The World Cup Thread (4 Viewers)

Otis

You wouldn't say that if it was given offside and var proved it a good goal. Swings and roundabouts
Exactly.

I think it worked well.

Bit annoyed the refs aren't policing the 10 yard rule.

Spain just had a freekick, the ref sprayed the line and then Iran stood on the line in a way so only their back foot was on the line.

Needs adhering properly otherwise they will all be doing it.

SkyBlueSoul

I just hate that it’s just advocating responsibility to refs and linesman. They just don’t make any decisions anymore
They're still making all the same decisions, it's just they can now be called up if they've made an error or want to check something game changing. Not saying I'm a massive fan but the main issue for me is the time taken. If it leads to the right decisions being made then I won't complain.

Otis

They're still making all the same decisions, it's just they can now be called up if they've made an error or want to check something game changing. Not saying I'm a massive fan but the main issue for me is the time taken. If it leads to the right decisions being made then I won't complain.
Yep, same here.

We all want the correct decisions at the end of the day don't we?

Covstu

Not sure myself, just seems like VAR is the easy way out. Might as well not bother with the ref and just announce it on the tannoy

SkyBlueSoul

Not sure myself, just seems like VAR is the easy way out. Might as well not bother with the ref and just announce it on the tannoy
I thought the same when goal line tech was brought in, felt it took away the human element but once I saw it in action and how quickly the ref was informed I changed my mind. If every decision was automated I would agree with you but the only reason it gets so much attention and is controversial is because it's only brought in for the big, game changing decisions.

It was a farce when it was used in England last season but seeing it implemented properly is very slowly winning me over.

Reactions: vow

Otis

I thought the same when goal line tech was brought in, felt it took away the human element but once I saw it in action and how quickly the ref was informed I changed my mind. If every decision was automated I would agree with you but the only reason it gets so much attention and is controversial is because it's only brought in for the big, game changing decisions.

It was a farce when it was used in England last season but seeing it implemented properly is very slowly winning me over.
Yeah and as many of us keep saying, it's new and it will improve. We just need to give it time.

If it fails, we ditch it, but it is still in its infancy at the moment and we need to give it a chance to work.

Maybe the World Cup wasn't the right place for it, but it needs to continue to be trialled.

SlowerThanPlatt

Would love a Croatia victory tomorrow to put the Argies on the brink

Denmark v Australia (1pm)
France v Peru (4pm)
Argentina v Croatia (7pm)

Otis

I’m convinced pundits just say things like this for the sake of it

Be extremely lucky if he even bags one all competition.

His shooting on the whole is quite poor and he is always snatching at shots.

He scores so many for Man City because they create so many chances and also put it on a plate for him.

The Golden Boot notion is just laughable.

Esoterica

Be extremely lucky if he even bags one all competition.

His shooting on the whole is quite poor and he is always snatching at shots.

He scores so many for Man City because they create so many chances and also put it on a plate for him.

The Golden Boot notion is just laughable.
Sterling is great...when he doesn't have time to think. He's a talented but stupid footballer unfortunately. He suits Man City perfectly when in a forward 3 and everything is quick and instinctive but in a slower international game where he needs to make intelligent decisions he is made to look stupid. If he ever gets an injury that affects his pace or when his legs start to go a bit, his career will go downhill rapidly, in a similar way that Shaun Wright-Phillips' did.

ajsccfc

Something I read that makes sense is that at Man City everything Sterling does is towards goal as they're set up to counter quickly so his instincts and speed of thought take over, whereas with England he's more likely to play with his back to goal and surrounded so he snaps at things. Watching him in the friendlies and the opener, it all tallies up. I like him, but he may be a square peg in a round hole for England.

Otis

Something I read that makes sense is that at Man City everything Sterling does is towards goal as they're set up to counter quickly so his instincts and speed of thought take over, whereas with England he's more likely to play with his back to goal and surrounded so he snaps at things. Watching him in the friendlies and the opener, it all tallies up. I like him, but he may be a square peg in a round hole for England.
Completely agree with that.

He's a player I admire too, but for England it just doesn't happen for him.

