The top three places you miss most from Coventry city centre (1 Viewer)

Captain Dart

just found this.. well dodgy nightclub.

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-7_20-29-13.png
    upload_2018-3-7_20-29-13.png
    413.9 KB · Views: 23

Brighton Sky Blue

The salads ARE huge. Every time any of us order a salad we have to get a doggy bag to take about a half of it home.

Reckon they just tip an entire bag of salad leaves in there. Also free refills so diabetes on tap for whoever wants it.

Otis

Pizzas are awful though. At least mine and the wife’s were. Barely cooked doughy crap. But we are a bit snobbish when it comes to pizza.
Oh. Odd. They have won awards for their pizzas.

Must confess I usually go for a toastie with sides. We have been now 5 times and we have all loved it every time.

Grendel

Well rough that place. Only ever went in once. Didn't stop long at all.

West Indian club in hillfields was a one off memorable experience.

Brighton Sky Blue

Pizzas are awful though. At least mine and the wife’s were. Barely cooked doughy crap. But we are a bit snobbish when it comes to pizza.

Haven't had a bad one from there yet and they do allow quite a lot of free extra toppings. It's one level up from the world falling out of one's arse after a Domino's or Papa John's though.

dutchman

Was that on Far Gosford Street? I remember an army shop next to the old Hand and Heart, now a Dominos Pizza bizarrely.
Walsgrave Road, opposite Gosford Green (right) and the bank on the corner (left) was Lloyds.
6113014090_fea1c4961e_z.jpg

Another view showing the White Lion:
6113015500_a9e1b93f85_z.jpg

ajsccfc

Walsgrave Road, opposite Gosford Green (right) and the bank on the corner (left) was Lloyds.
6113014090_fea1c4961e_z.jpg

Another view showing the White Lion:
6113015500_a9e1b93f85_z.jpg

Cool thanks. I only have very vague memories of the pre-Sky Blue Way days, think the old man used to go in the White Lion but had to change to the Hand and Heart once they started the roadworks.

wingy

Great pictures, the Ring Road and associated Sky Blue Way has created so many cut off and bizarrely shaped pieces of land.
I'm having a job remembering now what was there prior to Skyblueway.
Was it even a Road?
Anyone remember, was it just the continuation of Binley rd?

eastwoodsdustman

Binley road came in one side of Gosford Green and Walsgrave road/ Ball hill from the other. The Bus used to go down far gosford streetas far as i can remember. Sky blue way went down the back of the old Lloyds bank building.

clint van damme

I'm having a job remembering now what was there prior to Skyblueway.
Was it even a Road?
Anyone remember, was it just the continuation of Binley rd?

you know what, I travelled up and down there on the bus for about 5 years in my youth going to work up in Bodmin Rd and I can't remember for the life of me what was there.
I can remember the White Lion, that's about it.

dutchman

The bank on the corner was the original Humber factory. Big fire there in 1908.

(Before my time and, I assume, yours ;))
Remnants of the factory survived as a garage in my day, during WW2 it was used as a temporary fire station.

The bank had shops along two sides and office chambers above. The shop on the corner of Far Gosford Street sold fresh poultry and there were dead birds hanging up outside.

Moff

Yeah, used to love Browns. Used to love it too at the old place in the lower precinct.

And me. Do you remember when it first opened in the lower precinct, was one shop width wide, and was a bit on the cramped side. It was much better when they extended it into the shop space next door. Was never so keen on the new place.

Moff

The cafe upstairs in bhs a real treat when my grandma took me there to meet her friend and watch them drink tea not sure if I ever go a drink though

Enjoyed going to the BHS cafe too. My grandparents always stocked up on the sugar cubes they let you help yourselves too with the cups of tea. They were wrapped in paper so they ended up grabbing a handful each stuffing them in their pockets and taking them home.

ccfcno9

Wasn't Nellos quite popular?
Had my 1st ever pizza there. Pizza hut, Domino's were unheard of back then. I loved them but they were only about 4inches diameter.
Virgin records close by, great place to go and listen to albums before deciding whether to buy or not.
Locarno Saturday night :, the revolving stage between sets of house band( Pete's people I think) and Pete Waterman. The relief if you came out via lift and not down the stairs with assistance of bouncers

Terry Gibson's perm

Enjoyed going to the BHS cafe too. My grandparents always stocked up on the sugar cubes they let you help yourselves too with the cups of tea. They were wrapped in paper so they ended up grabbing a handful each stuffing them in their pockets and taking them home.

They were a treat getting to eat sugar cubes I am sure my grandma always took plenty as well as she rarely bought sugar but had a tin full of cubes

skybluesam66

Top Spot nightclub was a real place to be scared of - next to the Parsons nose
Only went in there once i think, never to return, scarred for life

wingy

Top Spot nightclub was a real place to be scared of - next to the Parsons nose
Only went in there once i think, never to return, scarred for life
Oh I had one of the most surreal Nights of my life in the 80's on what I think was my only ever venture .
Anyone remember the Irish bouncers name, one of his sons ended up running the Fletch pub.
Sorry if going off topic.

Users who are viewing this thread