The Jones Enigma (2 Viewers)

cc84cov

The deal had been done between the clubs and personal terms agreed
He was injured the next day before he was able to have his medical at Leeds
Very sad all round
What fee was agreed ?

chiefdave

There’s also the CCFC branding to consider. Do we want to look like a club (to players who have a choice of who to sign for) who stands by through thick and thin (we did for 3 years) and then discards?
I don't think we need to worry about this. We've kept him on the books for several years with multiple serious injuries. Can't see any player avoiding the club on the basis of the way Jones has been treated.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I don't think we need to worry about this. We've kept him on the books for several years with multiple serious injuries. Can't see any player avoiding the club on the basis of the way Jones has been treated.
To be honest if a player is worried about being injured for 3 years then being cut loose - id he worried about said players injury record.

someone like Keith O’Neil would be worried about this, but to the General Football world we’d look good atm

Sick Boy

Very sad all round
That must have been terrible - I don’t remember it being known amongst the fanbase at the time.

SlowerThanPlatt

In some cases yes, in some no.

Looking at this case:

He’s had all the ACL damage that could ever happen and it’s unlikely to occur again.

He’s now got back to fitness for a while and looks useful.

He’s 24, not 29.

I still think some kind of retainer deal with and option was the way forward. It’s like if your car has a big crash, you spend all the money repairing it and then you give it away. That’s ridiculous, right? You either write it off at the outset or repair it and run it or repair it and sell it.

We’ve repaired JJ and now give him away.

I await “duh, you can’t compare a car to a person” dribble but I stand by my logic.

Jodi Jones was a great talent who was subject to bids by (Leeds?) pre ACL. If he gets back to his best (I think he will, he’s shown tremendous mental fortitude) then he’s a great asset.

We’ve given him away without trying to put some sensible / innovative plan in place to recoup our losses or bring him back to the first team by letting him go out on a decent length loan.

There’s also the CCFC branding to consider. Do we want to look like a club (to players who have a choice of who to sign for) who stands by through thick and thin (we did for 3 years) and then discards?

Bottom line, I just have a feeling that we may kick ourselves for throwing our cards in on Jones rather than risking just a very few more chips.

The Leeds interest 5 years ago is not really a reason to keep him. He would have had a couple of loans, enjoyed a nice wage and returned back to League 1/2 like Stevenson and Harries. The ones with exceptional talent like Maddison progress.

fernandopartridge

The Leeds interest 5 years ago is not really a reason to keep him. He would have had a couple of loans, enjoyed a nice wage and returned back to League 1/2 like Stevenson and Harries. The ones with exceptional talent like Maddison progress.
Jones was a standout player though unlike those two, you could see he had something about him and still can to an extent.
£2m is more than they paid for some of the players in their current PL team.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The club's support of him through his injury is admirable (though I did question the financial sensibility of giving him a new contract the second and third time). Which makes the season just gone even more baffling.

To have given him those contracts the club must have felt it was worth persevering with him for the future. Then when he gets injury free the manager fails entirely to give him a chance to prove himself. Could have given him a loan early on in the season when it looked like we had other options, but didn't. He was on the bench but didn't play him. Then similarly in Jan he doesn't send him on loan as he wants to give him a chance, then largely fails to do so. Yes, there was Covid but even when he was over that he wasn't used.

It's not like he was terrible in the few opportunities he got. He looked reasonable and like he could add something from the bench at least. Not like he's a disruptive influence either and was more than willing to play in U23 games.

I just don't understand what the plan was.

Best of luck for the future Jodi and I hope you have a long and fulfilling career.

The Philosopher

£2m would have been handy money at the time, we were at the “bottom of the cycle” as TF succinctly spouted.

I’m guessing, as was our MO at the time, the add one may have been promotion and sell on clauses. Leeds went up, so even handier money.

He’s not worth this now (in fact he’s worth nothing, he’s a free agent) but he has that bit of something about him.

I’ll stand by my view.

If we had offered him a contract would we have been entitled to a development fee if he moved (can never remember if it’s 24 & under or under 24)?

SlowerThanPlatt

Jones was a standout player though unlike those two, you could see he had something about him and still can to an extent.
£2m is more than they paid for some of the players in their current PL team.
Yes but still feel would have been exactly the same result. You have to remember season before he rarely started in our relegated League 1 side.

SlowerThanPlatt

I don’t think any new players would care tbh. Most if not all will never have heard of him

The Philosopher

Yes but still feel would have been exactly the same result. You have to remember season before he rarely started in our relegated League 1 side.
He was about 18 and playing against yampy bogans. Players mature and fill out, he was in track.

His interview on one of the podcasts was insightful, had opportunities to go to many of the big academies as a youth but wanted to plough a different furrow.

robbiekeane

Very sad all round
That’s tragic. Really really hope he smashes it in league one then signs for a good championship team

better days

Don’t underestimate the power of peer reference, in any line of industry.
Tbh it wouldn't affect any future player's decisions about whether òr not to join
No player expects to get injured so it wouldn't be part of their process in making a decision
And there were 5 or 6 other players who were released at the first opportunity after sustaining ACLs while with us

KenilworthSkyBlue

Don’t underestimate the power of peer reference, in any line of industry.

