Sterling negativity (1 Viewer)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

He is probably getting more negative press than anyone at the moment.

It’s all pretty unfair. Defensively he’s certainly no worse than Grimmer. I like Grimmer but often last season he was found wanting when under pressure. He was good at going forward and whole hearted but some of the comments here and at the game were pretty brutal.

He’s young and he’s going to make some errors but yesterday was pretty solid and composed.

All a bit strange really.
First time I've seen him . He might be no worse than grimmer, but you don't put someone in because they are " no worse" . Looked okay defensively but reluctant to get forward and go past anyone. Early days but he needs a run of 10 games before we begin to really tell if he's going to do the business. Grimmer would have got forward far more yesterday that's for sure.

Grendel

First time I've seen him . He might be no worse than grimmer, but you don't put someone in because they are " no worse" . Looked okay defensively but reluctant to get forward and go past anyone. Early days but he needs a run of 10 games before we begin to really tell if he's going to do the business. Grimmer would have got forward far more yesterday that's for sure.

He’s a defender

RegTheDonk

Think a lot of people have a soft spot for grimmer he comes across well and while not outstanding people remember those goals rather than misshaps. I hear pundits bemoaning lack of quality crosses, if Stirling can get forward as well an contribute here im sure he will turn the negatives around.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I think the thing for me is that Grimmer was really important for us last season, including scoring at Wembley.

To get dropped for the first game felt harsh. Sterling might have been a bit better on Saturday but his performances before that seemed as if they had warranted a chance to Grimmer to prove himself again. It didn't happen though.

I'm not overly harsh on Sterling (apart from Raheem), but I cannot see so far how he is better than Grimmer. Happy to be proved wrong though.

Gint11

Win Tuesday and we probably be in the top 10. After 4 games, I’d take that all day.

bawtryneal

Sterling is not our player and I do not see the point of developing a player who at 18 may go on to be a superstar and play for England but does not benefit CCFC
In my opinion you should only play a loan player if he is better than your own player or if you intend to buy him in the future
Clearly this will not happen with Sterling
Based on Grimmer performance last season and Sterling last two games Grimmer clearly is better player for us.
In the two home games I have seen I have not been impressed with Sterling. I would have marked him with the lowest score in both games.
Whoever put him in League one team of the week was clearly not at the game so all the other right backs scored lower points and must be crap.
Chelsea are clearly paying us to develop him and there must be a penalty if he doesn't play.

Legia Sky Blue

Saturday was his best game so far...... but that was starting from a very low point as he was very disappointing in the 2 league games before that (didn't see Oxford game so can't comment on that). He made one particularly good defensive tackle, albeit if he had been more alert earlier he wouldn't have needed to. The fact that someone has arbitrarily put him in a team of the week means nothing. Most of the player marks on this forum marked him 6 which was about right. He undoubtedly hasn't been helped by the hype surrounding his signing when Chelsea fans were talking him up.& set our expectations unreasonably high, but we should support him while he is playing for us and hopefully be rewarded by seeing the player we hoped for before too long.

sylus

Those who thought Sterling had his best game yesterday,what were you watching,the sky! he was lazy, doesn't like going forward like Robins requires him to and his defensive duties was suspect,certainly no better than Grimmer and looks nervous,for the record i did feel he had a better game against Scunthorpe but was poor yesterday,sure the lad needs time and maybe the fact we haven't conceded to many is probably down to the fact we have 6 basically defending,Mason,Hyam,Willis,Sterling, Ogogo and Doyle, we are to defensive especially at home and we are creating very little due to it,we should be playing with 2 strikers upfront,even when they went down to 10 men yesterday,they seemed more likely to score than us.

Nick

Administrator
Those who thought Sterling had his best game yesterday,what were you watching,the sky! he was lazy, doesn't like going forward like Robins requires him to and his defensive duties was suspect,certainly no better than Grimmer and looks nervous,for the record i did feel he had a better game against Scunthorpe but was poor yesterday,sure the lad needs time and maybe the fact we haven't conceded to many is probably down to the fact we have 6 basically defending,Mason,Hyam,Willis,Sterling, Ogogo and Doyle, we are to defensive especially at home and we are creating very little due to it,we should be playing with 2 strikers upfront,even when they went down to 10 men yesterday,they seemed more likely to score than us.
Apart from when Shipley had the best chance of the game.

Grendel

stupot07

I thought he was very average yesterday and doesn't look at this minute as an upgrade on grimmer. That's not to say he won't develop, but for me as part of the promotion winning side, team of the year in league two, grimmer should have started the season with sterling trying to oust him.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Londonccfcfan

There’s no no negativity with Sterling. After his last 4 performances difficult to see too many positives.

Lol as for getting on the league one team of the week that’s a joke.

We were all raving positive about him, before he kicked a ball when we signed him, based on some youth team videos.

Grimmer all day long. That’s not me being negative, that’s purely objectively on what I’ve seen from both.

torchomatic

Grendel

There’s no no negativity with Sterling. After his last 4 performances difficult to see too many positives.

Lol as for getting on the league one team of the week that’s a joke.

We were all raving positive about him, before he kicked a ball when we signed him, based on some youth team videos.

Grimmer all day long. That’s not me being negative, that’s purely objectively on what I’ve seen from both.

Objective? You were writing Bakayoko off before he kicked a ball

Londonccfcfan

Objective? You were writing Bakayoko off before he kicked a ball

After watching his last 3 games he has shown glimpses of improving. He’s not as bad as I previously thought and that’s not an endorsement from me of his footballing abilities. The amount of times he was offside yesterday was ridiculous for someone who’s played 100 plus games when he just need to look up.

