The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (37 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Astute

Actually it is indeed not all bad news. Spain for example, is coming back. The Eurozone is recovering. People are looking to reform the EU. The 27 are pulling together more because of Brexit.

How are things going in the British government? How's inflation doing in the U.K.? What is happening with inward investment to the UK? How's the pound doing? What direction is the unemployment forecast suggesting? What's the good news in the U.K.?
Reform the EU? Not when all 27 countries have got to agree.

Spain Unemployment Rate | 1976-2017 | Data | Chart | Calendar | Forecast

Astute

We still wouldn't take many refugees. We would just find another reason not to take many.
We always took many until the EU made their ruling. That was when we had the choice on who we let in.

Astute

So would anyone change their vote if it was held again?
I would consider voting leave if there was another vote. I have seen how bad the EU is since the last vote. And I am not alone.

Astute

This is for those who think.....or would like us all to believe that we are not doing well

tradingeconomics.com/country-list/unemployment-rate?continent=europe

martcov

What has benefited us?

The fact that we are wealthy country being in the EU - for all our problems - shows that EU membership has benefited us. Problems with the NHS and lack of affordable housing are not all the result of the EU, but the EU is a very convenient scapegoat as it lets our governments of the hook completely.

Kingokings204

Wait a minute.--- I thought we were being ruled by mad Merkel from Berlin? Now it is unelected burocrats. Which is it? How come we still have the pound and get involved in wars? That is not possible if we are being ruled by unelected burocrats. Maybe you are reading the wrong papers. You can propose legislation, but who passes the legislation? Who elects the memembers of the European Council ( a clue: elected representatives ) and the European Parliament ( another clue: people like you )? And as a comparison, since you are so concerned with democracy...... who elects our Queen, who elects our Lords, who elects our judges and who elects our civil servants? When are we going to reject our undemocratic system? We could elect a senate, a president and introduce a council of the isles ( all countries in the U.K. To have their own parliaments ) and all elections by proportional representation. So, when we have done that, then you can slag off the EU for being undemocratic, but until then you should keep off the subject.

Funnily enough I agree with you. The House of Lords i cannot stand. Happily get rid of those. As for the queen it's a fair point but I enjoy having a queen and find her good for the country. She is part of our history and proud history at that.

I notice you didn't disagree with having unelected wealthy beaurocrats comment I made. Well that's because it is sadly true.

Astute

The fact that we are wealthy country being in the EU - for all our problems - shows that EU membership has benefited us. Problems with the NHS and lack of affordable housing are not all the result of the EU, but the EU is a very convenient scapegoat as it lets our governments of the hook completely.
We are not wealthy. We are heavily in debt. Just not as heavily in debt as most EU countries. And a lot of that has been caused by the Euro.

martcov

I agree if people on this thread are anything to go by. They haven't noticed how bad the EU has become.

Whatever you may claim, the previous centuries of nation states was far worse. The EU is still very young and is still absorbing the former eastern countries. There has been tremendous progress up until now and it will evolve even more as time goes by. It is certainly not becoming worse.

martcov

We are not wealthy. We are heavily in debt. Just not as heavily in debt as most EU countries. And a lot of that has been caused by the Euro.

Blame the Euro. We are not in it. The interest rate is virtually null. My mortgage is now 1,18%.

Astute

really? Says who?
That is the problem. Many voted remain because the lies to get the leave vote were easy to see. We were told that we were in massive trouble if we voted leave. Shares were supposed to crash. Millions of jobs would be lost. But it didn't happen. People wouldn't be scared to vote leave if it happened again.

Astute

Blame the Euro. We are not in it. The interest rate is virtually null. My mortgage is now 1,18%.
OMG. So are you now saying that being in the Euro has been good for all countries?

Kingokings204

The latest polls

I haven't seen them.

I saw two yougov polls showing now both 69% and 70% accept brexit and want to get on with it. I saw a general election where 84% people voted for parties who in their manifesto said to leave the eu and single market.

Kingokings204

That is the problem. Many voted remain because the lies to get the leave vote were easy to see. We were told that we were in massive trouble if we voted leave. Shares were supposed to crash. Millions of jobs would be lost. But it didn't happen. People wouldn't be scared to vote leave if it happened again.

And an emergency budget and mortgages would rise heavily. Project fear I think they called it.

There was no positives and hence why they lost.

Astute

Why are you comparing economic migrants from the EU, who are net contributors, to refugees coming from Europe from Africa?
I would prefer someone who needs a safe place over someone who wants a better place.

Astute

No I said we are not in the Euro and that there are some benefits e.g. Low interest rates from the EZB. European Central Bank.
We set our own rates. Things will go shit here when they go up. The UK has been surviving on debt again. I suppose it can be blamed on Brexit when interest rates rise though.

Astute

Taxman is a c unit ( Schäuble ). They want 6% interest on a tax assessment going back 2010-2012. I have refused to pay as it is totally out of line with the EZB low interest policy. This will go to court. Will see if I win.
Would love to see you win. But you won't beat them though. That is unless you are a billionaire. You could easily get away with it then.

Users who are viewing this thread