This is a bit ridiculous.

We've stuck by him through three ACLs.

We've also been lauded by commentators, people within the industry and the national media for this as most clubs would've likely let him go years ago.

Regardless on my views on how well he's been handled this season, it's highly unlikely Jones would give a poor review of the club given it's played a massive part in ensuring he's in a position to even think about playing again for another club again.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Very sad all round

We've also been lauded by commentators, people within the industry and the national media for this as most clubs would've likely let him go years ago.

Regardless on my views on how well he's been handled this season, it's highly unlikely Jones would give a poor review of the club given it's played a massive part in ensuring he's in a position to even think about playing again for another club again.
This is well worth another watch - and reiterates how grateful he was to the club and fans. The mental fortitude of the guy to come back from 3 ACLs is just amazing. If he does go on to have a top career, I'll be a bit gutted it wasn't with us, but more happy for him after all he's been through.

SlowerThanPlatt

Indeed, his only grievance should be that he didn’t get more minutes this season but Robins will have his reasons for that. We gave him the best chance possible and lots of support but it seems he isn’t quite good enough for where we are now.

SlowerThanPlatt

I think that you underestimate how good he was.

I don’t think I do. It’s all conjuncture but I would rank his potential/talent similar to the other players I’ve listed. Tom Bayliss and McNulty looked great in our League 2 team too, got moves to Championship clubs and well…

Last edited:

Hertsccfc

I don’t think I do. It’s all conjuncture but I would rank his potential/talent similar to the other players I’ve listed. Tom Bayliss and McNulty looked great in League 2 too, got moves to Championship clubs and well…
Jones was patently more talented than McNulty. I am staggered that you think they were comparable. McNulty was an effective League 2 goalscorer, but has done very little above that level and doesn't appear to have the skill to play any higher. I don't think he would have worked for us in League 1 and we got a great deal from Reading.

If Jones hadn't had the injuries, and was still with us, he would be one if our most talented players now, on a level with Hamer, o'Hare, Gyokeres and Sheaf. He stood out in League 2 and was clearly well above that level.

What happened was incredibly sad for him and a big blow for the club. I feel we have supported him. I suspect we thought there was a chance that he could fully recover or at least sufficiently to perform at this level, so that's why we kept hold if him until now. I can only imagine but don't know that the view is that he has not recovered enough to play consistently at this level. I am sure it is not through any doubts about his abilities.

I really hope he goes on to have a good career as he has been so unlucky. It's a shame it won't be with us.

SlowerThanPlatt

If Jones hadn't had the injuries, and was still with us, he would be one if our most talented players now, on a level with Hamer, o'Hare, Gyokeres and Sheaf. He stood out in League 2 and was clearly well above that level.

While I respect your opinion I really don’t see that at all, with or without injuries.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Jones was patently more talented than McNulty. I am staggered that you think they were comparable. McNulty was an effective League 2 goalscorer, but has done very little above that level and doesn't appear to have the skill to play any higher. I don't think he would have worked for us in League 1 and we got a great deal from Reading.

What happened was incredibly sad for him and a big blow for the club. I feel we have supported him. I suspect we thought there was a chance that he could fully recover or at least sufficiently to perform at this level, so that's why we kept hold if him until now. I can only imagine but don't know that the view is that he has not recovered enough to play consistently at this level. I am sure it is not through any doubts about his abilities.

I really hope he goes on to have a good career as he has been so unlucky. It's a shame it won't be with us.
Jones didn’t show anything special in league one, to suggest he’d be on the level of Hamer, O’Hare, Gyokeres and sheaf. He was Pacey and caused lower league cloggers problems, but doesn’t necessary suggest he’d be able to do the same at this level

I hope he goes on to have a good career, he’s been through a lot, unfortunately we’ve progressed quicker than expected

mark82

Think he'd have comfortably been a championship level player without the injuries. 3 ACLs in short succession is bound to impact your career. He's looked good in flashes this year without quite being the same player. Definitely seems to have lost a bit of speed (or maybe the confidence to get up to full speed). Would love him to go on and have a good career, but probably the right time to move on.

mark82

Jones didn’t show anything special in league one, to suggest he’d be on the level of Hamer, O’Hare, Gyokeres and sheaf. He was Pacey and caused lower league cloggers problems, but doesn’t necessary suggest he’d be able to do the same at this level

I hope he goes on to have a good career, he’s been through a lot, unfortunately we’ve progressed quicker than expected

Was very young in our league one relegation season. Hard to tell. We may never know what he could've been.

lordy_87

I remember the Lincoln manager I think saying after a game that Jones was the best player in the division. I do feel he would have faired a lot better than the likes of bayliss and stevenson. IMO he still looks more than capable in the championship when he's made is cameos, but it's the right decision to let him go and let him get in with his career now.

higgs

If it wasn't for the injuries I recon he would have been good enough to play at championship level. I hope he manages to get a good move now play plenty of injury free football. Seems to be a decent young lad he deserves some luck now

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hobo

I think this is best for both parties. Jones has had a torrid time with injuries. He needs to take one or two steps back to reset his career. He needs regular football.

Coventry stuck by him during injury but have had two promotions and are pushing for the nect one.

Users who are viewing this thread