The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (49 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Grendel

Because some goods were cheaper through the black market either side of the border so cross border smuggling was big business. Before the 70’s also.

When did the government say that we aren’t going to enforce a border.

It’s always been the governments position - some disagree with it but that’s the position

Why mention smuggling when it’s irrelevant now?

What I’m really interested in is when passports were not inspected on border crossing. I don’t know the answer but I think it’s pre 1992

Sick Boy

It is a complete non-issue.

As I have pointed out before - people happily go visiting the US & eat copious amounts of said foul (see what I did there?) produce.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It is an issue as it would banned from entering the EU, and therefore an open border would not be possible.

dancers lance

I think the tax revenue from the airline and ferry industry alone will keep the country afloat for years, that's if all the people who have promised to leave this hateful, racist society, full of bigoted morons, stand by their word after brexit and migrate. But if I was a betting man, I would say it will be about the same percentage as promised to leave America if Trump got elected............no fucker!

Grendel

It is an issue as it would banned from entering the EU, and therefore an open border would not be possible.

Let the Eu bring up the border then

Astute

You really don’t read anything. I said sort the border out and that will shape the trade deal. Somehow you’ve twisted that into the exact opposite of what I said.
1, Point out where you said that.

2, Explain how solving the Irish border will shape any sort of trade deal.

skybluetony176

It’s always been the governments position - some disagree with it but that’s the position

Why mention smuggling when it’s irrelevant now?

What I’m really interested in is when passports were not inspected on border crossing. I don’t know the answer but I think it’s pre 1992

You saying it’s the governments position is not answering the question. When have the government said it was their position?

If we end up with a hard border it won’t be irrelevant and the PSNI wants to prepare for it. They have half the numbers now that they had in the troubles, many border police stations have shut since the troubles also. The PSNI wants to open/reopen police stations and recruit 100’s of officers to police the border should there be one. Smuggling being their major concern, they’re also hoping that it’s just goods this time and not arms also. They also won’t have the help of the British army this time.

skybluetony176

1, Point out where you said that.

2, Explain how solving the Irish border will shape any sort of trade deal.

11am this morning on this thread. I think you even replied to the post.

If I really need to explain that to you then you really don’t understand the issue and it’s probably best you duck out of this one.

SkyblueBazza

As we all know...the EU rules & regulations are very flexible. So it's an administrative issue. In the real world - it is chicken. People want to buy it if it is priced right = non-issue

dancers lance

As we have made such great strides handing back sovereignty to countries we colonised during the expansion of the empire, perhaps the time has come to treat Ireland with the same respect.

Grendel

You saying it’s the governments position is not answering the question. When have the government said it was their position?

If we end up with a hard border it won’t be irrelevant and the PSNI wants to prepare for it. They have half the numbers now that they had in the troubles, many border police stations have shut since the troubles also. The PSNI wants to open/reopen police stations and recruit 100’s of officers to police the border should there be one. Smuggling being their major concern, they’re also hoping that it’s just goods this time and not arms also. They also won’t have the help of the British army this time.

Smuggling is of zero concern - even marts Irish journalist chum admits that so stop talking nonsense. It’s not the Irish punt and massive tariff differences

It’s always been the government position - you may not agree on its practicality but it’s the position

UK will refuse to enforce hard Irish border with EU even in 'no deal' Brexit, says cabinet minister

Grappa

As we all know...the EU rules & regulations are very flexible. So it's an administrative issue. In the real world - it is chicken. People want to buy it if it is priced right = non-issue

In the US there are 1.2 million salmonella cases every year, 23,000 hospitalisations and 450 deaths. In the EU in 2016 there were 1,766 hospitalizations and 10 deaths. The EU has a larger population than the US. See here.

skybluetony176

Smuggling is of zero concern - even marts Irish journalist chum admits that so stop talking nonsense. It’s not the Irish punt and massive tariff differences

It’s always been the government position - you may not agree on its practicality but it’s the position

UK will refuse to enforce hard Irish border with EU even in 'no deal' Brexit, says cabinet minister

So. Your proof of it always being the governments stance is an article in a newspaper apparently quoting an unknown cabinet member. Not really proof at all.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/hard-brexit-will-lead-to-surge-in-cross-border-smuggling-says-report-1.3359154?mode=amp

Irish smugglers’ Brexit bonanza

Smugglers could dodge up to £1bn under Theresa May's Brexit plans, campaigners warn

martcov

Why eat chicken when you can have horse?.......2013 horse meat scandal - Wikipedia

Was the horse meat legal? Or did it break EU laws?

And btw, Brexit is dead. The transition period is getting longer and support for a people’s vote is growing. How did Farage‘s ‚save Brexit protests’ go today? Any idea why Farage gets so much coverage on BBC? Scumbag should be brought before a court and charged with deception.

Sick Boy

If other countries were forcing their inferior quality of produce that was banned in the UK, there would be outrage. Just another example of massive hypocrisy

martcov

They aren’t very flexible. That’s why Trump wants the food regulations lowered or dropped. The EU hasn’t done that. If you want to eat crap it is your decision, but if the elected government won’t let us import it, then we either accept it, or vote for someone else next time. It is democracy, get over it.

Captain Dart

In the US there are 1.2 million salmonella cases every year, 23,000 hospitalisations and 450 deaths. In the EU in 2016 there were 1,766 hospitalizations and 10 deaths. The EU has a larger population than the US. See here.

