Swansea (H) - Tuesday 2nd - 19:45 (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Pete

But none of them are terrible and could offer something if one of those players is having a bad day. Picking a team that fails to perform is one thing. To pick that team and choose not to change it when you can see that it's not working is quite another.

Today I was struggling to think of which three to change because there was that many that could have justifiably been hooked. Instead we made only two, and one of those was when the game was practically over.
Hindsight comment based on losing the game

SBAndy

They outplayed us in every department. They pressed well when the needed to, they played it out well from the back throughout, always had the extra man on their right. We pressed as individuals not a team, created little and let them run midfield. Need to get up for Saturday and get3 points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad someone else noticed they always had a spare man on the right. For some reason both Allen and Hamer decided to play on the right side of our midfield, leaving Ntcham with half a pitch to exploit constantly. It’s the primary reason that Maatsen and JCS looked poor - absolutely no protection in front of them. Granted, there were individual errors thrown in there to accentuate their performances but we needed to do far better structurally.

I do agree with BSB that we’re now seeing some players hit the wall physically, and we should have been far smarter to utilise our squad so far. It’s frustrating that we’ve got 4 starting-quality strikers and yet Gyo continued to play when he was basically incapacitated. Yes, he’d been on form but it’s about trying to preserve that rather than flog him into the ground.

Sky Blue Harry H

Haven't read any of the thread.
Thoughts: Swansea played well - think a large decent pitch suited them. Their first goal was a defensive mistake, the second was offside (due to lino being out of position) They wasted time through a) snidey tactics, which the ref allowed and b) cleverly playing keep ball, tiring our players - which we would have known about beforehand, but I wish we could have worked out a counter during the game. It was frustrating, although our players didn't down tools, and in the first half particularly I thought we were a bit unfortunate to have clawed it back. Finally - huge shout out to the crowd who I thought were terrific in staying behind the team. I can't remember a home game in a long while where the fans have stayed so positive after having gone down by 2 early goals (would previously been like a morgue). Thought this might happen last night, but I also think we will beat Bristol City on Saturday.

SlowerThanPlatt

On Jodi Jones’s contribution:

“I think that he found it difficult. We were trying to get him on the ball and get an extra attacking player on because if he could get on the ball and go past somebody, all of a sudden it opens up and he’s liable to shoot and hit the top corner, because he can finish.

“He didn’t get those opportunities really. He started to get a little bit frenetic where you want to be calm. But we weren’t.

Sky Blue Harry H

Quite a few complimentary comments about the game and us on their forum:

'I enjoyed watching Coventry. Try to move the ball forward quickly and play the game the right way.'

Although disappointed, not many teams play like Swansea do, and only Bournemouth worry me in terms of sides we are still to face at the CBS, The rest, we will give a game (may lose one or two, but considering it is only our second season, I'm happy with the football I'm seeing)

jordan210

We need to learn to make subs at the right time. We cant keep chasing a game and swapping players at 88mins

We should have made subs at 65 mins bring Walker on. The a bit later swapping Dabo for Kane. then replace COH

Freshen it up and try and push on.

What will happen if we lose to Bristol is It will be blamed on tried players. The same players who could have been rested after 60 odd mins.

Colin Steins Smile

I haven't read the previous 29 pages, so I might be repeating something others have said but................I find it really refreshing to read MR's comments on the game. He doesn't try and bluster over a defeat and says out how he sees it.

Grendel

I haven't read the previous 29 pages, so I might be repeating something others have said but................I find it really refreshing to read MR's comments on the game. He doesn't try and bluster over a defeat and says out how he sees it.

Shame he did nothing to influence the outcome

Terry Gibson's perm

It must have been said on here already but they were amongst the worst set of officials we have had this year. Linesman that couldn’t make a decision and a ref who added 3 minutes added time when realistically six would have been to few.

shmmeee

It must have been said on here already but they were amongst the worst set of officials we have had this year. Linesman that couldn’t make a decision and a ref who added 3 minutes added time when realistically six would have been to few.

The amount of times the ref and Lino looked at each other for about five seconds before guessing a direction for the throwin was laughable.

Terry Gibson's perm

The amount of times the ref and Lino looked at each other for about five seconds before guessing a direction for the throwin was laughable.

There was a moment where the ball came off Goddens boot and they gave us the throw in, the time wasting that goes on is ridiculous and some is very clever like taking the throw in at the wrong place so you have to take it again.

shmmeee

There was a moment where the ball came off Goddens boot and they gave us the throw in, the time wasting that goes on is ridiculous and some is very clever like taking the throw in at the wrong place so you have to take it again.

I’ve never seen a team time waste as much, as early, and as effectively as Swansea did last night. Combined with the keep ball and the constant falling over and cynical fouls they’re quite an anti-football side.

Terry Gibson's perm

I’ve never seen a team time waste as much, as early, and as effectively as Swansea did last night. Combined with the keep ball and the constant falling over and cynical fouls they’re quite an anti-football side.

