The boat/James (1 Viewer)

duffer

Fair enough, I can see your argument. The ICO would be best to advise!

Absolutely, and in fairness mate I'd totally agree that in any other circumstance you and d&c are spot on in that the company shouldn't be giving out the info to a third-party without permission. But I think because it's been self-published this would be a hard one to get a judgement on. I'm not the ICO though and this is just my opinion - if James feels wronged he should complain, definitely.

Fwiw, GDPR is a bit of a nightmare in my area which relates to credit modelling (trust me, it's not as exciting as it sounds!), because of the various opt-ins and opt-outs regarding processing data that are now available to individual customers. Lots of people still scratching their heads at my place, meetings every week about how to handle it; suffice to say it's a complex area. I'd rather complain about SISU or Wasps but no one at work will listen to me any more. :)

Either way, still don't want to see the bloke threatened, which I suppose is where I came in.

pusbccfc

I'm desperate to believe him and do believe therr are genuine mistakes having been made.

I have been on his coaches a couple of times and had absolutely no problems.

However, I agree with some people about the lies that keep popping up. James was going on about 3 party boats being sold for that day. However, he now says it was 1 party boat and 1 family boat.

Where was this family boat? It wasn't with us during the day. No one seems to have said they went on it?

duffer

It would be the Coach firms themselves?

Tricky one that. If you paid me for a seat, and I'd booked but didn't pay the coach firm, I don't think the coach firm is under any obligation to refund you directly or provide you with the service.

There's obviously an element of trust here, and in fairness to James he seems to have run a lot of these and helped a lot of people to travel cheaply and without incident. For me personally that's a mark in the plus column...

letsallsingtogether

I'm desperate to believe him and do believe therr are genuine mistakes having been made.

I have been on his coaches a couple of times and had absolutely no problems.

However, I agree with some people about the lies that keep popping up. James was going on about 3 party boats being sold for that day. However, he now says it was 1 party boat and 1 family boat.

Where was this family boat? It wasn't with us during the day. No one seems to have said they went on it?
I know of at least one poster on here who went on the family boat.
It was mentioned on an earlier thread that one went ok as no booze was advertised on that one.

rob9872

Tricky one that. If you paid me for a seat, and I'd booked but didn't pay the coach firm, I don't think the coach firm is under any obligation to refund you directly or provide you with the service.

There's obviously an element of trust here, and in fairness to James he seems to have run a lot of these and helped a lot of people to travel cheaply and without incident. For me personally that's a mark in the plus column...
I think he means public liability insurance not for the price of the ticket. In fairness it's no different to what we do with L&W supporters and equality a level of trust but I'd 100% back anything those lads did and no reason to think otherwise.

duffer

If I was paying such a big amount there’s no way I’d do it via bank transfer, that would ring alarm bells straight away if a company asked that of me, id want to pay through a proper payment channel via a website, personally.

I see what you're saying but a lot of companies don't have that facility - especially ones that are mainly business to business. Funnily enough I prefer not to pay things via a website, especially to small businesses whom I don't always trust to have adequate levels of security.

If I could offer just one bit of advice for anyone who isn't aware of it, it's always worth putting some part of any fair sized purchase on a credit card if you can (especially Cars, TVs, or things of that nature). Then you get some level of protection from a thing called Section 75 where the Credit Card company may be obliged to refund you if the goods or services are not delivered, fit for purpose, or as described. It's a very, very handy thing to have in your back pocket if you fall into a dispute with the vendor and they're not being helpful.

Even better, you don't have to put the whole amount on the card, just a small part of (say) the deposit will cover you for the whole purchase. :)

Sky Blue Harry H

I think he means public liability insurance not for the price of the ticket. In fairness it's no different to what we do with L&W supporters and equality a level of trust but I'd 100% back anything those lads did and no reason to think otherwise.

Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance - OR, an Onion with part of a pie in it.

Sorry Rob, always loved messing with words - blame my Nan for all the games of Scrabble!

duffer

Sorry. completely missed that. As a private individual just organising bookings I'm not sure he'd have to have public liability would he? The coach company certainly would be obliged though, I'm sure.

jon1990c

Why did you go on the trip if you thought James other trips etc were dubious? Honest question. I know that you have come on here peeved, but you seem to know/think all his activities are suspicious but chose to go on a boat trip organised by him (which happened), you just didn't get a few free pints?
Not at all I haven’t asked for my money back, I wasn’t bothered at first was generally still a good boat something different. And Iv said fair play to him on many busy occasions for him such as Wembley and few other away trips - there have been a few issues as to be expected but generally always get to where you need to be - so I thought why not . It was constantly advertised and a lot of friends were going on it. However he does and is known to exaggerate on the amount of coaches he has, passengers on his flights etc. He told some 4,3,2 boats. People are stating different figures, different things about all his trips which he told them and lies are flying left right and centre. Basically he just needs to come forward with the truth it’s not about the refund it’s the fact he can’t provide simple email confirmation which would of been sent, therefore is a 7000 difference near enough with that he told everyone and the fact the emails said he 100% knew it was not free bar and food. So lies yet again..

Rusty Trombone

I know of at least one poster on here who went on the family boat.
It was mentioned on an earlier thread that one went ok as no booze was advertised on that one.
Wasn't it James that said it went ok, on this thread, post 97? Or do you mean you actually know someone who went on the family boat?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

In Jimbo's defence, If anyone is stupid enough to pay £1200 for a trip to Barcelona then he should be allowed to keep the money.

Fuck me, you could literally buy a round the world flight ticket for that much.

