Things From Your Childhood (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

What do you miss from your childhood ? I miss climbing trees,playing marbles and conkers,playing football over the fields with mates,and going on adventures. Any others ?

skybluejelly

I really miss not having responsibilities ..when the most important thing you worried about was if there was going to be 2 tom and jerry cartoons one after the other on a sunday afternoon instead of the normal1.i miss having a flat stomach and knowing what my willy looks like with out looking in a mirror,i also miss riding my bike no handed..its not that I cant do it now its the thought of the pain when I fall off..

skybluedan

Being care free. ( and shagging me sofa)
My wind up evil knievel
Cheese flavoured snaps
Fang face the werewolf and the groovy ghoulies and sport Billy

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Meeting sporting heroes and being in awe of them (Met City squads in 97/98 ish at Ryton I was 8/9 Dublin, Huckerby & Whelan sat next to each other! & again in 2000 when I was mascot photos and autographs with Keane, Hadji & Chippo)

Then at Edgbaston meeting Warwickshire players, big name opposition players & international teams and just that Wow, adrenaline rush feeling you get as a kid meeting these 'superstars!.

(On a side note I never get how many players don't have time for fans especially kids)

Gazolba

What do you miss from your childhood ? I miss climbing trees,playing marbles and conkers,playing football over the fields with mates,and going on adventures. Any others ?
Not having to work for a living. Not having any responsibilities. Having a Mum and Dad to take care of me (both are long gone). I didn't have to clean or cook. Life was full of possibilities and a whole future lay ahead of me. Most of the things I did then I could still do now, if I had the time and energy. Do they still make balsa wood gliders?

Gazolba

Going to the sweet shop with only a couple of pennies and having a whole selection of things to choose from.
My personal favourite were the liquorice pipes with the red sprinkles on the 'lit' end.
I loved the old sweet shops where all the sweets were in big glass jars on a shelf and they had to unscrew the top to get them out.

bringbackrattles

Going to the sweet shop with only a couple of pennies and having a whole selection of things to choose from.
My personal favourite were the liquorice pipes with the red sprinkles on the 'lit' end.
I loved the old sweet shops where all the sweets were in big glass jars on a shelf and they had to unscrew the top to get them out.
Us kids used to be down the sweet shop every night on Woodway Lane, it was full of stuff. Jars lined up on shelves, and of course we nicked the odd chocolate bar. Funnily enough the lady who ran it Norah ended up being one of my window cleaning customers,as she lived behind the shop right up to three years ago,as she passed away aged 92. I used to have a cuppa with her and she said she knew we nicked bars, but as we spent so much in there as well as our parents she let it go ! Great memories.

Otis

Off licences. Many memories of going to a pub and being served pop and crisps (shake the salt sachet ones) from the outdoor hatch.

Outdoor, free public paddling pools.

Hop on, hop off buses.

Going round mates' houses and knocking on doors to see if they would come out to play (and they pretty much always would).
None of this living in a virtual world nonsense! The two main things I use my phone for, phoning and texting, are the two things my daughter never uses her phone for.

Double headers at the cinema (two full length movies on together).

Standing on the terraces to watch the City.

Classic, top sitcoms and REAL must watch TV like Morecambe and Wise and Fawlty Towers and Monty Python and Porridge.

eastwoodsdustman

Playing football all day every day with my mates. Going fishing for 2 months solid instead of revising during exam leave.
At 45 I've climbed 2 trees in the last 2 weeks. Once to get a football back for a kid next door and another to get over a high fence to recover a football.
And I've got a wind up Evil Kenivel. Got it off ebay a few years back!

bringbackrattles

Off licences. Many memories of going to a pub and being served pop and crisps (shake the salt sachet ones) from the outdoor hatch.

Outdoor, free public paddling pools.

Hop on, hop off buses.

Going round mates' houses and knocking on doors to see if they would come out to play (and they pretty much always would).
None of this living in a virtual world nonsense! The two main things I use my phone for, phoning and texting, are the two things my daughter never uses her phone for.

Double headers at the cinema (two full length movies on together).

Standing on the terraces to watch the City.

Classic, top sitcoms and REAL must watch TV like Morecambe and Wise and Fawlty Towers and Monty Python and Porridge.
Did you go to the flicks on Saturday mornings ? Think it was called the tanner rush ? The Gaumont ? Crap films !

oakey

If you were running late for something you could just leg it and get there in half the time.
Now, after a painful 5 yards, it's realising that you need to find an excuse for arriving late.

bringbackrattles

Yep!! Saturday morning movies!! Used to love them!
A load of us used to go most Saturdays and it was westerns and funny sci fi stuff. My sister used to go to the Locarno too, and they had it open for kids on Saturdays. In the Gaumont they would blast out My Boy Lollipop by Millie which was popular then. Cheap but some would still creep in without paying.

ajsccfc

Sneaking into Freddie Birds and playing football most days on their pitch. Summer '95 in my head was that every single day while the sun shined for six straight weeks.

R

RB1992

Probably younger than most here...

- Collecting football stickers (exhausting the supply at your local newsagents, so resorting to sending off the the elusive 5 stickers you are yet to acquire)
- Pokemon (games and trading cards)
- "Playing Out" - I was probably the last generation who lived the majority if their childhood before mobile phones became mainstream (didn't have my first proper mobile until I was 14/15). This meant actually walking to your mates house and asking if they were coming out, not having a way to contact your parents and simply pre-arranging a time to be back for. Part of me feels sad that kids of today will never experience this.
- Highfield Road - The overwhelming smell of stale piss and sight of peoples backyards as I made the weekly pilgrimage with my dad up towards the Family Stand. Used to go in the Stoke ex-service before every match as well and always remember just being hit by a wall of smoke every time you walked into the main room, you could barely see the bar.

stupot07

Watching The A Team and Dukes of Hazard on a Saturday night after Grandstand!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
Those bangers in bits of paper you threw at the floor!

A post further up reminded me of them.

skyblueinBaku

Did you go to the flicks on Saturday mornings ? Think it was called the tanner rush ? The Gaumont ? Crap films !

I used to go to the Gaumont on Saturday mornings. I envied the posh kids who could afford to watch the film from the upstars balcony - their ticket was 9d.

trevelfarandwide

Hmm, plenty. Transformers toys, my vast GI Joe/Action Force collection (that my fucking mum threw away when I left home, I hate her I hate her it's not fair), those Nestle animal chocolate bars and Ribena after school, slapping people in Tae Kwon Do class at the Hillfields community centre, and smoking fags (aged 11) up Thomas King House so that my parents couldn't see or find me.

Anyone still have their footy Pro Set cards from the early 90's. I had a wad of those so thick, it could be used as kosh.

Users who are viewing this thread