The only one that compares are Wycombe who waste time straight from the kick off, it must be a beautiful game when they play Swansea

Offhegoes

I actually thought we looked quite dangerous going forward 1st half, even more so than most of the Derby game. However Swansea seemed to cut through us every time they went forward, and of course we conceded 2 soft goals. Robins seems to think we were much better 2nd half. Maybe defensively, but not going forward. Only in the last 10 mins did we create any real pressure. I am not sure why Jodi Jones is getting flack on here, I thought he did alright when he came on. I thought Godden and Viktor looked knackered early 2nd half, and was amazed Robins didn't change it.

Frostie

It is clever but the referee was so naïve in not clamping down on it or at the very least adding additional time on as it was obvious what they were doing.
Patterson trotted over for every single throw in on their left flank with no intention of ever actually taking it. He picked the ball up, pretended he was going to throw it, waited for the referee to move him back to the correct spot then just left it for Bidwell to go through the exact same routine. They were taking around 40-45 seconds per throw in at one stage without even a word of hurry up from the officials yet somehow we only had 3 added minutes. Ridiculous.

As good as Swansea's game management was, the officials' was appalling.

NorthernWisdom

It’s frustrating that we’ve got 4 starting-quality strikers and yet Gyo continued to play when he was basically incapacitated. Yes, he’d been on form but it’s about trying to preserve that rather than flog him into the ground.
While I get your point, imagine the comments if he'd started Walker in all those games instead of him, and Walker hadn't delivered at the same rate.

COV

It is clever but the referee was so naïve in not clamping down on it or at the very least adding additional time on as it was obvious what they were doing.
Patterson trotted over for every single throw in on their left flank with no intention of ever actually taking it. He picked the ball up, pretended he was going to throw it, waited for the referee to move him back to the correct spot then just left it for Bidwell to go through the exact same routine. They were taking around 40-45 seconds per throw in at one stage without even a word of hurry up from the officials yet somehow we only had 3 added minutes. Ridiculous.

Don’t like blaming officials but you are spot on about them last night.

He didn’t gift them two goals though 🙈

Frostie

Don’t like blaming officials but you are spot on about them last night.

He didn’t gift them two goals though 🙈

No, just the one that was miles offside.😜

I am probably the biggest defender of officials on here (except @Adge of course), I've done it, it's a thankless task, but just thought he was so naïve & easily conned by a very streetwise side.

Not the reason we lost, we were sloppy early on & I can't think of a worse team to be behind against given their ability to keep the ball & manage the clock.

fernandopartridge

This is why Hyam needs to be dropped imo, touch touch touch simple ball to Dabo who can only give it back. Look at Jones ready to spring the line but nothing.
ce0c358a146b84508659b04b92ea2926.jpg

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
No, just the one that was miles offside.😜

I am probably the biggest defender of officials on here (except @Adge of course), I've done it, it's a thankless task, but just thought he was so naïve & easily conned by a very streetwise side.

Not the reason we lost, we were sloppy early on & I can't think of a worse team to be behind against given their ability to keep the ball & manage the clock.
I've never seen my boy as annoyed at the officials as he was at the end last night. I can understand the ref putting up with slow throw-ins if they're going to allow for it in injury time (Forest and Reading), but to add just 3 mins on was pathetic.

Sky Blue Harry H

On a side note, Matty James came off injured last night at Blues, having aggravated an existing foot injury that he picked up on Saturday v Barnsley. Apparently Bristol fell apart after he went off. Doubtful to face us. If he is fit, we know what to do !

SBAndy

While I get your point, imagine the comments if he'd started Walker in all those games instead of him, and Walker hadn't delivered at the same rate.

“Well Viktor picked up a knock in the last game so we thought it best to rest him as a precaution. His ankle was the size of a bowling ball. Listen, it’s a long season and we need to make sure that we’re keeping the squad fresh.”

You could imagine Robins saying that almost word for word, and it’s not exactly something anyone would dispute to any great level.

I get what you mean but that’s the kind of management required in my opinion. Why have a squad if you’re not going to use it to protect against injury?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Hindsight comment based on losing the game

No it's not. It was how I was feeling during the game and that things needed to change. As much as we improved in the second half (how could we not) we hardly looked like we were causing them many problems.

If you're a goal down and not looking overly threatening, you change it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but just letting things continue as they are is asking for trouble.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I agree but it makes it more infuriating that he doesn't try to change it during the game.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

60 minute game. Stopped clock when ball is out of play. Dedicated time keeping official.

I will keep pushing this because it's such an easy and common sense solution to the problem.

Sky Blue Pete

No it's not. It was how I was feeling during the game and that things needed to change. As much as we improved in the second half (how could we not) we hardly looked like we were causing them many problems.

If you're a goal down and not looking overly threatening, you change it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but just letting things continue as they are is asking for trouble.
We kept getting through second half but not finding players in the middle

Sky Blue Harry H

60 minute game. Stopped clock when ball is out of play. Dedicated time keeping official.

I will keep pushing this because it's such an easy and common sense solution to the problem.
Don't disagree, but I'll bet you most games will last nearer 2 hrs than the 90 mins!!

Users who are viewing this thread