A very interesting and telling statistic re his back to goal, if that is indeed true.

ajsccfc

I don't see Southgate changing a winning team, but I'd be happy for Loftus-Cheek to take his place and maybe move Alli or Lingard more forward where Sterling was.

Otis

I don't see Southgate changing a winning team, but I'd be happy for Loftus-Cheek to take his place and maybe move Alli or Lingard more forward where Sterling was.
He really should change it.

It makes sense to bring in Loftus-Cheek for Alli, Rose for Young and possibly Rashford for Sterling.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I can see him sticking with Sterling. He will score against a semi-professional Panama side and then all the people that won't stop kissing his arse will turn around and say 'I told you so.' Joke is on them though I guess, as if he stays in the team further into the tournament I suspect having him there will only hinder our chances.

Rashford is better for the team and scoring goals, and I'd even add Vardy to that. Sterling is the only player that seems to cause so much friction with the fans and I think the persistence to stick with him will only make things harder for us.

Welbeck has had a pretty rubbish season but still seems to be pretty good for the team, it can go the other way with players too.

Covstu

I can see him sticking with Sterling. He will score against a semi-professional Panama side and then all the people that won't stop kissing his arse will turn around and say 'I told you so.' Joke is on them though I guess, as if he stays in the team further into the tournament I suspect having him there will only hinder our chances.

Rashford is better for the team and scoring goals, and I'd even add Vardy to that. Sterling is the only player that seems to cause so much friction with the fans and I think the persistence to stick with him will only make things harder for us.

Welbeck has had a pretty rubbish season but still seems to be pretty good for the team, it can go the other way with players too.
Agree he will play Sterling again. I think he gets a lot of unfair criticism particularly after a superb season but that doesn't seem to count in fans eyes. I don't think he fits the system at all to be honest and better shaped to a winger style formation. Playing two upfront is would have to be Rashford with Vardy/wellbeck coming on in the last 20.

Alli doesn't look fit so not sure why he would play him again, RLC needs to get a game and maybe Delph in a more defensive position against Belgium to get hold of KDB.

SlowerThanPlatt

All the talk from the Australia camp has been about reducing the effectiveness of Eriksen. He’s a top, top player. Wonder how long it’ll be before he’s at Barca

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Australia are yet another team in this tournament that look like they are completely incapable of scoring a goal unless it is a penalty.

Very poor.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Again ref told to review a penalty (he deemed it no pen on the pitch) by VAR bunch it’s always going to be given if he’s told to review it! Header hits the Denmark player on the arm from about 3feet, ridiculous.

Otis

Again ref told to review a penalty (he deemed it no pen on the pitch) by VAR bunch it’s always going to be given if he’s told to review it! Header hits the Denmark player on the arm from about 3feet, ridiculous.
Hmm, my views are well known on deliberate and accidental handball situations, but the thing there was his arm was up and it did totally effect the ball travelling towards goal.

Can fully see why the ref gave it. What was daft however was the yellow card.

How can that be seen as being deliberate?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

It was a penalty though, if you are following the rules.

We are going to see so many given like this that are often incidents players get away with. It means the game is more fair, but in order to do that more of this is going to happen.

It just makes you realise how many of these incidents happen and don't get penalised.

Otis

We are going to see so many given like this that are often incidents players get away with. It means the game is more fair, but in order to do that more of this is going to happen.

It just makes you realise how many of these incidents happen and don't get penalised.
Think this one does make sense and you can see from the replay the ref is not in the best position to see it originally.

I sort of don't see that as being that controversial here. Very unfortunate , but can see why it was given and can see why the ref needed the replay

Nick

Administrator

The thing is though that they will only selectively do it so there is no consistency so it will piss people off. Loads of the incidents like that do happen week in, week out but then if you give a penalty for something soft and then ignore when Kane gets wrestled to the ground it doesn't work.

Otis

The thing is though that they will only selectively do it so there is no consistency so it will piss people off. Loads of the incidents like that do happen week in, week out but then if you give a penalty for something soft and then ignore when Kane gets wrestled to the ground it doesn't work.
The Kane one however was just bad refereeing. I think the ref today just didn't see this one properly. Once he saw the replay his decision was almost instant.

Users who are viewing this thread