The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (12 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Astute

We should never have had the referendum. We have now split the country virtually 50:50 and put the whole economy at risk for the next few years. And for what? Juncker? He’s leaving. Trade deals? The EU has got some big ones e.g. Canada and Japan. Control? Of our economy? Our biggest ally has started a trade war and won’t be giving any favours. Eastern European migrants? We need them. And that will become less as their countries catch up. Fish? We need the EU fish market to sell them.

We’re running out of time to present a workable position to the EU. It’s almost at a penalty shootout for Brexit now. Let’s hope we win the World Cup, we need the feel good feeling and some unity.
Try looking at things both ways. Then you will understand much more.

So we need the market to sell the fish? 60% of fish sold in the EU is caught in our water. But we don't catch that 60%. Other countries are allowed to catch more in our water than we are. It would be the EU that would suffer the most. And our stocks would go up as the fish wouldn't be caught. And all the fish we consume would be caught by our own fishermen.

Last edited:

Captain Dart

Davis resignation letter.
Dhpx_VGXkAEhiuv.jpg

OK its a fake but quite amusing n'est pas?

Kingokings204

Davis had to go really. What choice was he left with after Chequers. It’s simply not brexit and now Boris now ironically has the chance to be a hero.

The government aren’t delivering brexit and May is on a knife edge. You can’t please both sides. You have to now go one way or the other. We need a brexit PM like from the start and to quote David Davis if I don’t believe in what I’m doing then someone else will be better for the job.

skybluetony176

Just following on from FP’s comments this is one of the things I’ve never understood from the leave campaign. We’ve been members of the EU for best part of a half century, how anyone ever thought that untangling ourselves from a culture, practice and ideology that has literally shaped this country, everything it does and how it does it not just within the EU but also the rest of the world was going to be easy I don’t know. That’s before you even start to consider that we’ve got to set up a new culture, practice and ideology on how we’re going to deal with the Eu and the rest of the world. I struggle to see how anyone couldn’t foresee the pending disaster that is a hard brexit and frankly anyone in power and influence claiming that this would have been easy needs holding to account for that.

skybluetony176

Boris gone now!

Someone who can’t be trusted. In his column the Monday after the referendum he was describing his vision of what Brexit will be and basically described EEA membership in all but name. It was at that point Gove turned on him and tendered his own bid for the leadership. Now all of a sudden you’ve got Gove backing a softer Brexit because he’s a “realist” and Boris resigning because brexit isn’t hard enough even though it’s harder than what he was selling as Brexit immediately following the referendum. Boris is a pure populist who will change his mind like the wind. Worse than Trump even because at least Trump sticks to his guns.

chiefdave

Boris gone now!
The good news for May is that she now apparently holds the record for most cabinet resignations in 9 months.

Michael Fallon, Priti Patel, Damian Green, James Brokenshire, Justin Greening, Amber Rudd, David Davis and now Boris.

Strong and stable!

Kingokings204

May is toast now. It was only a matter of time.

Finally some politicians with balls. Could of easily just stayed on keeping quiet. Bravo Johnson and Davis.

Kingokings204

But he did keep quiet for as long as he thought he could, just like he did before the referendum.

It’s easy to criticize. He didn’t have to resign now and just carry on but it is a very principled decision. He must be applauded in an age when career politicians are easy come by. I know Boris isn’t perfect and looks after Boris but on brexit he has been consistent.

Last edited:

Captain Dart

Boris gone now!

Just hope he never gets back. With any luck he will start a leadership contest and May will be out and some dark horse takes over.

The good news for May is that she now apparently holds the record for most cabinet resignations in 9 months.

Michael Fallon, Priti Patel, Damian Green, James Brokenshire, Justin Greening, Amber Rudd, David Davis and now Boris.

Strong and stable!

Who holds the record for shadow cabinet resignations, I'll give you a clue the initials are JC.

covfanman

Just hope he never gets back. With any luck he will start a leadership contest and May will be out and some dark horse takes over.

Who holds the record for shadow cabinet resignations, I'll give you a clue the initials are JC.

People are just scared of the left and change.

What we really want is Dave Nellist handing out leaflets outside westminster!

Kingokings204

He did if he wanted to keep his leadership hopes alive. Pure opportunism.

I don’t agree. Yes he wants to be PM. But what is he meant to do if he really disagrees in the Chequers deal? Just stay on and get paid the wage. He can’t win.

David Davis resigned does he want to be PM as well? Of course not. It was a principalled decision.

martcov

Try looking at things both ways. Then you will understand much more.

