Things From Your Childhood (1 Viewer)

eastwoodsdustman

Gazolba

The ice-cream vans were either D Di Mascio or Mr. Whippy. They had different jingles so you knew which was which.
The Di Di Mascio factory was on Stoney Stanton Road opposite the Red House pub.
Behind the Red House pub was the headquarters of the RHMS coach company (Red House Motor Services) one of the leading coach companies in Coventry in the 50's and 60's.

Gazolba

I loved fireworks, buying Bangers and Air bombs and letting em off in the flats at Willenhall because they echoed!!
My favourites were the conical shaped fireworks with names like "Stromboli" and "Mt. Etna". They were like mini volcanoes and spewed out fire and red lava, I would go around all the shops and just pick out all the different conical ones. The shopkeepers thought I was weird, and I probably was. I still have a fascination for volcanoes.

Monners

As mentioned - Dee Di's (as we called it) cherry brandy lollies with ice cream dolloped on.

And night games at HR - I used to get excited about football.

Malaka

Strange how you guys had your Ice cream blob on cider lollies, mine was always on a Banana one, in fact I had one the other day at Kingsbury Water Park IMG_0784.jpg

Captain Dart

The ice-cream vans were either D Di Mascio or Mr. Whippy. They had different jingles so you knew which was which.
Behind the Red House pub was the headquarters of the RHMS coach company (Red House Motor Services) one of the leading coach companies in Coventry in the 50's and 60's.
images+%25284%2529.jpg

Sky_Blue_Daz

A while back I was umming and ahhing about buying an old school ice cream van and driving it to Spain and taking it through the ex pat urbanizations

dutchman

Also Victor's (Victor Mancini). He had a café in Whitefriars Street and a stall in the market (which served pink ice cream). The garage was behind the Oak Inn.

Gazolba

Mr. Whippy van:
Mr-Whippy-Ice-Cream-Van.jpg

There is a book available about the D. Di Mascio company of Coventry. You can get it on Amazon, but it's expensive. I tried to post the link but it wouldn't post.

Last edited:

Gazolba

Can anyone remember the different brands of ice-cream they sold in shops? I remember 'Walls' but I know there were a few others. Was there one beginning with 'E'?

Users who are viewing this thread