The Queen (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

Well

This thread changed direction 😆

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Someone's posted they nearly died in a Vietnamese jungle and no ones batted an eyelid. Place is mental.

Elaborate please ESB.

Ok, story time...

I was riding a motorbike from Ho Chi Minh City, heading north towards Da Lat. The sun goes down in that part of the world as fast as turning a light switch off and the weather can also change on a dime. I stupidly, and rather hungover, thought I could ride further in one day on those god awful roads than was actually possible.

I was suddenly stuck in a monsoon in the middle of the night and had to take refuge in the jungle. I used the bungee chord which was holding my bergen on the back of the motorbike to anchor down a tree and use it as a shelter. I then used the tarpaulin which was meant to keep said bergen dry to complete my shelter along with the bungee chord.

Made it out after two days of getting lost thanks to marking my tracks with twigs. Phone was obviously destroyed in the weather.

At least there were no wild paedophiles!

*For more great stories like this you can buy my book.

hill83

Ok, story time...

I was riding a motorbike from Ho Chi Minh City, heading north towards Da Lat. The sun goes down in that part of the world as fast as turning a light switch off and the weather can also change on a dime. I stupidly, and rather hungover, thought I could ride further in one day on those god awful roads than was actually possible.

I was suddenly stuck in a monsoon in the middle of the night and had to take refuge in the jungle. I used the bungee chord which was holding my bergen on the back of the motorbike to anchor down a tree and use it as a shelter. I then used the tarpaulin which was meant to keep said bergen dry to complete my shelter along with the bungee chord.

Made it out after two days of getting lost thanks to marking my tracks with twigs. Phone was obviously destroyed in the weather.

_o-AeCgySpVLp24aX6VsfGNeRgR2uAS0pfRX3G5lXzV4yCmTLZOPLidaneob_UsvCHSfWdBIPyWhe_dgPZXepQWsDWnbgZNq_w

Grendel

If you want to go down that route then the Rainbows go down to 4 or 5 years old. If you cannot (or won´t) see that it is a bit dodgy that the GirlGuides movement is talking about stuff like this, then there isn´t a lot more else I can say.

I was part of the scouting movement for over ten years and did a lot of stuff for charity along with learning a lot of skills, some of which actually saved my life when I got stuck in the Vietnamese Jungle two years ago. They are great organisations who do a lot for good causes, but this just is not appropriate whatsoever.

If we are devoting the thread to girl guides this is far more concerning - I remember it at the time and found the rational bizarre

JAM See

Who gets discriminated against in the girl guides because they aren’t having sex?
Go on then...

"I don't know. Who gets discriminated against in the girl guides because they aren’t having sex?"

I hope the punchline is good.

Reactions: COV

Grendel

lol, so by that logic you’ll be lodging a formal complaint to the police about whoever posted that tweet?

giphy.gif

robbiekeane

I was riding a motorbike from Ho Chi Minh City, heading north towards Da Lat.
I did that! After a night getting after it inhaling god knows what out of those balloons. Good way to learn how to ride a bike

It’s the water buffalo you’ve got to watch out for on the roads, I nearly fucking died!

Brighton Sky Blue

For me it’s just the endless need to tell kids about labels adults have invented in the last five years that don’t really mean anything. I’d hope most 11 year olds are asexual.

Sex and relationship education is definitely needed at all ages. But they shouldn’t be sat wondering if they’re a gender fluid otherkin.

I read this as gherkin I’ll be honest

Brighton Sky Blue

Ok, story time...

1635842115790.jpeg

olderskyblue

All I saw on my screen was a little box. Which to be fair was also quite a funny response.
Me too. I thought he’d hit him with a 60’s insult…

duffer

Ok, story time...

Good story. Probably a completely daft question, but wouldn't it have made more sense to just stay at the side of the trail until daylight?

My bike broke down in the Cotswolds once, in the middle of a wintry night. I took shelter in the men's bogs in Broadway, running the hand dryer every now and then to keep warm. And that's my story officer, and I'm sticking to it. :)

(Not as good as yours though, less bitey things in the Cotswolds for starters).

(Edit: Technically I think this should read 'fewer bitey things', which are presumably also less bitey. My inner pedant can't let this go, sorry!)

Last edited:

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I did that! After a night getting after it inhaling god knows what out of those balloons. Good way to learn how to ride a bike

It’s the water buffalo you’ve got to watch out for on the roads, I nearly fucking died!

It is an amazing experience isn't it? I dont touch those balloons but saw many other people doing it and they were almost brain dead!

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Good story. Probably a completely daft question, but wouldn't it have made more sense to just stay at the side of the trail until daylight?

My bike broke down in the Cotswolds once, in the middle of a wintry night. I took shelter in the men's bogs in Broadway, running the hand dryer every now and then to keep warm. And that's my story officer, and I'm sticking to it. :)

(Not as good as yours though, less bitey things in the Cotswolds for starters).

(Edit: Technically I think this should read 'fewer bitey things', which are presumably also less bitey. My inner pedant can't let this go, sorry!)

Good question. The weather was so bad that not only could I not ride in it, but I was completely exposed to the elements at that point. I have never seen rainfall like it. I needed to find some shelter and ended up encroaching on the jungle to get under some canopy. Short term solution that caused a long term problem.

duffer

Good question. The weather was so bad that not only could I not ride in it, but I was completely exposed to the elements at that point. I have never seen rainfall like it. I needed to find some shelter and ended up encroaching on the jungle to get under some canopy. Short term solution that caused a long term problem.

Absolutely fair point. I've never done it, and likely never will, but I'm guessing you don't have to go too far into the jungle to never be able to find your way out. A bit like an IKEA store, or supporting City! :)

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Absolutely fair point. I've never done it, and likely never will, but I'm guessing you don't have to go too far into the jungle to never be able to find your way out. A bit like an IKEA store, or supporting City! :)

That´s exactly right. My mentality was the same and then I woke up in the morning and realised I might as well have been airdropped into the middle of nowhere!

god i miss vietnam. beer cheaper than water - them little cans of Saigon

I had an absolutely mental night out in Saigon and woke up in the morning wondering what the damage would be on my bank account, bear in mind I was buying drinks for seemingly everyone. Spent 26 quid. So then I did it again the next night, and the next, until 5 days later I thought I was going to die and decided to get out the city. Then I ended up in the jungle. Not my finest hour exactly, but certainly memories made forever! Cheers Girl Guides!

Users who are viewing this thread