So we need the market to sell the fish? 60% of fish sold in the EU is caught in our water. But we don't catch that 60%. Other countries are allowed to catch more in our water than we are. It would be the EU that would suffer the most. And our stocks would go up as the fish wouldn't be caught. And all the fish we consume would be caught by our own fishermen.

We need to cooperate with people bordering on our waters and buying our fish. There is no alternative.

martcov

I don’t agree. Yes he wants to be PM. But what is he meant to do if he really disagrees in the Chequers deal? Just stay on and get paid the wage. He can’t win.

David Davis resigned does he want to be PM as well? Of course not. It was a principalled decision.

BoJo let Davis Jump first and set the ball rolling. He then joined in later so he couldn’t be blamed when May‘s government collapses. BoJo has no principles. It’s all going to plan for him.

Kingokings204

BoJo let Davis Jump first and set the ball rolling. He then joined in later so he couldn’t be blamed when May‘s government collapses. BoJo has no principles. It’s all going to plan for him.

What’s his plan then?

SIR ERNIE

As a leave voter who has subsequently realised how entwined with the EU our trade is, it's clear to me that there is no other option than a soft Brexit which means hopefully EEA.

I read an article about a year ago by the excellent Peter Hitchens which as time has gone by has become more compelling by the day. The EEA (Norway) option would appear to give us control of our destiny whilst delivering on the most important Brexit points and give businesses the reassurance they need regarding continued frictionless trade with the EU.

"By choosing instead to stay in the European Economic Area (EEA), we can leave the EU, make our own trade deals with non-EU countries, but stay in the single market. This (not the quite different Customs Union) is what allows us to have friction-free trade through the Channel Tunnel and across the Irish border. And no, it doesn't force us to accept 'free movement'.

EEA members are allowed to activate Article 112 of the EEA agreement, the so-called 'emergency brake'. Under this rule, tiny Liechtenstein has effectively managed to suspend 'freedom of movement' indefinitely, and operate its own quota system.

This is a precedent which Britain, with far more clout, can and should follow. The window is open"

The full article: PETER HITCHENS: Squawk about Brexit and miss easy escape | Daily Mail Online

Astute

We need to cooperate with people bordering on our waters and buying our fish. There is no alternative.
Why is that?

They are our waters. They emptied their own. Why should we be able to let them keep emptying ours?

Comments like this show you are more interested in the EU than the UK.

martcov

Why is that?

They are our waters. They emptied their own. Why should we be able to let them keep emptying ours?

Comments like this show you are more interested in the EU than the UK.

Comments like yours show lack of comprehension.

Sick Boy

I read an article about a year ago by the excellent Peter Hitchens which as time has gone by has become more compelling by the day. The EEA (Norway) option would appear to give us control of our destiny whilst delivering on the most important Brexit points and give businesses the reassurance they need regarding continued frictionless trade with the EU.

"By choosing instead to stay in the European Economic Area (EEA), we can leave the EU, make our own trade deals with non-EU countries, but stay in the single market. This (not the quite different Customs Union) is what allows us to have friction-free trade through the Channel Tunnel and across the Irish border. And no, it doesn't force us to accept 'free movement'.

EEA members are allowed to activate Article 112 of the EEA agreement, the so-called 'emergency brake'. Under this rule, tiny Liechtenstein has effectively managed to suspend 'freedom of movement' indefinitely, and operate its own quota system.

This is a precedent which Britain, with far more clout, can and should follow. The window is open"

The full article: PETER HITCHENS: Squawk about Brexit and miss easy escape | Daily Mail Online

I posted a while ago that this is what I expected to happen and still think it will do. It'd go someway to repairing a fractured country.

Captain Dart

The entire agreement is going to be fudge all the way through, always was going to be so. Politicians never do anything else.

By the way as predicted.

SkyblueBazza

The resignations can divide us just as much as the actual 'agreement'.

First thought might be 'strong principled/staying true to the cause' etc for resigning...or maybe 'traitors to the cause/toys out of the pram' for some. Ultimately, if they don't believe the course is one they feel they are capable of delivering - perhaps they are right to go.

Whichever way you look at it...it is no less than we really expected from one set or the other in the cabinet - & in the cold light of day is yet another fine example that virtually all of these people couldn't give a flying f**k about what is best for the country - but what is best for themselves!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

skybluetony176

Sounds like a sensible, pragmatic solution. Which is probably why it won’t happen ;)

Users who are viewing this thread