The boat/James (1 Viewer)

Otis

I expect you know all the details about his previous conviction? I don't know much but from what I've read it was tax related and not ripping people off.
What difference does that make?

Now leave me be as I go a-searching in my tool shed for me pitchfork and me tar and feathers.

Otis

I think modern society has become very cruel and unforgiving.

You only need to back 15-20 years or so a go to know that we would be having a whip round for the boat people and not having heated discussions on a football forum.

Nick

Administrator
Everything James does seems to have some kind of lie attached to it: the number of coaches, boats, mishaps with trips, however this is the one which has exposed him and got out of hand. It’s so easy to provide an email confirmation if it was the truth would cleared up In one minute by himself. Instead he comes out with long winded replies of crap. I am not bothered about the 30.00 haven’t even chased it. However seeing his lies is a joke. There is a lady who gaved over nearly 1200 to him for Barcelona trip including tickets. She was told it was fully booked and to be at the airport for 10am but kept asking details and being ignored - it turns out it wasn’t booked at all and he is refunding her after it came out on Facebook, threatens of police etc. There are others aswell. Why can’t you just be straight up it would be fully appreciated and dropped by everyone if you showed confirmation. People will start emailing the boat company again about this 4000 and more lies will unfold. It’s not a witch-hunt you just need to be honest!
She handed over 1200 in cash just like that?

jon1990c

She handed over 1200 in cash just like that?
Apparently yes gave the money or transfer not sure quite a while ago and has been trying to get hold of him for confirmation but hasn’t been easy. Apparently she got police involved, he finally contacted her and is now waiting a refund off him there is a screenshot and a lot about it on the Facebook post. However don’t know the ins and outs but clear to see on Facebook

Nick

Administrator
Apparently yes gave the money or transfer not sure quite a while ago and has been trying to get hold of him for confirmation but hasn’t been easy. Apparently she got police involved, he finally contacted her and is now waiting a refund off him there is a screenshot and a lot about it on the Facebook post. However don’t know the ins and outs but clear to see on Facebook

Jeez, that doesn't look good at all.

mark82

don't let yourself be dragged into this if it does turn to be not genuine - how does the account go from 0.33 balance to -27.67 if a payment of £4000? if that comes after and makes it a credit it would still be .67 at end not .33 it really don't add up

Someone probably already pointed this out as I'm just catching up but you're reading the account the wrong way. The 4k took it down to -27.67 then a £28 payment in took it back to 0.33.

SlowerThanPlatt

I’d hate to believe a Cov fan is ripping fellow supporters off but a lot of things just don’t seem to add up and his defence hasn’t exactly been solid

higgs

That is a mental price. And this isn’t me giving it the big I am. But I’d be getting my money’s worth within the hour.
Id be vomiting after an hour and it wouldn't by from sea sickness !!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

It is personal data:

It is disclosing to a 3rd party information about a contract between the company and James that James would reasonably expect to be kept confidential.
There is no argument to support disclosing it on the basis if somebody purporting to have had their own contract with James and already some understanding of what he paid.

duffer

What genuine company let’s customers pay for a service via bank transfer, how does the tax man keep track of that?

Via the accounts would be the usual way. The taxman doesn't generally pop around to count the cash or look at the cheques himself. ;)

Plenty of businesses use direct bank transfers to accept payments. fwiw.

itsabuzzard

I thought it was the norm these days? I do most of my transactions this way.
Via the accounts would be the usual way. The taxman doesn't generally pop around to count the cash or look at the cheques himself. ;)

Plenty of businesses use direct bank transfers to accept payments. fwiw.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

WillenhallSkyBlues

If I was paying such a big amount there’s no way I’d do it via bank transfer, that would ring alarm bells straight away if a company asked that of me, id want to pay through a proper payment channel via a website, personally.

Nick

Administrator
If I was paying such a big amount there’s no way I’d do it via bank transfer, that would ring alarm bells straight away if a company asked that of me, id want to pay through a proper payment channel via a website, personally.

It depends who it is.

No issue with paying by bank transfer for some things, others I would use a Credit Card for safety after being stung a couple of times.

I wouldn't send £1200 to a random for something via Bank Transfer although I'd probably pay a company for a boat trip by bank transfer but I'd want receipts / confirmations.

mark82

The boat company said that less had been paid and broke down what it was all for in detail. To be fair from the other side a snippet of £4,000 going out to a random name doesn't really show that much at all compared to what's come from them.

To be honest, it doesn't even show it goes to them apart from the title.

That's not me saying £4k didn't go to them, just that it doesn't really prove anything at all (from a neutral aspect).

To really prove them wrong you could:

1. Show the booking confirmation / invoices that show what you were getting
2. Show how your payments match these amounts

The screenshots haven't really cleared anything up, they have just confused it even more.

I assume the bank has been called to ask if every payment did go through?

Remember there were 2 boats too, so even if genuine the higher figure proves nothing. There is surely correspondence between James and the company.

Concerning about the other European trips too. James could find himself in a lot of trouble if someone decides to take this down the legal route.

fernandopartridge

Hmmm wonder how he’s getting hold of these packages (if they exist that is)
They clearly don't as he said it was £100 deposit, yet the only airlines he's likely to use for these demand upfront payment so he'd be very lucky to get the air fare for each trip under that amount.