It’s really difficult to get excited about spending 200k on a Walsall reject with his scoring record from 100 games.

Anyway this thread is about Sterling. If there was a poll from all fans who have watched the games this season.
Then Grimmer would be first choice.

At the moment MR decisions are all that matters.

Reactions: vow

djr8369

Good thread. I wanted to say much the same thing. There’s a young lad who sits near me who I nearly had to tell to shut the **** up as he spends the whole game telling anyone who will listen how awful Sterling is.

He’s an 18 yo lad playing men’s football for the first time. He has been a bit disappointing but I think he’s had a shock as to how physical it is in L1 and deserves time to get used to it and settle in. Drifted out of position a few times and lacking confidence (who can blame him) but not done anything too wrong.

It’s bad enough listening to the usual stupid comments without fans getting on the back of an 18 year old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rodders1

I think he’s in the team because he’s going to be better at defending than Grimmer. Last season a few dodgy errors from Jack, but also think he looks weaker in the air (our back post) than Sterling.

Saturday Sterling didn’t look comfortable going forward but hope it’ll improve as his confidence grows.

Old Warwickshire lad

We have to give Sterling time. Think the problem is we were sold the idea of the young superstar and England starlet.
I have only seen his home games and he looks overawed. His performance Saturday was better, but am I the only one who thought Willis was covering for him all game?
Think we may have a completely different player by Christmas .

SkyBlueScottie

Young lad, coming to terms with League 1. Also with the formation we are currently playing he doesn't really have any cover, so at times ( probably the times many people think he's ball watching etc) he has 2 players up against him. The perfect example of this was when Doyle had a go at him. However Sterling then pointed out he was actually having to cover a midfielder who had run past Abs and Doyle...

ps1948

The problems both Grimmer and Sterling have is that they are o9ften let down by the midfielder playing in front of them not giving them enough cover. Sterling is especially vulnerable as Bayliss is (justifiably) often playing higher up the field - the first goal against Scunthorpe was a perfect illustration - Bayliss lost the ball, Scunthorpe broke and Sterling was exposed and they duly scored. Not entirely Sterling's fault - as many have said, it's a big difference in playing L1 football to Premiership U23/Youth games.
We should, at least while the game is being played, give our whole-hearted support to every player, and then analyse their performance fairly after the event.

Magwitch

I don’t like loans full stop.
Other than a goalkeeper in an emergency due to injury.
All we are doing is developing talent for another club, usually rookies who have not hardly if at all kicked a ball in anger for their parent club.
Why not develop our own ?
Last season Tom Bayliss and Jordan Shipley came into the team as 18/19 year olds and let’s be honest basically because of injuries at the time, grabbed their chance and are now established first teamers with value, just why Shipley has been only sub is a mystery to me, but early days yet. As I said develop our own or we should have bought one if the manager thinks Grimmer ain’t good enough and as boss that’s his prerogative.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I don’t like loans full stop.
Other than a goalkeeper in an emergency due to injury.
All we are doing is developing talent for another club, usually rookies who have not hardly if at all kicked a ball in anger for their parent club.
Why not develop our own ?
Last season Tom Bayliss and Jordan Shipley came into the team as 18/19 year olds and let’s be honest basically because of injuries at the time, grabbed their chance and are now established first teamers with value, just why Shipley has been only sub is a mystery to me, but early days yet. As I said develop our own or we should have bought one if the manager thinks Grimmer ain’t good enough and as boss that’s his prerogative.

I agree entirely. I think rich clubs hoarding lots of young talent (in many cases not because they think they're going to be good enough just that they don't want anyone else to benefit) is detrimental to the game overall and the international team.

For me, I'd bring in a maximum squad, say 40, of players on pro contracts. Doesn't matter what age, nationality etc - 40 max. That'd put a lot of these youngsters available for free at the end of their academy contracts, giving teams lower down the pyramid the chance to bring on better players and upping the overall standard as well as potentially levelling out the competition somewhat and making it more competitive. Other clubs have to put up with (and often pay a fee) for the errors as they learn and then the parent club gets a finished article for a relatively inexpensive initial outlay. Grossly unfair system.

In financial terms I think it'd lead to a huge disparity in wages because even more funds would become available to pay the top level players but I'm not overly bothered about truly top class individuals being highly paid. It's when you've got youngsters (essentially trainees), who've never played a first team game, on contracts 5x+ what first team regulars are on just a league or two further down. Imagine the office junior/intern on a wage many executives would be happy with!

Besides that it'd be good for the players development, getting into 'proper' games at men's level than U23/reserve level. So much potential is wasted in players sitting on pretty lucrative contracts until 24-25 when they end up being released and then struggle to cope when they have to face the realisation of what football is like for the vast majority of players because they've never experienced it.

Another thing that I'd consider is the U24 compensation rule being altered so that no compensation is due if said player hasn't played a first team/league game for their parent club in the previous season.

Shame JH isn't around for a second revolution!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

On topic, with Sterling I think it's more the hype - Chelsea fans (probably most of whom have never seen him play) raving about him and how he should be in the first team. Given the build up it's quite a disappointment. Without that you'd probably just say he's settling in and hopefully after a few games his confidence will grow and we'll see more of him. I certainly hope so anyway.

Grimmer or Sterling? For me, Grimmer. Yes, he's not perfect but he wouldn't be in L1 if he was. You can argue that Sterling needs time to grow in confidence and therefore needs to stay in the team, but how is that going to affect Grimmer? Given the fact that Grimmer is our player and Sterling isn't (although both are technically contracted to the same time) if the loan player isn't really adding anything to the team I'd have to consider the needs of our player first.

Users who are viewing this thread