester, Brum, West Ham and Leeds. They each brought around 2500 more than HR could have housed. So an extra 10k over 23 games works out at 434 people.

Like I say its a miniscule amount.

RoboCCFC90

In the 11/12 season only four teams brought a following larger than HR away end would hold. Namely Leicester, Brum, West Ham and Leeds. They each brought around 2500 more than HR could have housed. So an extra 10k over 23 games works out at 434 people.

But was the away end at HR consistently sold out by visiting teams?

bigfatronssba

But was the away end at HR consistently sold out by visiting teams?

No but what difference does that make?

Its logical to assume the teams that brought 1500 to HR would also bring 1500 to the Ricoh.

The only difference is to those teams that were capable of bringing more than 3.5k - 4k.

RoboCCFC90

No but what difference does that make?

Its logical to assume the teams that brought 1500 to HR would also bring 1500 to the Ricoh.

The only difference is to those teams that were capable of bringing more than 3.5k - 4k.

The logic I believe is incorrect, you haven't factored in that the Ricoh Arena would have been able to pull huge followings of visiting fans due to the Arena itself. As I have said previously the Ricoh itself and it's reputation would have influenced bigger crowds of away support, as such with MK Dons in comparison.

skybluefred

What I meant by that was that TF was perfectly polite to fans like me, but he had a 'frank' exchange with John Fletcher that at times was really vicious, there is a real deep hatred there far worse than I thought.
The club are now looking at 2 sites of about 60 acres, God knows where. I and others asked repeatedly when they intend to announce these sites, to assuage the fans cynicism, however no real satisfactory response was given. Just a litany of the problems involved in closing any deal, it seems any announcement if it is to be believed is months and months away. Don't hold your breath for any news soon. It also seems that the 3 years in Northampton will now be at least 4 years. The new stadium will also apparently encompass the Academy as well.

New stadium--team--academy and RFC as the only supporter.
:blue:

stupot07

But then your comparing 2011/12 (15k) with pre Ricoh (~15K). I'd be interested in seeing the figures for the the first couple of seasons at years of the when we averaged 20k+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

bigfatronssba

The logic I believe is incorrect, you haven't factored in that the Ricoh Arena would have been able to pull huge followings of visiting fans due to the Arena itself. As I have said previously the Ricoh itself and it's reputation would have influenced bigger crowds of away support, as such with MK Dons in comparison.

I'm not sure what you mean. All but four away followings in the 11/12 season could have fit into the away end at HR. Are you saying the Ricoh was more popular than HR with away fans in general?

RoboCCFC90

I'm not sure what you mean. All but four away followings in the 11/12 season could have fit into the away end at HR. Are you saying the Ricoh was more popular than HR with away fans in general?

That's exactly what I am saying.

bigfatronssba

But then your comparing 2011/12 (15k) with pre Ricoh (~15K). I'd be interested in seeing the figures for the the first couple of seasons at years of the when we averaged 20k+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Yes in those seasons I would agree with you. Away fans want to come and see a new ground.

I think though by 11/12 any away fan that was interested would have already been.

skybluefred

If anyone is interested see for yourselves just how much space would be required.
http://www.freemaptools.com/area-calculator.htm

Makes sense to have everything on the same site but max of 22,000, really...?

So Tim we have gone from selling Highfield Rd which wasn't big enough, season upon season of struggle, up to our eyeballs in debt, god knows how years we will be in Northampton only to move to a new stadium which will be smaller than Highfield Rd. maybe i'm missing something here, anyone enlighten me just what the hell he is thinking!

He is thinking--we are not investing in the team so we only need a small stadium to accommodate Conference or league two crowds.He knows that unless the team are playing at the Ricoh the support will not return.

bigfatronssba

That's exactly what I am saying.

I understand your point now, not sure I agree though ;)

Like I say in the early years I think there would have been more away fans, but by 11/12 I would have thought most teams would have brought similar numbers to what they had at HR.

RoboCCFC90

I understand your point now, not sure I agree though ;)

Like I say in the early years I think there would have been more away fans, but by 11/12 I would have thought most teams would have brought similar numbers to what they had at HR.

Of course there would of, there would of been more home fans as well, even now though you can still see what coming to the Ricoh meant to teams, Swindon and Yeovil last season for instance brought good away followings, but they didn't do it consistently, but because it was the Ricoh....

bigfatronssba

Of course there would of, there would of been more home fans as well, even now though you can still see what coming to the Ricoh meant to teams, Swindon and Yeovil last season for instance brought good away followings, but they didn't do it consistently, but because it was the Ricoh....

Well apart from analysing 10 years of attendance data there is no way either of us can actually prove our point. I'm sure both of us have better things to do than that so I suggest we agree to disagree!

skybluefred

ames
ooh 6 times in 10 years what a big club we are. 4 of those for cups (remind me how many fans we had for the league game post Chelsea?) and 2 games with massive away followings. 20k is easily enough -buy a season ticket and guarantee a seat if you REALLY think we need bigger than that.

We will NOT be going so why buy a season ticket.

RoboCCFC90

Well apart from analysing 10 years of attendance data there is no way either of us can actually prove our point. I'm sure both of us have better things to do than that so I suggest we agree to disagree!

I concur my gammon and egg pie is calling me, hopefully a debate to be resumed at a later time (Yum:)

J

Jack Griffin

Judging by Les Reids twitter what is the betting has a go at John Fletcher & the SBT tomorrow in his article on this meeting.

skybluelee

True, but a lot of that is because of the away end 6-7k is it at the Ricoh? It couldn't have been much more than 1.5-2k at HR?

The HR figures do back up the argument that some of the reduction in attendance is just natural curiosity wearing off and returning to HR levels.

It was 4K.

skybluefred

True, but a lot of that is because of the away end 6-7k is it at the Ricoh? It couldn't have been much more than 1.5-2k at HR?

The HR figures do back up the argument that some of the reduction in attendance is just natural curiosity wearing off and returning to HR levels.

Attendances rely solely on the team winning and challenging for promotion.If the team is crap through lack of
investment and are continually fighting relegation, or the owners threaten to sue their own supporters the gates
will fall,and sisu haven't seen anything yet of fan power.

SkyblueBazza

I wouldn't excuse him like that. Why would turning down a contract mean your form is shocking? I think the reality is that Christie isn't as good as he thinks or a lot of fans seem to think.

If he wants to stay & having been made to feel important & wanted...maybe the dip is due to his being disappointed in the offers made & some disillusion has crept in?

J

Jack Griffin

FWIW, there was an interesting comment in the SCG minutes too.

Somewhere, some dots being joined would be appreciated, I think, from whatever perspective!

I'm fully aware of the content of the minutes the club published.

Steve_75

I would guess the reason Fisher has for what seems to be a lack of ambition when it comes to the stadium's capacity is that the ground will be built outside the city.
From what I've seen on here (and true for me as well), is that if it's not built within the city boundaries (or damn close to them), a lot of people won't go.
As to where you'd find a 60 acre site, close to Cov where you could build a stadium, academy facilities and I'd guess, a retail or leisure park, there really has to be a limited number of possibilities. Also land that size, ripe for development must cost a packet!

Users who are viewing this thread