Its yet another a straw man to argue that after leaving Europe the UK will lower standards to match the United States, we have always had higher food hygiene standards and will continue to do so, Furthermore EFSA stakeholders have requested the UK remain a member as a 3rd country after leaving the EU in order to be able to influence its decisions. Source House of Lords library briefing : Leaving the EU: Food Safety.

dancers lance

Was the horse meat legal? Or did it break EU laws?

And btw, Brexit is dead. The transition period is getting longer and support for a people’s vote is growing. How did Farage‘s ‚save Brexit protests’ go today? Any idea why Farage gets so much coverage on BBC? Scumbag should be brought before a court and charged with deception.
I think that reply is a tad reactionary, are you assuming I'm a Farage lover based on proof or hyperbole?

Astute

If I really need to explain that to you then you really don’t understand the issue and it’s probably best you duck out of this one.
What you have said is nothing like what was on the BBC link. But of course you will deny it.

Astute

You’re still spectacularly missing it. In fact you’re further away now than you were at the beginning.

Try putting the horse before the cart. If the Union means anything to you, if the Northern Irish economy means anything to you, if the people of Northern Ireland mean anything to you, if the GFPA means anything to you you will sort out the border issues first and let that dictate what the trade deal will look like. If you want to dismiss the union, the Northern Irish economy, the people of Northern Ireland and the GFPA then by all means put trade first.

This was the 11am post.

Then you said this.

You really don’t read anything. I said sort the border out and that will shape the trade deal. Somehow you’ve twisted that into the exact opposite of what I said.

Then this was your excuse.

So as you can see you never said what you said you did.

You are trying to change your story as I have shown you to not knowing what you are talking about.

What a surprise.

Grappa

Its yet another a straw man to argue that after leaving Europe the UK will lower standards to match the United States, we have always had higher food hygiene standards and will continue to do so, Furthermore EFSA stakeholders have requested the UK remain a member as a 3rd country after leaving the EU in order to be able to influence its decisions. Source House of Lords library briefing : Leaving the EU: Food Safety.

Yeah, good one.

You said 'Furthermore EFSA stakeholders have requested the UK remain a member as a 3rd country after leaving the EU in order to be able to influence its decisions. '
House of Lords library briefing : Leaving the EU: Food Safety says:
"After the UK leaves the EU, it will cease to automatically be a part of ESFA and other EU food safety bodies. In a recent statement, the Government said that “options for the future of risk assessment and scientific advice in the UK are currently being developed by the Government […] Requirements will depend on the nature of the relationship the UK has with the European Food Safety Authority once the UK leaves the EU”. The European Union (Withdrawal) Bill would give ministers the power to transfer the functions of EU authorities to UK public authorities."
Not quite the same thing.

You also said 'we have always had higher food hygiene standards and will continue to do so'
"Concerns have been expressed that the UK’s animal welfare standards in food production could be compromised in order to achieve free trade agreements; for example, witnesses to the House of Commons Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee highlighted areas in which US standards diverge from EU standards. However, in evidence to the same Committee, the Secretary of State for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, Michael Gove, stated that there were certain food standards on which the UK would not compromise."
Well if Gove has stated that there were certain food standards on which the UK would not compromise, then that's again not quite the same thing that you stated.

So basically, my post was not 'yet another straw man' you complete and utter fucking bellend. And that's not a fucking ad-hom. Retard.

Astute

If other countries were forcing their inferior quality of produce that was banned in the UK, there would be outrage. Just another example of massive hypocrisy
So who has been forced to take it?

Captain Dart

Dp-YoTOXcAAxZup.jpg

Astute

Yeah, good one.

You said 'Furthermore EFSA stakeholders have requested the UK remain a member as a 3rd country after leaving the EU in order to be able to influence its decisions. '
"After the UK leaves the EU, it will cease to automatically be a part of ESFA and other EU food safety bodies. In a recent statement, the Government said that “options for the future of risk assessment and scientific advice in the UK are currently being developed by the Government […] Requirements will depend on the nature of the relationship the UK has with the European Food Safety Authority once the UK leaves the EU”. The European Union (Withdrawal) Bill would give ministers the power to transfer the functions of EU authorities to UK public authorities."
Not quite the same thing.

You also said 'we have always had higher food hygiene standards and will continue to do so'
"Concerns have been expressed that the UK’s animal welfare standards in food production could be compromised in order to achieve free trade agreements; for example, witnesses to the House of Commons Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee highlighted areas in which US standards diverge from EU standards. However, in evidence to the same Committee, the Secretary of State for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, Michael Gove, stated that there were certain food standards on which the UK would not compromise."
Well if Gove has stated that there were certain food standards on which the UK would not compromise, then that's again not quite the same thing that you stated.

So basically, my post was not 'yet another straw man' you complete and utter fucking bellend. And that's not a fucking ad-hom. Retard.
Would you like to explain how the UK has a better rate.of keeping to standards and being better than EU standards. Countries throughout the EU fail.to keep up with EU targets.and rules yet nothing ever happens. But once we leave the EU we are suddenly going to be worse than those in the EU that we are better than now.

Sick Boy

Yeah, the UK is really going to dictate the terms of a UK-USA trade deal and will definitely not be lowering standards to ensure it gets one.

Astute

Yeah, the UK is really going to dictate the terms of a UK-USA trade deal and will definitely not be lowering standards to ensure it gets one.
So why was you so happy when you was celebrating an EU/USA trade deal when the UK wasn't getting one?

Users who are viewing this thread