The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (8 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Grendel

I'm a massive 'remoaner' but I'm prepared to say Junker is a twat. One man doesn't make an organisation though, he's head of the commission which can pass no legislation without putting it through the, directly elected, EU parliament.

Could we have someone better in his position? Yes, definitely.
Does that warrant abandoning the whole thing? No.

Yeah his predecessor was a hoot

EU furious over Jose Manuel Barroso’s new job at Goldman Sachs

Astute

But the point of that is those countries take more to develop their economy and infrastructure. Once they do there will be no need to divert funds to them and there will be much more money to be made all round through trade.
Like Greece and others that have gone backwards since joining?

clint van damme

Try and explain this away instead of ignoring it then.

explain what? ESB1 mentioned Farage. I replied to him. Not sure what you can't grasp about that.
You then said the one that should be kept away from negotiations is junker, implying he was worse than farage, and as I said, I will never agree with that.

NorthernWisdom

The Greek government cooked their books, how is that the fault of the EU?
In 2012 the Greek government cutoff welfare and pension payments to 200,000 people found to not actually qualify for benefits. The crackdown was do in large part to pressure from the European Union and IMF to fix the welfare system.

(my emphasis)

According to the IMF, pensions account for around 17 percent of the country’s GDP. The spending on pensions is among the highest in the European Union. The pensions require very large state subsidies.

I'm looking forward to us leaving the EU, and our statutory retirement age plunging downwards... Damn those technocrats for suggesting that's not sustainable.

Grendel

But the point of that is those countries take more to develop their economy and infrastructure. Once they do there will be no need to divert funds to them and there will be much more money to be made all round through trade.

Sorry that's just utter nonsense.

Countries such as Greece and Portugal will never reach a position remotely capable. They are like a house owner on a 500% mortgage but on a rate his next door neighbour would get at 50%. The banker - the European bank - is desperately suppressing rates to the one country that allows the cheap funding to the extent that it's savers get negative rates - that despite inflation lurching to 3%.

Southern states such as Italy are a trillion in debt and Spain worse with crippling unemployment.

Astute

The Greek government cooked their books, how is that the fault of the EU?
They went tits.up after joining the Euro.

If it was down to the Greek government why didn't the EU check before opening the blank checkbook?

Astute

(my emphasis)

I'm looking forward to us leaving the EU, and our statutory retirement age plunging downwards... Damn those technocrats for suggesting that's not sustainable.
Explain this as we keep raising it.

Too much back slapping here and unhappy people because of the vote to have a serious debate.

Astute

The overwhelming majority of Italians dodge paying proper taxes due to a collective mindset. Damn the EU!
And money goes to Italy so they can dodge tax? Shows how bad the EU system is if you are being truthful.

Kingokings204

They went tits.up after joining the Euro.

If it was down to the Greek government why didn't the EU check before opening the blank checkbook?

The Greek government were basically forced into the euro zone by Goldman Sachs and big businesses and big banks.

The government of today in Greece have admitted to not should of joined the euro. It's ruined them. They can't recover.

Astute

They were long in trouble before joining the euro, ffs
But it was made much worse by joining the Euro.

I have neighbours that moved here from Greece. I know what has gone on. She was born here. I work with her brother. They had their own business. They have land there. They were very well off before they joined the EU. But when Greece joined the EU and Euro it went downhill very quickly. They sold what others could afford to buy and have started again here.

But I suppose you know more than they do.

martcov

Greece has not gone backwards though. It had a good run until the finance crisis which hit it more than others because it cheated - with help of others - to get into the Euro. It was always weak. The strongest part being shipping which had tax privileges, and tourism where loads of business was black.

martcov

The Greek government were basically forced into the euro zone by Goldman Sachs and big businesses and big banks.

The government of today in Greece have admitted to not should of joined the euro. It's ruined them. They can't recover.

I didn't know they were forced in, but I do know that the books had to be cooked to get in.

Astute

Greece has not gone backwards though. It had a good run until the finance crisis which hit it more than others because it cheated - with help of others - to get into the Euro. It was always weak. The strongest part being shipping which had tax privileges, and tourism where loads of business was black.
I'll tell my Greek neighbours that people that have never lived in Greece know what happened better than they do.

Strangely enough they think we will be better off out of the EU.

Liquid Gold

I'm not saying it's been perfect and they couldn't have done many things differently. The way Greece has been treated is appalling. I do however believe that, given time, the richest union in the world will find a way to make it work. You may disagree but neither of us can say for certain, anybody that claims to is lying.

Grendel

I'm not saying it's been perfect and they couldn't have done many things differently. The way Greece has been treated is appalling. I do however believe that, given time, the richest union in the world will find a way to make it work. You may disagree but neither of us can say for certain, anybody that claims to is lying.

How do you define "the richest union in the world"?

Liquid Gold

@Astute you said that you voted remain but thought this thread (recently at least, I can't be bothered to look back) you seem to be wholly critical of the EU. What were your reasons for voting remain?

Astute

@Astute you said that you voted remain but thought this thread (recently at least, I can't be bothered to look back) you seem to be wholly critical of the EU. What were your reasons for voting remain?
I am not wholly critical of the EU.

What I don't like is people unelected by us elect a twat like Juncker who isn't doing what is best for most. Some try and say that he isn't strong. But he is the head. He should want what is best for most.

Then you have millions of homeless people here. But he wouldn't allow Cameron negotiations on how to slow down the movement of people here. Then we have to give money to countries that waste billions on nuclear weapons. And at this time we have about a million people who rely on foodbanks.

Yes we could all pay more tax. But over 50% take more out of the system than they put in.

If we had a say on what goes on I would be happy to stay in. But we would be staying in what is becoming a monster.

Astute

They have reached such a low point that the Greek people can't see a way out.

I am off to Greece next week. Lovely people lovely place. But it isn't the place it was just a few years ago.

Astute

Don't you find it odd that all of these countries around the world are keen to do a free trade deal with a crumbling bloc with so much debt?
The whole world should be able to have free trade. It would benefit all. But Juncker wants you to join his club for it to happen.

martcov

They have reached such a low point that the Greek people can't see a way out.

I am off to Greece next week. Lovely people lovely place. But it isn't the place it was just a few years ago.

Record number of tourists... actuallyin making plus at the moment. Profiting from the make Turkey great again from Erdogan..

martcov

The whole world should be able to have free trade. It would benefit all. But Juncker wants you to join his club for it to happen.

Yes. But. The problems start with subsidies and price dumping. That's why you need a club with rules as opposed to free for all. Never mind you'll find out what I mean post Brexit.

Terry Gibson's perm

Ahhh yes, Britain was supposed to be the first to leave the crumbling bloc. What happened to the Brexiteers' predictions of Austria, Holland and France joining them? If anything, Brexit will make the EU even more unified.

It sounds like Star Wars to me all unifying into the first galactic empire under the powers of emperor merkal, I would imagine others will wait to see how this goes and that is why the Eu are playing hard ball.

Users who are viewing this thread