Knight rider
Auf weirdershen pet
Central weekend
Red dwarf
Fantasy football league
Ren and stimpy
Proper music, swimming at cov baths, fishy moores
The Smithfield hotel
A barmaid from the old st Brendan's who no matter what round I bought always gave me a tenner in change

The HVC channel on Coventry cable TV
While I'm on about cable tv the sky blue show that was on the Colt channel

Listening to Billy Connelly and chubby brown tapes on my Walkman

Watching only fools and horses for the first time
Not having a mortgage

I liked street hawk a well , and the fall guy
Even the Christmas movies like the condor man or digby the biggest dog in the world

skybluedan

When I was little, before refrigerators were common, the sound of the ice-cream van coming up the street (they always played a jingle to get your attention). Then all the kids would rush out to buy a cone or a lollipop. And the ice-cream was the real stuff in those days, hand-made and delicious, scooped from a huge aluminium vat. The only flavour was vanilla but you could get a chocolate flake pushed into it.

Yeah I'm from radford and we had the same Asian ice cream man for ever in his yelling w shitty van
Best ice cream ever , I used to have a cider lolly with a blob of ice cream , Or a oyster

bringbackrattles

My thread has shown most of us would love to go back to our youth again. Let's face it adulthood is pretty shit so full of stress,and yes some kids had bad childhoods, but most of us loved ours. When I've met up with lads and girls from Walsgrave who were in our group back then,all have said how great it was and how they miss it all. Then again kids now probably think they have it better because of technology etc ? But we got on fine without it !

skybluesam66

WM travel ran it for about a year in the early 80's where kids could go into town for 2p. You could go cov baths, fishy moores and get home for less than £2.
you could even do it on the 900 to brum
I remember it was the year we went all seater, and a villa supporter mate, including travel said it was cheaper for him to watch villa than me to watch the city

Red John

Leaning in the chest freezer in the caravan shop as we called in on manor farm estate eating ice lollies whilst pretending to be searching for a cola tip top......then shouting abuse at dirty girty the local bag lady on our way home......feel bad about that now.....not the stealing of ice lollies the shouting of abuse!

olderskyblue

2p. How fuckin old are you
Tbf I can remember bag of chips from the beaker cafe for 20 p

bag of chips? You were lucky...

We used to go swimming at Livingston Road baths, and call in the chippy after for a free bag of scratchings. Only enough money left for the bus back to wood end.

olderskyblue

My thread has shown most of us would love to go back to our youth again. Let's face it adulthood is pretty shit so full of stress,and yes some kids had bad childhoods, but most of us loved ours. When I've met up with lads and girls from Walsgrave who were in our group back then,all have said how great it was and how they miss it all. Then again kids now probably think they have it better because of technology etc ? But we got on fine without it !

You were a cally kid weren't you bbr? Think we might have been in the same year.

clint van damme

WM travel ran it for about a year in the early 80's where kids could go into town for 2p. You could go cov baths, fishy moores and get home for less than £2.
the 2p fares and the NUPE(?) strike were probably the 2 biggest contributing factors to my lack of educational success, I was never at school.
Been a teenage pain in the arse know all probably contributed as well.

bringbackrattles

You were a cally kid weren't you bbr? Think we might have been in the same year.
Yes.Talbot and Greene.Tilley headmaster and remember Vic Webb the maths teacher ? Hard bastard he was ex Major type he used to punch pupils ! Great though if you liked football and rugby and we had great teams didn't we ?
One side we had we were the forward line for Cov Boys, and won no end of cups and medals,still got a few.

olderskyblue

Yes.Talbot and Greene.Tilley headmaster and remember Vic Webb the maths teacher ? Hard bastard he was ex Major type he used to punch pupils ! Great though if you liked football and rugby and we had great teams didn't we ?
One side we had we were the forward line for Cov Boys, and won no end of cups and medals,still got a few.

Alas, I was too crap to be in the school team, better at Rugger, so was in that team. The lads at the back were pretty good too, was it Paul (Riddington?) and Dave (Dursley?)? Not sure about the surnames.

bringbackrattles

Alas, I was too crap to be in the school team, better at Rugger, so was in that team. The lads at the back were pretty good too, was it Paul (Riddington?) and Dave (Dursley?)? Not sure about the surnames.
Not heard of those two to be honest. But the rugger teams were good until they played King Henry and Bablake !

dancers lance

Cider lolly with ice cream was also a favourite of mine.
A cider lolly or a cherry brandy lolly with a blob from the ice cream van.........heaven!

The Milk Bar at Canley Ford
leaving the house at 8am and not getting back till 8pm every day in the summer holidays
Great loyal friends
Marbles
Building dens in the woods
Building go-karts
Barnby's toy shop (i used to buy Zoids from there)
Going to the Social club on a Weekend
Waiting for my Dad to fall asleep on the sofa after a few beers so we could nick the change that fell out of his pocket
Rope swings

dutchman

This is a picture of the milk bar taken in 1969:
3007533229_d47f952efb.jpg

Sky Blue Pete

Great reading this. My biggest memories are at junior school age going to the memorial park and playing football or cricket all day with mates. No food all day and no checking in with mum and dad

bringbackrattles

I was telling my son how we got the cane at school on the hands.I remember getting it at Caludon and the teacher really laid it on and my fingertips were bleeding. My son looked shocked and said Dad why didn't you chin him ! Anyone who was at Cally at that time knows how they'd dish it out often for minor stuff.
My son didn't have corporal punishment at his schools so was lucky.

Terry Gibson's perm

I got hit with the ruler at school for fighting the head said does that hurt like an idiot I said no so he turned it on its side and hit me on the knuckles with it that hurt.

bringbackrattles

I got hit with the ruler at school for fighting the head said does that hurt like an idiot I said no so he turned it on its side and hit me on the knuckles with it that hurt.
Looking back at schooldays there were some sadistic bastards dishing out punishment.
One teacher had a thin cane and he'd bring it down from above his head,and you'd hear a whooshing sound and he'd have a demonic grin on his face.Another at Caludon would throw a board rubber at heads just for talking and often it left a lump the size of an egg on some lads forehead. Health and safety what the hell was that !

clint van damme

Looking back at schooldays there were some sadistic bastards dishing out punishment.
One teacher had a thin cane and he'd bring it down from above his head,and you'd hear a whooshing sound and he'd have a demonic grin on his face.Another at Caludon would throw a board rubber at heads just for talking and often it left a lump the size of an egg on some lads forehead. Health and safety what the hell was that !

we had a teacher who'd hit you on the arse with one of those plastic balls on a stick that you use to play a xylophone with, it stung like fuck and when he'd done it he'd make you sit down when all you wanted to do was run round until it stopped stinging. It was much worse than the cane, looking back, I can't believe he was allowed to do it.

eastwoodsdustman

We had a bloke at Cally, Mr Cassidy, who taught art. Anyone caught talking had to stand on one of those big art tables that sat about 10 people, bend over and he'd whack your arse with a massive table leg. Loads used to chuck the blackboard rubbers too.

eastwoodsdustman

Anyone used to make darts out of the stems from rockets after bonfire night? we used to put darts in the end as flights and a notch half way down and fire them off with a bit of string. They'd go for miles.

clint van damme

We had a bloke at Cally, Mr Cassidy, who taught art. Anyone caught talking had to stand on one of those big art tables that sat about 10 people, bend over and he'd whack your arse with a massive table leg. Loads used to chuck the blackboard rubbers too.

Think you've just trumped my xylophone stick!!

Users who are viewing this thread