He's a very naive individual indeed if he's not a fraud.

WillenhallSkyBlues

It depends who it is.

No issue with paying by bank transfer for some things, others I would use a Credit Card for safety after being stung a couple of times.

I wouldn't send £1200 to a random for something via Bank Transfer although I'd probably pay a company for a boat trip by bank transfer but I'd want receipts / confirmations.

Wouldn’t mind paying for some things via bank transfer, but only for small amounts. No way would I transfer a boat company in London big amounts like 4K, if it went tits up there’s no way the bank would refund that.

jon1990c

Remember there were 2 boats too, so even if genuine the higher figure proves nothing. There is surely correspondence between James and the company.

Concerning about the other European trips too. James could find himself in a lot of trouble if someone decides to take this down the legal route.
Was the second boat he says he had ‘genuine’? Only heard about and seen the one boat - the one I was on. Or is it another exaggeration of numbers which happens often with coach’s,trips etc by James

Nick

Administrator
Wouldn’t mind paying for some things via bank transfer, but only for small amounts. No way would I transfer a boat company in London big amounts like 4K, if it went tits up there’s no way the bank would refund that.

If there's a statement / invoice and you get a payment confirmation there's not really that much of an issue. That's if it is a proper company with a paper trail.

Issue with paying by card is the fees.

duffer

It is personal data:

It is disclosing to a 3rd party information about a contract between the company and James that James would reasonably expect to be kept confidential.
There is no argument to support disclosing it on the basis if somebody purporting to have had their own contract with James and already some understanding of what he paid.

The first thing is that James made it public himself (possibly with incorrect figures). I think that negates any breach under GDPR - the information had been made publicly available by the person involved.

If I'd written to the boat company and said something along the lines of, I booked a seat on your boat on the understanding that there would be free beer, it wouldn't be a breach for the company to say that the organiser hadn't taken the free beer option.

Whether they should have said exactly how much was paid is debateable, but again given that the organiser had publicly claimed to have paid a figure that the boat company dispute it's understandable that the company might want to correct that. Again, it's hard to claim a duty of confidentiality if you yourself have published the figures you claim to have paid and to whom.

Sky Blue Harry H

Was the second boat he says he had ‘genuine’? Only heard about and seen the one boat - the one I was on. Or is it another exaggeration of numbers which happens often with coach’s,trips etc by James

Why did you go on the trip if you thought James other trips etc were dubious? Honest question. I know that you have come on here peeved, but you seem to know/think all his activities are suspicious but chose to go on a boat trip organised by him (which happened), you just didn't get a few free pints?

chiefdave

He started doing trips to football games as packages aswell
Not being funny but those sort of trips are cheaper on Thomas Cook and you've got a chance of actually getting there. You can go on their website and see all the details of your trip before you book. Why would you hand over a grand to James when the only details you have are turn up at the airport!

The 'whole plane' thing sets off alarm bells. Not even the big travel companies have dedicated flights to these events, it will be split with people going on weekend breaks and the like. The idea that there's enough demand from the regulars down the Wallace to fill these flights is ludicrous. Weren't the flights for the pre-season tour supposed to be like this only for it to turn out they were regular budget airline flights he'd booked?

rob9872

If he was a fraud then you'd expect 5,000 Wembley packages at approx £50 average (£250,000) to have been the time he disappeared not this one. I still, perhaps naively, believe that this is an honest mistake gone very wrong.

letsallsingtogether

I think that's what he will be doing, but as you said it's mob mentality. One guy was threatened on there for saying he thought his coaches were alright, so i understand his unwillingness to go on FB. He has made a mess of this and is trying to get everything sorted for people, it's not helped by every time he goes on to try and sort it he has people threatening to hurt him.
That is the problem with FB everyone wants a say most of them were not even on the trip.
Has nothing to do with any of us apart from those involved.
I know James always seemed a genuine lad, him and his son sit in our row at the Ricoh didn't look well on Saturday but at least he had the bollocks to go to the game and not hide from anyone.

There was a women on FB saying serves him right as he was robbing the club of money by doing coaches, she said we could buy players with the income made.

Otis

Yeah. I'm still in the boat (no pun intended) of innocent until proven guilty, but have to admit it doesn't look good.

It sounds like it should be easy to prove or disprove with the correct paperwork.

The longer it drags on the worse it will get and the more the doubt will set in.

I now don't think it is just about refunding. It is also about clarifying and reassuring.

And trust going forwards.

Grendel

In the end why would anyone go on a trip which is organised by an individual. Does he have public indemnity? It’s bonkers.

fernandopartridge

The first thing is that James made it public himself (possibly with incorrect figures). I think that negates any breach under GDPR - the information had been made publicly available by the person involved.

If I'd written to the boat company and said something along the lines of, I booked a seat on your boat on the understanding that there would be free beer, it wouldn't be a breach for the company to say that the organiser hadn't taken the free beer option.

Whether they should have said exactly how much was paid is debateable, but again given that the organiser had publicly claimed to have paid a figure that the boat company dispute it's understandable that the company might want to correct that. Again, it's hard to claim a duty of confidentiality if you yourself have published the figures you claim to have paid and to whom.
Fair enough, I can see your argument. The ICO would be best to advise!

Users who are viewing this thread