All jokes aside though, I don't like to see threats but this does look bad. There is so much naivety about. Even when he was doing the coaches to Wembley, what did people think?

If he made only a £1 profit on every coach seat then we're talking thousands and thousands.

WhaleOilBeefHooked

In Jimbo's defence, If anyone is stupid enough to pay £1200 for a trip to Barcelona then he should be allowed to keep the money.

Fuck me, you could literally buy a round the world flight ticket for that much.

All jokes aside though, I don't like to see threats but this does look bad. There is so much naivety about. Even when he was doing the coaches to Wembley, what did people think?

If he made only a £1 profit on every coach seat then we're talking thousands and thousands.

In his defence though, there's nothing wrong with that. He's providing a service, at below the rate you can get elsewhere, and generally speaking the coaches work well (minus a few hiccups which was always going to happen). So he should make a profit, he's not a charity.

I also agree that it doesn't look good. The radio silence is bad, and whoever is advising him to stay quiet is a terrible teacher.

I hope that this is truly a cock up of the highest order... however you do need to consider his past. I understand people are saying that second chances should be given, and rightly so, but you should always be mindful of previous issues. Leopards don't change their spots etc etc. And the fact is he's previously been in prison for fraud which was deceptive and calculating (I know exactly what he did) and ultimately stupid - in general and how he got caught. Coupled with all these little stories popping up and this fits fraud typologies to an absolute T (get everyone invested and trusting early doors and then go for a 'big hit' by offering boat trips and Euro trips) and you have a whole new shitstorm. The constantly saying he's 'poor' doesn't help either as that's another incentive.

One thing for it. Share evidence. If he doesn't, the silence is deafening and is effectively akin to admitting it. If he does, he's vindicated.

James. Do the right thing before you get too deep into this - both reputationally and before people start contacting the police.

Specs WT-R75

I’ve tried to reply and get a bit of my side across on Facebook but it’s impossible as does become a witch hunt.
I know what the email says but in one transaction to them alone I did send more than that, I messed up massively on this and was hoping it would be a different way to travel, I would never purposely rip off City fans, as I’ve said on Facebook, if I was to do that then I’d charge more for coaches I do week in week out, or even charge more for badges etc.
I’m currently sorting out refunds and then I’ll go about clearing my name on Facebook, this is a mistake. I know people say I’m a fraud for what I’ve done, on the day I said to the staff I’ll put my card behind the bar to sort a tab out, that would have left me massively out of pocket (so that’s not the best fraudster in the world), I’ve made mistakes in the past and done my time for that.
I’m sorry to everyone who travelled and am trying to get this rectified ASAP.

You haven't though. You could get your side across by posting copies of invoices and the only reason that you haven't done that is because they won't corroborate what you have said elsewhere. The £4000 transaction if legitimate is for 2 boat trips not one as you have already mentioned you had a family boat that also sailed without any issues at all.

There is only 2 explanations here:

1) you are telling the truth - will be easy to prove that by just posting up a copy of the invoices for the boats...
or
2) you haven't been completely truthful with the details surrounding the boat, or have got some of the details mixed up thinking you were getting something that you weren't and the profit margins were too good to be true...

Look, I don't personally have any issues with you running a boat trip and making a bunch of cash from it. The issue is people that have been given the run around. Just come out and tell the whole truth, refund every penny of profit from the boat trip and chalk that one as a bad experience...

or you could carry on giving people the run around and they probably won't be using the coaches in the future either....

my 2cs.

harvey098

This is my synopsis.

James genuinely thought the money he was paying was for the unlimited drink option but he clearly didn’t read the booking form correctly, which is why he’s embarrassed to show that now because it will prove he didn’t have that included.

I think he genuinely paid that £4000 on the screenshot but probably not much more and the reason hes withholding some of the info is because he’s embarrassed to show how much money he wouldve actually made (which is why he’s rushing to refund people before having to show his figures).

This isn’t the act of a con merchant, it’s the act of someone who got it wrong but stood to make a lot of money because of their own wrong calculations and is now backtracking.

christonabike

So without reading through all the threads again how much do people think James has trousered? Or are we still waiting for screen shots?

ccfcway

Breaking news

Portsmouth’s connor Chaplin votes no to brexit after leaving sisu court case.

That should extend this thread well over the 100 pages

chiefdave

If there was a second boat doesn't that call in to doubt the email from the boat company which makes no mention of it? Would be odd to give a detailed breakdown, including the vessel name, but not even mention there was another boat.

clint van damme

If there was a second boat doesn't that call in to doubt the email from the boat company which makes no mention of it? Would be odd to give a detailed breakdown, including the vessel name, but not even mention there was another boat.

I think after the initial interest there was a plan for a second boat but I think loads dropped out so in the end the demand wasn't there.

Nick

Administrator
There's talk of a family boat though and people say they were on it, so there's your two boats.

Surely the first thing James should have replied was "What they have listed is only one of the boats?"

I don't really think he is helping himself in any of it, just adding more confusion.

WhaleOilBeefHooked

Surely the first thing James should have replied was "What they have listed is only one of the boats?"

I don't really think he is helping himself in any of it, just adding more confusion.

Trying to be diplomatic here, but it looks like he's attempting things which are above and beyond his capabilities - both from a commercial point of view and an intelligence one, too.

ccfcricoh

I didnt go so wasnt going to comment but seeing as this is topic of the month!

Surely if James refunds everyone that paid £20 that should be the end of it? The only issue was lack of free drink? So £10 for a boat trip seems reasonable?

its irrelevant how much he was going to make because everyone was going to happily pay anyway?

I may well be missing loads but oh well!

Users who are viewing this thread